Azure Data Factory Overview

Azure Data Factory is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Informatica PowerCenter: Azure Data Factory vs Informatica PowerCenter

What is Azure Data Factory?

Create, schedule, and manage your data integration at scale with Azure Data Factory - a hybrid data integration (ETL) service. Work with data wherever it lives, in the cloud or on-premises, with enterprise-grade security.

Azure Data Factory Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Data Factory Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Azure Data Factory Customers

Milliman, Pier 1 Imports, Rockwell Automation, Ziosk, Real Madrid

Azure Data Factory Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Data Factory pricing:
  • "In terms of licensing costs, we pay somewhere around S14,000 USD per month. There are some additional costs. For example, we would have to subscribe to some additional computing and for elasticity, but they are minimal."
  • "I would not say that this product is overly expensive."
  • "This is a cost-effective solution."
  • "The price you pay is determined by how much you use it."

AS
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reasonably priced, scales well, good performance

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is getting data from the sensors. The sensors are installed on the various equipment across the plant, and this sensor gives us a huge amount of data. Some are captured on a millisecond basis. What we are able to do is the data into Azure Data Factory, and it has allowed us to scale up well. We are able to utilize that data for our predictive maintenance of the assets of the equipment, as well as the prediction of the breakdown. Specifically, we use the data to look at predictions for future possible breakdowns. At least, that is what we are looking to build towards.

• "The solution can scale very easily."
  • "My only problem is the seamless connectivity with various other databases, for example, SAP."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. I'd advise companies considering the solution that they need to be very clear about the use case they are trying to address. They need to understand the data ecosystem that they have and what percentage of data is coming in from the various ERP systems. Do that study properly and then come up with the right solution. If, for example, it is that the underlying data that they want to analyze is more than 60% residing in SAP, then probably Azure would not be the right platform to move ahead with. We're mostly satisfied with the product. However, getting it…
Kamlesh Sancheti
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Comprehensive and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Azure Data Factory is for data transformation and data loading. It works from your transaction systems, and we are using it for our HRMS, Human Resource Capital Management System. It picks up all the transactional data pick and moves into the Azure Data Warehouse. From there, we would like to create reports in terms of our financial positions and our resource utilization project. These are the reports that we need to build onto the warehouse. The purpose of Azure Data Factory is more about transformations, so it doesn't need to have a good dashboard. But, it has a feeding user interface for us… more »

• "Azure Data Factory's most valuable features are the packages and the data transformation that it allows us to do, which is more drag and drop, or a visual interface. So, that eases the entire process."
  • "We are too early into the entire cycle for us to really comment on what problems we face. We're mostly using it for transformations, like ETL tasks. I think we are comfortable with the facts or the facts setting. But for other parts, it is too early to comment on."

What other advice do I have?

If you're a Microsoft shop, if you want to get there easily, I think Azure is one of the better choices. Otherwise, other tools generally require specialized skills and specialized partners to come and implement it. Once implemented, then it becomes much easier to install. I can't comment right now. I've not talked to it in that fashion. Whatever was required by us, business users have been satisfied in the Data Factory setup. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Azure Data Factory an eight.
Learn what your peers think about Azure Data Factory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MayankRakesh
Sr. Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward and scalable but could be more intuitive

What is our primary use case?

There was a need to bring a lot of CRM and marketing data for some PNL analysis. We are connecting to the Salesforce cloud. In it, there's a specific solution in Salesforce Core CRM for the pharmaceutical industry. We are using the solution to connect to that and we are bringing in the various dimensions and transactions from that data source.

• "Data Factory itself is great. It's pretty straightforward. You can easily add sources, join and lookup information, etc. The ease of use is pretty good."
  • "On the UI side, they could make it a little more intuitive in terms of how to add the radius components. Somebody who has been working with tools like Informatica or DataStage gets very used to how the UI looks and feels."

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model. I'd warn others to ensure that the design should be frozen before you start building because overriding each other's code and managing code takes effort. To avoid or to reduce that effort, ensure that the design is frozen. You can build some configurable code rather than hard-coding everything into the jobs. That's the biggest recommendation. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's a pretty good solution, but over the past year, I've been limited on the number of cases I have on it. If it had a better user interface and was more intuitive I would…
Balan Murugan
Azure Technical Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Has the ability to copy data to any environment

What is our primary use case?

It's an integration platform, we migrate data across hybrid environments. We have data in our cloud environment or on-prem system so we use it for when we want to integrate data across different environments. It was a problem for us to get data from different hybrid environments.

• "From my experience so far, the best feature is the ability to copy data to any environment. We have 100 connects and we can connect them to the system and copy the data from its respective system to any environment. That is the best feature."
  • "The user interface could use improvement. It's not a major issue but it's something that can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give to someone considering this solution is to have some background in data warehousing and ETL concepts. Have the background about data warehousing and ETL that extract, transform, and load. If you have the background you need, you will be successful. If not, then my advice would be to learn a little more about it before using Data Factory. I would rate Data Factory as an eight out of ten.
Anand Kumar Singh
Associate General Manager-Architecture at TechnipFMC
Feature-rich, scales well, and it provides good extract, transform, and load functionality

What is our primary use case?

We are not using this product specifically as a data factory. We have taken Synapse Analytics as the entire component for the data warehousing solution. Azure Data Factory is one of the components of that, and we are using it for ETL.

• "The best part of this product is the extraction, transformation, and load."
  • "The need to work more on developing out-of-the-box connectors for other products like Oracle, AWS, and others."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would recommend this product. However, it depends on the target IT ecosystem. If they are utilizing a lot of Microsoft products like Power BI, Office, Project, SharePoint, and so forth, it's better to implement Data Factory because it will reduce a lot of effort spent to consume data from other sources. At this point, I can only rate based on my pre-implementation experience, so I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
NK
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User friendly, cost-effective, and the performance is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and this is one of the tools that we use when implementing solutions for our clients. I am currently managing a team that is working with the Azure Data Factory. Our clients that use this solution are migrating their data from on-premises to the cloud. One of our clients is building an integrated data warehouse for all of their data, using this solution. It is used to extract all of the data from different servers and store it into one place.

• "It is easy to deploy workflows and schedule jobs."
  • "The setup and configuration process could be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

Within the next six months, we are planning to enter into the machine learning part of this solution. This is a product that I can recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
GV
Head of IT at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Helps integrate complex data needs and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The use cases are more related to logistics, our finance, and back-office activity.

• "Powerful but easy-to-use and intuitive."
  • "The product could provide more ways to import and export data."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to someone who is looking to implement this product is to understand the IT technology of the product first and why it would be needed. That is the point where you have to start. Next, you have to understand if the product itself fits your organizational needs. That is you have to look at the business requirements and see whether the product really fits the organization and solves the problems while conforming to the business model. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the product overall as an eight-out-of-ten.
RK
Business Unit Manager Data Migration and Integration at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Offers good flexibility and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for data integration. We use it to feed operational data into a data warehouse. We also use it for creating connections between applications. Within our organization, there are a few thousand users of Azure Data Factory. We believe that the number of customers and usage of this product will extend over the next few years. For this reason, we invest a lot of resources in building skills, and we make sure to hire consultants who know their way around Data Factory.

• "The flexibility that Azure Data Factory offers is great."
  • "The number of standard adaptors could be extended further."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Azure Data Factory. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If there were a larger amount of automated features, I would give them a higher rating. As I mentioned earlier, if we are working on complex applications, then there is a lot of coding involved. What we hope is that over time, there'll be less coding and more "off the shelf" functionality.
See 13 more Azure Data Factory Reviews