Mohamed Fekry
Service Delivery Manager Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions at Nile
Enables our clients to build new environments and virtual machines

• "The most valuable feature is that it is very easy to implement, you don't need a lot of effort to set up the solution. This is the most advantageous point, that you can do anything on Azure without taking too much time."
  • "I would rate it an eight out of ten. The price plays a factor in the rating."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my customers use Active Directory Premium for condition and access scenarios that they need to comply with my conditions to access my resources. They also build new environments, virtual machines, and some other products like SQL on the infrastructure as a service. There are some customers that use Microsoft Intune, which is mobile device management. Microsoft Intune is a cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is very easy to implement, you don't need a lot of effort to set up the solution. This is the most advantageous point, that you can do anything on Azure without taking too much time.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft has a feedback page, in which if anyone has any suggestions or feedback, you can send them to them. They have all of the technical resources available on the internet, on their website. In case you need the support, you can easily open a ticket with them because you already have a subscription and you are eligible to open a ticket.

I've been working with Active Directory for twelve years. I have experience with Microsoft Active Directory Virtualization like Hyper-V systems in the family for Microsoft. So, this is a 12-year journey, it has been 12 years of experience with this product.

It's currently on-premise but because of COVID, a lot of our clients are moving to the cloud.

I have contacted technical support many times for the cloud. They are good. But for on-prem, they have recently started becoming delayed. Maybe the technical resources are not very good. I know Microsoft, they are focusing on the cloud solutions more than the on-premise solutions. The support for on-premises has become not as at previous times. But for cloud solutions, they are good.

The initial setup complexity is based on the scenario. If it's infrastructure as a service where you are building VMs, it could take you one day to complete your setup for virtual machines.

What other advice do I have?

Whether or not I would recommend this solution, would depend on the users' needs. If their use cases fit what Microsoft provides, then I would recommend it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. The price plays a factor in the rating. Customers are not oriented with a cloud solution, they move forward very slowly towards the cloud, because maybe in my country big sectors, like the banking sectors, don't deal with the cloud. So customers see this and don't want to use the cloud either. They fear for their security and privacy. Although Microsoft assures that they protect their customer's data and privacy.

Michael Ogunlade
Head of enterprise systems at Fidelity Bank Plc
Easy to deploy and supports conditional access using multifactor authentication

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to set up conditional access, where you can enforce users to connect using multifactor authentication."
  • "Technical support could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

Typically, we have applications deployed within the office network that we need to make accessible to our staff outside of the bank. Some of them are also our clients, but mainly, this is for people working in the region.

So without having to put them behind firewalls, what we opted to do is publish them to the proxy. This means that they can then come in via a secure port and begin to access the resources as if they were internally and securely within the network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to set up conditional access, where you can enforce users to connect using multifactor authentication. This is one of the things that we are using it for. It means that users who are accessing the applications remotely are authentic.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be faster.

I have been using this product for three years.

This solution is stable and we plan to increase our usage.

It is a scalable product. It can be deployed in a highly available manner, where you have to have two or three connectors. We have approximately 7,000 users.

We are satisfied with the technical support from Microsoft, although it could be faster.

This product is part of our enterprise license and we did not previously use a different one.

This is a cloud service, so the initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

For each request, it does not take very long.

We deployed this product ourselves.

No staff is required for maintenance.

This product is sold as part of the enterprise package and our licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis. You can get it as an add-on and it's not expensive.

I have not evaluated other solutions, which makes it difficult to tell what additional features I would like to see in the future. It is sufficient and adequate for our current use case.

What other advice do I have?

In our current use case, there is nothing that is lacking. This is definitely a product that I can recommend for other users.

Learn what your peers think about Azure Active Directory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dhiraj Verma
Global Information Technology Manager at Kaleyra
Effective access management, easy initial setup, and useful user self-services

• "The solution has some great features, such as identity governance, and user self-service. The Outlook application is very good and is used by a lot of people even if they are using Google services."
  • "Azure Active Directory could improve by having an authentication service for laptops or desktop computers running Mac and Linux operating systems. They currently have authentication capabilities for Microsoft Windows. Having this capability would benefit people because in today's world everybody is working from the home environment."

What is our primary use case?

We use  Azure Active Directory to provide all the identity services for all of our applications.

How has it helped my organization?

As a company, you want effective identity and access management. You are able to achieve this with Azure Active Directory, you are able to manage everything, such as building user provisioning into third-party applications, or single sign-on, and tools to mitigate threats or risky sign-ins. There are a lot of features that are provided.

What is most valuable?

The solution has some great features, such as identity governance, and user self-service. The Outlook application is very good and is used by a lot of people even if they are using Google services.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Azure Active Directory within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable. There was one global outage that lasted approximately four hours in the past year.

Microsoft has different kinds of support you can have. If you pay then you will receive premium support which is very good.

I have previously used Google G Suite.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Azure Active Directory is more expensive than Google, but the capabilities they provide are superior.

I have evaluated SalePoint which is another very good product for collaboration that is available on the B2C platform.

What other advice do I have?

The people who are considering Azure Active Directory should look at it as a whole because even if their company is using G Suite, they will still have to go to Office 365 for accounting and finance users who are very familiar with MS Excel and still want to use it. I see most of the companies that are using G Suite will have Office 365 for certain services. There is no need to have two services, a single Office 365 platform will provide all the capabilities needed.

I rate Azure Active Directory a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Ozgur Kolukisa
Infrastructure and Cloud Principle Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates well with Microsoft products but configuring third-party solutions can be difficult

• "Multi-factor authentication really secures our environments and gives us the flexibility to use location-based policies. Azure AD also gives us a lot of flexibility in our scope of integration."
  • "I would like it to be easier to integrate third-party applications."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure AD for sign-on security as well as for our customers' Microsoft 365 solutions. We help migrate our customers from the traditional Active Directory, and to use Exchange Online and Microsoft Teams. We use Azure AD to secure their login processes with multi-factor authentication. In some specific cases, where there are specific applications, databases, or Active Directory login information about users, we integrate Azure AD with those elements.

What is most valuable?

Multi-factor authentication really secures our environments and gives us the flexibility to use location-based policies. Azure AD also gives us a lot of flexibility in our scope of integration.

It's easy to configure Microsoft products with Azure AD. It is almost an instant integration. In hybrid installations it is a bit more complex to configure, but not that much. In short, it is good for most Microsoft customers and the products they use.

What needs improvement?

Some of the features related to authentication could be made clearer. In my last organization, I tried to integrate a third-party education solution with Azure AD, but it was a bit difficult to configure. I would like it to be easier to integrate third-party applications.

I have been using Azure AD for three or four years.

It's a stable product. I haven't encountered any problems or bugs.

In general, there is no problem in configuring Azure AD. It's not hard. But, as I said, configuring third-party, open-source applications with it is a little bit difficult.

We usually set aside one day to configure Azure AD for new organizations. In general, it takes one person to maintain it, perhaps two in some cases.

What other advice do I have?

We have faced a few little problems in our customers' hybrid environments. Backing up the ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) is very important, but some of our customers didn't do so and they lost their ADFS proxy servers. That is one of the important lessons I have learned. In those cases we had to reconfigure almost everything. It's simple to back up ADFS, so I would advise doing so.

But from the user's point of view, we've faced no problems. It works well.

Pete Fotopoulos
Vice President - Network and Infrastructure at NJA LLC
Great access control aspect of authentication, has an easy single-sign-on and is quite stable

• "The single sign-on is very convenient for us."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution moved to a passwordless type of environment. It's the future of authentification. It's also more secure and convenient."

What is our primary use case?

We just use the solution for the authentication and the provision access control, among other tasks.

What is most valuable?

The access control aspect of the authentication is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The single sign-on is very convenient for us.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is quite stable. I haven't heard any bad things about it. It doesn't crash or freeze. I can't say that I've seen bugs or glitches. It seems to be very reliable so far.

I believe the solution is scalable, although I have not tried to scale it myself personally.

We have many people on the system, including doctors, nurses, practitioners, assistants, etc. It might be around 100 people, give or take.

I've never dealt with technical support for any reason. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their services or discuss their level of responsiveness.

I didn't handle any aspect of the implementation, as I'm not technical in any way. I wouldn't be able to specify if it was complex or straightforward or how the deployment went.

I don't have any insights into the licensing costs. I'm not a part of the accounting or payment process.

What other advice do I have?

Our organizations has a few partnerships with Microsoft.

I don't know which version of the solution we're using. It's most likely the latest, due to the fact that it's a cloud deployment.

The only advice I have for other organizations considering the solution is this: just make sure that you have the right requirements. It's never a carbon copy. Every environment has different needs and requirements.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

MR
Head of IT at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
It is stable and allows us to see and control PCs and mobile devices

• "The ability to see and control PCs and mobile devices is the most valuable. I can see where they are and how many we have. I can also see the age and retention of PCs."
  • "The only issue with Azure AD is that it doesn't have control over the wifi network. You have to do something more to have a secure wifi network. To have it working, you need an active directory server on-premises to take care of the networks."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to have better security and better control over PCs and clients.

What is most valuable?

The ability to see and control PCs and mobile devices is the most valuable. I can see where they are and how many we have. I can also see the age and retention of PCs.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft products for a really long time. I have been using cloud solutions for a couple of years.

It is stable and working for us.

They don't give support to the end users in Sweden. We always have to go to a reseller, which is a bad thing.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We didn't do it ourselves. A company did it for us.

We are a non-profit organization, so we get good prices from Microsoft for their products. It is working well, but it could be cheaper. For the type of organization we are, it would be good if they could give a little bit more and be more generous like Google, which has completely free services. Microsoft has free versions or web services called Office 365 E1, which is free for use, but we want to have it with more qualified clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting some help from professionals to implement it. You have to implement it in a very planned way with a very detailed roadmap.

I would rate Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium an eight out of ten. It is quite good, and we are quite pleased with this solution.

NB
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple to use, good visibility, and highly stable

• "Azure Active Directory is a very simple utility to use, it has very good visibility and transparency, and an easy-to-use panel."
  • "The technical support could improve by having a faster response time."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for Azure Active Directory is user management, creating users, assigning them access to network resources, network drives, resetting passwords, and dissembling users.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped my organization by allowing us simple management of identities within the organization for integration with the single sign-on system unifying access to applications for mobile devices and management.

AD is the starting point for the unification of access control, or for using those identities within AD. Without it, we would not be able to give our users access to applications from different devices, whether they are Mac OS, Windows 10, Android, or any other operating system.

What is most valuable?

Azure Active Directory is a very simple utility to use, it has very good visibility and transparency, and an easy-to-use panel.

I have been using Azure Active Directory for approximately one year.

Azure Active Directory's stability is very high.

The scalability is good.

The technical support could improve by having a faster response time.

I rate the support of Azure Active Directory a three out of five.

If you have been running an on-premises implementation of Active Directory Domain Services, then it is only a migration. You migrate the identities from on-premises to the cloud.

If you are setting it up from scratch, it can be easy too. You can do the migration by using Azure AD Connect, which is mostly a straightforward process.

What other advice do I have?

Everything begins with the design of the domain structure. If it is well designed, then it is simple to adopt AD from scratch. I am not sure about migrations from other implementations of identity control, but if you are starting from scratch, it is very easy to use.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Azure Active Directory a nine out of ten.

Jeffrey Attoh
Chief Executive Officer at ZDAPT
Helpful B2B connectors with an interface that is well laid out and easy to navigate

• "The interface is well laid out and it is easy to navigate."
  • "My only pain point in this solution is creating group membership for devices."

What is our primary use case?

This product manages access for our compute space that includes Office 365, Salesforce, and other solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the B2B connector and the external identity connection functionality. These are helpful.

User group management works well.

The interface is well laid out and it is easy to navigate. You can get to things quickly and it works.

The portal allows you to create reports, which is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

My only pain point in this solution is creating group membership for devices. This is something that could be improved. Essentially, I want to be able to create collection groups, or organizational units and include devices in there. I should be able to add them in the same way that we can add users.

We want to be able to create members as devices in groups, without having to leverage a dynamic group membership with queries. I want to be able to just pick machines, create a group, and add them.

We have been using Active Directory Premium for four years.

This is a stable product.

I have only used technical support on one occasion and I found it to be pretty good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I have not used this product to its full extent but from what I have used, I find that it works well.

My advice for anybody who is implementing AD Premium is to understand what it is that they're going to use and how they're going to manage identity. I suggest doing a lot more in terms of identity governance.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure