Azure Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Firewall is the #19 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks VM-Series: Azure Firewall vs Palo Alto Networks VM-Series

What is Azure Firewall?

Azure Firewall is a managed, cloud-based network security service that protects your Azure Virtual Network resources. It is a fully stateful firewall as a service with built-in high availability and unrestricted cloud scalability.

Azure Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Azure Firewall Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Firewall pricing:
  • "The licensing module is good."
  • "Azure Firewall is quite an expensive product."

Azure Firewall Reviews

RH
Senior Security Operations and Cyber Risk Analyst at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good value for your money, good URL filtering, supports intrusion prevention, and is stable

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect the Azure space and to be the bridge between on-premise and the cloud. When I have had a site-to-site VPN set up and configured, and would use it to allow ordinary traffic from the on-premise device to the cloud and from other third-party suppliers to the Azure platform. We also use it to provide connectivity to various network security groups that have been created within Azure.

• "I think that one of the best features is definitely the premium version, along with the IDPs in terms of the intrusion detection and prevention system."
  • "For larger enterprises, they need to adjust the scalability."

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid solution. I would tell anybody to definitely give it a try, and consider it as one of the options when looking for a firewall to use in Azure space. I would say if they can go for the premium version upfront, rather than starting with the standard version, then trying to transition to a premium version. It addresses a lot of the issues and concerns in this space today. They should start with the premium rather than upgrade. Once they can afford it, go straight to premium. I would rate Azure Firewall an eight out of ten.
Vladimir Jirasek
Founder & CEO at Foresight Cyber Ltd
Easy to set up, good integration, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Azure Firewall makes up part of our security solution. We use it internally but we are a consulting company and also advise our customers on the use of it.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration into the overall cloud platform."
  • "Currently, it only supports IP addresses, so you have to be specific about the IPs that are in your environment."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to be clear about your requirements. It is critical to know what the capabilities of the firewall are, as well as what is nice to have when it comes to filtering and protecting the environment. There are different threat profiles when it comes to protecting user traffic. For example, in a VDI environment, where the users are in the cloud, generating traffic and browsing the internet on virtual machines, Azure might not be the best fit. On the other hand, to protect the workloads on servers like application servers or database servers…
Learn what your peers think about Azure Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EW
Owner at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Recently added features such as SD-WAN have greatly simplified operations

What is our primary use case?

We are currently working with Microsoft, trying to develop a new solution which is based on VeloCloud. It's an SD-WAN solution. This product has not been launched in China yet and we still have some work to do. I'm the company owner and five of my team use Azure Firewall. It's a startup team and I work with Microsoft directly.

• "Great security and connectivity."
  • "The interface could be improved, it's not very user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

The network firewall is a complex project, you have to review all the requirements. It's possible that sometimes the Azure Firewall won't be able to support some things because they customize their applications and they may not meet with the Azure Firewall's features. Each user has unique requirements on shaping or manipulating network traffic. I wouldn't recommend any product without doing the research. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
DL
Network Engineer at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
Highly scalable but lacks support for back-to-back firewall architecture

• "Azure Firewall's feature that I have found most valuable is its scalability."
  • "Right now, with Azure Firewall, we cannot have a normal inbound traffic flow. For inbound, Microsoft suggests using application gateways, so the options are very limited. I cannot use this firewall as an intermediate firewall because of the limitations, and I cannot point routing to another firewall. So if I want to use back-to-back firewall architecture in my environment, I cannot use Azure Firewall for that type of configuration either."

What other advice do I have?

I would only recommend Azure Firewall depending on the requirements. If it is an enterprise that has basic requirements and needs to do packet filtering and a certain level of intrusion prevention, so for the level of IP whitelisting, it's a good product. It is easy to manage and it is scalable. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Azure Firewall a six because of the configuration issue. In terms of NAT configuration, the configuration management is one issue. Another issue is intrusion prevention with the NAT configuration and the URL category-based filtering features. The ease of…
Christian Cutajar
Head of IT at NetRefer
Good pricing, useful features, and satisfactory technical support

What is our primary use case?

Basically, our organization is using the solution to inspect the traffic. I'm using the solution as the main defense system prior to de-traffication on the NGX layer (layer seven). Then, of course, we're forwarding to the Kubernetes cluster.

• "The solution has many useful features. For example, the solution allows users to create virtual IP addresses."
  • "The solution doesn't offer the same capabilities of Fortinet. It should offer intrusion prevention and advance filtering. These are two very useful features offered on Fortinet that Azure lacks."

What other advice do I have?

We're Azure partners and have an enterprise agreement with the company, however, we may be switching. We also have a dedicated Account Manager with the company. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's missing a few capabilities our organization would really like to see.
SV
Cloud Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and can autoscale but requires more use cases

What is our primary use case?

We mostly utilize the solution for effectively controlling the networks.

• "The solution can autoscale."
  • "Azure should be able to work better as a balancer also, instead of just being a firewall. It should have a wider mandate."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer at this time. We don't have any kind of special business relationship with Azure. I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm currently using is. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten overall. It works well for us in terms of controlling traffic and if is stable and can scale, however, there should be more use cases available.
DL
Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides a good link to Azure and SQL servers but should have groupings for servers

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an internal firewall device.

• "The solution should be capable of self-scaling, which is one of the features we like about it."
  • "It would be nice to be able to create groupings for servers and offer groups of IP addresses."

What other advice do I have?

I would estimate the number of people in our organization who are utilizing the solution to be 100 +. My advice to others is to set up a free account and try it. It's relatively easy to do. Only this way can a person see if the solution suits his needs. I rate Azure Firewall as a seven out of ten.
KI
Manager - Network & Security at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Easy to deploy and scales well, but next-generation firewall features should be added

What is our primary use case?

We are a technical services company and we are in the data center space. We provide different solutions, including firewalls such as Azure Firewall, to our clients depending on their needs. We have a large customer base that is global in scope and we provide hosting services as well as managed services. We have solutions deployed in both public cloud and private cloud environments. We typically use this solution in the perimeter layer, although we do have some use cases where we handle East-west traffic.

• "The Layer four features are okay and meet my business needs."
  • "This solution is not mature when it comes to handling perimeter traffic like internet browsing."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for internet-facing network traffic. When it comes to rating this solution, there are two components here. For layer four traffic, I would rate it an eight out of ten. For layer seven traffic, however, I would rate it less. Overall, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 6 more Azure Firewall Reviews
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Azure Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.