NK
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User friendly, cost-effective, and the performance is good

• "It is easy to deploy workflows and schedule jobs."
  • "The setup and configuration process could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and this is one of the tools that we use when implementing solutions for our clients. I am currently managing a team that is working with the Azure Data Factory.

Our clients that use this solution are migrating their data from on-premises to the cloud.

One of our clients is building an integrated data warehouse for all of their data, using this solution. It is used to extract all of the data from different servers and store it into one place.

What is most valuable?

Our clients find that this solution has a very good performance. They like the speed.

It is easy to deploy workflows and schedule jobs. You can just click on the desktop and it works.

What needs improvement?

The setup and configuration process could be simplified.

We have been using Azure Data Factory for the past six months.

This is a stable product and we're expecting more updates from Microsoft. We have not used more than one terabyte of data so that remains untested, but for one terabyte it works fine.

Development is only done on an occasional basis, but the solution is used every day. If it is streaming data then the process is continuous, otherwise, it is initiated by the user on demand.

This solution is 100% scalable.

We have two clients working with this solution.

It is another team who is responsible for contacting technical support.

We have used other ETL solutions in the past, and Azure Data Factory is the best one. Compared to SSIS, for example, ADF is easier to use and the performance is better.

Our clients are migrating from on-premises SSIS solutions to the cloud because they want to take advantage of the latest technologies.

The installation is very simple and it doesn't take much time. For us, the deployment took about two days, which does not seem unreasonable for something that is on the cloud. Most of the time is spent waiting for credentials.

Depending on the sources of the data, four people are required for deployment and maintenance. If the sources are SQL databases then it is straightforward and four people can cope with it. If the data is more difficult then we may need more people.

The deployment is done in-house with a technical person with knowledge of the Azure cloud.

This is a cost-effective solution.

We have another team that is moving to AWS, but for now, we will continue working with Azure Data Factory. Once they have explored the AWS solution fully, we will compare the two.

What other advice do I have?

Within the next six months, we are planning to enter into the machine learning part of this solution. This is a product that I can recommend.

GV
Head of IT at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Helps integrate complex data needs and is easy to use

• "Powerful but easy-to-use and intuitive."
  • "The product could provide more ways to import and export data."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases are more related to logistics, our finance, and back-office activity.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of this product is the ease of use. It is easy to use and rather intuitive. Because it is easy to use, you can do things with it easily. The more things make your work easy, the more valuable they are.

What needs improvement?

Because I have not really done a really deep benchmark against competitors, I may not be familiar enough with the potential of competing products and capabilities to be able able to say what is missing or should be improved definitively.

From my perspective, the pricing seems like it could be more user-friendly. Of course, nothing is ever as inexpensive as you want.

Perhaps one good additional feature would be incorporating more ways to import and export data. It would be nice to have the product fit our service orchestration platform better to make the transfer more fluid.

We started using this product a year ago.

The stability of the product is good.

The scalability seems okay. As we have only been using it for a short time, it is hard to say more. We are not currently planning to scale usage dramatically at this point but of course we would like to grow. On a scale from one to ten and from what I know, I would say scalability is an eight-out-of-ten. I can't be sure exactly how many people are using the system, but we have hundreds of thousands of users currently. Internally, I would say we use the product often.

I have not had a reason to be in touch with technical support, but I don't know whether others in the organization have been in touch with them. As far as I know, there has been no reason to be.

The initial setup was not simple and it was not complex. It was in the middle.

I would say it took two months for the deployment.

We have a department of developers that implemented the product. The deployment happened before I joined the organization.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to someone who is looking to implement this product is to understand the IT technology of the product first and why it would be needed. That is the point where you have to start. Next, you have to understand if the product itself fits your organizational needs. That is you have to look at the business requirements and see whether the product really fits the organization and solves the problems while conforming to the business model.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the product overall as an eight-out-of-ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Azure Data Factory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RK
Business Unit Manager Data Migration and Integration at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Offers good flexibility and has good support

• "The flexibility that Azure Data Factory offers is great."
  • "The number of standard adaptors could be extended further."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for data integration. We use it to feed operational data into a data warehouse. We also use it for creating connections between applications.

Within our organization, there are a few thousand users of Azure Data Factory.

We believe that the number of customers and usage of this product will extend over the next few years. For this reason, we invest a lot of resources in building skills, and we make sure to hire consultants who know their way around Data Factory.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility that Azure Data Factory offers is great.

What needs improvement?

The number of standard adaptors could be extended further. What we find is that if we develop data integration solutions with Data Factory, there's still quite a bit of coding involved, whereas we'd like to move in a direction with less coding and more select-and-click.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for one year.

We don't have any complaints regarding scalability or stability.

I think Microsofts' technical support does a pretty good job. There is a lot of information available on the internet to find out how to use their products. There's also quite an active community. If you really can't find a solution, you can always call Microsoft. Our organization is partnered with Microsoft, so we usually get answers directly from them.

We used SSIS. We're still using SSIS. SSIS is an old product. The development of SSIS has more or less stopped and the development is now focused on cloud services — it's the future. Azure Data Factory Is great because it's a cloud service; you do not have to take care of the installation and configuration yourself. The cost buildup is also quite different. I am not sure that's a huge financial advantage yet, but we do believe that it will be in the future.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We didn't have to deploy Azure Data Factory. It's available as an Azure service, so Microsoft takes care of that.

It's a pay-per-use model. So if you run it, it's hardly licensing. The entire cost of Azure is per-use. The price you pay is determined by how much you use it.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Azure Data Factory. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

If there were a larger amount of automated features, I would give them a higher rating. As I mentioned earlier, if we are working on complex applications, then there is a lot of coding involved. What we hope is that over time, there'll be less coding and more "off the shelf" functionality.

MG
Lead BI&A Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and works fine but is relatively crude

• "In terms of my personal experience, it works fine."
  • "Azure Data Factory should be cheaper to move data to a data center abroad for calamities in case of disasters."

What is our primary use case?

We had an old, traditional data warehouse. We decided to put it into the cloud and we used Azure Data Factory to reform the EEL process from SQL server integration services to extra data.

What is most valuable?

Azure Data Factory was chosen by the team that I was not on at the time and who decided that this would be the move to the future. So I just went along with it.

In terms of my personal experience, it works fine.

What needs improvement?

We didn't have a very good experience. The first steps were very easy but it turned out that we used Europe for a Microsoft data center, also partly abroad for our alpha notes. As soon as we started using Azure Data Factory, the bills got higher and higher. At first we couldn't understand why, but it is very expensive to put data into a data center abroad. So instead, we decided to use only Northern Europe, which worked out for a while in the beginning. And then we had nothing to show for it. They gave me a really hard time for this.

Azure Data Factory should be cheaper to move data to a data center abroad for calamities in case of disasters.

What I really miss is the integration of Microsoft TED quality services and Microsoft Data services. If they were to combine those features in Data Factory, I think they would have a very strong proposition. They promise something like that on Microsoft Congress. That was years ago and it's still not here.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for a couple of years now, since about 2017.

Azure Data Factory is a stable solution.

Yes, Azure Data Factory is scalable.

We previously used SSIS because of Microsoft.

The installation is straightforward.

We use data engineers to do the install.

We pay monthly for this.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Azure Data Factory a seven. Compared to Informatica, it's really crude. I think it's a very crude solution.

Would I recommend Azure Data Factory? It depends if they need a straight reading in data, then I would say it's perfect. But with Informatica, you can do data storing and data quality checks - there is a lot there than just a data center.

I think Azure Data Factory is a mature product. We used Version One in my project and a lot of it isn't possible on this version. The Version Two is much faster and much better. It's not at the same level as Informatica.

Thomas Fuchs
General Manager Data & Analytics at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great data pipeline and the orchestration functionality with a good user interface

• "The initial setup is very quick and easy."
  • "Integration of data lineage would be a nice feature in terms of DevOps integration. It would make implementation for a company much easier. I'm not sure if that's already available or not. However, that would be a great feature to add if it isn't already there."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for data integration. We are using it for the data pipelines to get data out of the legacy systems and provide it to the Azure SQL Database. We are using the SQL data source providers mainly.

What is most valuable?

The data pipeline and the orchestration functionality are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The interface is very good. It seeks to be very responsive and intuitive.

The initial setup is very quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

I'm more of a general manager. I don't have any insights in terms of missing features or items of that nature.

Integration of data lineage would be a nice feature in terms of DevOps integration. It would make implementation for a company much easier. I'm not sure if that's already available or not. However, that would be a great feature to add if it isn't already there.

We've used the solution for the last 12 months or so.

From what I have witnessed, the solution is quite stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

We work with medium to enterprise-level organizations. Customers have anywhere from 300 employees up to 160,000 employees.

Microsoft offers a great community. There's a lot of support available. We're quite satisfied with the level of assistance on offer.

Since the solution is a service, it's basically just a click and run setup. It's very simple. There's very little implementation necessary. A company should be able to easily arrange it. The deployment doesn't take very long at all.

We do provide the implementation for our clients. We're able to provide templates as well. We have predefined implementation space in Data Factory and provide it to the customer.

While clients might individually evaluate other options, however, we're not aware of that information. I can't say what other solution clients might consider before ultimately choosing Microsoft. I would say that it is likely Talend and maybe SQL Server Integration Services.

What other advice do I have?

We are like an integrator. We are a data warehouse NPI consulting company and we use Data Factory to pull data from different legacy systems and do all these transformations that are necessary in order to provide analytical models.

In our normal scenario is that we are providing Azure SQL Databases together with Azure Data Factory and Power BI. 80% of our customers have recognized such a scenario.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at an eight. We've been largely happy with the capabilities of the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementator
GB
Principal Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Simple to set up and the activity copy functionality is helpful, but tutorials on the Snowflake connectivity should be added

• "The most valuable feature is the copy activity."
  • "Snowflake connectivity was recently added and if the vendor provided some videos on how to create data then that would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used this solution for getting data from a client's server, or online data, to an Azure Data Lake. We create pipelines to orchestrate the data flow from source to target.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the copy activity. Instead of creating a pipeline and then doing a source to target copy, this feature will create the pipeline directly.

What needs improvement?

Snowflake connectivity was recently added and if the vendor provided some videos on how to create data then that would be helpful. I think that everything is there, but we need more tutorials.

We have been working with Azure Data Factory for the past two years.

Occasionally, there are timeout issues that happen when connecting to the source or the target. Normally, you just hit refresh and it will connect properly.

Being a cloud product, it can scale as much as we need.

In my project, there are ten people using this product.

I have been in contact with technical support and it's good, as long as you directly connect with the appropriate technical person right away. When you raise an issue, sometimes the people who are available are unfamiliar with that particular technology, so they have to route the issue to the concerned person. This routing takes at least one or two days, so if you can directly get the corresponding person allocated to the ticket, that would be great.

The initial setup is simple and it only takes perhaps five minutes to deploy.

When one of our developers wants to use it, they can create their own jobs.

Our deployment was completed by an in-house team.

No maintenance is required and when we experience problems, we normally solve them on our own.

The licensing is a pay-as-you-go model, where you pay for what you consume.

What other advice do I have?

If you have Azure as a cloud service and you want to perform ETL then Azure Data Factory is a product that I can recommend.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

SB
Data Strategist | Azure Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
An easy initial setup with a fast deployment and good technical support

• "On the tool itself, we've never experienced any bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes. Stability has been good."
  • "If the user interface was more user friendly and there was better error feedback, it would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my small and medium-sized clients.

What is most valuable?

So far, I'm quite happy with the solution overall. It's got a lot of tools that I use in my work, and these are items I'm already recommending to my clients. I'm quite happy with it.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if I have any complaints about the solution at the moment. There are a few bits and pieces that we would like to see improved. These include improvements related to the solution's ease of use and some quality flash upgrades. However, these are minor complaints.

I've been working with the solution for three to four years now.

I haven't had the ability to scale any of my projects personally. I also wouldn't need to scale too high if I did. I'm not sure if I can speak to aspects of scalability as I've never dealt with it.

I've contacted Microsoft technical support in the past. I have to say that I've had a good experience with them. I've been quite satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I wouldn't describe it as complex.

Deployment is fast. It only takes about half an hour at most.

I don't have any information about the pricing. I don't deal with that aspect of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I typically work with small to medium-sized companies. I'm a consultant, so I give different advice based on what my clients need and what they want to do. However, I would recommend this product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. All of the issues I have with the solution are very minor, however, it means the solution isn't exactly perfect just yet.

AS
CTO at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fully integrated with the Azure environment and includes support for many connectors

• "The security of the agent that is installed on-premises is very good."
  • "The pricing scheme is very complex and difficult to understand."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to gather information from SCADA systems, analyze it using AI and machine learning, and then sending the results to our users. They receive and view the data using the Power BI interface.

How has it helped my organization?

The integration with the whole environment is smooth and transparent.

What is most valuable?

The reason that we implemented this product is for the full integration with the whole Azure environment. It is very important because you don't have to deal with security, identity flow, or audit flow.

The security of the agent that is installed on-premises is very good. This is another important feature for us.

It comes with a lot of connectors out of the box, including support for SQL, Oracle, SAP, and ODBC.

What needs improvement?

The pricing scheme is very complex and difficult to understand. Analyzing it upfront is impossible, so we just decided to start using it and figure out the costs on a weekly or monthly basis.

We have just begun using Azure Data Factory within the past two or three months and it is not fully rolled out yet.

We have no issues with technical support. We are working closely with Microsoft partners. There were a couple of problems during the installation that were solved on the fly, and otherwise, we haven't had and trouble.

We started with iConduct and as we migrated to the Azure environment, we began the process of switching to the Microsoft Azure Data Factory.

The initial setup was not very complex and the deployment was very quick. We were set up within a matter of days, or perhaps a week.

We received help from one of the Microsoft partners, who handled the installation for us.

What other advice do I have?

To this point, we are still learning the system and have only tried a very simple data flow. At this point, we haven't had any issues.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Azure Data Factory Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.