AWS Lambda OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Lambda is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Compute Service tools. It is most often compared to AWS Batch: AWS Lambda vs AWS Batch

What is AWS Lambda?

AWS Lambda is a compute service that lets you run code without provisioning or managing servers. AWS Lambda executes your code only when needed and scales automatically, from a few requests per day to thousands per second. You pay only for the compute time you consume - there is no charge when your code is not running. With AWS Lambda, you can run code for virtually any type of application or backend service - all with zero administration. AWS Lambda runs your code on a high-availability compute infrastructure and performs all of the administration of the compute resources, including server and operating system maintenance, capacity provisioning and automatic scaling, code monitoring and logging. All you need to do is supply your code in one of the languages that AWS Lambda supports (currently Node.js, Java, C# and Python).

You can use AWS Lambda to run your code in response to events, such as changes to data in an Amazon S3 bucket or an Amazon DynamoDB table; to run your code in response to HTTP requests using Amazon API Gateway; or invoke your code using API calls made using AWS SDKs. With these capabilities, you can use Lambda to easily build data processing triggers for AWS services like Amazon S3 and Amazon DynamoDB process streaming data stored in Amazon Kinesis, or create your own back end that operates at AWS scale, performance, and security.

AWS Lambda Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS Lambda Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

AWS Lambda Customers

Netflix

AWS Lambda Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Lambda pricing:
  • "AWS is slightly more expensive than Azure."

Forest Lin
IoT/AI/Enterprise Solutions Architect at Tech Data Corporation
Reseller
Programming is getting much easier and does not need a lot of configuration

What is our primary use case?

AWS Lambda has serverless programming, like Logic Apps from Azure. You just configure the run-time and then they start coding. It is event-driven. It started with my obtaining Salesforce. Salesforce is a low-code and non-code program and totally SAS. Everything starts from the event, from the trigger. You get the trigger and you work at the program. You have some other models, maybe faster or fancier models. But in my opinion, this kind of program is started by locating the system and identifying where the trigger and entry point of the program are. Then you get the full advantage of the… more »

• "Amazon takes care of the scalability. That's the right way. It's automatic and it's fully managed. That's one benefit of Lambda."
  • "I think that perhaps Lambda could explore its functionality more."

What other advice do I have?

Everybody should check out AWS Lambda. That's why I didn't explore much and it was at the top of my list. This is a fully managed model. The number one. This is for the future. In the future, many of the EC2 applications may be replaced by Lambda. If I started something from scratch, I would try to use Lambda. It's much simpler. It can simplify a lot. If you add the scalability into the picture, it could have 80% or 90% of the complexity. They are very important. All the servlets are very important from a cloud computing perspective. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate AWS Lambda an eight…
Rohit M
AWS Platform Head & Chief Architect - CMA Unit at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to develop services quickly and easily in any language for deployment on the cloud

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, I work with all my clients to provide them with solutions. We are a service company, so we work with clients to define and build applications that resolve their need for automation issues. I create the solutions, and then there is a delivery team of mine which works to deliver that solution to the client.

• "The ease and speed of developing the services using any available language is the most valuable feature."
  • "The product needs some updating as far as ease-of-customization and configuration opportunities to work with solutions outside of the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend AWS Lambda. There are a lot of successful test cases both with our clients and other startups which are doing really well using Lambda as a solution. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate AWS Lambda as an eight-out-of-ten. That would be the right number at this time considering the product is lacking in some areas.
Learn what your peers think about AWS Lambda. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PZ
Senior Analyst with 11-50 employees
Stable and scalable with a good overall design

What is our primary use case?

We have some APIs and we use some mechanisms to process these APIs. Normally, some APIs need to be hosted by some servers. However, with this product, we can compute everything serverless.

• "The solution is designed very well. You don't need to keep a server up. You just need some router to route your API request and Lambda provides a very well-designed feature to process the request."
  • "We need to better understand Lambda for different scenarios. We need some joint effort between Amazon and the users to have the users identify how they can really leverage Lambda. It's not about Lambda itself; it's about the practice, the guidance. There needs to be very good documentation. From the user perspective, what exists now is not always enough."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. Lambda is very good. I don't collect feedback from other colleagues or other members. However, from my perspective, Lambda is good. I would rate it nine out of ten, based on my experience alone. The best advice I can give other organizations is that it's better to consider your scenarios and see what is scenario is suitable for the functions or services you require, or not. Don't try to move your applications just because of new technology and new concepts. Consider carefully your requirements and that will help you…
Wilfred Thomson
Senior Cloud Consultant at GBM
MSP
Mature and scalable with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

The product serves as a function as a service, a serverless environment, you can say. It's a serverless environment, or, as some people call it, function as a service, FaaS. We have been using it as a mobile backend. We have a mobile frontend, a mobile application, which uses the AWS Lambda functions running in the cloud. It serves as an API backend for a mobile application that is running in the frontend.

• "The solution is highly scalable."
  • "The user-friendliness of the solution could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution currently. I cannot say which version number it is. I don't know it off-hand. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been pretty happy with the capabilities so far. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. This is much better than the other serverless solutions.
AW
CEO at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
It does all the management and has great scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

We are a startup, and we are doing faster and cheaper storage for IT. We are going to offer our storage services in about two months, and we are starting with AWS. We do lossless compression using microservices. We do the compute in a lossless compression way similar to gzip, WinZip, or PKZIP, except that we are giving a discount to customers. The product that we are developing is not yet in the market. We are doing alpha testing for select customers who are using AWS. The biggest advantage is that you get faster storage without doing a forklift upgrade, and you get 35% cheaper storage. So… more »

• "The cool thing about AWS Lambda is that AWS does all the management. For compression, it is all about making the data small and then making it regular size again. We have an encode function and a decode function. AWS Lambda schedules each of those for us. It has a load balancer and all the fancy stuff, depending on the demand. The most valuable part of AWS Lambda is that I only need to write the software. I need to write two functions, and my cloud developer turns them into two AWS Lambda instances. That's it."
  • "One area of improvement is to include support for more programming languages. AWS Lambda does not support a lot of programming languages. You have to write the Lambda functions in a certain programming language. We are using C++. My developer knows a couple of other languages. Python is his favorite language, but Python is not supported in AWS Lambda."

What other advice do I have?

They have a program for AWS customers called Activate. With the Activate program, you can get compute and storage credits. They gave us like $10,000 worth of credit over 18 months. I would recommend using this solution. It was the first microservice. It doesn't have much overhead, and it does what it claims to do. I would rate AWS Lambda an eight out of ten. It is a good solution.
YK
Senior Director - Technolog at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has a rich set of services and enables us to focus on building the business functionality that we want to build

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our financial institutions. We use it for many customers that we work with. We develop solutions for our customers and run them on AWS. We wanted to build the solution on the public cloud and out of all the public cloud providers, AWS is the best. It has a rich set of services.

• "It's a serverless solution which is the best feature. It helps us because it offers free aspects. From the infrastructure perspective, it helps us manage costs. There is no overhead of estimating how much infrastructure we're going to need. We can focus on building the business functionality that we want to build."
  • "If you are setting it up on hybrid solution, there is a lot of work that needs to go in."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It was missing features like initialization but they are available now in the latest release. It is good for smaller companies that don't have a lot of staff that will manage the infrastructure. It automatically scales based on the users and allocating the resources. From a cost perspective, it is quite cheap. It takes out a lot of overhead. If it's for a large company with a lot of experts, there are other good solutions.
Ashish Jaiswal
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great technical support, good stability, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our backup coding for one of the ABDI services. We had a big job for the callout function, therefore we implemented Lambda here.

• "It's a fairly easy solution to learn."
  • "We'd love to see more integration potential in the future."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. It automatically updates as it is based on the cloud. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We are quite happy with its overall capabilities. I'd recommend the solution to other users and other organizations. It's very easy to learn.
DC
Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Extremely scalable, stable, and often free to use

What is our primary use case?

The product is primarily used to deploy code and provision a software solution to your clients when they don't have the time. You don't have to pay for the servers and the uptime.

• "It is my preferred product, as it provides me with source code within the solution."
  • "The product could make the process of integration easier."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and have clients on the solution. I've had a very good experience with the product. I would rate it at a ten out of ten. I would recommend the product to all developers.
See 6 more AWS Lambda Reviews
Product Categories
Compute Service
Download our free AWS Lambda Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.