Azure Front Door OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Front Door is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top CDN tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure Application Gateway: Azure Front Door vs Microsoft Azure Application Gateway

What is Azure Front Door?

Azure Front Door is a global, scalable entry-point that uses the Microsoft global edge network to create fast, secure, and widely scalable web applications. With Front Door, you can transform your global consumer and enterprise applications into robust, high-performing personalized modern applications with contents that reach a global audience through Azure.

Azure Front Door is also known as Azure Front-Door.

Download the CDN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Azure Front Door Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Front Door pricing:
  • "It is on a pay-as-you-go basis."

Azure Front Door Reviews

ThomasZebar
Senior Azure Solution Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Provides a rich toolset for security, directing traffic, and rewriting headers and URLs

• "You can assign as many web application firewall policies as you want to the same instance of Front Door."
  • "There is room for improvement and they're working on it."

What is our primary use case?

If you have a web application in the back end, that's what the Front Door is for: you have to have a web application firewall.

Microsoft's Web Application Firewall is designed for the Application Gateway and regional load balancing, or global balancing with Front Door.

What is most valuable?

It works perfectly and you can assign as many web application firewall policies as you want to the same instance of Front Door.

While Front Door works on Layer 7, Traffic Manager works on Layers 3 and 4, and is mainly a DNS router. You can use either one. But, if you have web applications, Front Door can provide you with a much richer toolset, especially when it comes to security, directing traffic, and rewriting the header and the URL.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement and they're working on it. Every six months they come out with a preview of changes.

Front Door is a global load balancer on Layer 7 and you use it with the Azure Web Application Firewall.

Azure Front Door's stability is very nice.

The only thing you need to do is to create your Web Application Firewall files. It's that simple. You don't need to create a custom balancer because Microsoft covers that in the application.

It's a piece of cake to maintain. Usually, when I design it, I train the staff on each resource for around three to four hours. Within two to three days, they are up and running and know how to manage it.

What other advice do I have?

They concentrated on Layer 7. If you go to the portal, you'll see that they put the load balancer in just one service, whether it is Application Gateway, Azure Load Balancer, or Front Door. They then ask you a question: "Do you want local, regional, or global?" and they will tell you which one to choose.

However, you could use the web application firewall with Front Door without needing it. If you are worried about the traffic going out from your infrastructure—if there is anything malicious there—the web application firewall will not do TLS. It's just for incoming traffic. That's what Azure Firewall does.

JC
CTO Executive at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to implement and affordable with a fast deployment

• "The price is one of the most important aspects of the product. It's quite affordable."
  • "I'm responsible for the governance and cost control of Azure. I'm not a specialist in any products and therefore I couldn't really speak effectively to features that are lacking or missing."

What is our primary use case?

We tend to use every aspect of the product. We use Azure Front Door, the Web Application Firewall on Front Door, and the Application Gateway. We implement all of these solutions for our customers. It depends on the need of our customers. The solution supports a lot of data publishing work.

What is most valuable?

The price is one of the most important aspects of the product. It's quite affordable.

The ease of the implementation is a helpful aspect. It's really, really vital. It's very easy to implement for our customers. We simply handle the first phase and Microsoft does all the rest. The cloud makes it easy. The deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

I'm not a product specialist. There are other people in the company I work for and they are specialists in each of the products of Microsoft. I'm responsible for the governance and cost control of Azure. I'm not a specialist in any products and therefore I couldn't really speak effectively to features that are lacking or missing.

We tend to only focus on Microsoft products, including Azure.

The setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's quite easy to implement. The deployment is fast and is mostly handled by Microsoft. It's a great aspect of the product overall.

We help our clients implement the solution.

The pricing is pretty good. It's reasonably priced in general.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Microsoft partner. We implement a lot of products from Microsoft for our customers. We're a partner specializing in Azure and therefore we implement many features that Azure has. We implement Azure Front Door and Microsoft Azure Application Gateway.

Usually, Azure is a public cloud. We deploy only Azure. We don't deploy anything on-prem and so we deploy AWS specifically only in the Azure cloud. A lot of our clients these days are moving over to the cloud, and we are assisting with that process.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Cloudflare and others in CDN. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GM
CTA - Entrepreneur at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
It inspects the traffic at the network level and is stable, scalable, and easy to set up

• "It inspects the traffic at the network level before it comes into Azure. We can do SSL offloading, and it can detect abnormalities before the traffic comes into the application. It can be used globally and is easy to set up. It is also quite stable and scalable."
  • "We should be able to use Front Door defenders with multiple cloud vendors. Currently, they can be used only with the Azure cloud. Azure Front Door should also be able to do global load balancing and provide internal front door services. Microsoft should clearly define what Traffic Manager, Application Gateway, and Azure Front Door products do. These are similar products, and people get confused between these products."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for external security filtering to protect our external traffic that is coming into Azure.

What is most valuable?

It inspects the traffic at the network level before it comes into Azure. We can do SSL offloading, and it can detect abnormalities before the traffic comes into the application.

It can be used globally and is easy to set up. It is also quite stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

We should be able to use Front Door defenders with multiple cloud vendors. Currently, they can be used only with the Azure cloud. Azure Front Door should also be able to do global load balancing and provide internal front door services.

Microsoft should clearly define what Traffic Manager, Application Gateway, and Azure Front Door products do. These are similar products, and people get confused between these products.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is quite stable.

It is easily scalable. It is set up for the enterprise, and it is a global task manager.

Their technical support is pretty good.

Its initial setup is easy.

It is on a pay-as-you-go basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure Front Door an eight out of ten.