MU
IT Senior Consultant and trainer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Easier to manage identities for tasks

• "Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) stores the identities of our customers."
  • "The support for identification to the application environment could be improved, e.g., Active Directory Federation Services should be implemented in other applications. They need something like software development kits (SDKs) for integration with our own applications, which is not so easy to implement. We would also like synchronization of identities between identities in applications like Azure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business intelligence and analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has made it easier to manage memberships. Now, we use Azure as the primary source of managing identities for that task.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The synchronization process for on-premises and Sentinel Azure AD could be easier.

The support for identification to the application environment could be improved, e.g., Active Directory Federation Services should be implemented in other applications. They need something like software development kits (SDKs) for integration with our own applications, which is not so easy to implement. We would also like synchronization of identities between identities in applications like Azure.

We have only been testing the solution. We have only been using it for about six weeks or so.

The stability has been very good. From my point of view, this solution's stability is better than the stability in an on-premises environment, especially if you have a major incident on-premises.

You don't need to have a high amount of technical/IT knowledge to manage and maintain it.

The scalability is very good. We can manage it, and it meets our needs.

I cannot speak to technical support's level of responsiveness or knowledge, as we haven't contacted them. We simply use Google to find answers to our questions.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was easy. The deployment took about a month.

The synchronization of data is not so easy to implement.

We will do the implementation with our own resources in-house. We didn't need any support.

For the Czech people, the solution is not cheap, as we are not a rich country. However, for most countries, the product pricing is acceptable.

We didn't evaluate other solutions before choosing this product. We use Microsoft for all our technologies, so it was logical for us to go with Azure AD. It was the primary reason for selecting Azure AD.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution at a nine out of 10. We have been fully satisfied with this technical solution.

I would recommend this solution to everyone, especially small companies. This solution offers me more than on-premises solutions because my assurance in Microsoft is higher than my assurance in my own on-premises environment.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
PB
Powershell IT Admin Cert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Can authenticate offshore resources and easily replicate a website globally

• "If you want to replicate a website at the frontend in Azure, it's very easy to do it globally."
  • "It doesn't function the same way as an Active Directory inside of an infrastructure, that is, a physical infrastructure. In the cloud, it is all flat. That's one of the disadvantages."

What is our primary use case?

Containerization is mainly what I've been dealing with lately. I've been trying to provide solutions with Active Directory and cloud resolutions so that Edge services can communicate properly to the main data centers.

We use Active Directory for global authentication.

What is most valuable?

The advantage of Azure Active Directory is that it's a cloud environment, so just about anybody can get to it. As long as you can get to the cloud, you can get to the internet. You can authenticate offshore resources to client services, which is what my present company does. That kind of authentication is much more advantageous as an Active Directory solution.

As soon as you authenticate to the web storage, where you hit the frontend, then you can redirect to whatever resources locally that are duplicated.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't function the same way as Active Directory inside of a physical infrastructure. Even VMware Active Directory doesn't function the same way in the cloud. Cloud is all flat. That's one of the disadvantages. You can authenticate through Active Directory through Federated Services, but it's mainly like an IIS web frontend and bulk storage.

It's all record based.

I've dealt with Azure Active Directory for about three years.

It is a cloud solution.

Stability-wise, it is much more secure and stable than AWS. Oddly enough, a lot of people think that AWS has many more regions and sites. It's actually not true. Azure has far more. There's a good reason why the government jumped right on Azure and uses it for their internal resources.

It is very scalable.

Microsoft technical support is very responsive. If you buy the enterprise package, then when you call them, they will jump right in and help you out.

When one of our clients had a ransomware outbreak, Microsoft helped them solve quite a lot and helped them get up and running.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Microsoft is very good about helping you get things set up, and they're very responsive.

We evaluated AWS AD. AWS support will provide bits and pieces, but Microsoft will jump in and help out. Of course, you have to pay the price for the corporate support, but who wouldn't want that, especially when your whole environment is a Microsoft environment.

What other advice do I have?

It works really well, and I would rate it at nine on a scale from one to ten. You need good training, and Microsoft will provide that for free as part of their package.

Learn what your peers think about Azure Active Directory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed Fekry
Service Delivery Manager Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions at Nile
Enables our clients to build new environments and virtual machines

• "The most valuable feature is that it is very easy to implement, you don't need a lot of effort to set up the solution. This is the most advantageous point, that you can do anything on Azure without taking too much time."
  • "I would rate it an eight out of ten. The price plays a factor in the rating."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my customers use Active Directory Premium for condition and access scenarios that they need to comply with my conditions to access my resources. They also build new environments, virtual machines, and some other products like SQL on the infrastructure as a service. There are some customers that use Microsoft Intune, which is mobile device management. Microsoft Intune is a cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is very easy to implement, you don't need a lot of effort to set up the solution. This is the most advantageous point, that you can do anything on Azure without taking too much time.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft has a feedback page, in which if anyone has any suggestions or feedback, you can send them to them. They have all of the technical resources available on the internet, on their website. In case you need the support, you can easily open a ticket with them because you already have a subscription and you are eligible to open a ticket.

I've been working with Active Directory for twelve years. I have experience with Microsoft Active Directory Virtualization like Hyper-V systems in the family for Microsoft. So, this is a 12-year journey, it has been 12 years of experience with this product.

It's currently on-premise but because of COVID, a lot of our clients are moving to the cloud.

I have contacted technical support many times for the cloud. They are good. But for on-prem, they have recently started becoming delayed. Maybe the technical resources are not very good. I know Microsoft, they are focusing on the cloud solutions more than the on-premise solutions. The support for on-premises has become not as at previous times. But for cloud solutions, they are good.

The initial setup complexity is based on the scenario. If it's infrastructure as a service where you are building VMs, it could take you one day to complete your setup for virtual machines.

What other advice do I have?

Whether or not I would recommend this solution, would depend on the users' needs. If their use cases fit what Microsoft provides, then I would recommend it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. The price plays a factor in the rating. Customers are not oriented with a cloud solution, they move forward very slowly towards the cloud, because maybe in my country big sectors, like the banking sectors, don't deal with the cloud. So customers see this and don't want to use the cloud either. They fear for their security and privacy. Although Microsoft assures that they protect their customer's data and privacy.

Michael Ogunlade
Head of enterprise systems at Fidelity Bank Plc
Easy to deploy and supports conditional access using multifactor authentication

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to set up conditional access, where you can enforce users to connect using multifactor authentication."
  • "Technical support could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

Typically, we have applications deployed within the office network that we need to make accessible to our staff outside of the bank. Some of them are also our clients, but mainly, this is for people working in the region.

So without having to put them behind firewalls, what we opted to do is publish them to the proxy. This means that they can then come in via a secure port and begin to access the resources as if they were internally and securely within the network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to set up conditional access, where you can enforce users to connect using multifactor authentication. This is one of the things that we are using it for. It means that users who are accessing the applications remotely are authentic.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be faster.

I have been using this product for three years.

This solution is stable and we plan to increase our usage.

It is a scalable product. It can be deployed in a highly available manner, where you have to have two or three connectors. We have approximately 7,000 users.

We are satisfied with the technical support from Microsoft, although it could be faster.

This product is part of our enterprise license and we did not previously use a different one.

This is a cloud service, so the initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

For each request, it does not take very long.

We deployed this product ourselves.

No staff is required for maintenance.

This product is sold as part of the enterprise package and our licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis. You can get it as an add-on and it's not expensive.

I have not evaluated other solutions, which makes it difficult to tell what additional features I would like to see in the future. It is sufficient and adequate for our current use case.

What other advice do I have?

In our current use case, there is nothing that is lacking. This is definitely a product that I can recommend for other users.

Dhiraj Verma
Global Information Technology Manager at Kaleyra
Effective access management, easy initial setup, and useful user self-services

• "The solution has some great features, such as identity governance, and user self-service. The Outlook application is very good and is used by a lot of people even if they are using Google services."
  • "Azure Active Directory could improve by having an authentication service for laptops or desktop computers running Mac and Linux operating systems. They currently have authentication capabilities for Microsoft Windows. Having this capability would benefit people because in today's world everybody is working from the home environment."

What is our primary use case?

We use  Azure Active Directory to provide all the identity services for all of our applications.

How has it helped my organization?

As a company, you want effective identity and access management. You are able to achieve this with Azure Active Directory, you are able to manage everything, such as building user provisioning into third-party applications, or single sign-on, and tools to mitigate threats or risky sign-ins. There are a lot of features that are provided.

What is most valuable?

The solution has some great features, such as identity governance, and user self-service. The Outlook application is very good and is used by a lot of people even if they are using Google services.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Azure Active Directory within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable. There was one global outage that lasted approximately four hours in the past year.

Microsoft has different kinds of support you can have. If you pay then you will receive premium support which is very good.

I have previously used Google G Suite.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Azure Active Directory is more expensive than Google, but the capabilities they provide are superior.

I have evaluated SalePoint which is another very good product for collaboration that is available on the B2C platform.

What other advice do I have?

The people who are considering Azure Active Directory should look at it as a whole because even if their company is using G Suite, they will still have to go to Office 365 for accounting and finance users who are very familiar with MS Excel and still want to use it. I see most of the companies that are using G Suite will have Office 365 for certain services. There is no need to have two services, a single Office 365 platform will provide all the capabilities needed.

I rate Azure Active Directory a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Ozgur Kolukisa
Infrastructure and Cloud Principle Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates well with Microsoft products but configuring third-party solutions can be difficult

• "Multi-factor authentication really secures our environments and gives us the flexibility to use location-based policies. Azure AD also gives us a lot of flexibility in our scope of integration."
  • "I would like it to be easier to integrate third-party applications."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure AD for sign-on security as well as for our customers' Microsoft 365 solutions. We help migrate our customers from the traditional Active Directory, and to use Exchange Online and Microsoft Teams. We use Azure AD to secure their login processes with multi-factor authentication. In some specific cases, where there are specific applications, databases, or Active Directory login information about users, we integrate Azure AD with those elements.

What is most valuable?

Multi-factor authentication really secures our environments and gives us the flexibility to use location-based policies. Azure AD also gives us a lot of flexibility in our scope of integration.

It's easy to configure Microsoft products with Azure AD. It is almost an instant integration. In hybrid installations it is a bit more complex to configure, but not that much. In short, it is good for most Microsoft customers and the products they use.

What needs improvement?

Some of the features related to authentication could be made clearer. In my last organization, I tried to integrate a third-party education solution with Azure AD, but it was a bit difficult to configure. I would like it to be easier to integrate third-party applications.

I have been using Azure AD for three or four years.

It's a stable product. I haven't encountered any problems or bugs.

In general, there is no problem in configuring Azure AD. It's not hard. But, as I said, configuring third-party, open-source applications with it is a little bit difficult.

We usually set aside one day to configure Azure AD for new organizations. In general, it takes one person to maintain it, perhaps two in some cases.

What other advice do I have?

We have faced a few little problems in our customers' hybrid environments. Backing up the ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) is very important, but some of our customers didn't do so and they lost their ADFS proxy servers. That is one of the important lessons I have learned. In those cases we had to reconfigure almost everything. It's simple to back up ADFS, so I would advise doing so.

But from the user's point of view, we've faced no problems. It works well.

Pete Fotopoulos
Vice President - Network and Infrastructure at NJA LLC
Great access control aspect of authentication, has an easy single-sign-on and is quite stable

• "The single sign-on is very convenient for us."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution moved to a passwordless type of environment. It's the future of authentification. It's also more secure and convenient."

What is our primary use case?

We just use the solution for the authentication and the provision access control, among other tasks.

What is most valuable?

The access control aspect of the authentication is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The single sign-on is very convenient for us.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is quite stable. I haven't heard any bad things about it. It doesn't crash or freeze. I can't say that I've seen bugs or glitches. It seems to be very reliable so far.

I believe the solution is scalable, although I have not tried to scale it myself personally.

We have many people on the system, including doctors, nurses, practitioners, assistants, etc. It might be around 100 people, give or take.

I've never dealt with technical support for any reason. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their services or discuss their level of responsiveness.

I didn't handle any aspect of the implementation, as I'm not technical in any way. I wouldn't be able to specify if it was complex or straightforward or how the deployment went.

I don't have any insights into the licensing costs. I'm not a part of the accounting or payment process.

What other advice do I have?

Our organizations has a few partnerships with Microsoft.

I don't know which version of the solution we're using. It's most likely the latest, due to the fact that it's a cloud deployment.

The only advice I have for other organizations considering the solution is this: just make sure that you have the right requirements. It's never a carbon copy. Every environment has different needs and requirements.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

MR
Head of IT at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
It is stable and allows us to see and control PCs and mobile devices

• "The ability to see and control PCs and mobile devices is the most valuable. I can see where they are and how many we have. I can also see the age and retention of PCs."
  • "The only issue with Azure AD is that it doesn't have control over the wifi network. You have to do something more to have a secure wifi network. To have it working, you need an active directory server on-premises to take care of the networks."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to have better security and better control over PCs and clients.

What is most valuable?

The ability to see and control PCs and mobile devices is the most valuable. I can see where they are and how many we have. I can also see the age and retention of PCs.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft products for a really long time. I have been using cloud solutions for a couple of years.

It is stable and working for us.

They don't give support to the end users in Sweden. We always have to go to a reseller, which is a bad thing.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We didn't do it ourselves. A company did it for us.

We are a non-profit organization, so we get good prices from Microsoft for their products. It is working well, but it could be cheaper. For the type of organization we are, it would be good if they could give a little bit more and be more generous like Google, which has completely free services. Microsoft has free versions or web services called Office 365 E1, which is free for use, but we want to have it with more qualified clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting some help from professionals to implement it. You have to implement it in a very planned way with a very detailed roadmap.

I would rate Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium an eight out of ten. It is quite good, and we are quite pleased with this solution.