Azure Site Recovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Site Recovery is #3 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery as a Service providers. IT Central Station users give Azure Site Recovery an average rating of 8 out of 10. Azure Site Recovery is most commonly compared to CloudEndure Disaster Recovery:Azure Site Recovery vs CloudEndure Disaster Recovery. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Azure Site Recovery?

Help your business to keep doing business - even during major IT outages. Azure Site Recovery offers ease of deployment, cost effectiveness, and dependability. Deploy replication, failover, and recovery processes through Site Recovery to help keep your applications running during planned and unplanned outages. Site Recovery is a native disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS), and Microsoft been recognized as a leader in DRaaS based on completeness of vision and ability to execute by Gartner in the 2018 Magic Quadrant for Disaster Recovery as a Service.

Download the Disaster Recovery as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Azure Site Recovery Customers

Russell Reynolds Associates, Union Insurance, Rackspace

Azure Site Recovery Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Site Recovery pricing:
  • "It should have more straightforward billing. The billing was what got funky. It was really cheap. We would pay based on the usage. We paid around $225 a month for site-to-site replication."

Azure Site Recovery Reviews

VP
Sr. Sales Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides a seamlessly integrated recovery option for small to medium size enterprise companies

• "They're moving a lot of their workload to cloud and aiming for a seamlessly integrated product."
  • "It could include more of a backup and recovery."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case really depends on the client. The product can be used by insurance companies, hospitals, healthcare professionals. We mainly use the product for backup and disaster recovery and it's suitable for small and medium enterprise companies.
It's used occasionally, not on a daily basis. We are in partnership with Microsoft and I work as a senior sales solution architect.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is failure restores.

What needs improvement?

Improvement could be made on the pricing model. It could be brought in line with the competitive ranges in the market

Additional features could include more of a backup and recovery. We'd like to see the AIX operating system added into it. It's more virtual right now.

I've been using the product for the last two or three years.

Stability really depends on the situation, sometimes it's better and other times it's worse. It's generally fine.

Scalability is good in this solution.

The initial setup depends on the kind of control infrastructure that the clients have and that determines whether the setup is simple or complex. Azure doesn't have its own hardware for on-prem which makes it more complex for the reseller or as a solution for companies like us,  because we have to go and talk to different vendors for hardware. It means you then have to go and  buy the licenses or OS for everything and it becomes complex for someone who is selling it to the customer because there are several elements that need to be taken into consideration. We provide installation services and that can take a week or two.

There are different components in pricing and for each and every component you have to check the box and you have to look for options - check if they have a front end or back end kind of licensing, those are different types of licensing that can possibly be made simpler and probably cheaper.

We looked at Dell EMC but I think we went with Site Recovery because it fits better with cloud and they're moving a lot of their workload to cloud like Azure, and want something that is seamlessly integrated. It also provides one vendor whereas with Dell you then need to go to Azure and if a problem isn't resolved then who is responsible.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
HV
Technical Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, good data recovery capabilities and very stable

• "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "When it runs, it runs well but when it doesn't run, the solution needs to make it clearer as to why and what the troubleshooting process is. All this would be possible if the error logging was streamlined a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The approach the solution takes to data recovery is very good. We can fail-over from production and the disaster recovery aspect of the solution is quite seamless. There are a few configurations that need to happen, however, once it's up it works quite well.

What needs improvement?

There have been issues with replication.

It would be helpful if error logging was handled more effectively.

I've only been using the solution for about six months. It's still quite new to me.

We haven't faced any crashes, bugs, or glitches. I would consider the solution to be quite stable.

The solution is easily scalable.

We're pushing about 40 servers into the cloud for disaster recovery using site recovery.

I can only vouch for the actual support we've gotten from Microsoft and that was very good. We have no complaints there; the support was very helpful when it came to handling the issue that we did have.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We didn't have any issues with any complexities.

We implemented in phases. In full, it took us about two or three months to deploy the solution. However, if a company is simply looking to do one or two servers, it's only going to take a couple of hours, or maybe a couple of days to go to the cloud.

I'd estimate it would take about a month, for your average environment (a small to medium-sized environment) to deploy onto Site Recovery.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner as well as a customer.

We would definitely recommend the product.

I would caution, or highlight rather, that if anyone is collecting resources they need to confirm that they're all configuring it correctly so that it doesn't generate unexpected costs because of a context that may be incorrect.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, VMware and others in Disaster Recovery as a Service. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MC
Manager, Information Technology Service Operations at Lynnco
A scalable and easy-to-deploy solution that always works and provides a snapshot of your environment in about 15 minutes

• "The most useful thing is that it provides a snapshot of your environment in about 15 minutes. It is stable, and it always works. It is also scalable and easy to set up."
  • "It is for site-to-site replication. When something goes wrong on your site, you only get 15 minutes before it also goes wrong on your replicated site. There should be some way to be able to say that we want to restore it, but we want to restore it to the version from yesterday. It should support versioning. I would also like to see real-time scanning for advanced threat protection, more straightforward billing, and quicker turnaround on the tech support."

What is our primary use case?

We back up our site to it and use it for a VR. We are using the most up to date version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most useful thing is that it provides a snapshot of your environment in about 15 minutes.

It is stable, and it always works. It is also scalable and easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

It is for site-to-site replication. When something goes wrong on your site, you only get 15 minutes before it also goes wrong on your replicated site. There should be some way to be able to say that we want to restore it, but we want to restore it to the version from yesterday. It should support versioning.

I would also like to see real-time scanning for advanced threat protection, more straightforward billing, and quicker turnaround on the tech support.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It always works.

It is scalable. Currently, we have only one user who uses it.

I don't work with tech support, but they can have a quicker turnaround on the tech support.

It was pretty straightforward. It was just installing the clients and setting up your site recovery. You can also use the documentation.

Our network or systems engineer maintains it.

It should have more straightforward billing. The billing was what got funky. It was really cheap. We would pay based on the usage. We paid around $225 a month for site-to-site replication.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice that I could give is to just research what Azure Site Recovery is for. It is not a backup solution. So, even though you have enabled Site Recovery, you still need backups.

I would rate Azure Site Recovery a nine out of ten.

AF
Portfolio Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up but it needs better block-level recovery

• "It is a very stable product and very scalable."
  • "We need to be able to move the virtual servers and not build and then port them across. They need to improve the hypervisor."

What is most valuable?

We haven't really found any of the features to be valuable. It's around five years behind other market leaders. We prefer to use VMware products for site recovery software.

What needs improvement?

We need to be able to move the virtual servers and not build and then port them across. They need to improve the hypervisor.

I have been using Site Recovery since 2015.

It is a very stable product and very scalable. If you've got existing technology it is very very difficult to move across.

I would rate their technical support as six out of ten.

We use VMware Site Recovery Manager.

The initial setup is fairly easy. It's feature-diluted. It's quite easy to set up. You do need support from Microsoft though if you're going to get the most out of it. Their support isn't so good. We prefer to use our partners. We've gotten little support and little help from them. They're not as knowledgeable as our own partners.

We've invested nearly 20 million pounds in Azure and it's been an absolute disaster for us.

We've got three full-time administrators, which is quite high. That supports 10,000 people but we are 95% of our services actually in VMware.

What other advice do I have?

In the next release, I would like to see better block-level recovery. It is key. Bare metal recovery and block-level recovery.

I would rate Azure Site Recovery a four out of ten. If you start from scratch, it's fine.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Disaster Recovery as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, VMware, and more!