Barracuda Web Application Firewall Overview

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure Application Gateway: Barracuda Web Application Firewall vs Microsoft Azure Application Gateway

What is Barracuda Web Application Firewall?

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is the ideal solution for organizations looking to protect web applications from data breaches and defacement. With the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, administrators do not need to wait for clean code or even know how an application works to secure their applications. Organizations can ensure robust security with a Barracuda Web Application Firewall hardware or virtual appliance, deployed either on-premises or in the cloud.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Customers
Oracle, CBS, Pioneer, Hyundai, Publix, Barnes Noble, Calzedonia, Nordstrom, Samsung, Nascar
Barracuda Web Application Firewall Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Web Application Firewall pricing:
  • "Barracuda costs us $8,000 per year. Barracuda costs $20,000 for a full subscription, when you try to protect multi-site infrastructure, in different geographical zones and for different data centers. If you have only one site, Barracuda will be cheaper."
  • "Our licensing fees are paid annually and the cost is between €600 and €800 (approximately $665.00 to $885.00 USD)."

Igor-Bashtovyi
Security Engineer at a tech services company
Gives an understanding of what is happening on your site and any attempts on your source

What is our primary use case?

We use this as public cloud and a virtual appliance based on Azure Cloud.

• "It's very simple and predictable, because Barracuda provides a vision of the current state of your application. It gives you an understanding of what is happening on your site and any attempts against you at your source. This is the main value that Web Application Firewall provides our company. These aspects are also the main reason for this documentation process."
  • "I think the main area for improvement in this product is learning it, as can be seen when comparing it to the F5 web application firewall. F5 has a very powerful learning phase when you start using your web application firewall against your site. Barracuda has something like this, but not with the same functionality from my point of view."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I learned is that our site is attacked every day. I would recommend Barracuda, but this recommendation is based on our particular case. For some cases this solution is good, but for some cases it's not. It's very hard to answer directly because of all the aspects that should be taken into account when you try to answer this question. I would rate it as eight out of ten.
AB
Chief Information Security Officer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and stable with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

Typically these web application firewalls act as an additional layer primarily for traffic. The web application firewalls are more of a safeguard if a company still has legacy technologies, for which they don't have the patches. It's basically used for the protection and security of web applications.

• "The solution has been quite stable. It's reliable."
  • "The solution needs to leverage some additional features to a broader scale of software-defined networks."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. Typically, we keep updating our infrastructure, and therefore, we are likely using the latest version of the solution, however, I do not have the version number on-hand. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, we've been quite satisfied with the capabilities of this product. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Web Application Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DP
Especialista en Informática at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with good security and a fairly straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

The solution is our WAF for Azure. It is for operation for Transit CAS applications.

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward, especially if you enlist assistance."
  • "We've had some blocks of the application and some false positives."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a transportation company. We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Barracuda. I recommend the solution to other organizations for protecting applications specifically in Azure. Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
SolomonAwosina
CTO at GCET
Fantastic backend support and is easy to deploy

• "The stability of the solution is good. I don't think we've experienced bugs, crashes, or glitches."
  • "The reporting aspect of the solution needs improvement. I don't find that it's very good. They could do some work on it to make it much better. It's not that the reporting isn't secure. It's just that I would prefer to store my reports for an extended period of time. Right now, that's not possible and I'd prefer it if that could change. I also would say that the reports themselves are expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I used to be a customer before, however, now I am partners with Barracuda. We use both on-premises and public cloud deployment models. Overall, I'd give the solution a nine out of ten. I'd give it full marks, but it does have issues on the reporting side. The reports are a lot more expensive, even more so than the work itself. That's why I did not give it a 10. That said, I would recommend Barracuda Firewalls to anybody, any day of the week. They're fantastic.
SolomonAwosina
CTO at GCET
Simple to manage and use, with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

I am a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that I implement for my customers.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the simplicity of configuration."
  • "I would like to see an improved capacity to store logs so that they will be available for a longer time."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend Barracuda because of its simplicity. I know that they are now integrating the Web Application Firewall on Prime, in the cloud, as well. The only thing that is a challenge for me is storage, which limits my reporting. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Muhammed-Shafi
Presales Solutions Architect at Hilal Computers
Good technical support and security features but needs better documentation

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to secure most data centers. We also use it for mobile apps for malicious automated attacks.

• "The solution offers multiple security features. There are machine learning features and great URL encryption. It also offers multi-protocol support against DDoS attacks."
  • "The documentation is lacking. It's not like what you'd get if you were using Juniper or Cisco. They need to expand on it and make it more useful."

What other advice do I have?

We're a solution partner, an integrator. We have partnership-level agreements with the solution. We have multiple deployment models. We use it on-premises as well as on the cloud using both Amazon Web Services and Azure. Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It would be hard for any product to rate a ten out of ten for me. However, to get a bit of a higher mark, it should offer better documentation and be more user-friendly, particularly where deployment is concerned. I'd still recommend Barracuda, though. It's pretty solid.
Carlo Bertini
IT Consultant and Project Manager at Cabar Srl
Secure Internet Access with automatic content filtering

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as the firewall, the security, secure internet access, and protection from outside access.

• "The most valuable feature is the automatic content filtering."
  • "The usability of the interface could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

One of my previous colleagues suggested this solution, they advised me of the company and the technologies. I would recommend this solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Wealie Antar
Manager, Systems, Information Technology at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's easy to set up but they should improve their performance, support, and their upgrades

• "You don't need help from Barracuda to help with the deployment. The deployment is easy."
  • "They could improve their performance, support, and their upgrades. Their updates used to be good. Their improvements were right on the money but nowadays, the updates are minor."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a five out of ten. My advice would be to explore the market. There are many good players. If a solution is on the higher side, it could be a better investment.
See 4 more Barracuda Web Application Firewall Reviews
Download our free Barracuda Web Application Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.