Barracuda Web Application Firewall Overview

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure Application Gateway: Barracuda Web Application Firewall vs Microsoft Azure Application Gateway

What is Barracuda Web Application Firewall?

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is the ideal solution for organizations looking to protect web applications from data breaches and defacement. With the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, administrators do not need to wait for clean code or even know how an application works to secure their applications. Organizations can ensure robust security with a Barracuda Web Application Firewall hardware or virtual appliance, deployed either on-premises or in the cloud.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Customers
Oracle, CBS, Pioneer, Hyundai, Publix, Barnes Noble, Calzedonia, Nordstrom, Samsung, Nascar
Barracuda Web Application Firewall Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Hamza Ahmed
Assistant to the General Manager at a tech services company with self employed
Attacks have stopped and all of the traffic is going smoothly to my servers

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to protect from DDoS attacks and to protect my backend servers. That was the main concern for me. Barracuda has been very good. I'm very happy with the product.

• "The volumetric DDoS defense is very good because I had a problem with a lot of volumetric DDoS attacks on my servers. After using Barracuda, those attacks have stopped and all the traffic is going smoothly to my servers and the system is working really well."
  • "I would like to see better controlling of the traffic."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. The attacks that we used to get on servers are gone. My servers are now running 24-7 and I have no problems with them.
Alireza Ghahrood
Consultant & Instructor -Cyber Security,GovernanceRIskCompliance (CISO as a Services) at Independent
Strong updating features but the tech support is weak

What is our primary use case?

The updating and signature features are my primary use case for the solution. These features are beneficial to my organization.

What needs improvement?

I would like this solution to be more detective of the needs of the organization.

I encountered issues with the stability of the product.

I encountered issues with scalability.

I would rate the level of tech support a six out of ten.

I would suggest that someone implementing this product is knowledgeable in the IT field and with the network needs.…
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Web Application Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JB
Director of Systems Infrastructure at a tech vendor
Allows us to scale out to multiple phase servers

What is our primary use case?

We use it for low balancing phase servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to scale out to multiple phase servers. It is a great product. We are very pleased with it.

What is most valuable?

It works exactly by design. It works very well.

There are no stability issues.

There are no scalability issues.

Their technical support is great.

If you are a networking guy, the initial setup is straightforward. If you know nothing about networks, then you can't set it up.

They have…
NN
IT Security Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We run it with no downtime, because it has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use it for mail protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped the organizational function because we do not have an application hosted product.

What is most valuable?

It mainly provides good support, and it is a good web application for us.

It is not stable nor mature, though it is not a problem for us.

We have had scalability issues. However, since we do not have that many applications, it is not an issue for us.

Technical support is very good.

it_user848259
Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Give us visibility into server connections/sessions, real-time alerts, KPIs

What is our primary use case?

I have two primary use cases, one for a bank and the other one for an operator. I will speak about the bank case. The environment is very critical: securing an e-banking server and SMS banking.

• "This product gives us visibility into what is going on in two servers, including connections and sessions, real-time alerts, very good reporting, and KPIs. It makes managing security of a critical server very easy, with a friendly GUI."
  • "There is no one special feature, but the WAF itself is valuable: user-friendly protection against web attacks etc., authentication, reporting, accountability, alerting, and hardened OS."
  • "This product could easily progress to be among the industry leaders. I think they need to improve enterprise level automation. It integrates with a small number of vulnerability scanners, so report results should be imported manually; same for SIEM integration."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 10 out of 10 because all requirements from a product are there: very good performance, robust equipment, pentest/vul scan success, very good support. The cost to value ratio is tops. If you have a limited budget it’s the best, and if you have an open budget why spend more since BWAF can do the job.
it_user1194
Head of Infrastructure at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very good Web Application filter to protect your web applications from various hacker exploits

What other advice do I have?

One of the best Web Application Filters to protect your web applications, like FTP, Microsoft Outlook Access, Sharepoint, etc. from hackers. Ease of integration, with various 2-factor authentication systems, is one of the highly sought after features. It needs improvement in the way that it handles various SSL enabled sites.
Download our free Barracuda Web Application Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.