AWS Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Backup is #6 ranked solution in top SaaS Backup tools. IT Central Station users give AWS Backup an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Backup is most commonly compared to Veritas SaaS Backup:AWS Backup vs Veritas SaaS Backup. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is AWS Backup?

AWS Backup is a fully managed backup service that makes it easy to centralize and automate the back up of data across AWS services in the cloud as well as on premises using the AWS Storage Gateway. Using AWS Backup, you can centrally configure backup policies and monitor backup activity for AWS resources, such as Amazon EBS volumes, Amazon RDS databases, Amazon DynamoDB tables, Amazon EFS file systems, and AWS Storage Gateway volumes. AWS Backup automates and consolidates backup tasks previously performed service-by-service, removing the need to create custom scripts and manual processes. With just a few clicks in the AWS Backup console, you can create backup policies that automate backup schedules and retention management. AWS Backup provides a fully managed, policy-based backup solution, simplifying your backup management, enabling you to meet your business and regulatory backup compliance requirements.

Download the SaaS Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

AWS Backup Customers

TransferWise

AWS Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Backup pricing:
  • "There is a lot of flexibility with the services and pricing. The price is reasonable when compared to other products. This is very good for us."
  • "We don't use a lot of space, only approximately 900 GB, so the price is reasonable. For standing, it's okay. We normally do a payment to SSML, and they are the ones who pay over there. It is around $100 monthly."

AWS Backup Reviews

JB
Head of Cloud COE at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and simple to set up, but limited file-level copying does not allow for SQL database backup and recovery

• "The most valuable feature is its ease of use."
  • "One of the limitations of AWS Backup is that it only does file-based copying."

What is our primary use case?

AWS is the primary platform that we use for our internal needs and we are trying to best use whatever comes with it. So far, we are happy with AWS and we have 30% or 40% of our workflows implemented there. For example, we are very big SAP users and we use SAP HANA on AWS. In the future, we expected almost everything to be in AWS, with perhaps 10% of our work in Azure.

We use the AWS Backup as a service to perform native backups and recovery of files and other data. It is also our disaster recovery solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ease of use.

What needs improvement?

One of the limitations of AWS Backup is that it only does file-based copying. It is not as good as some of the external products for handling things like the Oracle Database backups. For example, it lacks the ability to do database backups and differential backups. It is doesn't keep a schedule, and it doesn't keep full track of success and failure. Overall, the functionality is pretty limited, although it does meet our requirements. For places that have deeper requirements, they use different software to do their backups.

In the future, I would like AWS Backup to be more robust and be able to handle database-level backups. It should support Oracle, MySQL, and other types of databases.

Better integration with standard backup management tools that provide control, such as the ability to schedule backups, would be an improvement.

We are been using AWS Backup for more than two years.

This is a stable solution.

AWS Backup is scalable. It is used to back up environments and not really for end-users. In our internal IT departments, we have probably 50 people using it.

We have reached out to AWS support and our technical architecture manager has a relationship with them. We provide constant feedback with respect to how the product is and what improvements need to be done. The developers are aware and they try to improve the features, but it's a slow process.

The initial setup is very simple. There is not much to it. We just need to run some primitive scripts.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution for backup and recovery depends on the requirements. I would only recommend it for organizations that need a very simple solution.

There is a lot of work that they need to do in the backup space because, at this time, it only does very basic backups. They don't appear to be prioritizing the building of a robust backup solution. It seems that they are more interested in having us work with another vendor, rather than them creating something that is already available.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

PM
SAP Basis and Solman Consultant at KTC
Flexible, highly scalable, and excellent technical support

• "The most valuable features we have found are the flexibility in the services offered."
  • "The AWS Backup backend reporting is a major area that needs improvement. We would be very excited if we can see some reporting, such as trends. We do understand that there are reports available for S3 Bucket, in which the AWS backend stores the data. However, if we can receive holistic reporting, then it would be very helpful for us."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for AWS Backup is for SAP systems, including all of HANA databases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features we have found are the flexibility in the services offered.

What needs improvement?

The AWS Backup backend reporting is a major area that needs improvement. We would be very excited if we can see some reporting, such as trends. We do understand that there are reports available for S3 Bucket, in which the AWS backend stores the data. However, if we can receive holistic reporting, then it would be very helpful for us.

I have been using AWS Backup for approximately three years.

AWS Backup is stable.

We have not found any issues with the scalability of AWS Backup. It is highly scalable because there are no size limitations to the S3 Bucket.

We have approximately 15 users using this solution in my organization which are mostly the backup team.

The technical support is amazing, it is the best.

We have previously used Data Protector but the stability and the support were very poor for the data, from the data protector side. It can be a possibility that the competencies for that as well were not also good. We addressed several cases to Micro Focus as well, but we did not receive a good response. Soon after we decided to go ahead with the AWS backend. We were happy with the tool and all the POCs that we have done.

The initial setup is very easy.

I did the implementation myself.

There is a lot of flexibility with the services and pricing. The price is reasonable when compared to other products. This is very good for us.

I have evaluated Micro Focus Backup tools.

What other advice do I have?

When comparing AWS Backup to any other backup solutions at the present time. If your product or if your systems are already on AWS, it would be highly recommended to go ahead with the AWS backend. If your systems are not on AWS, then you can choose any other cloud platform, such as Micro Focus Backup tools.

I would rate the solution higher if the reporting was available. However, it's a pretty new product for Amazon as well. We do understand the complexities, but there are other certain factors that we have seen that are causing us some difficulties, such as we cannot directly download files from S3. We have to utilize the AWS backend and only then can we download the files. If they can add this feature, it would be very helpful to allow us the direct download of files from S3 and then we can restore it directly on the HANA.

I rate AWS Backup an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Veritas, Clumio and others in SaaS Backup. Updated: October 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jnanakumari Sadasivam
IT Executive at Ls Advisors
Can restore a file within an hour

• "When I was using an on-premises backup, there was an external hard drive or something like that. I had a backup server, but I had a few problems related to transfer when I had to restore something that I have deleted. I had to wait for after-office hours to do something like that, but now I just have to send a mail. Within one hour, I have my restored file."
  • "Only the price could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server backup, which is done weekly.

I'm also using AWS for QuickSight. It's been about four months since I'm using it for some statistical analysis. I'm still on that project, which is also AWS.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Only the price could be improved.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

We do not do anything in terms of contacting AWS support. A company we use for support does that for us.

We use a company for support. It is an IT company in Mauritius, and they normally do everything for us. They do the deployment and everything. We just have to use their support.

I think we compared AWS and Azure, but we decided to take AWS because it is ranked as the number one for backup support. It was also about the cost etc. Normally, the directors make the final decision, and they were the ones who finalized about using AWS. The same applies to QuickSight. The director, who finalized it, is also the CEO of another company, and over there, he was using QuickSight, and he wanted to implement it here in our company.

What other advice do I have?

For me, it's great. I would rate AWS Backup a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Andrei Sandulescu
IT Auditor & Compliance Officer at Intellimind
Has good replication in the recovery region

• "The replication in the recovery region is the most valuable feature."
  • "This backup tool does the full backup of the entire snapshot server. I would like to have the option to not do the full server backup."

What is our primary use case?

We bought it as a service and deployed it. We use it to define each of our instances that we back up like the backup policy and the retention policy.

What is most valuable?

The replication in the recovery region is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have been using AWS Backup for three years.

The stability is good.

Scalability is good. We have around five to six users.

Technical support responds quickly.

We used a different backup solution from AWS. It was a more user-friendly version. AWS Backup was developed from a command-line application tool. The other solution was a more user-friendly version but it did the same thing.

The initial setup was simple. It took one to two days.

The licensing is not straightforward. You have to pay extra.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to use it for its disaster recovery capabilities.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like that when a backup fails, for it to try again automatically, which is doesn't do now. I would also like to have the ability to do a partial backup of the server.

Private Cloud

SK
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and the technical support is good

• "The most valuable feature is the daily incremental site backup."
  • "If AWS Backup were a hybrid solution that also supported on-premises backups then it would be very helpful, especially if you are doing a migration to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are services vendor for AWS and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. A project that I recently worked on involved a storage gateway and AWS Backup was used for backing up snapshots.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the daily incremental site backup.

It is quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

If AWS Backup were a hybrid solution that also supported on-premises backups then it would be very helpful, especially if you are doing a migration to the cloud. Ideally, I would like to take an AWS snapshot, move it to a storage vault, and then migrate it to the cloud. That would be a nice strategy and it would mean that I don't need to use two different backup approaches.

I have dealt with AWS technical support and they are very good. They are friendly and we have had good answers from them.

I have used Veeam, which is also capable of doing on-premises backups. This makes it better in terms of a holistic solution.

The complexity of the setup depends on the environment and the requirements. If it is a hybrid deployment with an on-premises component then it can take longer.

What other advice do I have?

We have found that in terms of cloud preference, our customers are more inclined to use AWS. This is one of the reasons that AWS Backup is popular.

Overall, AWS Backup is easy to use and I find that it is a good product.

CG
AWS / Big Data Engineer at Waste Management, Inc.
Effective overwrite features, a straightforward initial setup and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup for snapshots so that the data will not get corrupt or lost. It secures our data for us.

What is most valuable?

The solution has an effective overwrite feature.

What needs improvement?

The notifications on the backup and on the mobile app could be more useful. If they could arrange notes or notifications properly and offer services for managing it in our region, it would be helpful for us.

I've been using the solution for about a year and a half.

The solution is stable.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution has an effective overwrite feature.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about a year and a half.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Right now, we have five or six people on our team using it. Internally, we're trying to increase usage. We're migrating new and old accounts to it and revamping the organizational structure to utilize more cloud-based servers.

We've opened tickets with Amazon's technical support in the past year and their response time was fast. We've been satisfied with the level of support they've provided.

We didn't use a different solution before Amazon.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment for the backup takes 35 to 40 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd recommend new users implement the solution on a UC server if they use one.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Product Categories
SaaS Backup
Download our free SaaS Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Veritas, Clumio, and more!