AJ
BI Practice Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up and integrates well, but it needs support for custom data delimiters

• "It is easy to integrate."
  • "You cannot use a custom data delimiter, which means that you have problems receiving data in certain formats."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is integrating data from different ERP systems and loading it into Azure Synapse for reporting. We use Power BI for the reporting side of it.

We also have customers who are migrating to Azure Data Factory and we are assisting them with making the transition.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to integrate.

I do not foresee any issues with security.

What needs improvement?

I find that Azure Data Factory is still maturing, so there are issues. For example, there are many features missing that you can find in other products.

You cannot use a custom data delimiter, which means that you have problems receiving data in certain formats. For example, there are problems dealing with data that is comma-delimited.

I have been using Azure Data Factor for almost one year.

The stability is dependent on how you set up your cloud infrastructure, and how you authorize people to make use of it.

I have not seen any issues with respect to scalability, as it is all hosted within the cloud. We have approximately 20 users.

I have been in contact with technical support, although most of the time I was told that the feature I was interested in was not yet available. In these cases, they will be implementing the missing features in the future.

I use several similar products by different vendors including Talend, Informatica, and Microsoft SSIS. The biggest advantage that Azure has is deployment. However, in others, it is possible to specify custom data delimiters.

The initial setup is pretty simple and it can be deployed in a couple of hours.

I deployed it myself and am also responsible for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Andres Felipe Naranjo
.NET Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A cloud-based data integration service that's easy to understand and use

• "I think it makes it very easy to understand what data flow is and so on. You can leverage the user interface to do the different data flows, and it's great. I like it a lot."
  • "It would be better if it had machine learning capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

I use Azure Data Factory in my company because we are implementing a lot of different projects for a big company based in the USA. We're getting certain information from different sources—for example, some files in the Azure Blob Storage. We're migrating that information to other databases. We are validating and transforming the data. After that, we put that data in some databases in Azure Synapse and SQL databases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it had machine learning capabilities. For example, at the moment, we're working with Databricks and Azure Data Factory. But Databricks is very complex to do the different data flows. It could be great to have more functionalities to do that in Azure Data Factory.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for about one year.

Azure Data Factory is a stable solution.

It's scalable. We're doing a lot of different integrations with a lot of data, and scalability is great.

The initial setup is straightforward. I think that it's so easy to start a project using that technology.

We have a team that's in charge of doing the deployments in Azure in different environments.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that there are many technologies to do this. For example, if you like to manage big data and do something with it, it would be better to use Databricks.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Azure Data Factory a nine.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Azure Data Factory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Balan Murugan
Azure Technical Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, has many built-in connectors for onboarding data, and offers good support

• "It has built-in connectors for more than 100 sources and onboarding data from many different sources to the cloud environment."
  • "We have experienced some issues with the integration. This is an area that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data integration.

What is most valuable?

It has everything we needed.

Being able to post your feedback and queries is a very good feature that is offered by Azure Data Factory.

What needs improvement?

Understanding the pricing model for Data Factory is quite complex. It needs to be simplified, and easier to understand.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

So far it's been stable. We have not experienced any issues.

I haven't put much thought into scalability.

I have contacted technical support.

If there are any queries, they have the provision to post them in the Data Factory GUI and we can contact the team directly. This is a very nice feature.

Any feedback or improvements that we post is acknowledged and taken care of.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was not complex.

Pricing is quite complex.

I have had feedback from many people and many of my team members, and they say that it is difficult to understand.

Understanding the pricing of Data Factory is quite complex.

It is not presented in a straightforward way.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate Azure Data Factory an eight out of ten.

Suraj Kshirsagar
Azure Architect\Informatica ETL Developer at Relativity
A helpful and responsive GUI, but there are a lot of tasks for which you need to write code

• "The most valuable feature is the ease in which you can create an ETL pipeline."
  • "The support and the documentation can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this primarily for ETL tasks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease in which you can create an ETL pipeline.

The GUI is very helpful when it comes to creating pipelines. The user interface is also very fast.

The connection to Snowflake is easy. I can store data and transform it during the ETL process before sending it to Snowflake.

What needs improvement?

Azure Data Factory is a bit complicated compared to Informatica. There are a lot of connectors that are missing and there are a lot of instances where I need to create a server and install Integration Runtime.

The support and the documentation can be improved.

There are a lot of tasks that you need to write code for.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for about six months.

I have experience with Informatica and I find it easier to use. For example, there are a lot of connectors that are directly available. Also, Informatica is able to take incremental copies, but with Azure, you have to write code to do that.

I have also worked with Matillion and Fivetran, and I feel that there are a lot of things that Azure can learn from these products. For example, with Fivetran there are very good connectors for copying data between other solutions. This is unlike Azure, where a lot of the time, I have to build my own logic.

The initial setup is complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Soumyojit Sen
Director of Product Management at EIM solutions
Powerful data transformations and the stability is good. Performance is good

• "The most valuable features are data transformations."
  • "The speed and performance need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is data loading.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are data transformations.

What needs improvement?

The speed and performance can be further improved.

This solution should be able to connect with custom APIs.

We have been using this solution for one or two months.

The stability of the Azure Data Factory is very good.

The scalability is good. We have about five users for this solution and they are all developers.

The technical support for this solution is good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of the Azure Data Factory was simple. It took us one week to deploy it.

We deployed this solution with our in-house team.

Good

Our licensing fees are approximately 15,000 ($150 USD) per month. There are no additional fees.

We evaluated a solution by Talend before selecting the Azure Data Factory.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to first get in touch with the Microsoft team to get their support so that you don't spend too much on research.

I would rate this solution a eight out of ten.

AT
Team Leader at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Complete solution with good interface, workflow, and ease of use

• "It is a complete ETL Solution."
  • "The Microsoft documentation is too complicated."

What is most valuable?

The features that I've found most valuable, in order: That it is a complete ETL Solution, the second one is interface, the third one workflow, and the fourth one ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that we're struggling with is increasing the competency of my team. So we think that the Microsoft documentation is too complicated.

I would like to see it more connected. I know they're working on the Snowflake data warehouse connector, but more connectors would be helpful.

I've been using Azure Data Factory for a few months.

It is stable.

Azure Data Factory is a scalable solution.

In terms of support, we haven't used the direct support but the community support is very good.

We previously used the Oracle Warehouse Builder. The reasons we stopped using it were that Warehouse Builder is at the end of its life-cycle and its slow performance.

The initial setup is complex.

We first implemented it ourselves but we're using a partner now. We thought we could do it ourselves but we needed specialty help.

I would highly recommend Azure Data Factory as it has proof of concept.

What other advice do I have?

We have nine people using Azure Data Factory.

On a scale of one to ten, I give it an eight.

SW
Senior Data Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Effective, easy to scale, stable, and reasonably priced

• "It's extremely consistent."
  • "Real-time replication is required, and this is not a simple task."

What is most valuable?

I like Azure Data Factory, it works quite well.

It is always effective. It's extremely consistent.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I wish it had was real-time replication when replicating data over, rather than just allowing you to drop all the data and replace it. It would be beneficial if you could replicate it.

Real-time replication is required, and this is not a simple task.

We are using the latest version of Azure Data Factory.

I have no issues with the stability of the Azure Data Factory. We have not had any glitches.

Azure Data Factory is extremely simple to scale.

This solution is used by a dozen people in our company.

I have not contacted technical support. We haven't needed the assistance of technical support.

We use Microsoft products such as Azure Databricks.

Azure Data Factory is the only solution that I have used since I started with this company.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. However, there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, it's pretty simple.

It's not particularly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It works very well.

I would rate Azure Data Factory an eight out of ten.

LS
Enterprise Data Architect at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Good support, easy to use, and integrates well with the rest of the activities on Azure

• "Its integrability with the rest of the activities on Azure is most valuable."
  • "It can improve from the perspective of active logging. It can provide active logging information."

What is our primary use case?

In my new organization, we are currently analyzing this solution. In my previous organization, I have worked with Azure Data Factory and Databricks.

It is deployed in a virtual private cloud.

What is most valuable?

Its integrability with the rest of the activities on Azure is most valuable.

It is also easier to work with. It has a nice user interface that would seem very familiar to some of the people who are coming from Microsoft SSIS and other similar kinds of activities. It makes it easy for them to pick it up quickly.

What needs improvement?

It can improve from the perspective of active logging. It can provide active logging information.

It should provide support for changing data capture on several other platforms.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is scalable. From the security perspective, it depends on how we implement it. It depends on the organization, but I don't see a challenge.

In my previous organization, we had close to a hundred people.

Their technical support is very good.

It was very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would generally recommend this solution if you have an Azure setup or Azure as a baseline.

I would rate Azure Data Factory an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
Download our free Azure Data Factory Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.