Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Overview

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top IoT Security tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Barracuda CloudGen Firewall vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Barracuda CloudGen Firewall?

Barracuda's Cloud Generation Firewalls redefine the role of the Firewall from a perimeter security solution to a distributed network optimization solution that scales across any number of locations and applications, connects on-premises and cloud infrastructures, and helps organizations transform their business.

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall is also known as Barracuda NextGen Firewall, Barracuda CloudGen Firewalls.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Customers

ARZ, Bauer, CBCX Technologies, Diamant-groep, Eissmann Group Automotive, European Youth Olympics, Exalo Drilling, FineLine Technologies, Geocell, Grimaldi, Infront Sports & Media, Odlo, Schenker Deutschland AG, Tilak, Verbandsgeneinde Zell, Conservas El Cidacos S.A., Institute for Emergency Medicine and Medicine Management, Erwin Muller GmbH, Info-Tech: NGF is Champion, Schoellerbank, IZB Informatik-Zentrum, RHI AG, Berglandmilch, Antenne Bayern, Sanochemia

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Video

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JT
SystemAdbe1b
System Administrator at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
Dec 27, 2018
If we didn't have the product, then we would be spammed constantly

What is our primary use case?

We are mostly using it for spam filtering. We have had great success with Barracuda Cloud, using it to block any spam before it even gets to our on-premise devices. I also had the same results occur at my previous place of employment, so I have had a lot of success with the product.

• "Barracuda is very prompt at blocking any new spam which comes out."
  • "The product is foolproof. It has done everything that we have needed with the amount of email that we receive, and it handles it quite well."
  • "To start working with spam, it takes a while because the product has to see that multiple emails are coming in with all the spam. If it could reduce that amount of time, then we would reduce the amount of users who are receiving spam."

What other advice do I have?

Give Barracuda a try because it has been successful in my experience. The product is foolproof. It has done everything that we have needed with the amount of email that we receive, and it handles it quite well. So, I would give it a ten out of ten and recommend it to anyone for use. I have used the on-premise and Barracuda Cloud versions of the product. We are only now looking into AWS. They are already pushing it out to the cloud and putting another layer in front of it before it even gets to me.
ML
Director854e
Director of IT at Superfeet Worldwide Inc.
Dec 11, 2018
We have enjoyed a reduction in labor from using this product

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security.

• "We enjoy the reduction in terms of labor."
  • "The usability for the administrator's experience needs improvement. My system administrator has some questions about its overall connectivity and flexibility."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to check out this product. We have used other versions besides AWS, and we are still comparing them.
Find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Fortinet, Cisco and others in Firewalls. Updated: April 2021.
475,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TR
Tim Ruffer
Director at TT-Repair
User
Aug 20, 2018
Inbound and outbound traffic analysis is a key feature

What is our primary use case?

Barracuda X200 is the edge of our home system for VPN traffic. It provides IPsec to two other sites, including remote VPN access for users who are off the network.

What is most valuable?

Inbound and outbound traffic analysis Rule creation wizard GUI portal Quality online support

What needs improvement?

The unit seems to be handling our 150MB pipe okay, but logger refresh leaves a bit to be desired. A rule for email announcements, when configured hits occur, would be a great improvement for a more efficient experience.

Three to five years.

We replaced an underperforming, continually locking Cisco RV130 unit. However, the two are not an "apples to…
GD
NetworkAdmin77
Network Administrator at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Feb 21, 2018
Single device, multiple functions - I don't need to buy a WAF, proxy server, or VPN device - all are built-in

• "Add-on features such as Virus Scanning, ATP, and web filtering add another level of protection and block malware before it gets to the end user."
  • "Single device, multiple functions - I do not need to purchase a web application firewall, a proxy server, a VPN device and so many others because these are all built in to this one device."
  • "TINA (Transport Independent Network Architecture) VPN features - Allows automatic VPN configuration with little or no input from the tech. Drag and drop lines between Barracuda units and the VPN is built automatically."
  • "Can be underpowered if you choose to use all available add-on features. Just be careful when sizing your unit. Make sure you take into account what features you will be turning on, and work with your sales rep to get the model that can handle that load."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10 due to its ease of installation, great technical support, very intuitive user interface, and numerous features. Go through the training course.
it_user549963
Founder at let's-ConnectIndia
Feb 21, 2018
Provides real-time, deep, user-level monitoring, single sign-on, and integrates with AD

What is our primary use case?

We use it for priority level security, to manage single sign-on applications and user base policy from a single firewall device. We use it for SSL inspection, for SSL site-to-site, for point-to-site, and for user base policy allocation.

• "Enables us to define user application-level access, so our customers can work anytime from anywhere."
  • "Live monitoring of what is happening inside and on the interfaces, either ingress or egress."
  • "Most people are using enterprise applications remotely, and there is no license for SSL VPN, or in other words point-to-site. There is no limit on that. On other devices there is a specific limit and you have to pay per use for SSL VPN."
  • "Single sign-on is also good. If you are accessing your corporate firewall from your home, during that time there is integration with AD. You can use your AD password to access your SSL VPN. It's not like if you buy an additional SSL VPN... You can directly integrate with your AD. If you change your password on the AD side, your client-to-VPN password also gets changed. You can integrate all your passwords from a single console. It's not like admin has to change your password, it's a single sign-on."
  • "It's a little bit complex in terms of handling. If you implement a change, there is a specific point where you have to commit it. It's not like you just push a button and it's always committed. If you don't know to check whether your commit command has been executed or not... that is something Barracuda needs to work on."
  • "When you do any commit, it locks your next access. If you are making a change to the device, from the security standpoint it's fine, but from the admin side it's not good. When you make changes, after each and every one it becomes locked."
  • "When you login from some sources, there is no feature in this box which can log you out after a certain timeout."

What other advice do I have?

When I initially started using it I was just an end-user, a technical consultant. And one of my customers said to me, "I want these and these features." I searched a number of products with respect to the customer's requirements and we chose Barracuda. I then signed on to be an OEM partner with Barracuda, about four years ago. It's good to go with Barracuda. If your work is only on the internet, you can go with this product. If you want to create your own MPLS network, or you are more focused on application performance over the internet, you can go with Barracuda. I would not blindly say go…
Israel Caravantes
CIO LATAM at i-Track Systems Development, S.A. de C.V.
Reseller
Feb 19, 2018
You can program it to detect certain attacks, and it will automatically insulate or block the IP

What is our primary use case?

We implement it for customers. We have some customers in Mexico who need that kind of technology. We sell that technology to them. Some of our customers have experience working with previous versions of Barracuda; they ask us to implement that kind of device. We have certification with Barracuda, we have certification with some other brands.

• "If an employee tries to get or move a file that is not permitted to them - for example if he wants to copy it to a USB - he will not have the right to do that, because Barracuda manages who has the right to copy, and what you copy to a USB. The USB is encrypted with a specific code from Barracuda and will only be decrypted into any other laptop in the company if they allow it to see it."
  • "When you are sending information to an external email address, Barracuda can warn you when you are trying to access a private or personal email, or trying to upload information and not allow you to do that."
  • "Easy integration with some other systems like LDAP or Active Directory to manage other permissions and the division of external access and internal access."

What other advice do I have?

We are an information technology service provider in telecommunications. We can supply any kind of device, for a datacenter, and contact centers, for our customers. We are using technology from Dell, HPE, Palo Alto, Barracuda, and some other brands to implement technology solutions for customers. Our principal service is a managed service, information security services, or cyber security. We sell those services to different customers in Mexico. We are serving Central America and some other countries in Latin America. I give Barracuda an eight out of 10 because they can still give more to the…
    Dragoslav Vasiljevic
    System & Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    Jan 24, 2018
    We use it as a border firewall. We use it to control all in/out Internet traffic.

What is our primary use case?

My current company operates in the financial arena so we have to maintain our infrastructure according to leading security standards (PCI DSS and PA-DSS). These devices allow us to pass external and internal penetration tests by supporting all the recommendations of those standards.

• "We use Barracuda NG Firewall as a border firewall. We trough it to control all in/out Internet traffic."
    • "​Sometimes we have a need for detailed reports. Barracuda NG Firewall does not have a reports module and uses a satellite application."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to try and evaluate it (Barracuda offers a trial period of one month). I think that a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with its possibilities.
    it_user219912
    IT Infrastucture - Cloud Admin at Primary S.A.
    Sep 18, 2015
    The product is great, and it fulfilled our expectations. However, we found it a little harder to configure than others.

What other advice do I have?

Try it before you buy. Barracuda gives the chance to try the hardware and the software before buying it so you can test all the things that you will need and use day-to-day. And if you can, take a seminar to get the most out of the devices. However we found the product a little harder to configure than others, and so it´s not a product for unskilled/inexperienced administrators. You will need training to get the best of this product.
    it_user298419
    Automation Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Aug 25, 2015
    It provides an antivirus and filters for URL and web, but setup can be complex.

What is most valuable?

Firewall VPN protocol - TINA Antivirus URL filter Web filter

What needs improvement?

It is already a complete product.

We've used this product since 2012.

No issues encountered.

Support is really great as we are a a diamond partner.

I used Cisco ASA before, but the Barracuda NG Firewall is better.

It can be complex, but also straightforward.

What about the

it_user277008
    Sr ICT Consultant at ditp
    Jul 22, 2015
    Updating firewalls, both for firmware and on fixes, requires a couple of mouse clicks. However, initial deployment required a steep learning curve.

What other advice do I have?

Although it is a truly great firewall it is certainly not a “run of the mill” product, and even if you have thorough knowledge of other firewall environment, don’t go in there without a good partner that will guide and support you. Not really a Barracuda NG Firewall but a Barracuda rack mounted device (EON) that is capable of running the NG Firewall, next to instances of e.g. Web Application Firewall, Web Filters, etc., the sustained throughput on these boxes is around 250 GB. Showing an F10, low-end, firewall and an F600, mid-range, model Barracuda NG Firewall Just the first screen of a (demo…
    it_user217800
    IT Consultant - Network Admin at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Mar 31, 2015
    We had some problems getting the TINA tunnels working. Now that they are working they're valuable.

What other advice do I have?

If you have an issue call support. If you're a Cisco net tech prepare for different terminology and network design.
    it_user221850
    Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Mar 30, 2015
    The VPN tunnel provides a secure environment in the organization but sometimes you are unable to login using the default login.

What is most valuable?

The VPN feature.

How has it helped my organization?

The drag and drop features of VPN are really convenient to be configured. Additionally, the VPN tunnel provides a secure environment in the organization.

What needs improvement?

Nothing much except some little buggy issue sometimes, such as unable to login using the default login when out-of-box and will required factory reset once again.

About one year.

Nothing much except some buggy issues sometimes as mentioned above.

Nothing much except some buggy issues sometimes as mentioned above.

Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Fortinet, Cisco, and more!