Pete Fotopoulos
Vice President - Network and Infrastructure at NJA LLC
Great access control aspect of authentication, has an easy single-sign-on and is quite stable

• "The single sign-on is very convenient for us."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution moved to a passwordless type of environment. It's the future of authentification. It's also more secure and convenient."

What is our primary use case?

We just use the solution for the authentication and the provision access control, among other tasks.

What is most valuable?

The access control aspect of the authentication is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The single sign-on is very convenient for us.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is quite stable. I haven't heard any bad things about it. It doesn't crash or freeze. I can't say that I've seen bugs or glitches. It seems to be very reliable so far.

I believe the solution is scalable, although I have not tried to scale it myself personally.

We have many people on the system, including doctors, nurses, practitioners, assistants, etc. It might be around 100 people, give or take.

I've never dealt with technical support for any reason. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their services or discuss their level of responsiveness.

I didn't handle any aspect of the implementation, as I'm not technical in any way. I wouldn't be able to specify if it was complex or straightforward or how the deployment went.

I don't have any insights into the licensing costs. I'm not a part of the accounting or payment process.

What other advice do I have?

Our organizations has a few partnerships with Microsoft.

I don't know which version of the solution we're using. It's most likely the latest, due to the fact that it's a cloud deployment.

The only advice I have for other organizations considering the solution is this: just make sure that you have the right requirements. It's never a carbon copy. Every environment has different needs and requirements.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

MR
Head of IT at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
It is stable and allows us to see and control PCs and mobile devices

• "The ability to see and control PCs and mobile devices is the most valuable. I can see where they are and how many we have. I can also see the age and retention of PCs."
  • "The only issue with Azure AD is that it doesn't have control over the wifi network. You have to do something more to have a secure wifi network. To have it working, you need an active directory server on-premises to take care of the networks."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to have better security and better control over PCs and clients.

What is most valuable?

The ability to see and control PCs and mobile devices is the most valuable. I can see where they are and how many we have. I can also see the age and retention of PCs.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft products for a really long time. I have been using cloud solutions for a couple of years.

It is stable and working for us.

They don't give support to the end users in Sweden. We always have to go to a reseller, which is a bad thing.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We didn't do it ourselves. A company did it for us.

We are a non-profit organization, so we get good prices from Microsoft for their products. It is working well, but it could be cheaper. For the type of organization we are, it would be good if they could give a little bit more and be more generous like Google, which has completely free services. Microsoft has free versions or web services called Office 365 E1, which is free for use, but we want to have it with more qualified clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting some help from professionals to implement it. You have to implement it in a very planned way with a very detailed roadmap.

I would rate Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium an eight out of ten. It is quite good, and we are quite pleased with this solution.

Learn what your peers think about Azure Active Directory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NB
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple to use, good visibility, and highly stable

• "Azure Active Directory is a very simple utility to use, it has very good visibility and transparency, and an easy-to-use panel."
  • "The technical support could improve by having a faster response time."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for Azure Active Directory is user management, creating users, assigning them access to network resources, network drives, resetting passwords, and dissembling users.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped my organization by allowing us simple management of identities within the organization for integration with the single sign-on system unifying access to applications for mobile devices and management.

AD is the starting point for the unification of access control, or for using those identities within AD. Without it, we would not be able to give our users access to applications from different devices, whether they are Mac OS, Windows 10, Android, or any other operating system.

What is most valuable?

Azure Active Directory is a very simple utility to use, it has very good visibility and transparency, and an easy-to-use panel.

I have been using Azure Active Directory for approximately one year.

Azure Active Directory's stability is very high.

The scalability is good.

The technical support could improve by having a faster response time.

I rate the support of Azure Active Directory a three out of five.

If you have been running an on-premises implementation of Active Directory Domain Services, then it is only a migration. You migrate the identities from on-premises to the cloud.

If you are setting it up from scratch, it can be easy too. You can do the migration by using Azure AD Connect, which is mostly a straightforward process.

What other advice do I have?

Everything begins with the design of the domain structure. If it is well designed, then it is simple to adopt AD from scratch. I am not sure about migrations from other implementations of identity control, but if you are starting from scratch, it is very easy to use.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Azure Active Directory a nine out of ten.

Jeffrey Attoh
Chief Executive Officer at ZDAPT
Helpful B2B connectors with an interface that is well laid out and easy to navigate

• "The interface is well laid out and it is easy to navigate."
  • "My only pain point in this solution is creating group membership for devices."

What is our primary use case?

This product manages access for our compute space that includes Office 365, Salesforce, and other solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the B2B connector and the external identity connection functionality. These are helpful.

User group management works well.

The interface is well laid out and it is easy to navigate. You can get to things quickly and it works.

The portal allows you to create reports, which is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

My only pain point in this solution is creating group membership for devices. This is something that could be improved. Essentially, I want to be able to create collection groups, or organizational units and include devices in there. I should be able to add them in the same way that we can add users.

We want to be able to create members as devices in groups, without having to leverage a dynamic group membership with queries. I want to be able to just pick machines, create a group, and add them.

We have been using Active Directory Premium for four years.

This is a stable product.

I have only used technical support on one occasion and I found it to be pretty good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I have not used this product to its full extent but from what I have used, I find that it works well.

My advice for anybody who is implementing AD Premium is to understand what it is that they're going to use and how they're going to manage identity. I suggest doing a lot more in terms of identity governance.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
JP
Security Architect at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
Provides secure connections and authentication of people

• "Its ability to provide secure connections to people at all locations is the most valuable. It is mostly used by enterprises."
  • "The onboarding process for new users can be improved. It can be made simpler for people who have never registered to Azure AD previously and need to create an account and enable the MFA. The initial setup can be made simpler for non-IT people. It should be a bit simpler to use. Unless you get certifications, such as AZ-300 and AZ-301, it is not a simple thing to use at the enterprise scale."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the authentication of people in a hybrid configuration. In most cases,
Office 365 makes companies move to Azure Active Directory.

We have both on-premises and cloud deployments.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to provide secure connections to people at all locations is the most valuable. It is mostly used by enterprises.

What needs improvement?

The onboarding process for new users can be improved. It can be made simpler for people who have never registered to Azure AD previously and need to create an account and enable the MFA. The initial setup can be made simpler for non-IT people.

It should be a bit simpler to use. Unless you get certifications, such as AZ-300 and AZ-301, it is not a simple thing to use at the enterprise scale.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

I never use technical support. I usually find the information on my own or through my friends at Microsoft.

It is not complicated for me as an IT guy, but the feedback from the field or non-IT people is that it could be simpler.

MFA and P2 licenses for two Azures for fully-enabled scenarios and features cost a lot of money. This is where Okta is trying to get the prices down.

What other advice do I have?

I have spent seven years at Microsoft, so I have a tendency to like Microsoft solutions because I know them and the philosophy behind them. Till now, Azure AD is probably the best solution for identity and security.

I also use Okta. For integration with Microsoft solutions, Office 365 Azure is just right. However, for some scenarios, such as consolidations, Okta seems to have a few advantages as compared to Active Directory. Okta also has a very interesting price.

I would rate Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium an eight out of ten.

YawKusiappiah
Sr Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Strong authentication feature for on-prem and hybrid configurations

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case with Azure Active Directory is configuring applications, for example Edge, on premises and doing synchronizations with ADFS in a hybrid environment. I have used it in a lot of application integrations. I set authentication for the hybrid and cloud applications for the services that we acquire.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its authentication security. That is Azure Active Directory's purpose - making cloud services' security and integration easier.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say its interface is not very flexible, as opposed to AWS. The services are very clear, but the user admin interface needs to be better. That's all.

For how long have I used

What needs improvement?

I have been using Azure Active Directory for more than five years.

In terms of stability, sometimes the more applications you integrate, the more it becomes a little bit unstable. The synchronization engine is key because that's what 365on-premises is for. The main thing that Azure supports is Microsoft native 365 and the other services that come with it.

It is scalable. It is just that Microsoft likes complex licensing. They should make it more  straightforward.

We just have the admins using it, that's about 20 people.

Microsoft tech support is not the best, but they're okay.

The initial setup is not that complex. Maybe I'm the wrong person to ask, though, because I am already an old AD person and I understand it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would not rate Azure Active Directory as a bad product, I would rate it as an 8.

Mike  Sax
Vice President, Product Engineering at Logitix
Robust, and ideal for user management and group management

• "The portal version of the Azure active directory is pretty robust."
  • "The integration between the Azure active directory and the traditional active directory could be improved upon."

What is our primary use case?

We have an Azure active directory and we also have our own on-prem AD instances.

We basically use the solution for user management, group management, policy management.

What is most valuable?

The portal version of the Azure active directory is pretty robust.

The solution is very good for different types of management, including, user, group and policy management requirements.

What needs improvement?

The integration between the Azure active directory and the traditional active directory could be improved upon. We have two active directories that are installed on virtual machines, which are traditional active directories. The interactions between the two are very limited. For example, I could modify users in our own private instances of AD, however, they won't propagate up to the Azure active directory and vice versa. For us, the integrations are the biggie between the on-prem or the self-hosted AD versus Azure AD.

The traditional AD instances that we maintain have UIs that are very archaic and monolithic and very difficult to navigate. They should update the UI to make it easier to navigate and make it overall more modern.

We've been using the solution for a while. We are actively using it now.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution at this time.

In general, I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten.

If there were better integration capabilities between active directories, I would likely rate this product higher.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
VS
Associate Technical Lead at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Useful user account replication, many available features, and great support

• "The solution has a variety of tools. Two of the most valuable features are the ability to create users and to replicate the user account from on-premise to the cloud."
  • "The solution could be improved when it comes to monitoring and logging as these are the most critical areas in case something was to go wrong."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is for application security and user access management.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Active Directory has improved our organization because it is one of the key components and is being used by almost most companies for identifying and access management on the cloud or on-premise infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a variety of tools. Two of the most valuable features are the ability to create users and to replicate the user account from on-premise to the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Additionally, the available zones should be in all regions, such as in AWS, they have higher availability in all regions.

I have been using Azure Active Directory for approximately ten years.

I find the stability of the solution to be very good. The solution has improved a lot in this area.

The solution is very scalable and is easy to scale.

The technical support is great.

I have previously used Amazon Load Balancer and AWS.

The initial setup of the solution is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Active Directory a ten.

Hybrid Cloud