Azure Firewall Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Firewall Manager is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Firewall Security Management tools. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks Panorama: Azure Firewall Manager vs Palo Alto Networks Panorama

What is Azure Firewall Manager?

Azure Firewall Manager is a security management service that provides central security policy and route management for cloud-based security perimeters.

Download the Firewall Security Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Azure Firewall Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Firewall Manager pricing:
  • "The solution is certainly expensive in comparison with other cloud services."

Azure Firewall Manager Reviews

Muralidharan Neelameghan
Group CIO at e-Volve Innovation Pt
Responsive support, scales well, and it is easy to install

• "It is easy to install and does not require any plugins for your browser."
  • "There should be a simple one-click deployment for a firewall, rather than a set of setup instructions that include steps such as the DNS configuration, et cetera."

What is our primary use case?

This product is used primarily for platform security, where we have the B2B customers coming in through email and through LDAP.

We are especially focused on anti-spam and protection against phishing, and my biggest worry is a ransomware attack. This is because part of our business is in the financial sector.

The three main categories that we work with are endpoint security, personally identifiable information (PII), and DDoS.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the web firewall. It is easy to install and does not require any plugins for your browser. This was my first priority.

This price is good, although I am still evaluating whether it will be better by taking an out-of-the-box solution or instead implement something that is third-party.

What needs improvement?

There should be a simple one-click deployment for a firewall, rather than a set of setup instructions that include steps such as the DNS configuration, et cetera. It should be a friendly one-click process that is easy for non-technical or business people to do.

By bringing in an autonomous or semi-autonomous system, we would not have to supply several different parameters. Alternatively, if it were a query-based configuration then it would still be a benefit on top of what they have now.

Microsoft was unable to fully solve the problem with email phishing and spamming. Irrespective of whatever endpoint security solution you bring in from a third party, it requires constant AI and learning. This is something that is missing, and it is one place where you are forced to use a third party.

I have been working with Azure Firewall Manager for about two weeks.

I am a very recent user of this solution because we just migrated to Azure.

This is a stable solution.

This is definitely a scalable product, but it comes at a cost.

Because it's a web-based firewall, I don't think that there is any trouble with scalability. Everyone who is using it is protected, both in the cloud and on-premises. In an on-premises deployment, scalability is more difficult and requires a heavy investment in hardware.

We have just moved away from Symantec, moving to native Azure.

I started my journey because of the endpoint security and then from there, I found that Azure has an out-of-the-box firewall. This is the reason that we started engaging and exploring Azure.

The Azure pricing is good, although there are a lot of minor details compared to AWS.

Azure stack pricing, but only thing is it has too many nitty gritties and minor details, compared to AWS. AWS, definitely the pricing is reasonable to a normal human. Then it becomes a shopping cart of intellectual cart. So that part is definitely eliminated in Azure. You're able to see what you will lose, very obvious in front of your eyes by choosing any plan and what is the cost for it. That visibility is better, competitive. Yes.

We tried a couple of different products. The first was Symantec and another one is NGINX, which is open-source. There are a couple of others, as well, that we have engaged in a PoC with.

Microsoft Azure
AV
Assistant Consultant at Tata Consultancy
Reseller
Reasonably priced and scaled well but needs reverse NAT-ing capabilities

• "The solution is very easy to set up."
  • "We could do only one-way NAT-ing, where the traffic comes from outside to internal, to Azure, which is fine. However, when we actually do NAT-ed traffic to hit the firewall, that way is not working."

What is our primary use case?

What we are trying to do is, once the customer actually migrates from on-premise into the public cloud, is to take all of the on-premise components to the public cloud, and we are trying to replicate the classic Load Balancer environment into Azure Firewall

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us in multiple ways. For example, we don't require different spaces to manage it. Also, we can do a lot of automation integrations into the code. We could integrate it into the DevOps pipeline. Basically, it has helped us with our time-to-market for a very specific product when we are actually deploying or upgrading.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to set up. It's also cloud-native. It can be integrated into the DevOps life cycle. It can be part of your Azure template and has readily deployable roles. All of this is what we don't get with the classic firewalls.

The solution scales well.

The solution offers good stability.

We have found the pricing to be fair. It's not overly expensive.

What needs improvement?

With Azure Firewall, the problem is that the NAT-ing still has to be improved. They need reverse network address translation (NAT) capabilities. We cannot get the same NAT-ing capability as what we had in the on-premise deployment, where we could have multiple sources of IP coming in and could be NAT-ed to a specific IP. Similarly, we couldn't use the reverse NAT-ing of the scenario.

I've been dealing with the solution for the past four years at this point. It's been a while.

It is pretty stable. We've never had to troubleshoot once we actually deployed. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't freeze, and it doesn't crash. It's reliable.

It is scalable. I could deploy to the limit, and, if I required additional limits, I could call Microsoft and they could increase the soft limit.

We have never had an issue that would require us to contact technical support. Once you deployed, it's so stable that you never have to actually raise a case with Microsoft. Therefore, I can't speak to how they are. I've never talked with them.

The initial setup is very simple and very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

If you have a public interfaced web or an app or a database, it is easy.

The pricing is reasonable. We don't have any capital expenditures. It is only an operational expenditure.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and distributors. We're resellers.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten, and only due to the lack of the reverse NAT-ing capability.

I'd advise a company if they are starting fresh inside Azure Greenfield, this is a good option. However, if they are looking at this solution are migrating or replacing the same network configuration from on-premise to Azure, they will have to modify a lot. If it has to be implemented, especially in a NAT-ed environment, some extra study has to be done.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Palo Alto Networks, Amazon and others in Firewall Security Management. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1601697
CIT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides good protection for our application

• "The solution has improved our organization with its firewall."
  • "The price is okay. This said, the solution is certainly expensive in comparison with other cloud services."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to protect our application. We are talking about a gateway that allows anyone access to our application.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization with its firewall.

What is most valuable?

Everything about the solution is nice. The performance and price are okay and the configuration was easy. All is good.

Generally speaking I am satisfied.

What needs improvement?

When we initially started using the solution around five years ago there was no wizard for setting things up, although now there is a very nice one. When it comes to configuration, a few steps is all it takes. However, beforehand, there was a need to enter and understand everything that was necessary for configuring the firewall. There is no additional documentation or training required.

When we first started using the product there was a need to enter everything on one's own and the initial setup was not easy. Now, after a few clicks, everything is fine.

We started using Azure Firewall Manager around five years ago.

The solution is very stable.

One can scale the solution to his heart's content. All the architecture can be applied on the cloud.

As we have a price agreement with them, we are entitled to direct support from Microsoft.

The initial setup has been greatly simplified since we undertook it initially. In the past, there was a need to do everything on one's own and now only a few clicks are required.

What other advice do I have?

We have a business application for public cloud and use Azure for this. We also have certain local installations, as well as some other hybrid clouds. So, this varies with the customer requirements. We must comply with customers who do not wish for their data to be outside their premises and for these we restore the system and database locally. Some use public cloud with no problem. Others want the application in the public cloud but their data insights to be on-premises. Consequently, we have different architecture for the same application.

We have around five users making use of the solution.

I would definitely recommend the solution to my clients, especially if one is using Azure Cloud. It is a very nice product.