AH
Head Information Technology Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable, with good antispam capabilities and technical support, but it's not scalable

• "The most valuable feature is the Antispam services, which are the basic services of spam device"
  • "The scalability needs improvement, it's the only feature that is required."

What is our primary use case?

It is useful for a medium-sized business. It is not useful for large enterprise solutions. It's made for small networks with fewer mailboxes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Antispam services, which are the basic services of spam device.

What needs improvement?

The scalability needs improvement, it's the only feature that is required.

I would like to see all of the latest security details available on the device, and it should only be cloud-based, not on-premises.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

We are using the latest version of it.

It's a stable device.

It's not a scalable product. If we want to scale it then we have to change the device, because it is on-premises. It is not a cloud-based solution.

We have 2400 users in our organization.

Technical support is good. We have no issues with support.

Previously, we did not use another solution.

The initial setup is not complicated.

I cannot remember the installation time, as it was a while ago.

We have a team of administrators to maintain this solution.

The licensing cost is competitive, it's not too high and not too low.

What other advice do I have?

We have a standalone device that is not scalable, so we are considering a cloud-based solution.

I would recommend using the cloud-based solution, and not as an on-premises deployment.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Manjil Bhetwal
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A user-friendly solution that is easy to deploy and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we provide to our clients. This solution is used for email security. It provides security when using Office 365, for Google Suite, in-house email servers, and other devices. We generally deploy it as a hardware solution for our clients, but it depends on their environment and what their requirements are.

How has it helped my organization?

Better Protection and Overall Visibility

What is most valuable?

The security protection is the best and it's GUI is user-friendly. It has a simple configuration where you can set up the protection. The solution provides good information on various threats that can affect our customers.

What needs improvement?

For how long have I used the

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Better Protection and Overall Visibility

What is most valuable?

The security protection is the best and it's GUI is user-friendly.

It has a simple configuration where you can set up the protection.

What needs improvement?

I have three and a half years of experience with the Barracuda Email Security Gateway.

This solution has been stable and we have not faced any issues.

Our clients are enterprise-level businesses, government bodies, and other institutions. We have not received feedback on any major issues as they have tried to scale up or add on to their environment.

Barracuda's support is very good and I would rate them four and a half out of five. Nobody is perfect.

The initial setup is easy and user-friendly, and you can deploy it quickly.

We deploy in-house

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Email Security Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Helpful technical support, plenty of features, and highly stable

• "There are plenty of features, such as sandboxing capabilities with zero threat protection. It has all the leading email security appliances compared to other solutions."
  • "The solution could improve by adding DomainKeys (DKIM) functionality. This is something that is essentially required nowadays for outbound security. They do not have it on their on-premise solution appliance but they have alternate arrangements for their cloud solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Barracuda Email Security Gateway for threat protection.

What is most valuable?

It is a very different solution when it comes to anti-spam, anti-phishing, scanning, and it has API direct integration. There are plenty of features, such as sandboxing capabilities with zero threat protection. It has all the leading email security appliances compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding DomainKeys (DKIM) functionality. This is something that is essentially required nowadays for outbound security. They do not have it on their on-premise solution appliance but they have alternate arrangements for their cloud solution. You cannot force clients to go to the cloud for one feature, it would be a great benefit to have it on-premise.

I have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for approximately 15 years.

The solution is highly stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have 10 to 15 customers using this solution.

The technical support has been very good.

The solution is straightforward. One side deployment for approximately 600 mailboxes does not take more than three hours. However, if it is more than 1,000 then it could take longer.

There is an annual license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway an eight out of ten.

SM
Insolvency Practitioner and Director at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Simple to whitelist addresses, but it could always be more secure

• "It is very simple to whitelist addresses."
  • "This product can always be made more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to protect us against spam and viruses.

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to whitelist addresses.

What needs improvement?

This product can always be made more secure.

We have been using the Barracuda Email Security Gateway for a few years.

We use this product on a daily basis.

We have 18 of us who are using this product.

Our support is outsourced.

We were using a different solution prior to Barracuda and we switched because our IT support company suggested it.

Our department was not responsible for the deployment.

The licensing fees are part of a bundled support package that we pay for.

This security product is part of an IT support package that we bought, and we didn't select it or purchase it for a specific reason. I don't know who the competitors are.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am satisfied with this product, although I don't have the expertise to meaningfully recommend it, or not.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Shashi Sharma
Senior IT Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Easy configuration, intuitive dashboard, but reports need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution to upgrade clients using old legacy security to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

We have found some of the valuable features to be how easy the solution is to configure, the graphic support, and the intuitive dashboard.

What needs improvement?

There are limited administration controls that should be improved. Additionally, the reports available currently are not enough.

I have been using the solution for eight months.

The resolution has been reliable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for eight months.

The resolution has been reliable.

There has not been any problem with the scalability of the solution. We have approximately 600 users using the solution in my organization. We have plans to increase usage in the future by 100.

The technical support has been good and responsive they have always called us back.

The installation is complex.

The solution requires a license and we pay annually.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others. In a few years, I think this solution is going to be a global leader.

I rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway a seven out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Very strong anti-spamming and anti-phishing features

• "The anti-spamming, anti-fishing features are great."
  • "The DMARC security is somewhat weak and could be strengthened."

What is our primary use case?

We have almost 600 users using Veeam Backup which is secured through Barracuda Email Security gateway. We are resellers of Barracuda.

What is most valuable?

The anti-spamming and anti-phishing features are great. They're really strong and stable in this solution.

What needs improvement?

The DMARC security is somewhat weak and could be strengthened. Email classification is not directly integrated with Barracuda Email Security and that kind of classification would be helpful.

The solution is scalable. As mentioned, we have close to 600 users.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We contacted technical support during implementation. They were responsive.

The initial setup was a bit complex but the Barracuda team helped us configure it very well.

I'm not sure of the actual cost but the license fees are based on a per user annual basis.

What other advice do I have?

For any user receiving compromising third-party emails, Barracuda will help secure the system.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

MN
IT Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Does not require any maintenance

• "We find the email security to be valuable."
  • "The solution should include an improvised anti-phishing feature, since it blocks certain genuine emails."

What is most valuable?

We find the email security to be valuable.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for six or eight months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We did not work with another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was very easy and user-friendly.

I cannot comment on the pricing as this is not within my knowledge.

What other advice do I have?

We procured the solution as a service.

We have 3,000 people making use of it.

There is no need for us to do maintenance. The solution is administered by our subset department and they have a fantastic support team, should there arise any field issues. They are wonderfully accessible.

I rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway as a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Barracuda Email Security Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.