Azure Network Watcher OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Network Watcher is the #45 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to Nmap: Azure Network Watcher vs Nmap

What is Azure Network Watcher?

Azure Network Watcher provides tools to monitor, diagnose, view metrics, and enable or disable logs for resources in an Azure virtual network. Network Watcher is designed to monitor and repair the network health of IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) products which includes Virtual Machines, Virtual Networks, Application Gateways, Load balancers, etc. Note: It is not intended for and will not work for PaaS monitoring or Web analytics.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Azure Network Watcher Video

Azure Network Watcher Reviews

Youssef Samir
Cloud Solution Architect at KlayyTech
Stable and provides good visibility, but the setup is complex, and graphs should be more granular

• "It provides good visibility."
  • "The initial setup and deployment could be improved to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for traffic monitoring. For example, when you want to see requests or inspect packets within your cloud network, to see how the traffic is flowing, or how the traffic and the packets are being transmitted from one host to another, and from one source or resource to another.

How has it helped my organization?

To connect a virtual machine or if you want to monitor the communication between a VM and certain endpoints, we have to specify the endpoints to fully qualify the domain name. It determines how the traffic is flowing.

At the end of the day, it should show you this map or graph resource about your current setup, on how traffic is flowing within your network or your environment.

This will help the company or the administrator, by helping them see how the traffic moves, to make sure that no entities are having any communication issues or different endpoints with task issues. It can help them also spot which endpoints should not be communicating to others. This is the value of the Network Watcher.

What is most valuable?

I like that it delivers. It does the job.

It provides good visibility.

What needs improvement?

I don't find it that appealing.

It's not the most friendly or straightforward to set up. For me, it's not that appealing that I want to go ahead and set it up each time.

I don't see the value versus the way you have to set it up at first.

The initial setup and deployment could be improved to be simplified.

From my perspective, this is something that should be out of the box, available, and given. I don't see why there is a need to set it up.

The experience should be there, the servers or the insights, they should be readily available out of the box, once you start setting up your environment on Azure.

The setup is a huge part of what needs to be better, as well as the view, or the graph could be improved. Microsoft has the capability to enrich it and to make it look more granular.

I would like to see a graph with simple diagrams and richer information.

I have used it or known about it for between four and five years. I rarely use it, but I know it pretty well.

Azure itself is pretty stable, but It depends on the different resources on Azure. For example, if the resources on Azure are not stable, then it would become unstable as well.

It's not a server that scales in a way that, when the traffic comes or there is heavy traffic or loads, it scales. You just monitor the traffic within your environment. I don't see how scalability applies.

I have not had to contact technical support regarding Network Watcher.

It's not that is complex, however, for the sake of what it does, yes, I would say it's complex.

It could be a lot easier. It could be a much simpler experience, especially when you can set up a whole infrastructure with a couple of clicks. I don't see why you have to perform so many steps or very specific steps with Network Watcher.

I don't remember the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure Network Watcher a six out of ten.

EE
Sr IT Engineer / Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
A good solution that is stable and makes it easy to view logs

What is our primary use case?

Network Watcher allows you to see the logs to see what's going in and what's going out. You have got to set it up to see that, however, I haven't played much with it. That's why I was looking for something more granular, something that I'm more used to, like the FortiGate Firewall.

What is most valuable?

I've used it to get some logs and see what's going on to the network, however, that's about it. The solution is stable. Overall, the solution seems to be pretty good.

What needs improvement?

Azure is good, however, the Fortinet GUI is more intuitive and I like it more than anything else.

I've used the solution for maybe a year or so. I haven't used it for that long just yet.

What do I think about the

The solution is stable.

Overall, the solution seems to be pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I also use Fortinet products.

I cannot recall what the initial setup was like. I cannot speak to how easy or difficult it was.

I'm currently looking at FortiGate Firewall, which I have a better understanding of and is much more granular.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure