Azure Monitor Overview

Azure Monitor is the #6 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to Splunk: Azure Monitor vs Splunk

What is Azure Monitor?

Azure Monitor maximizes the availability and performance of your applications by delivering a comprehensive solution for collecting, analyzing, and acting on telemetry from your cloud and on-premises environments. It helps you understand how your applications are performing and proactively identifies issues affecting them and the resources they depend on.

Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Azure Monitor Customers

Rackspace, First Gas, Allscripts, ABB Group

Azure Monitor Video

TonyKerr
IT Consultant at Productive IT Solutions
This integrated add-on for Microsoft Azure helps monitor performance of the base product

What is our primary use case?

I use Monitor for up-down (up time / down time) monitoring and tracking performance events within Azure. Essentially, I use it for log analytic searches, backend searches, and also to provide insights into Azure Monitor.

• "A product that is well-integrated for monitoring Microsoft Azure."
  • "As a younger product it still has room for feature improvement and enhancement."

What other advice do I have?

I have been using this product almost since it was first released. It changed in the last two or three years to be officially launched. I think the initial release of Monitor came out about four years ago and has improved a bit. So on a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Azure Monitor further up there than I would have before. It is eight now. It is really production-ready. I'm not going to give it 10 out of 10 cause nothing's ever that good but I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10. To get closer to being a ten they would need automation of alerting. What I…
reviewer1188402
Manager - Infrastructure at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Requires out of the box monitoring, real-time monitoring, and better network mapping

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a Server monitoring service.

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The process of implementation needs to be easier."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Microsoft customer. We don't have any special relationship with the company. We use a mixture of hybrid, public, and private cloud in terms of deployment models. The product is not as good as a lot of market-leading products. We haven't used the solution a great deal yet. We've only just scratched the surface. because we don't have the time to spend on it. I'd rate the solution four our of ten. I wouldn't recommend the solution at all. I would direct other companies to go to either ExtraHop or New Relic. I would go to Dynatrace as well if I had the choice. Microsoft Azure Monitor…
Learn what your peers think about Azure Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
William Scheuernstuhl
Senior System Administrator at BCBS of Kansas City
Good and stable for collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

We're using Azure Monitor end connection as a hybrid model where it's integrated into Dynatrace. Azure Monitor monitors the infrastructure of Azure within our cloud environment. It doesn't give you any explanations or anything like that. It's just metrics, just data. We've integrated this data into Dynatrace so that the Dynatrace system and AI can give accurate response times, performance on metrics, and things like that.

• "Azure Monitor is really just a source for Dynatrace. It's just collecting data and monitoring the environment and the infrastructure. It is fairly good at that."
  • "There are a lot of things that take more time to do, such as charting, alerting, and correlation of data, and things like that. Azure Monitor doesn't tell you why something happened. It just tells you that it happened. It should also have some type of AI. Environments and applications are becoming more and more complex every day with hundreds or thousands of microservices. Therefore, having to do a lot of the stuff manually takes a lot of time, and on top of that, troubleshooting issues takes a lot of time. The traditional method of troubleshooting doesn't really work for or apply to this environment we're in. So, having an AI-based system and the ability to automate deployments of your monitoring and configurations makes it much easier."

What other advice do I have?

There is Azure Monitor, and then there is Azure Application Insights, which is a component of Azure. Azure Application Insights does similar things as Dynatrace, but just not as good as Dynatrace. There's a lot of manual configuration for Azure Monitor and Application Insights, which isn't there with Dynatrace. I would rate Azure Monitor an eight out of ten.
AS
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good monitoring of infrastructure and applications. The capacity reservations is a great way to cut costs by up to 25% compared to USE-BASED PAYMENT.

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting and software development firm and we have a lot of experience with Cloud solutions. In 2019 we start our Solutions in Microsoft Azure. The Azure Monitor is one of the products that we used for our solutions and client tools to monitor the relevant infrastructur, applications and problems. Azure Monitor is a usefull tool to have a dashboard with all metrics information over all using enviroments.

• "We like this searchability and availability of the data."
  • "The price could be lower but it is not a must."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Azure Monitor is to look for the tutorial before starting. Then, to install and set up the monitor, use the wizards. The combination will help you to find the best ways to use the tools. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
ATHANASSIOS FAMELIARIS
S/W Technologies & Processes Unit Manager at Unisystems
Extremely reliable with good load and metrics gathering and very good analysis

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution is application monitoring using the Insights app. We have about five specialists in our operations team and we also have an application management team of around 10 people. There are plans to increase usage but that's something that is driven by the customers that we provide our services to. We partner with Azure Monitor and I work as a SW technologist and process unit manager in the company.

• "Good load and metrics gathering and very good analysis."
  • "Automation related to gathering metrics from more applications could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good enough product for anyone wanting something that might not be top of the range but it does the work easily, is simple to configure and is a fair price. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
OA
Partner / Consultant at procomix
Reseller
Monitors all of our clients' environments and helps them with technical issues

What is our primary use case?

We are an operation center so we use this solution mainly to monitor all of our clients' environments and to help them with technical issues. So it's mainly promoting clients' environments, technical issues, and being proactive.

• "I am impressed by the reporting on the average eight ports that we get from this solution."
  • "They need to work on a more hybrid deployment that will allow us to monitor local on-premise deployments and connect to different systems. I would like to see more integration."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to do design planning. I believe there is room for improvement, especially when it comes to mobile applications. That is why my rating is eight out of ten.
PR
Senior Java Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Stable but difficult to use

What is our primary use case?

I use the SaaS version. I use Azure Monitor to collect and index logs for my systems. It allows me to search through my logs and find bugs and mistakes. From there, it helps me report these mistakes. We use this solution every day. I plan on continuing to use this solution for specific parts of projects but for other portions of my projects, I plan on using DataDog or something similar.

• "Azure Monitor is very stable."
  • "In my opinion, they should improve the overall user experience, especially when it comes to indexing and searching collective logs."

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, Azure Monitor is not the best solution available on the market. My advice is to check out other solutions before you decide to implement Azure Monitor. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Azure Monitor a rating of five. The user experience needs to be improved. It takes a lot of time and organization to learn how to use it properly. It's much more difficult to use compared to other solutions.
Paul-Fijma
Technical Engineer at Asperion
Excellent at status updates and well integrated with Microsoft

What is our primary use case?

We have a financial application that needs to be working, and for our organization, it's important to be able to see the status of the overall application, which we have now. That's our primary use case for the solution.

• "The solution integrates well with the Microsoft platform."
  • "n comparison to New Relic, which I've used before, it's a bit more complicated. It's not as easy to use. It also took some time to get it working. The implementation needs to be simpler."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are using all deployment models: public cloud, private, hybrid, and on-premises. Since we already have Azure, they deliver the monitoring solution as part of our environment. Azure is more integrated into the infrastructure than New Relic was. You can use infrastructure components versus the analytics tool, which is a separate component that you can use for multiple things in different ways. Currently, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. It's working very well. It does exactly what I expect it to do. I think it's a good solution. It's very well supported by Microsoft.
See 4 more Azure Monitor Reviews
Download our free Azure Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.