Bacula Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Bacula Enterprise is the #41 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Bacula Enterprise vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Bacula Enterprise?
Bacula Enterprise Edition is a set of subscription-based enterprise data backup solutions which empower data centers to truly escape data volume price traps. High numbers of enterprise organizations worldwide (incl. NASA, Bank of Austria, Swisscom or Sky PLC) have adopted Bacula Enterprise backup software in mission critical environments because of its advanced features and ability to handle high data volume at very low cost.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Bacula Enterprise Customers
NASA, SwissCom, Bank Austria, SdV Plurimedia, Leibniz University Hannover, Polfa Warszawa S.A., premaccess, NetLog, Swisscom Corporate Business, LocaWeb, wbsGo
Bacula Enterprise Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Bacula Enterprise pricing:
  • "This is an open-source solution."

Bacula Enterprise Reviews

CD
ICT Manager at Land Srl
Easy to use, stable, and offers many tools and features

• "It works great and it provides you with several standard tools to restore your backup, even after a big failure."
  • "Easier setup and configuration, perhaps including a GUI, would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We have three central servers, each one backing up the machines on their respective site. We have a combination of servers and other storage devices.

It is a standard backup solution where we have an incremental backup every night. We do a differential backup on Sundays and then a full backup on a monthly basis. We also do a restore task once a month to verify the backup.

How has it helped my organization?

A few years ago, we had a big crash that involved one of the backup servers. We were able to fully restore the backup, even after losing the indexes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ease of use. It works great and it provides you with several standard tools to restore your backup, even after a big failure.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs to be easier for adding new devices to be managed. It is easy for a skilled person to use, but for others who are not as skilled from a technical perspective, it is not as easy to manage. It is not the type of solution where you can just keep clicking on the Next button.

The file deduplication capability needs to be improved.

I have been using Barracuda Backup for more than 12 years.

We have not had any issues with the stability of Barracuda Backup.

We have been able to cover all of our use cases. I would say that it is suitable for small and medium-sized companies.

We have never had a need to contact technical support.

The initial setup is not difficult for a technical person. Our deployment took a couple of days.

Our internal team maintains this solution.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to take your time and have patience with the initial setup and configuration. Once it is set up properly, it is a good system to use. If, on the other hand, you are really eager and want to use this solution in five minutes then it is not a good system for you. Once you get through the learning phase, it is very good.

Overall, this is a good solution but there are a few small features missing. Because it is open-source, it is somewhat slower to follow the standards set by similar commercial products.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

JC
Director tecnico at Blemia
A stable solution that works well with Linux servers

• "Bacula is pretty stable."
  • "Bacula needs a graphical user interface because, for administrators, the command-line interface is okay, but for the average user it is not very easy."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the backup products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for Linux servers.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and site configuration should be easier.

I began working with Bacula Enterprise about five years ago.

Bacula is pretty stable.

I have not had any problems, so I have not needed to contact technical support.

I have experience with different backup and recovery solutions. I have used Veeam as well as BorgBackup.

The initial setup is very complex. It can be deployed in a few hours, although it will take about a month for testing and fine-tuning.

One of our customers recently implemented a virtualized environment with VMware and consequently migrated away from Bacula to Veeam. It was not a question of being satisfied with Bacula; rather, they were interested in moving to a newer platform.

They had been in an environment with physical servers and tape backups and with the move to virtualization, Veeam was more useful for them.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Bacula Enterprise depends on the environment and user requirements. In general, I recommend it.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Bacula Systems, Veeam Software, Acronis, and more!