AWS Backup Overview

AWS Backup is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top SaaS Backup tools. It is most often compared to Clumio: AWS Backup vs Clumio

What is AWS Backup?

AWS Backup is a fully managed backup service that makes it easy to centralize and automate the back up of data across AWS services in the cloud as well as on premises using the AWS Storage Gateway. Using AWS Backup, you can centrally configure backup policies and monitor backup activity for AWS resources, such as Amazon EBS volumes, Amazon RDS databases, Amazon DynamoDB tables, Amazon EFS file systems, and AWS Storage Gateway volumes. AWS Backup automates and consolidates backup tasks previously performed service-by-service, removing the need to create custom scripts and manual processes. With just a few clicks in the AWS Backup console, you can create backup policies that automate backup schedules and retention management. AWS Backup provides a fully managed, policy-based backup solution, simplifying your backup management, enabling you to meet your business and regulatory backup compliance requirements.

AWS Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

AWS Backup Customers

TransferWise

AWS Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Backup pricing:
  • "We don't use a lot of space, only approximately 900 GB, so the price is reasonable. For standing, it's okay. We normally do a payment to SSML, and they are the ones who pay over there. It is around $100 monthly."

AWS Backup Reviews

JayBaddigam
Head of Cloud COE at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 22, 2020
Easy to use and simple to set up, but limited file-level copying does not allow for SQL database backup and recovery

What is our primary use case?

AWS is the primary platform that we use for our internal needs and we are trying to best use whatever comes with it. So far, we are happy with AWS and we have 30% or 40% of our workflows implemented there. For example, we are very big SAP users and we use SAP HANA on AWS. In the future, we expected almost everything to be in AWS, with perhaps 10% of our work in Azure. We use the AWS Backup as a service to perform native backups and recovery of files and other data. It is also our disaster recovery solution.

• "The most valuable feature is its ease of use."
  • "One of the limitations of AWS Backup is that it only does file-based copying."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution for backup and recovery depends on the requirements. I would only recommend it for organizations that need a very simple solution. There is a lot of work that they need to do in the backup space because, at this time, it only does very basic backups. They don't appear to be prioritizing the building of a robust backup solution. It seems that they are more interested in having us work with another vendor, rather than them creating something that is already available. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Jnanakumari Sadasivam
IT Executive at Ls Advisors
Aug 20, 2020
Can restore a file within an hour

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server backup, which is done weekly. I'm also using AWS for QuickSight. It's been about four months since I'm using it for some statistical analysis. I'm still on that project, which is also AWS.

• "When I was using an on-premises backup, there was an external hard drive or something like that. I had a backup server, but I had a few problems related to transfer when I had to restore something that I have deleted. I had to wait for after-office hours to do something like that, but now I just have to send a mail. Within one hour, I have my restored file."
  • "Only the price could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

For me, it's great. I would rate AWS Backup a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Clumio, Veritas and others in SaaS Backup. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Andrei Sandulescu
IT Auditor & Compliance Officer at Intellimind
May 27, 2020
Has good replication in the recovery region

What is our primary use case?

We bought it as a service and deployed it. We use it to define each of our instances that we back up like the backup policy and the retention policy.

• "The replication in the recovery region is the most valuable feature."
  • "This backup tool does the full backup of the entire snapshot server. I would like to have the option to not do the full server backup."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to use it for its disaster recovery capabilities. I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like that when a backup fails, for it to try again automatically, which is doesn't do now. I would also like to have the ability to do a partial backup of the server.
Srinivas Kotamraju
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 29, 2020
Easy to use and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are services vendor for AWS and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. A project that I recently worked on involved a storage gateway and AWS Backup was used for backing up snapshots.

• "The most valuable feature is the daily incremental site backup."
  • "If AWS Backup were a hybrid solution that also supported on-premises backups then it would be very helpful, especially if you are doing a migration to the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

We have found that in terms of cloud preference, our customers are more inclined to use AWS. This is one of the reasons that AWS Backup is popular. Overall, AWS Backup is easy to use and I find that it is a good product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
ChetanGoyal
AWS / Big Data Engineer at Waste Management, Inc.
Dec 12, 2019
Effective overwrite features, a straightforward initial setup and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup for snapshots so that the data will not get corrupt or lost. It secures our data for us.

What is most valuable?

The solution has an effective overwrite feature.

What needs improvement?

The notifications on the backup and on the mobile app could be more useful. If they could arrange notes or notifications properly and offer services for managing it in our region, it would be helpful for us.

I've been using the solution for about a year and a half.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Right now, we have five or six people on our team using…
Product Categories
SaaS Backup
Download our free SaaS Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Clumio, Veritas, and more!