Axway Appcelerator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Axway Appcelerator?
Appcelerator Titanium allows you to deliver an immersive user experience at a fraction of the time, but with the same results, of native platforms. Titanium handles device and OS compatibility you build amazing apps.

Axway Appcelerator is also known as Appcelerator Titanium, Appcelerator.

Axway Appcelerator Customers
Bracket, Homes.com, Safeguard, Avis, Smuckers, VMWare, Zipcar, Mfoundry, Blackbaud
Axway Appcelerator Video

Archived Axway Appcelerator Reviews (more than two years old)

Niraj Maharjan
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company
Leaderboard
Makes it easy to build cross-platform with cloud-based, one-click app build system

What is our primary use case?

I was searching for a reliable tool to develop a native mobile app for both Android and iOS. I found Axway Appcelerator packed with awesome features, that it was easy to learn and easy to build cross-platform.

What is most valuable?

Using the same web technology to develop cross-platform native apps. Cloud-based one-click app build system.

What needs improvement?

It would be awesome if they would work on improving the speed of the app building process.

While compiling, it used to break sometimes and I would have to recompile.

Scalability is not so good if you have a complex…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

1. Using the same web technology to develop cross-platform native apps.
  2. Cloud-based one-click app build system.

What needs improvement?

While compiling, it used to break sometimes and I would have to recompile.

Scalability is not so good if you have a complex UX.

It's somewhat complex but not overly so.

I did evaluate other options but, at that time, this was the fastest and easiest option.

What other advice do I have?

I have no idea how the product has grown in comparison to other platforms.

Saurabh  Sharma
Business Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Leaderboard
Streamlines configuring Android and iOS platforms, but frequently hangs on login

What is our primary use case?

Our primary work using this framework is in developing small mobile applications, both enterprise and other.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using it, configuring Android and iOS platforms on a new machine was a big task. Now, it is easy.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to create builds and distribution is very easy. The editor is very friendly.

What needs improvement?

It has hung many times during login and use. Also, it needs a little enhancing for debugging for Android apps.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at seven out of 10, but if the above issues were fixed it would be a nine.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It has hung many times during login and use.

Also, it needs a little enhancing for debugging for Android apps.

More than five years.

it_user996
Anonymous User at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Good, but steep "Getting started"

What is most valuable?

This product is a powerful, cross-platform application development platform. It allows users to leverage existing HTML and javascript skills and it extends them to support platform-specific features. The product has a common codebase for multiple device platforms, but it is able to specialize wherever needed.

What needs improvement?

Unlike PhoneGap Titanium, this product relies heavily on the existing Android ADK or iOS SDKs. This makes for a more complicated installation process that is not always straightforward.

Like PhoneGap, apps are obviously running within the browser control. Because of this, there is some loss in native experience and fidelity.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product is a very good development platform, once you get over the setup.

It has great resources to help development; training material and samples are available for almost any scenario.

Active development of the platform means new features are added and issues are addressed in a timely manner.

it_user1149
Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Good for a small applications, but not so good when the complexity of the application is high.

Valuable Features:

* One of the main advantages I look for with titanium is its cross platform development (iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, Windows, Linux and OS X). * Single code base for mutli platforms so that managing an application becomes easier. * It is open source. * Offers flexibility as it using JavaScript.

Room for Improvement:

* Documentation is shoddy and outdated. * API calls have not been brushed up. * Company support isn't all that great. * Outdated videos have not been removed from the tutorial page, which are certainly, to some level, misleading to learning developers. * Recently apple rejected an application of my co-worker for making private api calls (because apple does not allow you to make private api calls). * Appcelerator provides StoreKit, a module to enable an In-App Purchase to Apple’s App Store, but it is very buggy and poorly documented. Therefore, it is not fit for production and may cause you to miss out on an important feature from your commercial app. * Titanium Studio, provided for development on titanium, happens to ignore changes while building and at times it stops printing console messages, so that every time you have to test your code, you have to clean your project. An additional task to be done every time for testing a code, is not good at all. * Animations are lagging, particularly on android devices. * Poor performance of graphic intense games.

Other Advice:

Basically, titanium converts your javascript, html, and css code to native code. I would suggest it if you have to make a cross platform small application, but if you are looking for an enterprise application I would suggest you go for a native application.