Azure Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Monitor is #8 ranked solution in APM tools. IT Central Station users give Azure Monitor an average rating of 8 out of 10. Azure Monitor is most commonly compared to Datadog:Azure Monitor vs Datadog. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Azure Monitor?

Azure Monitor maximizes the availability and performance of your applications by delivering a comprehensive solution for collecting, analyzing, and acting on telemetry from your cloud and on-premises environments. It helps you understand how your applications are performing and proactively identifies issues affecting them and the resources they depend on.

Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Azure Monitor Customers

Rackspace, First Gas, Allscripts, ABB Group

Azure Monitor Video

Azure Monitor Reviews

reviewer1188402
Manager - Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Requires out of the box monitoring, real-time monitoring, and better network mapping

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The process of implementation needs to be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a Server monitoring service.

What is most valuable?

The solution can be scaled.

The solution is quite stable.

What needs improvement?

Overall, we're not too enthusiastic about the solution.

The solution is administration heavy, and very cumbersome. Using it is a lot of work on the admin side. It doesn't do things out of the box the way other products do.

The new  data ingest pricing model is wrong. They should scrap that all together. It should be a flat rate per year. As of right now, it fluctuates month to month, so it's hard to really know how much you will be charged.

The solution needs a lot of work. It needs out of the box monitoring, real-time monitoring, and better network mapping.  There are many features that are lacking.

The process of implementation needs to be easier.

The problem is the solution only does Azure. It can't monitor any other SAAS products. That's a very limiting design flaw.

We've been dealing with the solution for three years at this point.

The stability is okay. I just think it doesn't have the same agility as its competitors like ExtraHop, New Relic, or Dynatrace.

It's nowhere near as good as those products.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. A company has the capabilities of expanding if they need to.

I personally have never contacted technical support. However, we haven't had any issues. We haven't really used the solution in any great detail and therefore haven't run into many issues simply due to it being complicated to administer its features.

The solution is currently replacing SCOM, and SCOM is a very admin heavy product. Azure Monitor seems to require a lot of admin as well.

Neither are out-of-the-box solutions. Both require a lot of work.

I didn't participate in implementing the solution, so I can't personally evaluate how the process went. I'm not sure if it's complex or straightforward. However, one of my technicians handles the process, and it's my understanding that it's very complicated to set up.

In House

None, it cost more to run than any benefits gained

Due to the fact that the pricing has changed to a date ingest model, it can get very expensive. The costing can fluctuate quite a bit month to month.  There isn't a way to really say this costs so many dollars a month.

No unfortunately as this product came with our bulk licensing agreement.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Microsoft customer. We don't have any special relationship with the company.

We use a mixture of hybrid, public, and private cloud in terms of deployment models.

The product is not as good as a lot of market-leading products.

We haven't used the solution a great deal yet. We've only just scratched the surface. because we don't have the time to spend on it.

I'd rate the solution four our of ten.

I wouldn't recommend the solution at all. I would direct other companies to go to either ExtraHop or New Relic. I would go to Dynatrace as well if I had the choice.

Microsoft Azure Monitor would be one of the last things on my list to recommend to others.

William Scheuernstuhl
Senior System Administrator at BCBS of Kansas City
Good and stable for collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure

• "Azure Monitor is really just a source for Dynatrace. It's just collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure. It is fairly good at that."
  • "There are a lot of things that take more time to do, such as charting, alerting, and correlation of data, and things like that. Azure Monitor doesn't tell you why something happened. It just tells you that it happened. It should also have some type of AI. Environments and applications are becoming more and more complex every day with hundreds or thousands of microservices. Therefore, having to do a lot of the stuff manually takes a lot of time, and on top of that, troubleshooting issues takes a lot of time. The traditional method of troubleshooting doesn't really work for or apply to this environment we're in. So, having an AI-based system and the ability to automate deployments of your monitoring and configurations makes it much easier."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Azure Monitor end connection as a hybrid model where it's integrated into Dynatrace. Azure Monitor monitors the infrastructure of Azure within our cloud environment. It doesn't give you any explanations or anything like that. It's just metrics, just data. We've integrated this data into Dynatrace so that the Dynatrace system and AI can give accurate response times, performance on metrics, and things like that.

What is most valuable?

Azure Monitor is really just a source for Dynatrace. It's just collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure. It is fairly good at that.

What needs improvement?

It should also have some type of AI. Environments and applications are becoming more and more complex every day with hundreds or thousands of microservices. Therefore, having to do a lot of the stuff manually takes a lot of time, and on top of that, troubleshooting issues takes a lot of time. The traditional method of troubleshooting doesn't really work for or apply to this environment we're in. So, having an AI-based system and the ability to automate deployments of your monitoring and configurations makes it much easier.

We have been using Azure Monitor for nine months.

It's pretty stable.

I haven't scaled it. We're still building things.

I didn't personally have to deal with them. I did contact them once or twice earlier on. It was okay. It seemed like the usual Microsoft kind of approach. You submit an email and all of your information, and then you get a response back the next day. I'm sure it would be better if you had a support plan, but I don't know that specifically.

There needs to be a better process or method to deploy and configure it. Currently, there's a lot of manual intervention. It is not really an out-of-the-box solution.

If you want to get help, you will have to pay for it. Otherwise, you just do it on your own. The problem with doing it on your own is that if you're not so familiar with it, then you have to first familiarize yourself with Azure and setting up different alerts, etc. You really don't get a whole lot of these complexities with Dynatrace.

I wasn't a part of Azure deployment. My area of focus is Application Performance Monitoring, and I was involved with that. For the rest of the Azure environment, there were several teams.

What other advice do I have?

There is Azure Monitor, and then there is Azure Application Insights, which is a component of Azure. Azure Application Insights does similar things as Dynatrace, but just not as good as Dynatrace. There's a lot of manual configuration for Azure Monitor and Application Insights, which isn't there with Dynatrace.

I would rate Azure Monitor an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Azure Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good monitoring of infrastructure and applications. The capacity reservations is a great way to cut costs by up to 25% compared to USE-BASED PAYMENT.

• "We like this searchability and availability of the data."
  • "The price could be lower but it is not a must."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting and software development firm and we have a lot of experience with Cloud solutions. In 2019 we start our Solutions in Microsoft Azure. The Azure Monitor is one of the products that we used for our solutions and client tools to monitor the relevant infrastructur, applications and problems. Azure Monitor is a usefull tool to have a dashboard with all metrics information over all using enviroments.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Monitor has made it much easier for us to constantly monitor the infrastructure and applications with possible problems. With regular use and maintenance, the emerging scope of evaluation data can also be clearly arranged.

Downtimes are no longer desirable these days and with Azure Monitor the undetected downtime has been reduced to a few minutes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the survey of surveillance data in real time and the useful dashboard.

We like the performance display of the applications and the ability to identify problems as well as resources on which they depend.

Service Health is very helpful in identifying existing service problems and leading to a quick solution.

What needs improvement?

Sending multidimensional metrics through diagnostic settings should be supported.

We have been working with Azure Monitor for the past year. In 2019 we starting in the Azure Cloud with our solutions.

Azure Monitor is very stable.

To this point, my impression is that it is scalable and it is a good tool to find infrastructure and application problems in realtime. We are in the B2B market and our clients are enterprise-level companies.

We do not generally use technical support. The linked help and built-in assistants can often provide immediate help. We look for tutorials and search the web using Google/Bing to find solutions to our problems if we have them.

In the Azure Monitor case, everything was self-explanatory and the additional online help was completely sufficient.

Prior to Azure Monitor, we did not work with any similar solutions.

I would say that the initial setup is somewhere between easy and complex. It starts a little bit easier with the wizards, but if you want to achieve the best performance then you have to know the product well.

Find infrastructure and application problems in realtime.

Using the capacity reservations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Azure Monitor is to look for the tutorial before starting. Then, to install and set up the monitor, use the wizards. The combination will help you to find the best ways to use the tools.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
ATHANASSIOS FAMELIARIS
S/W Technologies & Processes Unit Manager at Unisystems
Extremely reliable with good load and metrics gathering and very good analysis

• "Good load and metrics gathering and very good analysis."
  • "Automation related to gathering metrics from more applications could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution is application monitoring using the Insights app. We have about five specialists in our operations team and we also have an application management team of around 10 people. There are plans to increase usage but that's something that is driven by the customers that we provide our services to. We partner with Azure Monitor and I work as a SW technologist and process unit manager in the company.

What is most valuable?

There are a few good features in this solution. First, it's integrated with Azure DevOps. Second, it has good load gathering and very good analysis. Finally, the metrics gathering, even though it requires some actions and application level, is also fairly good.

What needs improvement?

I think the product could be improved if they were to work on automation related to gathering metrics from more applications without the need for instrumentation and things like that. I'd like them to work more on that.

Additional features they could include would be more automations related to applications and monitoring, user experience monitoring on the application level. Improvement on technical support would also be helpful.

I've been using the solution for six months.

This is a stable solution.

I haven't tested the solution for scalability but from the specifications it seems that it would be easily scalable.

The technical support could be improved - their response time can be quite slow.

Prior to using Azure Monitor I used SolarWinds. I think that SolarWinds is more infrastructure level oriented while Azure covers infrastructure but also covers the application side. That's why we migrated to Azure.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Transfer to the solution required some training so I think in total it took us about two weeks.

Before choosing Azure Monitor, we evaluated it compared to SolarWinds and Dynatrace, which was a more expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good enough product for anyone wanting something that might not be top of the range but it does the work easily, is simple to configure and is a fair price.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
RD
Principal Application Developer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides an overview and high-level information of where problems lie; lacks sufficient user flow information

• "Provides an overview and high-level information."
  • "Lacks information including details related to where problems lie."

What is our primary use case?

We all use Microsoft in the company and we are customers of Azure Monitor.

What is most valuable?

The product is very good for developers who want to integrate with Visual Studio. The solution provides an overview and high-level information on what hurdles to expect, and which endpoints have problems.

What needs improvement?

If Azure Monitor wants to compete with other APM products in the industry, it has to stitch together the information and user flow. It also needs to provide all the information, as you get with Stock Trace, including details related to where the call came from and where the problem lies. That's what we'd like to see. With a solution like Dynatrace, you have a clear path and you know which calls were made before and after the problem, and where the issue occurred. That feature is lacking in Azure Monitor.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution scales easily. It's not a big deal for Azure Monitor or any other APM product.

With Azure, implementation needs to be carried out in multiple places and you need to add other things to get the information and that's a tedious process. The Dynatrace setup is much easier.

We made a comparison between Dynatrace on-prem and Azure Monitor as to what each solution offers. Azure is great for developers wanting to integrate with Visual Studio but when it provides Azure monitoring information on the dashboard there is a lot of Google analytics. When it comes to the application performance monitoring information, Azure gives you the overview or high-level information regarding issues and which endpoints have a problem, but it doesn't give you anything in-depth at the matter level.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know what your requirements are. If you're able to put best practices in place, and need to add SBKs and turn on profiling at the meter level to look into the details, then Azure Monitor can help. But if that's not something you need, Monitor might not be the best solution for you.

I rate the solution six out of 10.

Pradeep Saxena
Chief Technical Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Excellent security features, good technical support, and easy to use

• "The solution works well overall. It's easy to implement and simple to use."
  • "I'd like the solution to do more around vulnerability assessment. It's lacking in the product right now."

What is our primary use case?

I use this service for log analytics of application and SQL database

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the quality of application and through this we are able to analyze application performance, it gives alerts and insights of the application which helps us so much

What is most valuable?

The solution offers excellent security features.

The product provides us with useful alerts that makes recommendations about the security and the platform.

The solution works well overall. It's easy to implement and simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about one year so far.

The solution is quite stable on the cloud. We haven't had issues. There have been no bugs, crashes or glitches. We've found it to be quite reliable so far.

The solution is quite scalable, especially on the cloud. If a company needs to expand, it can easily do so. There aren't constraints.

The technical support is excellent. I have premium support, so when I need assistance I'm able to easily get it.

The initial setup is not complex and is, in fact, quite straightforward. It's good.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number.

Basically, it's a service. I'm a partner of Microsoft. I'm using this solution for monitoring for my customers. I believe it's a good product for me, to monitor all the services across many clients.

The businesses I assist are all small or medium-sized companies.

I would recommend the solution. Any company can just buy the product and use it straight away. There is no need for a proof of concept.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

PR
Senior Java Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Stable but difficult to use

• "Azure Monitor is very stable."
  • "In my opinion, they should improve the overall user experience, especially when it comes to indexing and searching collective logs."

What is our primary use case?

I use the SaaS version. I use Azure Monitor to collect and index logs for my systems. It allows me to search through my logs and find bugs and mistakes. From there, it helps me report these mistakes.

We use this solution every day. I plan on continuing to use this solution for specific parts of projects but for other portions of my projects, I plan on using DataDog or something similar.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to say as I only use a small part of this solution; however, It can be quite difficult to use at times. I think there are better solutions available.

In my opinion, they should improve the overall user experience, especially when it comes to indexing and searching collective logs. The search language they've developed is quite difficult to understand.

I have been using Azure Monitor for roughly two years.

Azure Monitor is very stable.

I've never had to contact technical support for this solution. I haven't encountered any issues that required their assistance.

We used to use an on-premise solution, but I cannot remember the name of it. We switched over to Azure because it was better suited to our needs.

As this is a cloud solution, the initial setup was very easy. Deployment took only 10-15 minutes — it's very simple.

I was not involved with the licensing of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, Azure Monitor is not the best solution available on the market. My advice is to check out other solutions before you decide to implement Azure Monitor.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Azure Monitor a rating of five. The user experience needs to be improved. It takes a lot of time and organization to learn how to use it properly. It's much more difficult to use compared to other solutions.

reviewer1188402
Manager - Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Watches for network anomalies and keeps our servers up, but the GUI needs to be improved

• "The most valuable feature is that it ensures our servers are up."
  • "When something goes down, we want the option to have automation in place to get it back up again as quickly as possible."

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple monitoring tools at the moment and are looking for a single solution that can monitor everything. As part of our current setup, we are using Azure Monitor to monitor our network.

It ensures that our network is responding correctly and looks to see if there are any anomalies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it ensures our servers are up.

What needs improvement?

When something goes down, we want the option to have automation in place to get it back up again as quickly as possible.

It is not very user-friendly so the GUI can be improved.

We have just started using Azure Monitor.

We have had no issues with respect to stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

We have used other monitoring tools and one of the advantages of Azure Monitor is that it is easier for us to use because we're mainly a Microsoft shop.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We deployed in stages over about a month.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this tool is to take your time with it and see if it is the right one for you. If it is, then get rid of all of the other tools.

This is a good product but it is not very user-friendly at this stage.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free Azure Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.