Barracuda Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Backup is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Barracuda Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Barracuda Backup?

Barracuda Backup is designed from the ground up for the cloud-integrated systems. It gives you the flexibility to easily back up data wherever it resides - on premises or in the cloud - and to replicate the data to our secure cloud or to a private location of your choice. Simple to configure and manage, and totally automated.

Barracuda Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Barracuda Backup Customers

Dematic, Levitt Safety, Osoyoos Credit Union, Viborel Distribuiao, European Tour, Papergraphics, Levitt Safety, Academy of Contemporary Music, Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton, LLP, National History Museum, California Almond Board, American Radio Relay League, Kirkpatrick Bank, IAC, Healey Brothers Automotive Group, Mechanicsburg Area School District, Taylor Shellfish Farms, Drew Marine, inMusic, Mills Law Library, Healy Brothers Automotive Group, Thomas Kinkade Company, Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Health Unit

Barracuda Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Backup pricing:
  • "You don't need to buy an extra license or agent. With one box, you have licenses for any amount of devices that you want to backed up for whatever is backed up."
  • "You have two options, which we have. We pay for it bi-monthly. Then, you can purchase the project hours and support annually."
  • "All the storage is included in Barracuda, so you're just paying for the package. I think with Veeam, you pay for the package, and you pay for the storage."
  • "The price of the five-year contract was approximately three million Rupees ($42,000 USD)."
  • "The licensing is charged yearly. It's my understanding that the cost of the solution is somewhere around $7,000 every two years."
  • "It is about 6,900 or 7,000 a year. It goes up a little every year. Its price includes live updates, support, antivirus, and cloud storage. If I increase the cloud space, then the price would increase. It has been consistent for us."
  • "What I like best about Barracuda Backup is the licensing model."
  • "Normally, there is the hardware on the site. So, essentially, there is a server and storage. They can price it a little lower because the customers are making a little investment upfront. Even though it is trouble-free for the end-users, and once it is set up and running, they don't have to really think about it, there is essentially an initial investment. It is not really pricey. We're actually competitive, but we are in a different market. In Asia, customers are a little more price-sensitive than in the west. It is not really a real issue."

Jean MauriceProsper
Chief Executive Officer at Nettobe Group
Quick deployment: Plug it in and be protected.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for disaster recovery to back up the infrastructure, e.g., ESX backup. If there are any problems, We can restore quickly or live Boot the most important VMs and get back working in a very short period. We have deployed an appliance in house (on premise), which backup our local servers. We have virtual servers running on VMware ESXi. Our Backup includes backing up the VMs separately but also backing up the ESXi completely. We have a second virtual appliance running on a separate system which we use as our secondary backup platform. We also have Cloud replication which is… more »

• "They are the best support that we have had so far. When you contact or email them, they are very quick to respond. They always have someone available for us. That's what we want as a customer, we want someone to listen to us."
  • "Most important is its ease of use. You plug it in, follow the steps, and you have your backup file."
  • "We cannot backup Sun Micro systems. They are not currently supported."
  • "When we manage the box physically, we don't have as much control as we do when we manage from the cloud. The best management is from the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

Barracuda Backup is a solid contender when we are choosing a working Backup / disaster recovery solution. The features, support and ease of use makes it a very good return on investment. The IR subscription allows us to get a new updated unit every 4 years, lowering down the cost for re-investing in new units. When looking for a backup solution, we MUST consider the restore part ! Barracuda has been the one that provided q quicker and most reliable restore path and time.
JK
Microsoft 365 Konsult at Canmer Data AB
Reseller
Secure and easy to use, does everything behind the scenes, and lets you restore a particular file without having to do a full restore

What is our primary use case?

I have done the Barracuda Essentials training on the delivery side and the technical side. I am involved in the setup of it. I have worked on a couple of installs for customers, and I am using the latest version of this solution.

• "The cloud side of it is nice. Everything happens behind the scenes without you realizing it, which is nice. It doesn't interrupt usage. There is also the freedom and ease of use of the cloud portal, which you can use to manage your backup. One of the strong points of Barracuda is that you can go from zero to having your first backup running within 10 minutes. If you have access to admin accounts and everything else, it can happen in 10 minutes. The ability to go in and just restore a particular file without having to do a full restore is also very useful. You can just go in and pick the files that you need to restore, and the same is with email. You can just go in, find an email, and restore that email without having to do a full backup of all the data or a full restore of the data. I feel very safe because it is not just about the backup; it is about the protection of the data from outside threats. They have a lot of areas of ATP, that is, advanced threat protection. You don't see that much on the backup side. You see it more on the email side. In the email protection, you know it is there at the back. It moves the quarantine emails that come through into a sandbox area, and then you can choose in the sandbox. You can open up an email in the sandbox to make sure that if there is a virus, it can't harm you. You can also plan how often your backups run, such as every six hours or four hours. It is the same with email. They also have a great PhishLine package, which is phishing attack training. You can have the strongest and the best backup and security that you can, but the end user is always the weakest link. They send almost like testing emails to end users to help them identify and understand phishing emails and prevent user or phishing attacks. It is a very good package."
  • "I am working in some of the more rural areas of Sweden, and some of the customers here are a little bit wary of cloud technology at the moment. It is not like in Gothenburg or Stockholm, where people rely on it so much more. In the rural areas, companies are saying that we do need to use the cloud, and they are being very wary about their data, especially with GDPR and all that kind of stuff. Having more control and having an option for backing up locally, even if you don't want to use it, would be something very good. The cloud backup is brilliant, but there should be an option to take that cloud backup and save it locally as well. If you lose connection to the internet or you lose access to your data in the cloud, having a backup copy of the latest data on your server is helpful. You need to be able to get access to your customers' files, especially with GDPR, where you need to know where your customers' details are. If they're in the cloud and you've lost access to them, then you'll go into those GDPR regulations. This is somewhere where both Barracuda and Veeam haven't gone as far. As far as I have understood, with Veeam, you can back up your local servers to the cloud but not vice versa. I haven't worked on it much."

What other advice do I have?

I work with end users a lot, and I think that any solution that is easiest for the end users to use is a winner, and Barracuda fulfills that. If a solution gets too technical, then people might get confused. I would rate Barracuda Backup a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VB
IT Manager at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Live Boot is helpful for quick recovery, but it should work without the need for a secondary server

What is our primary use case?

We have this solution set up on two pieces of equipment. The first is our main backup solution and the other one is a replication solution. This is an on-premises deployment, with the physical equipment here in our LAN.

• "Whenever you have a crash or your service is not working, you can just live-boot the machine and have your service up and running."
  • "I would like to see the Live Boot feature extended to Hyper-V machines, in addition to VMware machines."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that it is adapted to all of the current hardware that you have. Prepare yourself to upgrade the solution, if needed, for at least five years. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is not to underestimate the complexity of the implementation. The sellers suggest that it is easy, but you need to adapt it to your own environment. This is a good solution, but there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Antero Vasconcelos
CTO at Truenet
Reseller
Archives the backup of emails and has excellent support

What is our primary use case?

I provide two versions of Barracuda Backup systems. The Barracuda Backup in up lines version 6.5. And Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup for Office 365. For Barracuda Backup systems on up lines, it's to do the backups for servers, laptops, and computers. They can use the up lines with Cloud application. For customers that are already on Office 365, they only have the opportunity to use the Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup. It only exists in the cloud. Barracuda Backup and Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup is for doing backups of data that has been backed up already at Office 365. With that solution… more »

• "The most important feature in Barracuda Backup is the ability to archive the backup of emails."
  • "I would like to see a way to increase space."

What other advice do I have?

Trust Barracuda, at least give them a try, because unfortunately, they're not very known. At least give a try because it's a simple way of working. The support is excellent. And it is a very stable product. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
GS
Owner at Avantius Technologies
Easy initial setup with a good user interface and simple to configure

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to back up our services from Hyper-V.

• "The configuration and the onboarding process are pretty good."
  • "The backup feature could be a bit simpler to utilize. They should make the process of backing up individual files simpler."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We use the product. We're not resellers or consultants. I'd advise those considering implementing the solution to first find someone who knows the appliance. Sometimes you can get lost in all of the functionality they have. It's very important to have at least one person who understands the solution pretty well if the company has plans to use Barracuda. Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We've mostly been pretty happy with the product.
NB
Director of IT at a government with 51-200 employees
Good compression, stable, intuitive, and easy to use for restoring files

What is our primary use case?

We are using it just for daily backups of our files. We have its latest version.

• "Its interface is intuitive, and it is easy to use when I am restoring files. Barracuda does a really excellent job at compression, which makes it very efficient. Eight years later, I am only halfway through to the capacity, which is very good."
  • "The restore time can be improved. The restore time for large quantities of folders is slow. Sometimes, if I'm doing a full recovery of a server, it takes multiple hours, which probably is natural. It might also be because of our internet speed to the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Barracuda Backup a nine out of ten. It does what it is supposed to do, and it does it very efficiently. I would give them high grades for the compression.
RT
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, user-friendly, supports inline deduplication, and has a good licensing model

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Barracuda Backup is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is primarily used for backing up data from the client's on-premises equipment to the cloud. It is a hybrid model.

• "The performance is good and the interface is user-friendly."
  • "I would like to see better integration with third-party applications."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing Barracuda Backup is to take time to plan how it is going to be set up. Specifically, consider the connectivity with the backup client nodes. If it is done properly then you will have a minimum deployment time. If on the other hand, you have issues with connectivity, then it will add to your deployment time. In summary, this is a good product and we plan to continue recommending it to our clients. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
CJ
Co-Owner at xtreme works inc
Trouble-free, very reliable, and easy to install

• "It is very reliable, so we don't have any issues with it. Our customers have never raised any issue with it. Basically, once you set it up and it is running, it is trouble-free. Our customers are happy. They just got a renewal for the subscription for the service."
  • "It would be nice to have some reports generated on the usage, but it is not essential."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it because it has been trouble-free for us. I would rate Barracuda Backup a nine out of 10. I don't have any experience with a competing product, so my assessment would be biased.
See 2 more Barracuda Backup Reviews
Download our free Barracuda Backup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.