AWS X-Ray OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS X-Ray is #27 ranked solution in APM tools. IT Central Station users give AWS X-Ray an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS X-Ray is most commonly compared to New Relic APM: AWS X-Ray vs New Relic APM. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is AWS X-Ray?

AWS X-Ray helps developers analyze and debug production, distributed applications, such as those built using a microservices architecture. With X-Ray, you can understand how your application and its underlying services are performing to identify and troubleshoot the root cause of performance issues and errors. X-Ray provides an end-to-end view of requests as they travel through your application, and shows a map of your application’s underlying components. You can use X-Ray to analyze both applications in development and in production, from simple three-tier applications to complex microservices applications consisting of thousands of services.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

AWS X-Ray Customers
COMCAST, ConnectWise, skyscanner, AirAsia, cookpad, cimpress, VTEX, zowdow
AWS X-Ray Video

AWS X-Ray Reviews

Rodrigo Melo
Senior Java Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable and good for tracing problems, but hard to configure

• "The solution has made it easier for us to trace the problems that we have with our requests and to monitor the timing of each step in each request we do in our endpoints."
  • "The user interface is sometimes kind of confusing to understand. It's not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we work with microservices. We use X-Ray to trace the flow of our endpoints and our requests. That's basically the only use case for us.

What is most valuable?

The solution has made it easier for us to trace the problems that we have with our requests and to monitor the timing of each step in each request we do in our endpoints.

The solution does allow for various configurations.

The initials setup is pretty straightforward.

We've found the stability t be quite good.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is sometimes kind of confusing to understand. It's not very user-friendly. They should work to improve this aspect of the product. It should be easier to navigate.

While the configuration is not that difficult and you can follow the instructions in the AWS documentation, it's also not so easy to understand what exactly you have to do to configure everything. For example, in our applications, sometimes it's not clear the points I have to direct the interceptors to have the perfect trace of the endpoint. In fact, right now I'm working on a ticket here to solve a problem where the interceptor break is interrupted at a certain point due to a problem of configuration.

Between local services and AWS services, I'm working with tasks. These tasks use threads, and they are kind of getting lost due to the threads. In these cases, the configuration is a little bit difficult to understand in terms of what to do.

I've been dealing with the solution for under a year. It's been about six months or so.

The stability of the solution is good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's mostly reliable.

We don't have problems with scalability. When we have to scale our applications, we can do so. Other companies would be able to do so as well.

The entire company uses the application. We did a job last year, at the beginning of 2020, to include X-Ray in all applications we have. Therefore, I can say that all the company uses the application. That's at least 600 people, if not more.

I've never specifically contacted technical support. I can't speak to their kowledgability or responsiveness.

AWS in general does have good support. I've used them for other issues and they were fine.

The initial is not that difficult. It's fairly straightforward for the most part. The problem is when the system starts to become more complex. It's a little bit hard to figure out where exactly to do to have the perfect, solid application.

Everybody working with back-end development, including DevOps, works on maintaining X-Ray.

I don't have any information in regards to licensing. I'm not on the DevOps team and typically they are the ones that handle it. It's not an aspect of the solution I'm familiar with.

What other advice do I have?

We have or applications with Amazon. We have an enterprise relationship.

We use the up-to-date version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. Despite all the difficulties we have faced in terms of configuration, it's very useful to trace everything and to have information about the application types we have in our endpoints. Overall it's a nice tool. Potentially, I just need more time with it to understand more of its functionalities and quirks.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, New Relic, Datadog, and more!