Azure Defender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Defender is the #5 ranked solution in our list of XDR Security products. It is most often compared to Amazon GuardDuty: Azure Defender vs Amazon GuardDuty

What is Azure Defender?

Azure Defender, integrated with Azure Security Center, delivers Azure and hybrid cloud workload protection and security, including virtual machines, databases, containers, IoT, and more. With Azure Defender, you can:

- Protect hybrid data that’s hosted in Azure, on premises, or in other clouds and detect unusual attempts to access Azure Storage

- Scan container images for vulnerabilities in Azure Container Registry. Protect Azure Kubernetes Service instances

- Safeguard Windows servers and clients and protect Linux servers. Assess application vulnerabilities in virtual machines

- Monitor the security state of your hybrid cloud workloads via one console. Use Azure Arc to extend coverage to workloads outside Azure

To learn more about our solution, ask questions, and share feedback, join our Microsoft Security and Compliance Community.

Download the Cloud Workload Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Azure Defender Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Defender pricing:
  • "The price of the solution is good for the features we receive and there is an additional cost for Microsoft premier support. However, some of my potential customers have found it to be expensive and have gone on to choose another solution."
  • "Azure Defender is a bit pricey. The price could be lower."

Azure Defender Reviews

Georges-Emmanuel TOPE
Founder & CEO at Cloud Steroids
Effective ransomware feature, useful file system protection, and stable

• "The most valuable features are ransomware protection and access controls. The solution has helped us secure some folders on our systems from unauthorized modifications."
  • "The solution could improve by being more intuitive and easier to use requiring less technical knowledge."

What is our primary use case?

We are consultants and we have customers using Azure Defender for the protection of their businesses. Many of our customers are in the financial industry.

What is most valuable?

This solution has been very useful for securing core funds and preventing them from being hijacked by any application or spyware for our banking customers. People can be susceptible to scams easily because they are not aware of the current threat trends. We are able to scan for threats which have helped us limit the risks in the future.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, the solution could improve by providing more automation and clarity in the autoanalysis. When we provide our customers with a Microsoft solution for security, Microsoft has to go beyond the basic expectations to impress the customers.

I have been using Azure Defender for approximately one year.

The solution is very stable.

Azure Defender is scalable. We have not found any issue.

The technical support has been responsive. However, we need to be connected to the right level of support. For example, if you are a customer or if you purchased this solution as part of a certification, your level of satisfaction for support will depend on the provider you purchased it from. Microsoft will not be the one doing support for you. If you do not have premier support with Microsoft, as a cloud provider, you will have to support your customers when they are in need. Without Microsoft's premier support you only have break-fix support and if there is a major issue you will not have the help to understand what is happening, or how to prevent it from happening in the future.

The implementation can be difficult if there is not any prior training. There is a lot of elements that have to be understood.

We have an advisor that provides us with information to help us control and configure the solution. Additionally, they have assisted us with automation.

The price of the solution is good for the features we receive and there is an additional cost for Microsoft premier support. However, some of my potential customers have found it to be expensive and have gone on to choose another solution. Additionally, if the customer does not take the full package from Azure Defender it makes it difficult for us to manage the solution for them.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Defender an eight out of ten.

FN
Cyber Security Analyst at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Good security manager dashboard, that is stable, easy to use, and easy to deploy

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the vulnerability assessments and the glossary of compliance."
  • "As an analyst, there is no way to configure or create a playbook to automate the process of flagging suspicious domains."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

As an analyst, there is no way to configure or create a playbook to automate the process of flagging suspicious domains. Azure Defender does not have this capability and that is one of the features that is very crucial.

When we receive an alert on suspicious domains, we have to do it manually. We go to VirusTotal, or AlienVault to confirm. It would be useful to have it done automatically.

I have been using Azure Defender for three months.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

We have not paid for Azure technical support. We have not contacted technical support.

We have not worked with any other solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy, very easy.

Azure Defender is a bit pricey. The price could be lower.

We are also researching Darktrace. We wanted to see the capabilities that it offers.

What other advice do I have?

Azure Defender and Azure Resource Manager are all a part of Microsoft Azure. We use all of them.

This solution has the best security center, security manager dashboard that I have ever seen. I would recommend using this solution. It has everything in one place, and it's easy to configure and easy to deploy.

I would rate Azure Defender an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Cloud Workload Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Trend Micro, and more!