Barracuda Email Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Email Security tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiMail: Barracuda Email Security Gateway vs Fortinet FortiMail

What is Barracuda Email Security Gateway?

With the Barracuda Email Security Gateway, protecting against inbound malware, spam, phishing, and Denial of Service attacks ensures that business productivity isn’t impacted by attacks through the email system. Powerful and customizable policies enable further enforcement of detailed requirements that govern inbound email messages.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is also known as Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Customers

Evolution Recruitment Solutions, Evans Delivery Company, Osoyoos Credit Union, Synovis Life Technologies, Camden County Technical Schools, DEK, Evans Delivery Company, Colgate Rochester Crozer, Hemmera, South Carolina Heart Center, Ferma Corporation, Major League Baseball (MLB), Healy Brothers Automotive Group

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Email Security Gateway pricing:
  • "The pricing for the product is fine."
  • "It is a cost-effective and relatively cheap solution as compared to others. Our customers have a yearly subscription. We do have a few customers with monthly subscriptions, but they have cloud-based Email protection, which is a different type of solution. Both solutions are very good."
  • "We paid for an annual license."
  • "We pay between $8 and $10 USD per user per month."

Fredric Robinson
Founder CEO at Waterdog Computer Works
Get rid of your spam concerns and be more productive with the help of this product

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP (Managed Service Provider) so, basically, all of our business clients who want email security are using this product.

• "Eliminating inbox clutter creates an opportunity to be more productive instead of wasting time manually sorting through spam."
  • "The spam filtering is a little too aggressive. You can not get granular enough to back off on what is considered spam and what is not."

What other advice do I have?

Security Gateway is simple to implement. Make sure that multiple people on staff are trained in setting it up. In other words, you do not want to just be relying on one individual in the organization to be the only one who is able to set it up. Always have a backup, or even two. That is especially important to us as an MSP. One more thing would be to pay attention when you first onboard with the solution. Barracuda puts you through some training with one of their technicians. I think it is important that you record those training sessions to keep for your reference. What will happen if you do…
RainerAlbrecht
General Manager at Gemakom
Link protection checks links and alerts us to phishing attacks

What is our primary use case?

We use it ourselves as well as our customers. Our deployment is on-premise and also combined with cloud control. Cloud control is second-tier. The first tier is cloud control, the Barracuda and Barracuda cloud and then the email is passed to our Barracuda box which is on-premise. It's a gateway appliance, not a hardware box. It is normally used with Microsoft Exchange server but is also supported with Microsoft Office 365. We have 20 users but our customers have from 200 to 500 users.

• "The link protection and anti-phishing features are great."
  • "False positives have given us issues."

What other advice do I have?

Try the Barracuda Email Essential Security Cloud Service. It's not expensive and implemented in half an hour. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Email Security Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DD
CIO at a government with 51-200 employees
Rock solid and great at blocking spam

What is our primary use case?

This solution is my spam filter and it's tied to my exchange server. All SMTP traffic goes through Barracuda. I've just started using their cloud service and I'm looking possibly at their firewall solutions also because I can tie all these things together in the cloud. We are customers of Barracuda and I work as CIO at a municipality in the States.

• "Great at blocking spam."
  • "Solution requires regular checking to ensure it's 'keeping up' with spam."

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good product, it's rated fairly highly when I look at reviews. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10, no reason for not giving a 10 than, nothing is perfect.
RM
Technical Manager at Sarkar Group
Reseller
Scalable with good stability and very good anti-spam features

• "The solution's anti-spam features are its most valuable aspect."
  • "The deep scanning feature needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers of the product. Overall, we've been pretty happy with the solution. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.
MS
Presales Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Responsive, flexible, easy to use, and cost-effective

• "It is a really good product with a lot of features. It is responsive, updated, and modern. It is easy to use and has an easy interface for non-IT users. Its dashboard is also quite fine. It is also quite flexible and has an API at the backend."
  • "Its integration with other solutions can be improved. There should be integration for telemetry information, system information, and other types of information with other solutions. Barracuda currently doesn't have that. Barracuda has its own platform. Its integration with firewalls is quite good, and it communicates really well with firewalls, but I have not seen any other integration. Based on what I know, it does have an API at the backend, but I have not used it."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Barracuda has one of the best email security solutions for SMB and big enterprises. Barracuda is not a leader for email security, but they are really good at what they are doing. In terms of email security, Barracuda is one of the best solutions. There are a hundred different products in the market, such as Fortinet and Forcepoint, but Barracuda is cost-effective and really good at what it does. I would rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway a nine out of ten. It is a really good solution, and it does what it says.
ZA
Junior Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good scalability, but inadequate reporting

What is our primary use case?

We always use the latest version. We use it as an email gateway.

• "The solution is scalable."
  • "Barracuda has shown difficulty in providing us with the solutions we sought."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed on cloud. There are 300 people making use of the solution in our organization. All solutions have their pros and cons and there is no such thing as a perfect solution. We cannot customize the solution according to our needs and, consequently, its reporting capabilities are lacking. For this reason I rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway as a seven out of ten.
HirenShah
Director at Dynamic Computer Services
A good all-in-one package with phenomenal anti-phishing capabilities and good support

What is our primary use case?

This is a total email security solution.

• "This product is powerful and quite simple to use."
  • "I would like to have better integration with third-party archival vendors to facilitate moving data in and out."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product with wonderful security capabilities and I definitely recommend it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
KA
Deputy Manager IT Operations (Senior System Administrator) at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance and the interface is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for email protection and security.

• "The performance is good."
  • "The reporting can be improved."

See 7 more Barracuda Email Security Gateway Reviews
Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Barracuda Email Security Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.