M A Nakib
Asst. Manager, Cloud Solutions at Corporate Projukti Limited
Easy to use and encryption provides data security, but the technical support should be improved

• "It is easy to schedule backups."
  • "Technical support is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

Our customers use this solution for backing up their data to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Backup has given me the opportunity to offer a non-hardware backup solution to my customers. I try to improve their productivity by offering them this alternative if it is suitable for their scenario. We often conduct a PoC to see if it works for them.

My customers are very happy with Azure Backup.

What is most valuable?

The scalability is very good because it will scale to whatever we need.

The encryption is very good and I feel like the data is totally secure.

Customers often ask if it is possible to connect another device, and it is something that is very easy to do. There is no hassle.

It is easy to schedule backups.

I am happy with the documentation.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be lowered because it is the biggest complaint from my customers.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

I have been working with Azure Backup for two years.

Azure Backup is easy to scale and it will scale up as much as you need it to. Also, I don't need to worry about whether it is serialized or not because the data is always structured.

My customers are small and medium-sized businesses.

Technical support by Microsoft can be improved.

The deployment is not complicated and easy to do.

This is an expensive solution in the Bangladesh marketplace.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend for backing up data on the cloud. It is easy to use and manage, even for somebody with no backup knowledge. Overall, I think that everybody will be happy with it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

KA
Technical architect at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
A stable backup solution with good support, but it would be better to increase the backup frequency

What is our primary use case?

I use Azure Backup to backup Microsoft Domain Controller for my client. The need was to protect the domain controllers as they were critical controls for Watson Web. So, even if a hacker attacked the firm with a ransom through Watson Web, it would be possible to recover the data from Azure because the data would have been protected.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's a stable solution and their support is good. I think Microsoft's commercial force is superior.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the frequency of the backup. You can only backup one to three times a day. It would be better to back up continuously throughout the day.

I have been dealing with Azure Backup for about five years. But…

What needs improvement?

I have been dealing with Azure Backup for about five years. But I have more than eight years of experience in all cloud or Azure services, including Azure Backup and Azure VM Backup.

It's a very stable solution.

Microsoft technical support is okay. I never had any problem with it. Compared to Amazon Web Services, I think I like Microsoft's support. I just have to call them to obtain all the support that I need, and they are very proactive. They help you build solutions because they know that your business will grow and mature after helping you design the solution, provide you with tools and free licenses.

The initial setup is straightforward, but you have to think about the recovery strategy.  Implementing the two is quite easy, but you also have to think about the backup and the overall recovery strategy and what kind of recovery strategy you will use to backup and restore. I know it's easy for the most common use cases.

I believe Azure Backup is superior to AWS, and Google is a little bit more powerful for implementations.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Azure Backup a seven.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Azure Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SN
Sr. Cloud Operations Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and schedule backups, but we need an agent for Linux

• "The MARS agent makes it easy to use."
  • "The time required to restore files should be a little faster."

What is our primary use case?

We have been this as our default backup solution since we migrated to Azure. We have both Windows and Linux systems in our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to take complete Windows backups on a schedule that we choose. This can be hourly, daily, or weekly.

What is most valuable?

The MARS agent makes it easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There is no MARS agent for Linux, which is a problem for us because we have systems that use Linux Red Hat and Ubuntu.

There are other things missing in Azure that require us to use third-party tools. We would prefer to use Azure alone because it would be easier, as well as more secure.

The time required to restore files should be a little faster. It takes quite a long time to restore files at the moment.

We began using Azure Backup about six months ago.

Technical support is very supportive and they are giving me the best that they can do.

We began using Azure Backup as soon as we migrated to Azure from on-premises, AWS, and Oracle workloads.

We have no complaints about the deployment process, and everything installed fine.

We are currently evaluating options to back up our Linux filesystems.

What other advice do I have?

While Azure Backup works well for our Windows systems, because it is not working with Linux, it is only doing half of the job that we need. If we had a MARS agent that worked for Linux then I would rate this solution a least an eight out of ten. It would allow us to use Azure as the only backup tool, without having to use products by third-parties.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
CW
Domain Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
I haven't had a failed recovery yet, the stability is good

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to have in Azure or backup with a machine on-prem.

What is most valuable?

Its only feature is backup. That's literally all it does is back up and restore, that's it.

I have been using Azure Backup for five years.

I have no issues with the stability at all. So I don't necessarily care about the stability of the product. I look more at whether or not can I recover. And I haven't had a failed recovery yet. I have not had any failed recoveries of all my years.

Scalability is fine.

Technical support is good enough.

Which

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to have in Azure or backup with a machine on-prem.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Azure Backup for five years.

Scalability is fine.

Technical support is good enough.

Azure Backup is the only solution I've really worked with. You wouldn't know about the other tools. The only other backup tool I've done before was one called OmniBack, which you wouldn't know about because it's not sold anymore.

The initial setup complexity depends on the environment. On-prem can be complex to set up but the cloud is simple.

The time it takes to deploy depends. It can take anywhere from half a day or a few days, depending on the complexity.

The price is pretty good, maybe $30 for a machine, I can't complain.

Pricing is based on consumption base.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a ten out of ten and I would definitely recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud
MP
Director of Technology at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Cloud-based, simple, stable, and the support is good

• "I like that it's a simple system."
  • "I would like to see better integration with more products, and more services."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure databases and we run a backup script for it.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's a simple system.

It's a cloud product and service for dummies.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with more products, and more services.

There are new products coming up all of the time with better integration. There are a number of things that are happening.

I have been using Azure Backup for several years.

It's a stable product.

It's a scalable solution. We have 100 users and we plan to continue using it.

Because it's part of Microsoft, you can have technical support from Microsoft.

There is no installation, it's all in the cloud. You're just building into it.

Price-wise, it's similar to AWS.

It's always better to see a lower price.

We evaluated several. IBM has similar services, as well as Azure, AWS, Rackspace offers some services but not the same as Azure. You have Google entering the space too, so you have GCP with them.

What other advice do I have?

It's a competitor to Amazon.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Azure Backup a nine out of ten.

NK
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up, stable, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

I use Azure Backup in my client's company.

What is most valuable?

We are happy with this product and have not found any issues while using it.

We have been working with Azure Backup for less than one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable product. My clients are small and medium-sized companies.

The support is good.

The initial setup is easy.

The price is somewhat high and could be lower.

I am…

What is our primary use case?

I use Azure Backup in my client's company.

What is most valuable?

We are happy with this product and have not found any issues while using it.

We have been working with Azure Backup for less than one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable product. My clients are small and medium-sized companies.

The support is good.

The initial setup is easy.

The price is somewhat high and could be lower.

I am currently evaluating Acronis Backup. If there is something better then we will switch to using it.

MB
Azure Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An enterprise product that suits all requirements

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up our private environment and virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring and tagging features could be improved.  I would like to see more functionality in regards to the mapping.

I have been using this solution for roughly one year.

Azure Backup is both very scalable and stable.

We've had both good and bad experiences with technical support. Sometimes they take a long time to respond to our requests.

The initial setup was very easy. I deployed it myself and I believe we had it up and running in one day.

What other advice do I

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up our private environment and virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring and tagging features could be improved.

I would like to see more functionality in regards to the mapping.

I have been using this solution for roughly one year.

Azure Backup is both very scalable and stable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other companies because it's an enterprise product that suits all requirements.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Download our free Azure Backup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.