Barracuda Email Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is #4 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. IT Central Station users give Barracuda Email Security Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Barracuda Email Security Gateway is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiMail:Barracuda Email Security Gateway vs Fortinet FortiMail. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Barracuda Email Security Gateway?

With the Barracuda Email Security Gateway, protecting against inbound malware, spam, phishing, and Denial of Service attacks ensures that business productivity isn’t impacted by attacks through the email system. Powerful and customizable policies enable further enforcement of detailed requirements that govern inbound email messages.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is also known as Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Customers

Evolution Recruitment Solutions, Evans Delivery Company, Osoyoos Credit Union, Synovis Life Technologies, Camden County Technical Schools, DEK, Evans Delivery Company, Colgate Rochester Crozer, Hemmera, South Carolina Heart Center, Ferma Corporation, Major League Baseball (MLB), Healy Brothers Automotive Group

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Video

Archived Barracuda Email Security Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Ajai Jayakumar
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Has intelligent sensing of attacks and offers assistance for load balancing but support is lacking

• "It is an excellent, intelligent solution that provides maximum security from email attacks."
  • "The technical support is not available globally 24/7 and this is the biggest problem with the product."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for the main features: intelligent sensing of attacks and the assistance for load balancing. The features are very good. The system is intelligent enough to determine which emails are genuine and deliverable and which are spam or phishing or other types of potential attacks. It processes emails in real-time and it can protect your email server and provide good security for an organization's network.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a solution for protecting our infrastructure from malicious email attacks without having to use a lot of internal resources to support the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are really the same as our primary use for the product: intelligent handling of potential email attacks and offloading or load-balancing. This effectively protects the organization from malicious attacks.

What needs improvement?

One aspect of the product that can be improved is the availability of support. We don't have the availability of support 24/7, and it takes some time to get answers. These technical support people are in some other country, and our time zone is not supported.

We have to often give them remote access to resolve issues, so potentially it is a security risk also. Sometimes clients who we resell to will not accept that risk because you are opening a secured doorway to the internet. That can be a bit of headache in those cases, which we end up having to work-around.

Actually the rest of the product is very good and it is otherwise meeting our requirements. I would only hope they would provide better support in our country.

We have been using this product for more than five years.

This is a very stable product. But the stability depends on supporting the product to let it meet the requirements of your organization. We always have to scale according to the demands of our call center. We needed to know how many emails flow in and out of our organization and based on that we choose the correct model of the product. Any organization will have to do this. Once you ensure which product model you need to meet your level of service, then it will be stable.

If you don't size it properly and you under-size it, then you will have a network or email flow issue. For example, if you know you have 2,000 emails flowing in and out per hour and you buy a product which supposed to handle only 200 or 300 emails per hour, then it will slow your email server. At times miscalculating your volume or not buying the right product — maybe to save money — may cause a situation where it will jam and not even work. So stability depends upon how intelligently you approach the analysis of what you really need as a solution.

The product is scalable by choosing the right plan. If you need to scale up or down, that is possible. Pricing will change accordingly.

We occasionally use support, but find it frustrating because it is not global 24/7 and we are affected by the time zone. We don't have local support and because of that we sometimes have to sit late night to troubleshoot with live support or wait for answers. This is the one place where the company could greatly improve the utility of the product for us.

I have used three advanced email security systems, including Trend Micro (InterScan), Cisco IronPort, and Barracuda Email Security Gateway. All three are good solutions but each has its advantages. Cisco, I think, is very expensive compared to Barracuda or Trend Micro. Trend Micro is less expensive but more difficult to deploy and use.

It wasn't so much a case of switching products for my current organization as it was choosing the product that fits with our needs. It was better for us to save a little using Barracuda in cost compared to Cisco and in time and effort compared to Trend Micro.

The deployment took about one week. It was easy to deploy. All the information you need is supplied by the company. You just have to make the proper considerations and do some fine-tuning. Then it can be put into production.

Because we are an enterprise company, we deal with integrators, but we also work with Barracuda directly. So we use both integrators as well as Barracuda support.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is sort of a mid-range price high-end solution. The pricing is scalable depending on the volume of use.

In our choice of a product to use as an email security system, I mostly went by previous experience in using Trend Micro and Cisco IronPort. These are two other very good options.

What other advice do I have?

As far as advice to other organizations considering this solution, I would generally recommend the product. But it depends. I can recommend Barracuda as a user because I have not had any problem with it. But if your organization has a limited budget, you might want to consider going with Trend Micro. Trend Micro is also a very good product, and it is a little cheaper than Barracuda when it comes to pricing structure. But Trend Micro is also not as easy to implement and use as Barracuda. So you would have to determine whether Barracuda is worth investing in so that you save time and effort. Barracuda costs a little more, but it is easier to use, more user-friendly and has a little better reputation.

On a scale from one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway as a seven out of ten. This rating is lower even though I am completely satisfied with this product as a solution. The big problem is not the product, but the support — which I consider a very important factor. If I can't get support on time or I have to work inconvenient hours to get live support, this ends up affecting our services.

One other thing I think I should mention is that the reporting system for Barracuda is very good. Good reporting is important to the utilization of the product in an efficient manner.

CK
Network Specialist at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Straightforward to deploy and the logging feature has been helpful

• "This solution has helped to significantly reduce the amount of junk email that we receive."
  • "The reports are standard, and it would be nice to be able to customize them."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for filtering and enhancing our email.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We really like the logging system in this solution. It is easy to track down email messages that a user has misplaced, or didn't realize that they got. Perhaps it came in but was wrong because the sender had the wrong email alias, for example. You can track down and find things like this.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of this solution could be improved.

The reports are standard, and it would be nice to be able to customize them.

It would be nice if the appliance itself was scalable, rather than having to replace it.

Approximately nine years.

This solution is fairly stable. We have had the appliance replaced a couple of times due to some kind of failure, but over nine years, you're bound to replace it once or twice. When this happened, they were pretty good with the turnaround and getting it back to us.

I would say that this specific appliance is not scalable. While the product, overall, is scalable, we would have to accomplish this by moving up to a different model.

We have approximately two thousand email users who are using the filtering, blocking, and quarantine features. We receive about ten thousand pieces of email per day.

We have been in contact with technical support over the span of its lifetime. They are really good at helping us and working through problems, or trying to fix the appliance when needed.

When a replacement is needed they send us a new box and we ship back the old one. This is part of the additional coverage that we purchased.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward and fairly simple. We were able to do it without support from the vendor. It took us approximately two days to get it up and going.

Our ISP had to set up a DNS NET at the time it was deployed.

We handled the implementation in-house after purchasing it from a reseller. It was myself, and I had some assistance from our ISP at the time of the deployment.

There are three or four of us who handle the management and administration.

The cost of this solution is based on the size of the product that you buy and the number of users. In our case, it is just based on staff.

Our licensing fees are approximately $4,000 per year, and this includes updates for the antivirus and spam signatures. They are always trying to keep up with the spammers.

We were looking for something that was easy for us to deploy and would work. We did evaluate at least one other solution before selecting this one.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product. It works, it's reliable, and it's helpful. We feel that it is worth the money that has been spent on it.

Overall, the product is effective, but the scalability is limited.

Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Email Security Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SYED AMIN
Senior Systems Administrator - Microsoft & LINUX at TCS Private Limited
Handles filtering well and helps with the recovery of unintentionally deleted email

• "This appliance has helped in that we now eliminate the thousands of scams, spam, and malware emails that are destined for our users."
  • "Two improvements that are needed include an enhancement in the proxy feature, as well as the ability to more fully automate patches and updates."

What is our primary use case?

As a large organization, we require a powerful email spam filter and an email security gateway. This is our primary use case for Barracuda Email Security.

How has it helped my organization?

This appliance has helped in that we now eliminate the thousands of scams, spam, and malware emails that are destined for our users. It also helps if a user has deleted an external email by mistake because we can retrieve it from the appliance and re-send it to them.

What is most valuable?

The features that we find most valuable are spam and virus protection. Another is the protection against e-mail spooling. Also, if the email server experiences an outage then we can see the status of all spooled emails, and whether an email has been re-delivered.

Three to five years.

In my experience, this is a stable product.

Customer support is good. They act promptly in response to any issues or error.

We did not use another solution in the past.

The initial setup for this appliance is not complex. It is very easy to configure and deploy.

We used a vendor team to implement this solution the first time, and we found them to be very capable with a very high level of expertise.

The price of this solution is very high, but it's working fine.

We did not evaluate options other than this one.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to secure your network then you must acquire a spam filter and virus firewall. In my opinion, Barracuda is the best choice.

TA
Network Manager with 1-10 employees
Filters through our emails and blocks threats that would've previously come through to our network

• "Before this solution, we didn't have any separate feature for protecting our emails. We used to only have a firewall but now we have email security. It has a graphical interface and we can see the log every time. We can see that the performance is fine."
  • "We had an incident where we didn't want to receive any emails or spam from a certain site and email address. We selected the mail ID, and we send it to Barracuda for analysis to see if it's spam or something like that. As of now, we haven't gotten any update or notification as to what happened with it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this as our email security gateway for the protection of the emails.

How has it helped my organization?

Before this solution, we didn't have any separate feature for protecting our emails. We used to only have a firewall but now we have email security. It has a graphical interface and we can see the log every time. We can see that the performance is fine.

What is most valuable?

The complete filtering feature for all of the emails is valuable for us. It filters all of the emails. There are lots of attacks that come to our network through emails and it does a good job of blocking that.

What needs improvement?

We had an incident where we didn't want to receive any emails or spam from a certain site and email address. We selected the mail ID, and we send it to Barracuda for analysis to see if it's spam or something like that. As of now, we haven't gotten any update or notification as to what happened with it.

I would like to see there be better implementation.

Compared to web stability, email stability is better.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. The set up is not too complicated. The deployment only took a few hours.

We used a consultant who is partners with Barracuda for the deployment.

License prices are okay.

What other advice do I have?

We have 250 - 300 users.

This product is good more any medium-sized company that uses email.

I would rate it an 8.5 out of ten. Not a ten because there is room to improve. They can do more with their R&D.

JK
Technology and Information Systems Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Blocks emails and they will resolve which ones need to be released so long as there's no malware in them

• "With the cloud service, one of the nice things about Barracuda is the quarantine service. It gives the ability for our users to go in and check what has been quarantined, and then connect with our IT staff to release anything that should be fine so that we can test it before we release."
  • "There's a bit of configuration work that's needed with the DNS service provider, but other than that, everything else should be very smooth."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is really for spam and malware, in and out of the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Barracuda will block emails, then they talk to my support people and they resolve which ones they need to release, as long as there's no malware or anything in them. On the cloud service, each user can go in and release their own emails, but it still gets tested before. The only ones that are released are the ones that have nothing that's considered to be dangerous, containing spam information or malware. They can release a mass email that is clean.

What is most valuable?

With the cloud service, one of the nice things about Barracuda is the quarantine service. It gives the ability for our users to go in and check what has been quarantined, and then connect with our IT staff to release anything that should be fine so that we can test it before we release.

More than five years.

Stability is very good. We haven't had any issues in terms of downtime or anything as yet since we got the service.

For our needs, it's definitely very scalable. They have much larger organizations on that service as well. Everyone in my organization uses it. All my email goes through a filtering process.

Their technical support is very good.

We did the research and looked at what we wanted to do. At that point in time, Barracuda was the most effective solution.

The initial setup was straightforward and very easy. It was easy in terms of the cloud service. As part of the process, they walked us through the implementation and the migration from our on-prem appliance to the cloud service. A lot of our rules and all that we had tied up, made on our on-prem appliance, they migrated it over to the cloud service, so we didn't really have to do too much in terms of setup. The entire deployment took around a week by the time we tested everything out.

We first set up a small group to test it out first to make sure everything seemed to be working the way it should be. Once we were convinced that everything was fine, we ran the two services in parallel, one behind the other. When we were happy with the way things were running, we turned off the appliance and went full tilt with the cloud service.

It requires one person who does part-time maintenance because there's really not much to do once you apply this.

We worked with the onboarding team at Barracuda.

For overall value and cost, Barracuda came in as most appropriate, price as well as services provided. In terms of price, it's average . It's not the most expensive, it's not the least expensive but it works well.

What other advice do I have?

We never had an issue with Barracuda. It worked flawlessly. Updates were regularly downloaded on the appliance itself, and we would get an email saying that the latest version is there and they would ask if we wanted to install it. Then my administrator would go in and check it out and install the application service. It did it automatically and there was always a backup process. The support was very good with them as well if we ran into any difficulties, so that wasn't an issue.

I would advise someone considering this or a similar solution to make sure that you know all of the email domains that you have within the organization. Make sure that they are set up. There's a bit of configuration work that's needed with the DNS service provider, but other than that, everything else should be very smooth. The team at Barracuda helps walk you through the process and the pitfalls as well.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. There are two more portions that we haven't implemented yet. It's really just apply and forget. It does the work itself. We've had some times when certain things come through, but once we apply the proper whitelisting or blacklisting, we get it all sorted out again. Spam and all that are moving targets as well.

Syed Ubaid Ali Jafri
Manager Security Operation Center at Engro Corporation
We have evaluated more than eight products of known vendors, and out of eight, we decided on this one.

What is most valuable?

The Anomaly-based spam detection is a very good feature of Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall, since it not only keeps track of the Anomalies, but also protects and notifies any illegitimate attachments, content, as well as the suspicious source from which an email is arriving/contained in the email.

Another important feature that organizations are looking for is the Integration with LDAP and Active Directory. This Device has a capability to easily integrate with the AD connected with the Exchange environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Based on a true case, we had been receiving emails from different countries on a bulk scale containing malware.

Before the installation of Barracuda, we were only able to identify the threat on the Endpoint level, but after installing the Spam Filter, it keeps track of each and every activity done in an email.

What needs improvement?

Two things:

1) The backup and recovery of the rule set stored in the device.

2) In denial of service condition, the events-per-second flow creates little jerk in term of delay.

When we are considering the enterprise security, we are interested in adding the additional controls in the environment. Barracuda device has a weak distinction‎ in its backup and recovery

Let me share a practical example: We have a Barracuda installed in a primary and backup location, it's difficult to include the exact configuration of a primary device to backup device, it has a time constraint ‎and effort based work. This area should be considered, as Barracuda has established their good appearance in the market.

Another area that should be considered for improvement ‎is the constant DoS attacks and bulk messages in the form of spam appearance on the device.

In a case of denial, condition on a ratio of 1200 to 1800 events per second would downgrade the performance of the device.

This was my practical role in testing the capability of this device, apart from the above two areas of improvement, this device has marvelous results in term of capacity, content, sources, and attachments.

I've used this solution for two years.

Not yet.

Not yet.

Best.

Lack of technical support and very delayed responses in the case of an incident.

Straightforward, even easy to install.

Pricing options should be considered by the Barracuda management, as per country market research. They should consider the economy and the country-technology ratio.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest implementing Barracuda Spam, because this solution has a multi-factor threat analysis engine, which other products don't have.

Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Barracuda Email Security Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.