Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Overview

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top IoT Security tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Barracuda CloudGen Firewall vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Barracuda CloudGen Firewall?

Barracuda's Cloud Generation Firewalls redefine the role of the Firewall from a perimeter security solution to a distributed network optimization solution that scales across any number of locations and applications, connects on-premises and cloud infrastructures, and helps organizations transform their business.

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall is also known as Barracuda NextGen Firewall, Barracuda CloudGen Firewalls.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Customers

ARZ, Bauer, CBCX Technologies, Diamant-groep, Eissmann Group Automotive, European Youth Olympics, Exalo Drilling, FineLine Technologies, Geocell, Grimaldi, Infront Sports & Media, Odlo, Schenker Deutschland AG, Tilak, Verbandsgeneinde Zell, Conservas El Cidacos S.A., Institute for Emergency Medicine and Medicine Management, Erwin Muller GmbH, Info-Tech: NGF is Champion, Schoellerbank, IZB Informatik-Zentrum, RHI AG, Berglandmilch, Antenne Bayern, Sanochemia

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda CloudGen Firewall pricing:
  • "The solution costs more than 800 Euros to purchase an F18, which is an entry model, and then another 500 Euros for instant replacement, and 500 Euros for energized updates. The total package would be around 1,900 Euros for five years license and all updates for an entry model."
  • "The 600 series is about USD $10,000 a year and the 80 is USD $400 a year."
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis. There is an upfront purchase price, and there is also an annual maintenance fee. There are no additional fees."
  • "We pay around 150 to 200 Euros per year and there are no additional costs."

KL
CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good SIEM and a dynamic VPN with good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution specifically for the security of our environments.

• "Their GPS possibilities and the security that it has, especially the SD-WAN functionality, is very good."
  • "If you have another brand of VPN where you have to put an SSL VPN between two devices, Barracuda doesn't support that at a certain point. You can't actually build the VPN between Barracuda and a different device of a different brand."

What other advice do I have?

We are a Barracuda partner. We have firewalls in all of our data centers and have a total of around 200 firewalls. I would advise others that it's really a good product for SD-WAN, and for security. I would advise them to consider other products as well. Companies should certainly consider it for security features. For us, it's probably more of an SD-WAN product to really set up good connections between sites, but not a really in-depth security product per se. If a company needs more security, they should look at and compare different products that may really focus more on the security aspect…
Ron_Ogan
Consultant at IEEE
Good for both small businesses and massive companies but it needs to improve update features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is protecting companies from hackers. Everyone is vulnerable and it's a challenge to protect everything.

• "Scalability is good; the company wants to be able to handle large customers."
  • "If you experience an attack it can take a very long time to find a solution."

What other advice do I have?

All the firewall companies such as Fortinet tend to go after certain markets. All the highly regulated industries such as banking and security exchanges have to follow a lot of rules. Firewalls can't provide them with all their specific needs. A lot of our time is spent trying to fix their problems. Our problem is that they all run different operating systems so it's difficult for them to do a good job at protection. In another area, the more variation in equipment creates more issues. If you had a thousand computers, all identical and doing the same job, you wouldn't have as much trouble as…
Find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Fortinet, Cisco and others in Firewalls. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Randy Millsop
System Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Identity fire walling and application control features enable us to allow access with malware protection

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the need for a VPN site to site connectivity across 30 or more sites. We employ the URL filtering, antivirus protection, malware, advanced threat protection, application control and identity fire walling. We're a customer of Barracuda and I'm a system administrator.

• "Good identity fire walling, malware protection and application control features."
  • "The analytics are weak."

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to need advanced visibility into new areas, then you should plan on purchasing a third party product to be able to capture everything and you will then need to build that cost in. If you don't do that, you're just not going to have that visibility. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Kyle Souza
Data Wizard at P n P Oil and Gas Solutions
Good blocking, logging, traffic monitoring, and VPN capabilities

What is our primary use case?

It is used to secure our local area network and provide VPN access for outside connections. We have its latest version.

• "Its ability to block incoming attacks is valuable. Its logging, traffic monitoring, and VPN capabilities are also valuable."
  • "The biggest issue that I have with this solution is that it is not super intuitive. Once you know what to do, things make sense, but you can't just open the program and start doing things. It would be great if there was a little bit more guided usage inside the program."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make sure that they understand their network before trying to set it up. They should understand what they want the firewall to do and make sure that they know what needs to get through the firewall. I would rate Barracuda CloudGen Firewall an eight out of ten. I am very happy with this solution.
WM
Consulting Engineer at IV4
Reseller
Ability to manage multiple firewalls across multiple entities is a key advantage

What is our primary use case?

Our company installs and maintains solutions, mainly firewalls, for clients. We are resellers and I'm a consulting engineer.

• "Ability to manage multiple firewalls."
  • "Command line could be more user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

It's worth getting somebody who knows the solution to install it. Each of the firewall solutions has its own little quirks, but there's not a big difference between all of the upper level solutions - Barracuda, Juniper, Palo Alto, Cisco - they're all very similar and all do roughly the same thing. We generally recommend Barracuda to our clients. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Mohd Fauzan Rahim
Senior Network Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to scale, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We use barracuda firewall as edge router connecting to our ISP modem. we turn on firewall with IP, port, applications, web filtering. We also use its VPN site-to-site and client to site.

• "What I like best about this product are the support and the features."
  • "The interface should be more user-friendly and it should be easier to configure."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to do a proof of concept first, to make sure that it meets the requirements. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MB
IT Director at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Stable, User-friendly, and comparably-priced

What is our primary use case?

Barracuda is our main firewall solution in our headquarters.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very user-friendly and it is quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be more reliable and more professional. I would like to see better support for switching between internet devices.

I have been using Barracuda CloudGen Firewall for more than three years.

The stability is okay and we haven't had any issues.

Technical support used to be at a very high level but it is now a bit less so. Regardless, the support is still quite efficient compared to other companies. It depends…
VL
Consultant with 51-200 employees
Enables us to apply our policies to the program and isn't too expensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is data protection.

• "The features I find most valuable is the VPN and the fact that we can apply our policies to the program."
  • "I would like to see a more user-friendly dashboard and an easier interface."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to get familiar with firewalls logic. My rating for this program is 9.5 out of ten. Not a ten because I would like better technical support and a better interface.
See 1 more Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Reviews
Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Fortinet, Cisco, and more!