Azure Stream Analytics Overview

Azure Stream Analytics is the #5 ranked solution in our list of Streaming Analytics tools. It is most often compared to Databricks: Azure Stream Analytics vs Databricks

What is Azure Stream Analytics?
AzureStream Analytics is a fully managed event-processing engine that lets you set up real-time analytic computations on streaming data.The data can come from devices, sensors, web sites, social media feeds, applications, infrastructure systems, and more.

Azure Stream Analytics is also known as ASA.

Azure Stream Analytics Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Stream Analytics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Azure Stream Analytics Customers
Rockwell Automation, Milliman, Honeywell Building Solutions, Arcoflex Automation Solutions, Real Madrid C.F., Aerocrine, Ziosk, Tacoma Public Schools, P97 Networks
Azure Stream Analytics Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Stream Analytics pricing:
  • "The cost of this solution is less than competitors such as Amazon or Google Cloud."

Azure Stream Analytics Reviews

Alwin George Daniel
Senior Project Engineer at Wipro Limited
Sep 25, 2020
Effective Blob storage and the IoT hub save us a lot of time, and the support is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We have different kinds of IoT devices placed in different countries including the UK, US, and others. They are configured with our IoT hub and we get the logs from them accordingly. We have these logs connected with the Stream Analytics suites and Microsoft Power BI. Whatever updates and other activity is happening on the devices are streamed into Azure and Power BI so that we can see them. If we find any error messages then we have to check the health of the corresponding IoT devices, databases, and configuration.

• "The most valuable features are the IoT hub and the Blob storage."
  • "There may be some issues when connecting with Microsoft Power BI because we are providing the input and output commands, and there's a chance of it being delayed while connecting."

What other advice do I have?

Azure Stream Analytics is something that we were able to easily learn. It doesn't take much programming sill, so I feel that it is easy to start using. Other than the problem with delays in connecting to Microsoft BI, Kibana, or other monitoring tools, I don't have any other issues with this product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Artur Filippov
BI Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Sep 24, 2020
Great integration with other Azure resources, is simple, and has been a great time-saver for us

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mainly to ingest real time data streams into permanent storage places like databases, block storage, etc.

• "Provides deep integration with other Azure resources."
  • "If something goes wrong, it's very hard to investigate what caused it and why."

What other advice do I have?

My simple advice would be to not scale up initially. Also, if you have questions don't just rely on the official documentation, but use other resources such as a blog by a developer, because sometimes that can be more helpful than documentation provided by the company. The best advice I can offer would be that if there is a simple solution available, do not try to complicate things. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Databricks, Apache and others in Streaming Analytics. Updated: December 2020.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Yasmina Ali
Collaboration Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 13, 2020
It is good for real-time analytics, but requires some development skills

What is our primary use case?

I used it once for a project demo to a customer for an IoT solution. In this demo, the data was collected from the sensors, and it was sent to Power BI reports. The collected data was analyzed by using the analytics tools to get some insights. This project was the first project for our company to start the development of IoT solutions. We have only used it for a demo, and we have kept it for demo for other customers. If any customer wants to deploy it, we would use it in production.

• "Real-time analytics is the most valuable feature of this solution. I can send the collected data to Power BI in real time."
  • "It is not complex, but it requires some development skills. When the data is sent from Azure Stream Analytics to Power BI, I don't have the access to modify the data. I can't customize or edit the data or do some queries. All queries need to be done in the Azure Stream Analytics."

What other advice do I have?

If you want to deploy IoT services, this solution will be very helpful for real-time applications and for collecting data. I would rate Azure Stream Analytics a seven out of ten.