AWS WAF OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS WAF is #3 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. IT Central Station users give AWS WAF an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS WAF is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Application Gateway:AWS WAF vs Microsoft Azure Application Gateway. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is AWS WAF?

AWS WAF is a web application firewall that helps protect your web applications from common web exploits that could affect application availability, compromise security, or consume excessive resources. AWS WAF gives you control over which traffic to allow or block to your web applications by defining customizable web security rules. You can use AWS WAF to create custom rules that block common attack patterns, such as SQL injection or cross-site scripting, and rules that are designed for your specific application. New rules can be deployed within minutes, letting you respond quickly to changing traffic patterns. Also, AWS WAF includes a full-featured API that you can use to automate the creation, deployment, and maintenance of web security rules.

AWS WAF is also known as AWS Web Application Firewall.

AWS WAF Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS WAF Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

AWS WAF Customers

eVitamins, 9Splay, Senao International

AWS WAF Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS WAF pricing:
  • "AWS is not that costly by comparison. They are maybe close to $40 per month. I think it was between $29 or $39."
  • "We are kind of doing a POC comparison to see what works best. Pricing-wise, AWS is one of the most attractive ones. It is fairly cheap, and we like the pricing part. We're trying to see what makes more sense operation-wise, license-wise, and pricing-wise."
  • "It's quite affordable. It's in the middle."
  • "The pricing should be more affordable, especially as it pertains to small clients."
  • "It has a variable pricing scheme."

AWS WAF Reviews

Vinamra Singhai
Principal Engineer at Nineleaps Technology
Use this product to make it possible to deploy web applications securely

• "This product supplies options for web security for applications accessing sensitive information."
  • "The technical support does not respond to bugs in the coding of the product."

What is our primary use case?

There are two things that we primarily use AWS WAF (Amazon Web Services Web Application Firewall) for. One use is within the company. Within the company, the intended use is to deploy our applications. It is like working with the cloud. We can start an application in S3 (Simple Storage Service), and use profiles for access to data.

The other use is that most of our clients use a similar infrastructure. They are either using AWS, Azure or maybe Google Cloud Platform (GCP). We deploy this solution for them.

Both uses are different. One is for the cloud solutions like AWS, Azure and GCP, and one is for the local server access. That is how you want to secure a server. You are securing a server, database, app servers, and ATA gateways. The other one is for implementing security for the AWS. You want to have both running side-by-side.

Let me give you an example. Suppose, most of the people working for your company are connected from external locations with company-provided laptops or systems. I want to check all devices to make sure that they are being used in a secure way and not creating any breach of security. Those checks cannot be taken care of reliably from the AWS perspective. This is why you need two solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to use the product to enhance security in deploying web applications.

What needs improvement?

We have not implemented WAF completely. We are working around that issue right now in the AWS. We are creating log files and then we are using Kibana for analysis. Out WAF deployment is not perfected yet so it is not implemented as our long-term solution. It will take another month to complete the setup. I do not have the big picture on it yet in a live environment, so my view of what will need to be improved under load is limited.

I think one thing that should be available is that if there are technical problems in the AWS, then there should be automated alerts to AWS. Calling support is not that easy. It would be better to automatically send emails to them to report that there is a bug in their programming.

I have an idea for a new feature to consider. I think the security area and other things that they provide are good, and I know there are third-party integrations. It provides a lot of value. The problem is that the 'value' of the solution makes it very costly. That is a big thing. $20,000 for this solution seems like a lot.

Right now we are limited to only MySQL and PostgreSQL databases. There should be other options and also a way to check the security of it. I think AWS should develop and make available some kind of a management screen so we can see the logs, which servers are using the service, and how the security is performing. All we can see right now is if there are any security breaches. This is not enough information to evaluate the performance of the system.

For example, there are a lot of people using MongoDB databases. Over the last two years, a lot of them got hacked. Mongo should have had a way to alert end users if its facilities get hacked. A manager or some administrator should receive an email saying that this or that account got hacked and there was a security breach. This would be enough notification to prompt taking other appropriate actions.

There should also be a report or alerts which tell us that the configuration is having security issues. I think there is something called PVE security rules which might be implemented. Of course, Cisco's security rules could also be implemented. Once the rules are implemented, we know for certain if they are providing a secure connection or not. We need some type of check on the configuration that can create alerts for potential security issues and to have proper notifications.

We have been in the implementation process with the product for some time but it is not yet live because we are not totally satisfied with the setup.

I am not satisfied with AWS technical support. It is a long story. Two years back I contacted support because their code was not working. The solution itself was not perfect and there was a bug in the system. It was creating a lot of issues and there is no way to contact support.

I tried to contact them to tell them that they had a problem with AWS, they wanted me to pay them $200 to tell them there was a problem with their product — which is very strange. What I did instead was to send an email to their sales department at AWS to explain to them that there was a coding issue and that the software was not working as it was supposed to. After many months, they replied that this was not a problem for the sales department. They said they would forward the issue to the technical support team. When the technical support team received the information, they asked for money again to solve the problem in the coding of their own product.

I just wanted to tell them that they had a problem. They gave me a run-around and would not even look at the issue that was on their end which must have affected more clients than just me. So I think in that way, the technical support is not good. If there is a problem or a bug within the AWS services, there is no way to contact anyone for a resolution. That is a problem and not a good way to run technical support.

We were using ManageEngine. A problem with using ManageEngine was that ManageEngine can help in securing the servers and API gateways and app servers, but it cannot help to tell if there is any breach in security from a company-provided laptop. We needed a better solution that covered this vulnerability.

This product is not straightforward to set up and deploy. In the area of database security, it is especially complex. This is especially true when you want to do security for the cloud. There may be applications that will allow software on the cloud to access your in-house servers. If your in-house servers are available and there is a database, you want to secure it. You can do that more easily in-house than you can on the cloud but you have to be sure it is configured and secured properly.

As far as pricing considerations, there are other competitors to consider. All the solutions are not easy and all will not do exactly the same thing or even what you need. SecureSphere is expensive, I think $20,000 per year. If you go for ManageEngine or any other solution, they also go for close to $10,000. It depends on how many applications you are running and how many servers you have. They can easily run into close to $10,000 a year. Database security and application security are generally costly solutions.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a seven or an eight. I do not like to give it a solid rating as of now because we are still in the process of implementing it. Once we have completed the implementation, we will be able to give you a proper answer. As recent as two weeks we were still considering ManageEngine, but we did finally decide in our comparisons that it cannot provide all of the features that we are looking for.

Venkatesh VRH
Cloud security Consultant at 8KMiles
MSP
Stable and scalable with a free-to-use version

• "AWS has flexibility in terms of WAF rules."
  • "When users choose the free service, there isn't great support available to them."

What is our primary use case?

A primary use case example is when a customer from the cloud wants to expose his applications to the internet. We make sure that the clients, the applications, whatever they're trying to export, are public but that it's not going directly public. We make a backup, for instance, to protect the sellers and applications from security checks, etc.

What is most valuable?

There are two models. One is, you can use the free services which you can download from the AWS website. There is also a paid version, where you can go for individual vendors, like Impala, Fortinet, and different vendors, which helps you to attain the top end web application security. It helps them to update the security patches, etc.

AWS has flexibility in terms of WAF rules. Users can choose from using a free service, which you can do from your own end, or a third-party vendor if you want to as well by choosing a paid version. WAF rules can be managed either by your own self or you can go for a third party.

The best thing with the solution is there is no hard and fast route and when I go for AWS. It's not a monopoly environment.

What needs improvement?

There isn't room for improvement per se. the cloud is constantly evolving and changing however, so we'll see what the future brings.

When users choose the free service, there isn't great support available to them. This is because, when it comes to any issues, due to the fact that it says that when the rules are defined by the users, it becomes their responsibility. When there are any problems or threats, which don't get mitigated or the threat is not being properly managed, since the rules are owned by the user, they take responsibility for everything. It would be helpful if AWS could take a bit of responsibility here and help users understand where things went wrong.

Support wise, I don't think they are that good compared to individual vendors. When it comes to vendors, it becomes their product, and being a product owner, they take more responsibility and ownership of issues. AWS doesn't do that at all.

I've been using the solution for two and a half years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't run into bugs or glitches. It's reliable. You don't see any downtime.

Since we're talking more about the cloud version of the web application firewall, it's highly scalable. When I say scaling, there is a concept called auto-scaling wherein which you can scale up and scale down according to your amount of traffic load. It's automated, so it's highly scalable, actually.

While any company can use AWS, we see a lot of medium-sized firms using this particular solution, as opposed to larger companies, as those have already their own vendors which are already in the on-premises data centers environment.

I would say from the support point of view, there should be more flexibility when it comes to when users have issues to be able to ask for their help. They need to try to go the extra mile and right now they just aren't doing that.

We've only used AWS for a few customers. Usually, we recommend a different solution. However, it depends on the client and the type of budget that they have. As one version of AWS is free, sometimes that is the only option.

The initial setup is not difficult. It's very straightforward.

Deployment is pretty quick and might take up to one and a half hours at most.

You don't need too many people for maintenance. If they are knowledgable enough, a single person can handle it with no problems. They're even able to do some scripting language to handle the deployment and can set up some automation protocols as well.

When it comes to maintenance, the real challenge comes into play for mitigation. You might need maybe we need four to five people, at a large organization.

There are two versions of the solution available, one of which is free, which is the version we use, so we don't pay for anything.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

When customers tend to use multi-cloud vendors and multi-cloud environments, they want solid security protection. That's where the third party comes into the purchase. If any customer is specific to some cloud like AWS or Azure, we won't recommend third party. We'll try to use AWS's own specific services so that it's smarter cost-wise and flexibility wise, so it adds value to the customer.

However, when things go to a multi-cloud environment or a hybrid cloud architecture, that's when the third party comes into the picture.

I would recommend this solution to companies who are looking for cloud solutions with firewall flexibility. AWS is very user-friendly and largely inexpensive, however, if an organization has the budget, there are lots of great products out there that do largely the same thing.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about AWS WAF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rodrigo Garcia
Physical Designer at Semtech Corporation
Does what it is supposed to do, probably not in the best way and not in the best UI

• "The access instruction feature is the most valuable. This is what we use the most."
  • "It is sometimes a lot of work going through the rules and making sure you have everything covered for a use case. It is just the way rules are set and maintained in this solution. Some UI changes will probably be helpful. It is not easy to find the documentation of new features. Documentation not being updated is a common problem with all services, including this one. You have different versions of the console, and the options shown in the documentation are not there. For a new feature, there is probably an announcement about being released, but when it comes out, there is no actual documentation about how to use it. This makes you either go to technical support or community, which probably doesn't have an idea either. The documentation on the cloud should be the latest one. Finding information about a specific event can be a bit challenging. For this solution, not much documentation is available in the community. It could be because it is a new tool. Whenever there is an issue, it is just not that simple to resolve, especially if you don't have premium support. You have pretty much nowhere to look around, and you just need to poke around to try and make it work right."

What is our primary use case?

The regular use case is basically for blocking or giving access to different vendors to different domains. We also use it for managing and identifying the attacks and new rules that we should implement for our public domains to tune up the application firewall or tool, whatever makes more sense for us.

We're using it through the web console and API. We're just using the managed service.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization is launching a lot of betas. We are creating a lot of new different systems for different customers. AWS WAF helps us a lot to make sure that the right customer gets the right access to the system.

What needs improvement?

I have been using AWS WAF for about six months.

Stability-wise, it works as expected.

I definitely see places where it can be more designed to scale. In addition to amazon resources, there is some stuff from other vendors that we wanted to protect. WAF was not a solution for us because we don't have a way to integrate with those things. That was the biggest challenge that we faced. In terms of the number of users, our end users could be in the thousands.

It is okay.

It was okay. We went for the cloud formation, and our deployments happen probably every week.

Everything is managed through cloud formation. After implementation, three or four hours a week are required for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I won't recommend it at the moment because I don't have a full picture to recommend it or say that it is bad or good. I'll probably just keep testing and go with it for probably another six months or a year, and then I can probably recommend it or not.

Other vendors are also providing solutions for D-DOS protection and WAF. It would be nice to see something outside the box for AWS WAF to make it compete with other vendors.

I would rate AWS WAF a seven out of ten. It does what it is supposed to do, probably not in the best way and not in the best UI, but it works. We like the pricing part, but management is the thing that we don't love the most. If things keep improving, we're definitely going to scale with AWS WAF.

MohammedAbourafia
Manager, IT Infrastructure & Information Security at flyadeal
Provides good OWASP top 10 protection but needs improvement in security efficiency related to bad bots

• "The security firewall plus the features that protect against database injections or scripting,"
  • "For now, there is no feature to protect against attack of the bad bots"

What is our primary use case?

I'm a manager and in charge of IT infrastructure and information security for an airline company. We're a customer of AWS WAF. We use the product to protect the websites that our customers access to book flights. It provides the sites with DDoS protection and OWASP top 10 application security.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the security firewall and the features that protect against database injections or scripting, and against overall OWASP top 10, but I have concerns about the cloud front which doesn't handle bot attacks properly, so it's not as effective as I would like it to be.

What needs improvement?

A significant improvement would be built in bots protection enhancement, or seamless integration with other products. For now, there are limited feature to protect against an attack from the bad bots so users go to third party solutions, which just complicates integration and operation.

A helpful additional feature would be to have a fully unified unique product, including the DDoS, with sophisticated attack capabilities including anti bot management. They should also take a look at reviewing the complexity of the integration with other third-party vendor solutions.

I've been using the product for the last two years. We upgraded recently and I'm using the latest version.

Technical support is good.

Deployment is easy, it's not complex.The complexity is when you need it for integration with other third-party products. We also use CDN, part of the web solution from Amazon.

The price of the product is fair enough and one of the product's advantages. Their price is good compared to other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

The main difference with other similar products is the security efficiency against the type of attacks because normally Amazon works with certain types of attacks and is unable to deal with most of the more sophisticated new attacks that are now the market. So if you compare AWS WAF to the leaders in the field like Imperva, Akamai or radware, they are still beyond these products.

I would recommend that if you don't have a critical heavy use website, and you have a simple business that doesn't require high protection or high-security efficiency, go with this product, but if you have something where security is critical you should go with the leaders in the market, companies like Akamai, Radware, PerimeterX or Imperva.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

TM
AWS Security Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to scale, flexible, quite efficient, and the geo-restriction capabilities are helpful

• "The most valuable features are the geo-restriction denials and the web ACL."
  • "On the UI side, I would like it if they could bring back the geolocation view on the corner."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for online web applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the geo-restriction denials and the web ACL.

I enjoy using it because it is very easy.

Also, it's quite efficient.

What needs improvement?

The service itself is fine. On the UI side, I would like it if they could bring back the conditions view which had geo match, IP sets and etc. When using WAF classic you could see this option on the left side of the console. Currently IP sets and regex strings is there but geo match does not seem to be included, not sure if geo matching is still supported.

I have been using AWS WAF for almost three years.

We are using the newest version of AWS WAF, which is Version 2.

It's a stable solution. I have not experienced any issues.

There are approximately 1,000 people who are using this solution on a daily basis.

It is easy to scale. Just ensure that you cover the relevant resources within it. You can cover multiple resources such as CDN or use them in your AOD.

It's quite scalable.

I have not contacted technical support.

I have always used AWS. It's been the focus for the last three years.

The initial setup was simple.

It took less than an hour to deploy.

The implementation was completed internally.

It's quite affordable. It's in the middle.

Everything is included with the usage that you take up when you implement the service.

What other advice do I have?

The product does not require any maintenance. You need to ensure how you consider your rules. You have to make sure that all of your considerations for your protection are done really well. Do regular updates to improve on the different threats and intrusion.

I would recommend the product because it is very flexible and you are able to use it with multiple services within AWS.

I would rate AWS WAF a solid ten out of ten.

AB
Solution Architect at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution, but installation, navigation and configuration are overly complex and the price is not efficient for small customers

• "The solution is stable."
  • "While the complexity of the installation can vary from one service to another, overall, I would say that it and the configuration and navigation are somewhat complex."

What is our primary use case?

While I cannot say for certain, I believe that we are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

I like the scalability, as it provides platform, infrastructure and software as a service. These are the best features. When it comes to the API Gateway, such as Amazon Web Application Framework, the web application will be protected by all industry standard security aspects. We are talking about encryption, firewalls, SSL and TLS. Basically, all web exploit policies and rules will be applied, so that one's web or mobile app can be highly secured.

In terms of hosting the instances, the solution takes care of all necessary scaling to ensure that the application load is balanced. The horizontal or vertical scaling can be automatically removed. As such, AWS provides many services and features.

What needs improvement?

While the complexity of the installation can vary from one service to another, overall, I would say that it and the configuration and navigation are somewhat complex. These could stand improvement and bring down my rating of the product.

Customer support should also be improved.

I have been using AWS WAF for around two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

While it can vary according to the service involved, installation, configuration and navigation are, broadly speaking, complex.

The solution could be more cost-efficient for small customers.

What other advice do I have?

The solution may be expensive for smaller customers and vendors, although it would be recommended for large ones who can afford it.

Our organization has only a few years, consisting of the internal team, who are making use of the solution.

I rate AWS WAF as a six out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
RH
President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
It is a scalable, stable solution but needs simpler setup and pricing schemes.

• "Its best feature is that it is on the cloud and does not require local hardware resources."
  • "The pricing model is complicated."
  • "The setup is complicated."

What is our primary use case?

My whole business is cloud cost management. What I do is help people manage expenses. That encompasses everything from cleaning up software as a service subscriptions to optimizing AWS. My use cases for AWS WAF have to do with cloud research only.

What is most valuable?

The best part about it is that it is a cloud solution.

What needs improvement?

The complexity of deploying turnkey solutions could be simplified.

They actually have too many different things that you can tinker with and too many different ways to do the same thing. It may be helpful if the product were to be more directed and if it used best practices with technical and non-technical users in mind.

We have been using WAF (Web Application Firewall) for six months.

WAF is very stable.

I believe WAF is very scalable.

We have only two staff in our organization who are using AWS WAF.

Technical support is more-or-less fair. That is where most technical support falls these days.

The initial setup is really sorta complex. That is something which could probably be made easier.

The licensing costs are variable. For me, it is under a hundred dollars a month.

The range of your costs with Amazon Web Services is going to be different depending on a lot of factors. It can go as low as actually being free all the way up to millions of dollars. It depends on the organization and how the service is used.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a seven-out-of-ten. A change in the pricing structure that favors the client and simplification is something they would have to do to improve to make that score closer to a ten.

JP
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scales according to our requirements, but the interface needs some additional functionality

• "The most valuable feature is the scalability because it automatically scales up or scales down as per our requirements."
  • "I would like to be able to view a graphical deployment map in the user interface that will give me an overview of the configuration and help to determine whether I have missed any steps."

What is our primary use case?

We are a technical services company and this is one of the solutions that we have helped implement for our clients. We stopped using AWS about six months ago and as such, we are not currently using the AWS Web Application Firewall.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to view a graphical deployment map in the user interface that will give me an overview of the configuration and help to determine whether I have missed any steps.

The stability is good. From our experience, I've felt very happy with all of the AWS components in terms of stability. They work fine and have met our requirements.

The scalability of this solution is very good.

I am really happy with the AWS customer support, although I have not needed to contact them for this solution.

We have changed solutions because the choice of product depends on the customer's preferences and requirements. When I am working on a contract, I am required to use whatever they ask me to. If I already have the experience then I apply it. Otherwise, I learn what I need to, which sometimes involves taking training courses.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is not to simply look it up on Google before starting to use it. I would suggest taking some training courses, start to understand how it works internally, and then begin using it.

Overall, it is a good product and it generally fits well for my purposes.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free AWS WAF Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.