Barracuda Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Backup is #6 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software and #21 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. IT Central Station users give Barracuda Backup an average rating of 8 out of 10. Barracuda Backup is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication:Barracuda Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Barracuda Backup?

Barracuda Backup is designed from the ground up for the cloud-integrated systems. It gives you the flexibility to easily back up data wherever it resides - on premises or in the cloud - and to replicate the data to our secure cloud or to a private location of your choice. Simple to configure and manage, and totally automated.

Barracuda Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Barracuda Backup Customers

Dematic, Levitt Safety, Osoyoos Credit Union, Viborel Distribuiao, European Tour, Papergraphics, Levitt Safety, Academy of Contemporary Music, Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton, LLP, National History Museum, California Almond Board, American Radio Relay League, Kirkpatrick Bank, IAC, Healey Brothers Automotive Group, Mechanicsburg Area School District, Taylor Shellfish Farms, Drew Marine, inMusic, Mills Law Library, Healy Brothers Automotive Group, Thomas Kinkade Company, Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Health Unit

Barracuda Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Backup pricing:
  • "All the storage is included in Barracuda, so you're just paying for the package. I think with Veeam, you pay for the package, and you pay for the storage."
  • "The price of the five-year contract was approximately three million Rupees ($42,000 USD)."
  • "The licensing is charged yearly. It's my understanding that the cost of the solution is somewhere around $7,000 every two years."
  • "It is about 6,900 or 7,000 a year. It goes up a little every year. Its price includes live updates, support, antivirus, and cloud storage. If I increase the cloud space, then the price would increase. It has been consistent for us."
  • "What I like best about Barracuda Backup is the licensing model."
  • "Normally, there is the hardware on the site. So, essentially, there is a server and storage. They can price it a little lower because the customers are making a little investment upfront. Even though it is trouble-free for the end-users, and once it is set up and running, they don't have to really think about it, there is essentially an initial investment. It is not really pricey. We're actually competitive, but we are in a different market. In Asia, customers are a little more price-sensitive than in the west. It is not really a real issue."

Barracuda Backup Reviews

JK
Microsoft 365 Konsult at Canmer Data AB
Reseller
Secure and easy to use, does everything behind the scenes, and lets you restore a particular file without having to do a full restore

• "The cloud side of it is nice. Everything happens behind the scenes without you realizing it, which is nice. It doesn't interrupt usage. There is also the freedom and ease of use of the cloud portal, which you can use to manage your backup. One of the strong points of Barracuda is that you can go from zero to having your first backup running within 10 minutes. If you have access to admin accounts and everything else, it can happen in 10 minutes. The ability to go in and just restore a particular file without having to do a full restore is also very useful. You can just go in and pick the files that you need to restore, and the same is with email. You can just go in, find an email, and restore that email without having to do a full backup of all the data or a full restore of the data. I feel very safe because it is not just about the backup; it is about the protection of the data from outside threats. They have a lot of areas of ATP, that is, advanced threat protection. You don't see that much on the backup side. You see it more on the email side. In the email protection, you know it is there at the back. It moves the quarantine emails that come through into a sandbox area, and then you can choose in the sandbox. You can open up an email in the sandbox to make sure that if there is a virus, it can't harm you. You can also plan how often your backups run, such as every six hours or four hours. It is the same with email. They also have a great PhishLine package, which is phishing attack training. You can have the strongest and the best backup and security that you can, but the end user is always the weakest link. They send almost like testing emails to end users to help them identify and understand phishing emails and prevent user or phishing attacks. It is a very good package."
  • "I am working in some of the more rural areas of Sweden, and some of the customers here are a little bit wary of cloud technology at the moment. It is not like in Gothenburg or Stockholm, where people rely on it so much more. In the rural areas, companies are saying that we do need to use the cloud, and they are being very wary about their data, especially with GDPR and all that kind of stuff. Having more control and having an option for backing up locally, even if you don't want to use it, would be something very good. The cloud backup is brilliant, but there should be an option to take that cloud backup and save it locally as well. If you lose connection to the internet or you lose access to your data in the cloud, having a backup copy of the latest data on your server is helpful. You need to be able to get access to your customers' files, especially with GDPR, where you need to know where your customers' details are. If they're in the cloud and you've lost access to them, then you'll go into those GDPR regulations. This is somewhere where both Barracuda and Veeam haven't gone as far. As far as I have understood, with Veeam, you can back up your local servers to the cloud but not vice versa. I haven't worked on it much."

What is our primary use case?

I have done the Barracuda Essentials training on the delivery side and the technical side. I am involved in the setup of it. I have worked on a couple of installs for customers, and I am using the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The cloud side of it is nice. Everything happens behind the scenes without you realizing it, which is nice. It doesn't interrupt usage. There is also the freedom and ease of use of the cloud portal, which you can use to manage your backup. One of the strong points of Barracuda is that you can go from zero to having your first backup running within 10 minutes. If you have access to admin accounts and everything else, it can happen in 10 minutes.

The ability to go in and just restore a particular file without having to do a full restore is also very useful. You can just go in and pick the files that you need to restore, and the same is with email. You can just go in, find an email, and restore that email without having to do a full backup of all the data or a full restore of the data.

I feel very safe because it is not just about the backup; it is about the protection of the data from outside threats. They have a lot of areas of ATP, that is, advanced threat protection. You don't see that much on the backup side. You see it more on the email side. In the email protection, you know it is there at the back. It moves the quarantine emails that come through into a sandbox area, and then you can choose in the sandbox. You can open up an email in the sandbox to make sure that if there is a virus, it can't harm you. You can also plan how often your backups run, such as every six hours or four hours. It is the same with email.

What needs improvement?

The cloud backup is brilliant, but there should be an option to take that cloud backup and save it locally as well. If you lose connection to the internet or you lose access to your data in the cloud, having a backup copy of the latest data on your server is helpful. You need to be able to get access to your customers' files, especially with GDPR, where you need to know where your customers' details are. If they're in the cloud and you've lost access to them, then you'll go into those GDPR regulations. This is somewhere where both Barracuda and Veeam haven't gone as far. As far as I have understood, with Veeam, you can back up your local servers to the cloud but not vice versa. I haven't worked on it much.

I have been working with this solution for about six months.

It is stable. They provide great support. They have ways to back up your local servers to the cloud, etc. If any of their hardware has a failure, they send a new one within 24 hours to make sure that you don't have a backup loss. You will have a new one within 24 hours.

A strong point of Barracuda is that it auto-scales. You don't need to worry about scaling.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes 10 minutes. One of the strong points of Barracuda is that you can go from zero to having your first backup running within 10 minutes. If you have access to admin accounts and everything else, it can happen in 10 minutes.

All the storage is included in Barracuda, so you're just paying for the package. I think with Veeam, you pay for the package, and you pay for the storage.

When I was looking at Veeam, it had its own strengths. How they back up data is different, but they also have a very strong package.

What other advice do I have?

I work with end users a lot, and I think that any solution that is easiest for the end users to use is a winner, and Barracuda fulfills that. If a solution gets too technical, then people might get confused.

I would rate Barracuda Backup a nine out of ten.

VB
IT Manager at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Live Boot is helpful for quick recovery, but it should work without the need for a secondary server

• "Whenever you have a crash or your service is not working, you can just live-boot the machine and have your service up and running."
  • "I would like to see the Live Boot feature extended to Hyper-V machines, in addition to VMware machines."

What is our primary use case?

We have this solution set up on two pieces of equipment. The first is our main backup solution and the other one is a replication solution.

This is an on-premises deployment, with the physical equipment here in our LAN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Live Boot solution. It's a feature on the Barracuda that is very helpful for critical service. Whenever you have a crash or your service is not working, you can just live-boot the machine and have your service up and running.

The granularity of the backup is also very good. If you need to restore a single file from the backup, you don't need to retrieve the whole server or the whole folder.

What needs improvement?

It would be a big improvement if the Live Boot feature could work without the need for a secondary, standby server.

I have been using this solution for three months.

We have not had any issues in the three months that we have been running this solution, although I think that is too short a time to judge overall stability.

I think that the scalability of this solution is good because I started with AT&T V790 equipment, and I think that if I wanted to upgrade the storage space then it would not be difficult.

We have three people who use this solution. I am the manager, we have an HR person who is able to see whether their backup has been done or not, and we have the person responsible for the checking the backup when I am not in the office.

I haven't any opportunity myself to contact support. That's for the team that did the setup. In fact, when I heard them talking to the support guy, I think they were people from India who provide support. They keep you waiting and then they don't come up with a real solution. You need to call them back continuously to be able to get the solution. Conversely, I think the guys from the European team, perhaps Dell, are quite straight forward and they provide you solution very quickly.

Prior to this solution, we were using Veeam backup. We had a few issues with them in terms of scalability, so we were unable to continue using Veeam. This is the main reason we switched to Barracuda.

In my situation, it was quite complex because we had old servers fully updated recently. We had some issues in setting this up, as we had some conversions to do for the virtual machine. I don't really think that Barracuda is especially difficult to deploy, but given the situation in which we were here, at my premises, I think it was quite natural that we had some difficulties into setting it up.

In general, I don't think it would be difficult to set up.

The deployment took around a month. Our strategy was to convert and upgrade the servers to a level which they were compatible with the Barracuda solution. We had some conversions to do because we had some Hyper-V machines and some VM machines, and we needed to convert to VMware VMs. Once we set it up, we started the backup and we tested the rest on all other servers.

We purchased the solution through a local reseller. It was a great team, given the complex situation that we had here. Our servers were not updated for a long time, including one that was Windows 2003, which is very difficult to backup using this solution. Overall, they did a great job here.

We bought a five-year package, as opposed to paying a yearly licensing fee. The price of the five-year contract was approximately three million Rupees ($42,000 USD).

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that it is adapted to all of the current hardware that you have. Prepare yourself to upgrade the solution, if needed, for at least five years.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is not to underestimate the complexity of the implementation. The sellers suggest that it is easy, but you need to adapt it to your own environment.

This is a good solution, but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Antero Vasconcelos
CTO at Truenet
Reseller
Archives the backup of emails and has excellent support

• "The most important feature in Barracuda Backup is the ability to archive the backup of emails."
  • "I would like to see a way to increase space."

What is our primary use case?

I provide two versions of Barracuda Backup systems. The Barracuda Backup in up lines version 6.5. And Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup for Office 365. For Barracuda Backup systems on up lines, it's to do the backups for servers, laptops, and computers. They can use the up lines with Cloud application. For customers that are already on Office 365, they only have the opportunity to use the Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup. It only exists in the cloud. Barracuda Backup and Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup is for doing backups of data that has been backed up already at Office 365. With that solution, We provide an additional level of security in the Office 365 suite. Adding archiving and backup for groups from the teams. Backup for SharePoint, backup for OneDrive and backup emails. With Barracuda Cloud, the cloud backups are an additional layer that we can put.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think we can leverage more on backing up or collecting some data for all of the features that Office 365 gives us. Currently, they are doing the backup of Teams. They could also add the backup for the planner. For the Barracuda Backup system, they could at least have a chance to provide the backup for laptops and computers to the cloud. I would like to see a way to increase space. That is one of two questions that we get from customers, "And what happened if I need to increase space?" I would rate Barracuda Backup at a nine on a scale of ten.

I have used Barracuda Backup for a year and a half.

Barracuda Backup  is fairly stable. I like it.

I think scalability is the big gap. When you go to the Barracuda Backup systems as an up line, you buy a backup system for four terabytes of information. And if you want to add more, you only have one chance to buy another one. There is no way to increase space. Of course, Barracuda gives us a huge discount if we are doing some upgrade, but in the end, you need to buy another one.

Barracuda technical support is one of the best. First place is Extreme Network, and then Barracuda.

The setup of Barracuda Backup is very simple. Four to five hours is enough to do the deployment and configure lots of servers. We had six people involved in the deployment. We have two people who do only deployment, two who do deployment and support and two who do only support.

We perform deployments for Barracuda so our team implemented it.

Barracuda Backup systems, you can buy it on a monthly basis, but normally the customers want it every year. So, there are only four licenses for the updates for our software. They send a replacement, which is the support for maintenance on the disks. And there is another license that is on the cloud application. so we have our up lines, and we can add another level of security instead of having another up line. For a disaster recovery site, we can upload it to the Barracuda cloud and that's unlimited. There is no way to upgrade the license. Barracuda is a simple way of life. You license the box. No per-user license, no per-byte license, it's only one license for the box. You buy the product, you license the box. You do a cloud application, you license the box. There is no per-user license. Even for the backup for the cloud solution. Even for the additional firewall, all the licensing is to the box. It is a simple way of licensing. If you have only the box and you want VPN backup, you need a different license. But it's a license for the box, not a license for 10 VPN users. Not a license for IPS. It's not user-based.

What other advice do I have?

Trust Barracuda, at least give them a try, because unfortunately, they're not very known. At least give a try because it's a simple way of working. The support is excellent. And it is a very stable product.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
GS
Owner at Avantius Technologies
Easy initial setup with a good user interface and simple to configure

• "The configuration and the onboarding process are pretty good."
  • "The backup feature could be a bit simpler to utilize. They should make the process of backing up individual files simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to back up our services from Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable aspects of the solution is the fact that we can go very granular on the backup and everything is from the outside. We don't need to make a rework of the backup server. If I want to restore a file I can go to the file without going through all of these other items.

The user interface is pretty good.

The configuration and the onboarding process are pretty good.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be a bit better.

The solution should have the ability to back up other devices, such as mobile phones or tablets.

I've been using the solution for 20 years. It's been a long time.

The stability of the solution is very good. They have many models. in the end, we only choose four terabytes as it was enough for our servers. We haven't had any trouble at all with it so far. It's very reliable.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. The solution is quite flexible in sizing. A company should have issues if they need to expand it.

We are only using the product on approximately 15 servers.

If we need to open up a case, we're comfortable with doing so. The average time to respond is 24 hours, therefore, their response is pretty quick. If we have some working problem, our server will solve it.

They also have quite a bit of documentation that can help you troubleshoot or understand the solution a little better.

Generally, if we have issues, we can go to the reseller to get immediate attention as well.

Overall, in general, when we open a ticket we receive a response in 24 hours or less. We're satisfied with how they handle their support services.

We didn't previously use another solution. The way we handled backups before was to manually do it ourselves.

The initial setup is not a complex process. It's very, very straightforward.

The first time we did a deployment, it only took about 45 minutes. The second time, when we had to take into account all of the backup jobs, it took about a week.

You only really need one person to handle deployment and maintenance. It doesn't take a large amount of staff.

We used a reseller. They assisted in the initial implementation. We worked fine together and we didn't have any problems. We were satisfied with the level of service they provided our company.

I don't recall if there are any other costs over and above the standard license.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We use the product. We're not resellers or consultants.

I'd advise those considering implementing the solution to first find someone who knows the appliance. Sometimes you can get lost in all of the functionality they have. It's very important to have at least one person who understands the solution pretty well if the company has plans to use Barracuda.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We've mostly been pretty happy with the product.

NB
Director of IT at a government with 51-200 employees
Good compression, stable, intuitive, and easy to use for restoring files

• "Its interface is intuitive, and it is easy to use when I am restoring files. Barracuda does a really excellent job at compression, which makes it very efficient. Eight years later, I am only halfway through to the capacity, which is very good."
  • "The restore time can be improved. The restore time for large quantities of folders is slow. Sometimes, if I'm doing a full recovery of a server, it takes multiple hours, which probably is natural. It might also be because of our internet speed to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it just for daily backups of our files. We have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It does what it is supposed to do, which is restore old files. That's its main purpose, and that's how we use it. If someone deleted something or some files are missing, they can be easily restored.

What is most valuable?

Its interface is intuitive, and it is easy to use when I am restoring files.

Barracuda does a really excellent job at compression, which makes it very efficient. Eight years later, I am only halfway through to the capacity, which is very good.

What needs improvement?

The restore time can be improved. The restore time for large quantities of folders is slow. Sometimes, if I'm doing a full recovery of a server, it takes multiple hours, which probably is natural. It might also be because of our internet speed to the cloud.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It has been running for eight years, so I'm happy with it.

Barracuda has a defined upgrade path, so scalability is there. We are a small company with about 40 people. We have just two people, myself and someone from the IT support, who use it when a user needs to recover a file. We also handle its maintenance and checkup.

Its usage is average. We sized the number of hard drives eight years ago, and we are at about 50%. It was the right size for the future. We're nowhere near maxing it out, so I would say we're in good shape. We currently don't have any need to increase its usage.

We called them once, and they were very cooperative. They have good support.

We were a lot smaller back then, and we had an on-premise tape backup. It was probably Iomega. We switched because of the cloud. It was just about streamlining and taking away a lot of pain points. Barracuda Backup is really easy in terms of maintenance, and I don't have to worry about changing tapes. It took a lot of the in-house burden away. It is almost like you set it and then forget it, whereas back then, you had to make sure that tapes are fine, and sometimes, tapes would fail.

We had a consultant to do it. Our experience with the consultant was positive. They had it working in a day or two.

We were in a jam one or two times, and we were happy that the backups were working. It is like insurance. You hope you never use it, but you have to buy it. The whole idea is that you back up your system and hope that you never have to restore it, but we did, and it came through. It did what it was designed to do. We have definitely got the return on investment. There was no loss of time or loss of files.

It is about 6,900 or 7,000 a year. It goes up a little every year. Its price includes live updates, support, antivirus, and cloud storage. If I increase the cloud space, then the price would increase. It has been consistent for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Barracuda Backup a nine out of ten. It does what it is supposed to do, and it does it very efficiently. I would give them high grades for the compression.

RT
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, user-friendly, supports inline deduplication, and has a good licensing model

• "The performance is good and the interface is user-friendly."
  • "I would like to see better integration with third-party applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Barracuda Backup is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is primarily used for backing up data from the client's on-premises equipment to the cloud. It is a hybrid model.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about Barracuda Backup is the licensing model. It is not based on the number of nodes that you are backing up.

Inline deduplication is a valuable feature in this product. Not every backup solution has it.

All of the backups from the geographically diverse nodes are available from a central location.

The performance is good and the interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Scalability-wise, there is room for improvement.

I would like to see better integration with third-party applications.

We have been partners with Barracuda for between three and four years.

This product performs well and we have hardly had any problems with respect to stability in three years' time.

It is an appliance-based model, so it is not as easy to scale.

We have multiple clients who use this product. I think it is ideal for the smaller to medium-sized businesses.

The technical support is really good. We deal with the support team in India and we have found them to be very helpful, providing very valuable answers.

I have worked with similar products from other vendors and I think that Barracuda is easy to deploy and easy to manage, compared to some other products. The technical support is also very useful.

In terms of what they offer, backup solutions by different vendors are somewhat similar in functionality.

Barracuda Backup is very easy to set up and one individual can do it. If it is planned properly then you can be up and running in two hours.

We handle the deployment for our customers.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing Barracuda Backup is to take time to plan how it is going to be set up. Specifically, consider the connectivity with the backup client nodes. If it is done properly then you will have a minimum deployment time. If on the other hand, you have issues with connectivity, then it will add to your deployment time.

In summary, this is a good product and we plan to continue recommending it to our clients.

Hybrid Cloud
CJ
Co-Owner at xtreme works inc
Trouble-free, very reliable, and easy to install

• "It is very reliable, so we don't have any issues with it. Our customers have never raised any issue with it. Basically, once you set it up and it is running, it is trouble-free. Our customers are happy. They just got a renewal for the subscription for the service."
  • "It would be nice to have some reports generated on the usage, but it is not essential."

What is most valuable?

It is very reliable, so we don't have any issues with it. Our customers have never raised any issue with it. Basically, once you set it up and it is running, it is trouble-free. Our customers are happy. They just got a renewal for the subscription for the service.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have some reports generated on the usage of the system such as detailed backup statistics, but it is not essential.

I have been using this solution for about two or three years.

Our customers have never raised any issues.

We are a reseller, and we are a partner from the support standpoint. We actually don't have any issues. We never had to call their support.

They are very responsive if there is ever a problem. Because it is a service, customers directly deal with Barracuda. The only time we get involved is when there is a local problem with the hardware. Everything else is handled directly by Barracuda. They provide a very good service.

It is very easy. When we had our first installation, it was the first time for our team to set it up. They just went in there and followed the instructions, and it was running.

It is not really pricey. We're actually competitive, but we are in a different market. In Asia, customers are a little more price-sensitive than in the west. It is not really a real issue.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it because it has been trouble-free for us.

I would rate Barracuda Backup a nine out of 10. I don't have any experience with a competing product, so my assessment would be biased.

JL
General Manager at Antea Consulting
Very stable, easy to install, and scalable

• "It is very stable, and I'm very happy with this solution."
  • "Their technical support is not very good. You never know what they are doing and what is the issue. Customers need to know what is happening. This is our main concern and the only thing that can be improved in this solution. I would like to have more visibility about what is going on when something happens. I need to know what was done to solve the issue."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to provide backup for OneDrive. We have on-premises and cloud deployments.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable, and I'm very happy with this solution.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support is not very good. You never know what they are doing and what is the issue. Customers need to know what is happening. This is our main concern and the only thing that can be improved in this solution. I would like to have more visibility about what is going on when something happens. I need to know what was done to solve the issue.

I have been using Barracuda Backup for five years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We have one customer with something like 2,000 users, and then we have another customer with around 1,500 users.

That's the only aspect that is not good. Their technical support is not very good. You never know what they are doing.

It was very easy to install without any trouble. For deployment, you need only one person. The cloud-to-cloud installation was easy. It is Linux, so it took a bit more time to refine the policies and rules. The on-premises deployment takes something like half an hour to one hour. It also depends on the number of rules and users.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Barracuda Backup an eight out of ten.

Download our free Barracuda Backup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.