Barracuda Email Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is #4 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. IT Central Station users give Barracuda Email Security Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Barracuda Email Security Gateway is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiMail:Barracuda Email Security Gateway vs Fortinet FortiMail. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Barracuda Email Security Gateway?

With the Barracuda Email Security Gateway, protecting against inbound malware, spam, phishing, and Denial of Service attacks ensures that business productivity isn’t impacted by attacks through the email system. Powerful and customizable policies enable further enforcement of detailed requirements that govern inbound email messages.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is also known as Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Customers

Evolution Recruitment Solutions, Evans Delivery Company, Osoyoos Credit Union, Synovis Life Technologies, Camden County Technical Schools, DEK, Evans Delivery Company, Colgate Rochester Crozer, Hemmera, South Carolina Heart Center, Ferma Corporation, Major League Baseball (MLB), Healy Brothers Automotive Group

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Email Security Gateway pricing:
  • "The pricing for the product is fine."
  • "It is a cost-effective and relatively cheap solution as compared to others. Our customers have a yearly subscription. We do have a few customers with monthly subscriptions, but they have cloud-based Email protection, which is a different type of solution. Both solutions are very good."
  • "We paid for an annual license."
  • "We pay between $8 and $10 USD per user per month."

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Reviews

Fredric Robinson
Founder CEO at Waterdog Computer Works
Get rid of your spam concerns and be more productive with the help of this product

• "Eliminating inbox clutter creates an opportunity to be more productive instead of wasting time manually sorting through spam."
  • "The spam filtering is a little too aggressive. You can not get granular enough to back off on what is considered spam and what is not."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP (Managed Service Provider) so, basically, all of our business clients who want email security are using this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Barracuda has made things easier simply by making it so all of us do not have to go through the mounds of spam that would be coming in otherwise. It has made our lives a lot simpler in letting us see what is valuable in our inboxes rather than a blob of emails users have to hunt through.

What is most valuable?

It is really hard to pinpoint any one feature that is more valuable than the others. I mean, the features are all valuable. If I had to choose, I guess the spam filtering part of the product stands out as phenomenal. The time it saves in eliminating inbox clutter and the focus that creates allows staff to be more productive instead of absolutely wasting time manually filtering spam.

What needs improvement?

An improvement I would encourage is that sometimes the spam filtering is a little too aggressive. You can not get granular enough to back off what is considered spam and what is not. So it is fine that they have predefined settings for spam, but not so good that it can not be modified. If we could go in and modify the settings or affect the way it is treating spam, I think that would allow for more versatility and better results.

I have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for probably a little over two years.

The stability of Email Security is fine. We have had no real issues with it.

Scalability is very, very easy. We have over 40 clients with multiple end-users currently using it, so it has already proven to be very scalable.

Primarily the people using the product are actually the end-users. They could be CFOs, CEOs, company presidents, office managers — the whole gamut of employees use the product if they use the network. We are an MSP, so we are literally servicing the whole range of different companies and different end-user needs with pretty high volume capability.

I would say their technical support is a ten. They are really good. They support you right from the beginning with training and make you comfortable adopting the product.

Barracuda was actually the first product like this that we utilized. We were looking for a product to take care of spam and email security. In our comparison, we found this product to be the solution for us at the time.

The initial setup is pretty straight forward as long as you pay attention when you get the training. Record that training session.

The pricing for the product is fine. It matches what we can budget to the functionality we expect.

What other advice do I have?

Security Gateway is simple to implement. Make sure that multiple people on staff are trained in setting it up. In other words, you do not want to just be relying on one individual in the organization to be the only one who is able to set it up. Always have a backup, or even two. That is especially important to us as an MSP.

One more thing would be to pay attention when you first onboard with the solution. Barracuda puts you through some training with one of their technicians. I think it is important that you record those training sessions to keep for your reference. What will happen if you do not take advantage of recording it is that after the first two or three installs, you will be on your own. If you make sure you make a copy of your training session with them, then you can always refer back to it.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product overall as a nine-of-ten. The reason I would give it a nine is just that one area where we do not have the ability to manually go in and modify some of the settings. Until we can do that, it is still a great product but it is not quite a ten.

Other
RainerAlbrecht
General Manager at Gemakom
Link protection checks links and alerts us to phishing attacks

• "The link protection and anti-phishing features are great."
  • "False positives have given us issues."

What is our primary use case?

We use it ourselves as well as our customers. Our deployment is on-premise and also combined with cloud control. Cloud control is second-tier. The first tier is cloud control, the Barracuda and Barracuda cloud and then the email is passed to our Barracuda box which is on-premise. It's a gateway appliance, not a hardware box. It is normally used with Microsoft Exchange server but is also supported with Microsoft Office 365. We have 20 users but our customers have from 200 to 500 users.

What is most valuable?

They combined the cloud control and they have anti-phishing. There is link protection, which means when a link is in the email and it is similar to PayPal, for example, it gets flagged. The link protection checks the link and checks that it has been faked because it's not the original PayPal link. So when a link is not original then it's passed to Barracuda and checked in the sent box and when it's okay then it's opened. Otherwise, if it's malware then there's an alert which says, "That's a phishing attack and this is what you need to do."

What needs improvement?

We had a case where right before a link was redirected and there was no chance to ignore it. A few days ago there was a feature request to clean and redirect a link because it was a false positive. Let us say false positive in the link protection and there's no easy way to correct it.

We have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for five years.

It's stable. The only issue is when you do an email campaign with large file attachments, PDF and then email, the system slows down. That is a problem because the queue gets full and you have to correct it and delete those emails manually.

The scalability is pretty granular. For example, 80p protection and cloud protection, link protection, anti-phishing, you can buy it all separately. You buy the original box and then you can buy afterward the additional security features.

Their support is very good. You get German and from Austria, but they also have English support world-wide. It is very good. With less response time. Short response time.

We previously used another solution. The complexity of the user interface was very complex and if you tried to make a configuration change, you end up searching for the feature and where you can edit. Also, security is a very good feature of the Barracuda Email Security Gateway. It has a per-user quarantine. It's very comfortable for the user to make his own white list or blacklist.

The setup is straightforward, it's very easy. For example, I want to change a feature but I didn't find it easily. There's a search option and you find the manual entry and you can make a conflict change.

It is yearly licensing. They recently increased the price but the price-performance relation is still very good. Compared to Cisco IronPort, Barracuda is less expensive and the configuration is much simpler.

What other advice do I have?

Try the Barracuda Email Essential Security Cloud Service. It's not expensive and implemented in half an hour.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Email Security Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DD
CIO at a government with 51-200 employees
Rock solid and great at blocking spam

• "Great at blocking spam."
  • "Solution requires regular checking to ensure it's 'keeping up' with spam."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is my spam filter and it's tied to my exchange server. All SMTP traffic goes through Barracuda. I've just started using their cloud service and I'm looking possibly at their firewall solutions also because I can tie all these things together in the cloud. We are customers of Barracuda and I work as CIO at a municipality in the States.

How has it helped my organization?

If you have raw spam, this solution is going to catch it. They are consistent and they're good. Spam itself is not getting through, although email with links that deliver spam can bring it in if users are not being diligent. My biggest concern is educating my end users that just because an email looks like it is from someone you know, doesn't mean you should open it. My mantra is: If you weren't expecting it, delete it.

What is most valuable?

I like the frontend blocking of spam which is what it is designed to do. I like the Dashboard view, it gives me a great overview of everything. Also, it is rich in configuration options which allow for some very fine tuning. Overall, It's been very beneficial.

What needs improvement?

In the past, I would have said that the reporting could be improved, but they've gotten better at that in recent versions. Although I don't use reporting routinely, it's something I do when I need to check something or pull some kind of statistical report. Also, I had some difficulty in the past with the system getting swamped and overwhelmed trying to process all incoming traffic. The appliance didn't have the resources to keep up. Obviously the network is getting more and more spam and virus traffic which adds to the problem. Since I had a service contract with Barracuda, they were able to resolve the issue by shipping me newer replacement hardware with significantly more computing resources. This was all at no cost.

I've been using this solution for six years.

This solution is rock solid.

It scales quite well as far as I can tell. I've got a box that is more than adequate for my environment. I've have about 250 end users so I'm not huge environment. We're a municipality, and all end user email routes through Barracuda regardless of which department they are in.

The technical support is excellent. Response time is great.

I think the initial setup was pretty straightforward. As I mentioned previously, we recently upgraded to the current version, and in the process our hardware was upgraded because we were running on older Pentium processors. It all went quite smoothly with support from Barracuda.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good product, it's rated fairly highly when I look at reviews.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10, no reason for not giving a 10 than, nothing is perfect.

RM
Technical Manager at Sarkar Group
Reseller
Scalable with good stability and very good anti-spam features

• "The solution's anti-spam features are its most valuable aspect."
  • "The deep scanning feature needs to be improved."

What is most valuable?

The solution's anti-spam features are its most valuable aspect. It's quite effective. It stops a lot of junk from getting through.

What needs improvement?

The solution requires better API integration. It's really lacking right now. If there was API access that allowed us to integrate some of our own technology or features in there that would be ideal.

The deep scanning feature needs to be improved. It's not as effective as we need it to be. We need to understand a bit more about how it's scanning and blocking and how, if it's possible, to tweak the settings.

The solution has quite a few outdated videos. When you watch them and try to follow them for doing certain tasks, you quickly realize they are out of date. They need to update their video documentation for their user base.

I've been using the solution for over two years at this point. It's been a while, but not too long. It may actually even be up to three years now.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have any issues with that aspect of the product. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. It's good.

The scalability is quite good. If a company needs to scale it out, they can do so. It's not too hard to expand it. We haven't had any issues with scalability so far.

The technical support is great. Technical support is actually very good. We will send them an email and they will call us. Once, we had an issue that took a full six hours to solve. The support team actually helped us for the whole six hours. They didn't abandon us at all. It's a great service that they provide. We're quite satisfied with them.

We didn't really use any other solution previous to this product.

The initial setup is not overly complex. We found it pretty straightforward. It's not too hard to execute.

The deployment is pretty fast as well. It's a good process. We've done it a few times at this point.

The pricing is fine. It's somewhere in the middle if you look at the market. There are certainly other products with higher and lower price points. We don't find their pricing unreasonable, however. We're willing to pay for it.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers of the product.

Overall, we've been pretty happy with the solution.

I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.

MS
Presales Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Responsive, flexible, easy to use, and cost-effective

• "It is a really good product with a lot of features. It is responsive, updated, and modern. It is easy to use and has an easy interface for non-IT users. Its dashboard is also quite fine. It is also quite flexible and has an API at the backend."
  • "Its integration with other solutions can be improved. There should be integration for telemetry information, system information, and other types of information with other solutions. Barracuda currently doesn't have that. Barracuda has its own platform. Its integration with firewalls is quite good, and it communicates really well with firewalls, but I have not seen any other integration. Based on what I know, it does have an API at the backend, but I have not used it."

What is most valuable?

It is a really good product with a lot of features. It is responsive, updated, and modern. It is easy to use and has an easy interface for non-IT users. Its dashboard is also quite fine.

It is also quite flexible and has an API at the backend.

What needs improvement?

Its integration with other solutions can be improved. There should be integration for telemetry information, system information, and other types of information with other solutions. Barracuda currently doesn't have that. Barracuda has its own platform. Its integration with firewalls is quite good, and it communicates really well with firewalls, but I have not seen any other integration. Based on what I know, it does have an API at the backend, but I have not used it.

We have been a distributor of this solution for about five years.

It is scalable. You can start with a VM or hardware. The hardware is not really scalable, but the VM is scalable. Most vendors are scalable in terms of VMs.

I have about 15 to 20 customers of this solution, and they seem happy.

They have a good support team. They are quite responsive and technical. They are also fast in responding.

It is really easy. I installed Email Security for 100 email clients two or three weeks ago, and it took me half an hour to do the base installation. The training for IT administrations took another one and a half or two hours.

It is easy to install for a non-admin. If you are a normal user trying to configure it, it is really easy to use. If you are an admin, it is a bit more complicated.

It is a cost-effective and relatively cheap solution as compared to others.

Our customers have a yearly subscription. We do have a few customers with monthly subscriptions, but they have cloud-based Email protection, which is a different type of solution. Both solutions are very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Barracuda has one of the best email security solutions for SMB and big enterprises. Barracuda is not a leader for email security, but they are really good at what they are doing. In terms of email security, Barracuda is one of the best solutions. There are a hundred different products in the market, such as Fortinet and Forcepoint, but Barracuda is cost-effective and really good at what it does.

I would rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway a nine out of ten. It is a really good solution, and it does what it says.

Zubair Ahmad
Chief Manager at Arcil
Good scalability, but inadequate reporting

• "The solution is scalable."
  • "Barracuda has shown difficulty in providing us with the solutions we sought."

What is our primary use case?

We always use the latest version.

We use it as an email gateway.

What needs improvement?

Barracuda has shown difficulty in providing us with the solutions we sought. We have found ourselves sending many emails to their outside domain. They have not demonstrated the reporting system we required when reports were sought.

As the solution is cloud-based there is no need to install anything on-premises. Some of the settings we have configured on the cloud and done integration with our domain server. Once integrated with the system, all the mails pass solely through the gateway. What we see is that there are times when genuine mails are blocked and others when spam mail makes its way through.

We have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for the past year.

For the moment the solution is good. It is scalable.

Technical support is very quick, However, we have generally found them to lack the solution we need when we have contacted them.

As the solution is cloud-based there is no need to install it in each and every endpoint.

While installation was easy, it was not necessary to do for each and every session, as its parameters are solely within the email gateway.

The vendor assisted us with deployment.

There is a five to six person supporting staff which helps us with deployment and maintenance. These consist of managers, administrators and engineers.

We paid for an annual license.

We did not evaluate other products before going with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed on cloud.

There are 300 people making use of the solution in our organization.

All solutions have their pros and cons and there is no such thing as a perfect solution. We cannot customize the solution according to our needs and, consequently, its reporting capabilities are lacking. For this reason I rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway as a seven out of ten.

HirenShah
Director at Dynamic Computer Services
A good all-in-one package with phenomenal anti-phishing capabilities and good support

• "This product is powerful and quite simple to use."
  • "I would like to have better integration with third-party archival vendors to facilitate moving data in and out."

What is our primary use case?

This is a total email security solution.

What is most valuable?

This product is powerful and quite simple to use.

It has a unified interface for archiving, security, and backup, all put together into one portfolio.

This product has phenomenal anti-phishing capabilities.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have better integration with third-party archival vendors to facilitate moving data in and out. This is definitely an area that should be worked on.

Having better user admin controls from an application perspective would also be helpful.

We have been using the Barracuda Email Security Gateway for about a year.

It is very stable and we have had no issues.

Because it is a cloud subscription, it is updated automatically.

In terms of scalability, we haven't had any issues. We have more than 100 users. There are a couple of administrators but most of them are end-users.

The Barracuda support is far better than Trend Micro.

Prior to Barracuda, we were using Trend Micro InterScan Messaging Security, and then we were using Symantec's Email Security. We now have all of the features that we want in a single product.

Working with Trend Micro is a little bit tricky at this point in time.

This solution is very easy to install. It took us a couple of days to deploy.

We pay between $8 and $10 USD per user per month.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product with wonderful security capabilities and I definitely recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

KA
Deputy Manager IT Operations (Senior System Administrator) at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance and the interface is easy to use

• "The performance is good."
  • "The reporting can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for email protection and security.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The technical support service is outsourced and the accents are difficult to understand, even for people like us from the same region.

The reporting can be improved.

The user interface needs to be more responsive. The performance of the actual device is pretty good but the interface lags sometimes.

We have been using the Barracuda Email Security Gateway for six or seven years.

Barracuda is robust and I would say it is pretty stable. We have run it continuously, every day, for the past six or seven years.

You cannot add to this device, so if you want to upgrade then you have to replace it. Each model has a bit of a margin and if you choose it properly then you will not have any problem.

Contacting technical support is pretty easy. Technically, support is decent. However, they are outsourced to India and their accent is not that great. Although we are from the same region, I still have problems understanding them.

We did not use another solution prior to this one, although we are in the process of acquiring a new solution from the same company.

The initial setup is pretty easy and not complex. It took a day or two to deploy.

We had a consultant for the implementation but there was nothing difficult about it.

Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Barracuda Email Security Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.