Axway AMPLIFY API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Axway AMPLIFY API Management is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Apigee: Axway AMPLIFY API Management vs Apigee

What is Axway AMPLIFY API Management?

Axway API Management Plus combines API lifecycle management, secure integration services, monitoring and analytics to help you innovate faster and heighten ecosystem engagement. It is part of the Axway AMPLIFY data integration and engagement platform, which also includes unified app development for mobile to provide a complete solution for rapid change and innovation.

Axway AMPLIFY API Management is also known as Vordel Application Gateway, Axway API Management Plus, Axway API Management, AMPLIFY API Management.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Customers

Engie Group, Allianz

Axway AMPLIFY API Management Video

Archived Axway AMPLIFY API Management Reviews (more than two years old)

FD
Digital Enterprise Architect at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Good API response time, but the scalability needs improvement

• "The administration tool for this solution is good."
  • "This solution does have some limitations regarding the deployment model."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to offer API for our on-premises environment applications, as well as API from a cloud perspective. We have a hybrid-cloud deployment model.

This is a SaaS platform and it is running permanently.

How has it helped my organization?

Centralized API Platform allow us better reusability and monitoring

What is most valuable?

The administration tool for this solution is good.

The API has a good response time.

What needs improvement?

This solution does have some limitations regarding the deployment model. This has nothing to do with the features. Rather, we are deployed in a single region, and not everywhere. Our biggest concern is to have a solution that can be used all over the world, in all regions.

The scalability of this solution could be improved.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is not as scalable as the AWS API gateway.

We have dealt with technical support for this solution, and we are satisfied with their service.

No previous solutions for API Management.

From my point of view, the deployment was not easy. However, we are subscribing to a SAAS offering from Axway, and normally, they just provide us what is needed. The setup, really, is their problem, and we did not spend too much energy on our side.

The deployment is completed in a number of hours (infra as a code)

Implementation by vendor team, skilled people

The platform is more expensive than a full cloud solution like AWS API GW.

Setup cost depends on deployment target : on premise / shared cloud tenant / dedicated cloud tenant.

I have also used the AWS API gateway, and it is more scalable than this solution.

One of these tools is not easier to use than the other, both of them have good admin tools, and both have a good API response time.

The main difference with Axway is that it is intended to be deployed on-premises, as well as on the cloud. It is not a full cloud architecture, so it may not be as agile as a pure cloud provider.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, but we need to work outside of our single region.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

HW
Owner at a tech services company
Provides excellent control over management of APIs and API exposure

• "This product is a ten when it comes to API management."
  • "Team management capabilities could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is to control how we expose APIs.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable to us are the portal, authorization, and the extensive filters which allow us to make the policies which serve the user.

What needs improvement?

I think that the program's team management capabilities can be better as far as working in groups.

I really am interested in several of the new features already announced and being offered in the release of version 7.6.2. That is the main reason why we want to upgrade. Beyond those features, I don't know that anything needs to be added right now.

Two and half years at my current position and four years overall

This product is reliable and stable.

Ten years ago, the idea of scalability was different than it is now. Because of the possible uses of virtual machines and containers, scalability becomes a moot question. I don't think anything is not scalable anymore as long as you take the right direction in deployment.

We did have the opportunity to use technical support a little bit for some questions. Their work was okay. We were satisfied. They showed good care in response time and they didn't have problems figuring things out.

Before using Axway I used Apigee. There are a few main differences between Axway API Management Plus and Google's Apigee. Axway is a little easier to deploy and it has a lot more filters. So out of the box, it looks like there is more to it than Apigee. But I think the GUI of Apigee is a little bit nicer than the Axway GUI. It's a little easier to navigate and use.

The initial setup was really straightforward. By comparison, I used Apigee (Google) before and setting up the Axway product was really 10-times easier and more straightforward.

As far as total deployment time, the UAT (User Acceptance Testing) deployment was done in about three days. Production deployment with all the security testing took about a week total.

We did the implementation ourselves with in-house staff, so we did not need additional support.

What other advice do I have?

If I were a team going to deploy this solution now, I would probably deploy it using the newer containerized solutions for better flexibility.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a ten. It does everything that we expect it to do and is developing features to match innovation in technology.

Find out what your peers are saying about Axway, Google, Amazon and others in API Management. Updated: September 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Integration Architect / Specialist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good API portal capabilities but their technical support is lacking

• "The API portal capability is a valuable feature."
  • "The product shows a lack of maturity. The setup is difficult, the tech support and community are lacking, and it is not very stable."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is providing APIs to external parties through communication protocols.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not really improved our organization as there are better solutions currently that could be deployed.

What is most valuable?

For what we do, the API portal capability is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The product community is not good. We don't get a lot of support from them in resolving issues.

A feature that would be good to have is support for microservices and containerization.

The setup is actually pretty complex and could be improved so maybe in the next update they could do something to simplify setup, make Axway more stable, and get rid of existing technical issues.

We have been using Axway API Management Plus for just less than four years.

I do not think the product is as stable as some of the other products on the market. We do experience some technical problems now and again, so the stability could be better.

We have not really done much consideration for scalability. The support is limited for that, I think, and the product is still in the early phase of improving the scalability feature. We do not really have plans to scale up the use of the product for the current client using it. We have only one person maintaining it.

Regretfully, we are in constant touch with the technical support team, but we don't get the kind of support and answers that we really need. I would say that the technical support is average and could be improved.

We use several different solutions in working with different clients. With one client, we started out using Axway but with other clients I use different products depending on their needs and what they want to do.

The initial setup for the product was complex. The instructions are not easy to follow. When we were deploying some of the additional capabilities of the product or doing other integration, it's very difficult to set that up and resolve the issue in the installation process. Once the initial set up was done, then the additional deployments were actually very quick.

We did the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at around a five. Some of the features and capabilities are not as mature as other products on the market, some features are not as easy to use and may be better as the product matures. In my opinion, there are other solutions that are currently better than Axway.

As far as giving advice to those considering the product, I suggest doing some pilot projects to check as to whether or not Axway suits your requirements before choosing to deploy.

Product Categories
API Management
Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Axway, Google, Amazon, and more!