AWS Snowball OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Snowball is #2 ranked solution in top Data Migration Appliances. IT Central Station users give AWS Snowball an average rating of 10 out of 10. AWS Snowball is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Data Box:AWS Snowball vs Microsoft Azure Data Box. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is AWS Snowball?

Snowball is a petabyte-scale data transport solution that uses devices designed to be secure to transfer large amounts of data into and out of the AWS Cloud. Using Snowball addresses common challenges with large-scale data transfers including high network costs, long transfer times, and security concerns. Customers today use Snowball to migrate analytics data, genomics data, video libraries, image repositories, backups, and to archive part of data center shutdowns, tape replacement or application migration projects. Transferring data with Snowball is simple, fast, more secure, and can be as little as one-fifth the cost of transferring data via high-speed Internet.

AWS Snowball was previously known as Amazon AWS Snowball, Amazon Snowball, Snowball.

AWS Snowball Customers

Wazee Digital, Craftsy, Live Nation, Essess

AWS Snowball Video

AWS Snowball Reviews

BS
CEO at eBiashara Ltd
Transfers data easily into and out of the cloud for all size clients

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Snowball is ETL data extract. Transform and load. That's what we're using Snowball for at the moment. So basically adding an analytical layer on top of the current data warehouses for some of our customers.

What is most valuable?

From our point of view, one of the most important features are the ability to combine, to mesh data together. Also, the ability to have them compute out of AWS rather than buying our own infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

It does have room for improvement. The ability to better ingest some of the big data.

Also, improvement with prepackaging of the tool, rather than trying to use the developer set. Meaning to prepackage the solution better for different industries. Today, you don't get to prepackage, you have to build a lot of this from scratch.

I have a list of 40 items on my desk, which I shared with AWS to hopefully help them in their road map on the next program.

I have been using AWS for about three years now and Snowball for the last six, seven months.

I find it extremely stable compared to the rest. I think maybe because of the infrastructure AWS provides.

With AWS you can scale, you have elastic scalability.

In our company we are 100-150 users. Not all technicians, some are end users. Some are technicians, some are services for providing solutions to customers down the line.

Our experience with technical support is very good. Very, very good. There's been a lot of technical support. We are an APN partner here.

We just got into data migration recently, so we just began with AWS out and out. We find it easy to use.

The setup is really easy. For me it's easy but I don't know about for the rest

Last week we deployed it in three days maximum from start to finish for one build. One dashboard literally.

In terms of advice for future users, plan to assess your data correctly and make sure that the AWS architecture is built correctly.

What other advice do I have?

We are part of the AWS Partner network.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AnupChapalgaonkar
Cloud Solution Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Very scalable, with good technical support and good setup assistance

• "You are able to scale the solution vertically. It's very scalable."
  • "The stability of the solution isn't ideal and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are trying to model the solution with some other vendors like Azure on a public cloud environment. We are creating some scale models will identify the public cloud networks over the internet. We are trying to evaluate the functionality.

What is most valuable?

We are currently exploring the solution, as it's still quite new to our organization.

What needs improvement?

We are experiencing a few glitches that could be improved. The stability could be adjusted.

We've been using the solution for three months.

The stability of the solution isn't ideal and should be improved.

You are able to scale the solution vertically. It's very scalable.

We have eight to ten thousand users on the solution currently.

We've been satisfied with technical support.

The actual implementation on the production side is complex. To understand it is very simple, however.

We've had AWS consultants assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We have an entirely public cloud environment. Once it has been successfully deployed on the public channel we can't extend that functionality to the hybrid one.

We're a very large company with around 20 million users that include architects, developers, and admin and staff.

It's a very nice service. We'd highly recommend it. I'd rate it eight out of ten.