Barracuda Essentials OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Essentials is #3 ranked solution in top Email Archiving tools, #3 ranked solution in top Office 365 Protection tools, and #17 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. IT Central Station users give Barracuda Essentials an average rating of 8 out of 10. Barracuda Essentials is most commonly compared to Barracuda Sentinel:Barracuda Essentials vs Barracuda Sentinel. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Barracuda Essentials?

Barracuda Essentials enables customers to safely, efficiently, and economically adopt Office 365 by protecting users from dangerous ransomware and phishing attacks. It minimizes downtime, ensuring compliance retention, and enabling recovery of Exchange Online, OneDrive and Sharepoint Online data giving users peace of mind and complete protection in their Office 365 environment.

Download the Email Archiving Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Barracuda Essentials Customers
ACT Government, Acumen Group, AGIP, Delta Dental Plans Association, Desai/Nasr Consulting Engineers, Inc., Equinox Information Systems
Barracuda Essentials Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Essentials pricing:
  • "We pay annually. They never charged us for anything else. And they were quite a bit under that $20,000 mark. It was $19,074. And they've been pretty good about not skyrocketing the price or anything like that. It has gone up. It's gone up to $24,000 in 2020."
  • "The price of Barracuda Essentials is better than some of the competing products."

Barracuda Essentials Reviews

Brian Lippold
Network Administrator at BROCKPORT CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
Set-it-and-forget-it type of product that doesn't require a lot of management

• "We now have a secondary backup of Office 365 that's much easier to retrieve compared to Microsoft. If someone deletes something in Office 365, we can get it back within Office 365, but it's difficult. Barracuda is much easier. There is a lot less management needed using Barracuda. The management becomes much easier for Office 365 and it's no longer on-prem, so there are fewer hours managing on-prem devices, servers, and things of that nature. We don't have network appliances anymore for the backup of our information."
  • "Sometimes it is somewhat laggy, especially on the Archiver side. It should have improved performance on their Message Archiver."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to back up our Office 365. It also comes with email security and the Message Archiver. Our Office 365 backup is probably the most important piece and the Message Archiver is the second most important piece. It archives every email that comes in, it's not a backup type of an archive. You can use it for a backup, but it doesn't put it in folders, it's not for restoring someone's mailbox. It's just for searching for emails in case there's some type of litigation that requires us to retrieve someone's email messages.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have a secondary backup of Office 365 that's much easier to retrieve compared to Microsoft. If someone deletes something in Office 365, we can get it back within Office 365, but it's difficult. Barracuda is much easier. There is a lot less management needed using Barracuda. The management becomes much easier for Office 365 and it's no longer on-prem, so there are fewer hours managing on-prem devices, servers, and things of that nature. We don't have network appliances anymore for the backup of our information.

What is most valuable?

The Archiver has been the most useful for me. And that's mostly because I'm the one that's involved in retrieving messages when they're looking into something suspicious. It has been very useful. I have restored backups of Office 365, where people have deleted things from their accounts, so that's been very useful too. And it's a cloud-to-cloud backup from our Office 365 cloud to Barracuda's cloud.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it is somewhat laggy, especially on the Archiver side. It should have improved performance on their Message Archiver.

We've been using Barracuda Essentials for four years.

We've been running Barracuda Essentials for about four years now, and we've never had an issue with them up until just a few weeks ago. We had a problem with the Archiver. They had some technical issue, and we weren't able to get into our Message Archiver and it wasn't journaling the email. We were getting alerts from Office 365. That only lasted for part of a day. That was the only time that we ever saw any downtime. I'm not saying that there's never been any downtime for us, but not anything that was impeding us from getting to our data except for that time. I would rate them as excellent because, over the four years that we've been with them, that's the only time that we had an issue.

Being that it's in the cloud, it's very scalable. With Office 365, my understanding is that our amount of backup is unlimited. On the Message Archiver, we have four terabytes and if we want it to scale up, it's just a matter of asking them for more space. Obviously, we'd have to pay for it, but at least the scalability is just a matter of purchasing more space. It's very scalable.

There are five users. One of my coworkers deals with restoring backups. If someone has accidentally lost some documentation or some type of files in their Office 365, he will restore it for them. A couple of us have done that from time to time. There are a couple of us that deal with retrieving messages from the Message Archiver emails, either for some type of litigation that might be going on, or if someone has deleted an email, we can have it re-sent to them. Some of us deal with restoring backups and others of us deal with providing emails for litigation or restoring emails.

The backups and Message Archiver are ongoing every day. I would say we utilize it probably once or twice a week and I doubt that would change in the future. So as far as us accessing the information, like restoring a backup or looking up emails, it only happens about once or twice a week at the most.

We haven't had to contact them often. I would give them an eight out of ten. They have good support. I do remember calling them in the past more when we had their appliance, but we have contacted them a couple of times and they seemed to have good support.

We used Unitrends for on-prem backup. We had a lot of hard drive failures with that unit. And so we switched to Barracuda Backup. From the Barracuda Backup, we switched to Barracuda Essentials. The reason we switched from Unitrends is there were just too many hard drive failures.

The initial setup was somewhat complex, especially on the Office 365 cloud to cloud backup. But they did have extremely good instruction, so even though it was somewhat complex, it was well-documented. So in the end there were several steps, but it was easy to navigate through those steps because of the documentation that Barracuda provided.

The deployment was done over days because we had on the email security side, there was documentation for that, and then documentation on the Office 365 backup. It took approximately five days for us to implement it. We probably could have implemented it a little bit quicker if our time was spent solely on Barracuda, but we have other things that we deal with too. I know we finished it in about a week's time. I would say that it took five business days to complete.

We didn't have a meeting about it and decide how to go about implementing it. We just began it and finished it within a week's time. We really didn't have a strategy on how to implement it. We implemented it in-house without involving a third party or involving Barracuda. They probably have their support for implementing things. Normally companies have a division that you pay for the support outside of your typical support for implementation but we didn't do that.

When we started with it, I think they were eager to get people in, but we only had $20,000 in our budget for backup, so that's all we had to work with and I told the sales rep that. They kept it in line. They came in, I think just pennies under $20,000, which was pretty good.

It was pretty good because other solutions were much higher and that included two terabytes of space for message archiving. And if I remember correctly Office 365 Cloud Backup was unlimited.

It seemed to be a package deal. It was a package deal because we had a price that we needed to stay under and they worked on getting to that price.

We pay annually. They never charged us for anything else. And they were quite a bit under that $20,000 mark. It was $19,074. And they've been pretty good about not skyrocketing the price or anything like that. It has gone up. It's gone up to $24,000 in 2020.

We looked at Veeam at the time. And we stayed away from Veeam because at the time they just did virtual servers. They were starting to do physical servers, but without paid support, you had to email people at the time. It was free support, but it was through email or something like that. So we stayed away from them until they fully supported physical machines. We use Veeam also for our on-prem VMs. So we no longer use Barracuda for virtual machines. We use Veeam for virtual machines.

Our virtual environment and our Office 365 environment are two very different products. And we like what Veeam provides us for the virtual environment, so I don't see us moving away from Veeam. We like Barracuda Essentials for Office 365, but we like Veeam for the virtual environment. So I think we'll end up having two solutions for that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to follow closely with Barracuda's implementation documentation. It's very thorough. They don't need to utilize a third party for implementation because it is straightforward using their documentation.

We were only backing up data prior to Barracuda Essentials for a month and a user lost their data but didn't realize it until after a month had passed. So the lesson that I learned is that it's better to keep backups for at least a year, just to make sure that we're able to retrieve things when people are not aware that they even lost their data.

I would rate them a nine out of ten because their product is a set-it-and-forget-it type of product. We really don't have to spend time managing the product or calling for support.

HirenShah
Director at Dynamic Computer Services
Easy to use and automatically adapts to changes in requirements

• "The most valuable features are security and ease of use."
  • "I would like to see some additional functionality in terms of employee monitoring, as part of a work-from-home security solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Barracuda Essentials is one of the security products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and ease of use.

This solution adapts to changes as required, which is important.

It is easy to customize compared to other products.

What needs improvement?

The email encryption could be improved.

I would like to see some additional functionality in terms of employee monitoring, as part of a work-from-home security solution. It would make the protection and capability more comprehensive.

We have been working with Barracuda Essentials for about a year.

I have been using this product and it is quite stable.

It is a scalable solution. We support about 60 people who are using it, of which one or two are administrators and the remainder are end-users.

The technical support is good and we have not had any challenges with them.

Prior to Barracuda, we worked with Symantec Email Security. After this, we tried Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection. We found Barracuda to be more efficient, easy to use, and customizable. Cost-wise, it is also better.

The initial setup is straightforward and it can be completed within a few hours.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I recommend.

Download our free Email Archiving Report and find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Veritas, N-able, and more!