AWS Storage Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Storage Gateway is #3 ranked solution in top Cloud Storage Gateways. IT Central Station users give AWS Storage Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Storage Gateway is most commonly compared to StorSimple: AWS Storage Gateway vs StorSimple. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is AWS Storage Gateway?

AWS Storage Gateway is a hybrid storage service that enables your on-premises applications to seamlessly use AWS cloud storage. You can use the service for backup and archiving, disaster recovery, cloud bursting, storage tiering, and migration. Your applications connect to the service through a gateway appliance using standard storage protocols, such as NFS and iSCSI. The gateway connects to AWS storage services, such as Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, and Amazon EBS, providing storage for files, volumes, and virtual tapes in AWS. The service includes a highly-optimized data transfer mechanism, with bandwidth management, automated network resilience, and efficient data transfer, along with a local cache for low-latency on-premises access to your most active data.

AWS Storage Gateway Customers

King, NEWLOG Consulting, Southern Oregon University, Religare Enterprises Limited, TGIX CloudCover, Moderna Therapeutics, JustGiving, VeriStor

AWS Storage Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Storage Gateway pricing:
  • "There is a monthly subscription for the use of this solution."

AWS Storage Gateway Reviews

BV
Profesional Services Manager for EMEA
Flexible, stable, and easy to configure

• "It's a cloud storage solution, which makes it quite flexible. If you have one terabyte today and need ten tomorrow, it's not a problem."
  • "We've had issues with bandwidth in the past, and we don't know where the bottlenecks are. We're not sure if it's on the AWS side or with the clients or the configuration in between. There's no visibility."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as a gateway to AWS's storage solutions. It's a bundle of different services. We have it so that we can archive data and restore data from the archive.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite inexpensive, which is its most valuable feature.

It's really easy to configure and use.

What needs improvement?

Since the configuration and maintenance is done by the client most of the time, it's hard to know if there are any issues with the solution. I haven't heard of any.

The solution should also be more clear on the pricing. It can be misleading because it looks so low at first but then can get to be quite expensive. It might be better if they charged upfront.

I've been working with AWS and various AWS solutions since 2016, so, for about three or four years now. For Storage Gateway specifically, I've been working with it for only six months to a year now.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't faced any issues with it at all.

The solution is extremely scalable and users can do so quite quickly if they need to. It's the nature of cloud storage as a whole.

I've never been in direct contact with technical support myself.

I only use the solution and did not handle the implementation, so I don't know if the initial setup is straightforward or not.

Everything in the cloud is more agile, so I assume deployment of the solution is quite quick.

Storage Gateway acts as a connection to AWS Storage. At the moment, I'm working with S3 Storage in AWS, which is really cheap. However, cloud computing can get costly. It's a bit misleading because the original offering is low, but it can escalate and get expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization works with an Amazon partner as preferred services consultants.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If there was more visibility into where issues originated when we had bandwidth problems, I'd give it a higher mark simply because it would help us better handle the issues we sometimes have. Also, because I'm not maintaining or configuring it myself, it's hard for me to fully gauge how well the product operates.

However, I do find the solution to be quite flexible and it is evolving quickly.

I'd warn others considering implementing it to follow the proper training and make sure it is configured properly.

Oded Kellner
VP of Product Management at Zadara
Stable solution but the setup is complex and requires expertise

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is simple. When you need especially high performance, and require the cache or a local copy of your data, you can't afford the round trip to the cloud and back each time you want to read something. So you keep your information stored locally, cached locally, and then the major repository is in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The stability is probably the most valuable aspect of the product.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by making the setup process simpler.

I've been using the product for a couple of years.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The stability is probably the most valuable aspect of the product.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by making the setup process simpler.

I've been using the product for a couple of years.

The stability has to be a given. Without that, you wouldn't use the product. It needs to be a reliable solution.

In terms of scalability, it really depends on the organization. Some may need to expand, for others it's not necessary. But the product is readily scalable.

I haven't personally had contact with technical support but others in the organization have. Generally speaking, we are happy with the service but sometimes they carry out maintenance on the product without informing us which leads to unexpected downtime and some issues.

The initial setup takes some hours. It could be simplified and that would make the user experience better. It's quite complex and requires some expertise to set up, connect to the cloud, and open.

I'm not familiar with the financial side and don't know much about the setup cost but as mentioned we don't use it for production.

What other advice do I have?

We implement both on-premise and in the cloud.

There is room for improvement in the product, especially with the setup process which is not simple.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

DC
Corporate Finance Head at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Better than the traditional way of having a physical server

• "The most valuable feature is that it requires less utilization of space, compared to storing directly to the database of the system. It offers a unique way of doing things."
  • "I cannot say it's perfect."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to store data for all of our systems for our finance operations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it requires less utilization of space, compared to storing directly to the database of the system. It offers a unique way of doing things.

We don't have any issues with stability.

It is scalable.

We have our own internal team that handles the support.

It's not that easy but not that complex as well. Another team handled the deployment, I'm not sure how long it took them to complete the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

From my perspective, it's better than the traditional way of having a physical server. It is much better than our previous solution.

I know there are a lot of similar products like this but as it's in the cloud, I can say that it's much better for any company to have their system or their databases housed in cloud. Big and small companies big have to start migrating their systems.

Especially during lockdown, it is much easier for us to work from the cloud, if the employees don't have access to an on-site system or the office. It makes it a lot easier to work from home. It's better if your software is in the cloud.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because I cannot say that it's perfect.

MM
Chef manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable, handles large amounts of data, and straightforward installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using AWS Storage Gateway for migration purposes from our on-premise data to Amazon AWS Cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution gives us the ability to move large amounts of data to the cloud and it gives us on-premises connectivity. Additionally, the storage can be shared from the cloud to on-premise.

What needs improvement?

The security could improve in the solution.

I have been using AWS Storage Gateway for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable and agile. We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution.

How are customer service and

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The security could improve in the solution.

I have been using AWS Storage Gateway for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable and agile.

We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution.

The technical support is good from Amazon.

The installation is easy.

We have a team of three technicians that do the implementation and maintenance of the solutions.

There is a monthly subscription for the use of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate AWS Storage Gateway an eight out of ten.