AWS Database Migration Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Database Migration Service is #6 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools. IT Central Station users give AWS Database Migration Service an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Database Migration Service is most commonly compared to Oracle GoldenGate:AWS Database Migration Service vs Oracle GoldenGate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is AWS Database Migration Service?

AWS Database Migration Service helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely. The source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database. The AWS Database Migration Service can migrate your data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases.

AWS Database Migration Service is also known as AWS Data Migration Service.

Download the Cloud Data Integration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

AWS Database Migration Service Customers

Veoci, Trimble, Nasdaq, shaadi.com, Hotelbeds, SysAid, Verizon, Expedia, Pega

AWS Database Migration Service Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Database Migration Service pricing:
  • "Pricing can be improved."
  • "The pricing can be better and it should be more competitive."

AWS Database Migration Service Reviews

SP
Digital Services & Engagement Senior Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Stable service but requires additional applications for full functionality

• "The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application."
  • "Migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, we are currently using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to the AWS cloud. A few more services would be really helpful for me to move the master data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that I can easily automate. I don't want many resources working on setting up a new IDE and creating an application and so on. We can make use of the existing applications in the cloud and I can do a workflow management very easily.

What is most valuable?

In selected or traditional databases on-premise, the backup and maintenance are very difficult. If you are maintaining a complete platform, like a Linux platform, you will need to apply some regular DB patches, so things are very difficult here. But in AWS RDS, there are many databases available for which the maintenance will be taken care of by the AWS team and different scalable databases also available. For example, currently we are using other database subscriptions which are very useful for my applications. Earlier we had Oracle Streams but we migrated to Aurora.

The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application. For example, day to day, there are developers trying to run SQL scripts which will cause problems in the database. So instead of troubleshooting, I can simply roll back to the existing set so that they can work easily. The support that I get for my project and the deadline to release one new feature will usually take three to four months on on-premise. Now, since I have migrated to AWS, I can finish it in one or two months.

What needs improvement?

There is something where AWS Database Migration can be improved. Many of the application teams don't want to invest on a migration. They don't want to use the Database Migration service. They want us to export to the dump point, database backup, and then put it into the RDS. There is not a cast and mold on it except in the database and that's it. So migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge, and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, currently we are using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to AWS cloud. I need a few more services which would be really helpful for me to move the master data.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for almost four years to move applications from on-premise to AWS cloud.

It is stable in terms of the data.

It is scalable. Nothing that we execute needs to be touched in the database. They simply do the code only. So whatever changes we do in the database will be tracked.

If you raise an AWS support issue you will get an immediate response from them so I can resolve my issue as early as possible. That is a good thing. That is why I am likely to take the support from AWS and enable the service very quickly. They have good experts who are available. That has been my experience.  Let's take an example from IBM technical support. I raised a case related to the IBM One Sheet. I'm following up now for one week and they are not responding properly.

What other advice do I have?

I have not explored other solutions like GCP or Azure, but I have used the AWS side. On a scale of one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration a seven.

This score is because of a few difficulties I faced when setting it up. Because I worked on different applications on a couple of projects, I cannot completely make use of the AWS database. Maybe that is a developer mistake or something. That's the reason I am rating it a seven for now.

Hybrid Cloud
Alvaro Quiroga Toledo
Senior Solutions Architect at DBSolution
A database migration service that's highly user-friendly, but needs more migration tools

• "The tools are very user-friendly."
  • "I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics"

What is our primary use case?

I use AWS Database Migration Service to migrate Oracle databases and PostgreSQL databases. I work with both databases and work with different migration scenarios.

What is most valuable?

The tools are very user-friendly. You can have instances or replications instances from the databases with two or more clicks. The console is also very user-friendly, and it's very easy to create new instances for migration purposes.

What needs improvement?

I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics. We need more migration tools or more specific tools for migration and licenses. It's a very complicated scenario because, in some cases, we need specific licenses to create new instances, and some instances are very expensive. That's a very manual scenario.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for about one and a half years.

AWS Database Migration Service is a stable solution. It's good for me.

I'm very impressed with its scalability.

AWS has very good support for this, and that's why my customers choose AWS for deploying their resources in the cloud.

In the beginning, the initial setup was very hard, but then it became very easy. The information that the customer gives us isn't complete, and this is the most complex part of the process. Then we use some tools because we need to consider the indexes, tables, and other things in our databases.

Pricing can be improved. In some cases, the price of the instances are very expensive.

Our clients evaluated other options like Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud, and Huawei Cloud. I think AWS Database Migration Services is a very robust solution compared to other cloud providers.

What other advice do I have?

AWS is the leading provider of cloud services. It has extensive experience in this kind of scenario. The other cloud providers need to improve their tools and their licensing procedures. In this case, the licensing procedures are very complex for migration scenarios.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration Service a seven.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software and others in Cloud Data Integration. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RC
Consultant Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good DNS services and has good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We use this program to migrate from SQL to RDS, or from Oracle to RDS, or from Oracle to Aurora and so on.

What is most valuable?

I find the DNS services to be the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The pricing can be better and it should be more competitive, so I would like to see an improvement there.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for more than ten years now.

The program is very stable.

I was very impressed by the scalability of AWS Database Migration Service. One of our clients has more than 15,000 users.

We…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I find the DNS services to be the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for more than ten years now.

The program is very stable.

We don't really use their technical support but I believe the technical team will be able to help with any issues that may arise.

The initial setup was really easy and it took us about an hour to set everything up. We have our own team of about 45 people that was responsible for the implementation. The maintenance of the program is mostly automatic.

It is a very expensive program and you pay a license fee based on the amount of users you have. And besides the license fees, there are additional costs for migration.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good program and I will give it an eight out of ten rating. I would like to see more migration options in the next release.

DB
Net Full-Stack developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Works well with large databases, but could use more integration with other tools

• "It's pretty useful when we need to migrate something big from a different type of database that AWS Data Migration Services supports."
  • "Database Migration Service could be more integrated. I think that it makes sense to add integration to these functions. For example, AWS Glue has a feature called Orchestrator to create data flows, and that's more straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We don't use Data Migration Services regularly. We only use it when we need to migrate a relatively large database from on-premises to the cloud. From my point of view, it was the best option in this case.

How has it helped my organization?

It provided the ability to create more, less optimized data warehouses. And simplify support and working with data.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty useful when we need to migrate something big from a different type of database that AWS Data Migration Services supports. But it's more convenient to use Glue if we're dealing with a regular data load, like migrating a table.

What needs improvement?

Database Migration Service could be more integrated. I think that it makes sense to add integration to these functions. For example, AWS Glue has a feature called Orchestrator to create data flows, and that's more straightforward. But it's not easy to do the same things with Database Migration Service.

Database Migration Service is stable.

I would say Database Migration Service is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS Database Migration Service six out of 10. However, if you are considering it, you should get a good idea of what you need. It's useful for some jobs, but you need to know how to use this better.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SwagatamRout
Tech Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Low-maintenance and quite scalable but needs to offer a dedicated bandwidth

• "As the solution is on the cloud, we don't have to worry about the maintenance of software."
  • "It would be helpful if the bandwidth could be independent of the network or if we could have a dedicated bandwidth for this product."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution to migrate our archive and data, which we are storing in our local servers, to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its warning of the costs of the migration.

The administrative aspects of the solution are very good. When we need to, we can increase our speed.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the bandwidth could be independent of the network or if we could have a dedicated bandwidth for this product.

In terms of dedicated bandwidth, if it can be support Excel or prioritize Excel based on the data it is going to transfer, it would be better.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is quite scalable. We have more than 100 users currently on the solution.

I've never reached out to technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy to deploy and takes about 40 to 45 minutes. It does depend on the server and configuration, however.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Product Categories
Cloud Data Integration
Download our free Cloud Data Integration Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software, and more!