BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Remote Access tools. It is most often compared to WALLIX Bastion: BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access vs WALLIX Bastion

What is BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access?

BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access (formerly Bomgar Privileged Access) lets you secure, manage, and audit vendor and internal remote privileged access without a VPN.

Privileged Remote Access provides visibility and control over third-party vendor access, as well as internal remote access, enabling your organization to extend access to important assets, but without compromising security.

Features include:

- Privileged Access Control: Enforce least privilege by giving users the right level of access.

- Monitor Sessions: Control and monitor sessions using standard protocols for RDP, VNC, HTTP/S, and SSH connections.

- Reduce the Attack Surface: Reduce attacks by consolidating the tracking, approval, and auditing of privileged accounts in one place and by creating a single access pathway.

- Integrate with Password Management: Inject credentials directly into servers and systems with just one click, so users never need to know or see plain text credentials.

- Mobile & Web Consoles: Use mobile apps or web-based consoles anytime, anywhere.

- Audit & Compliance: Create audit trails, session forensics, and other reporting features by capturing detailed session data in real-time or post- session review, and provide attestation reports to prove compliance.

BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access is also known as Bomgar Privileged Access.

Download the Remote Access Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access Customers

Horizon Beverage, Air Liquide, Gateway Bank of Florida

BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access Video

BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access Reviews

RH
CEO at a security firm with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Great integration capabilities with excellent support and very good ROI

• "The scalability is excellent."
  • "They could probably integrate a wizard or something like that to add a new use case. It could be something that makes it easier to add a new use case."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Privileged Remote Access. The primary use case is to let the suppliers connect in a very, very secure way on privileged endpoints and internal privilege endpoints or internal operators, probably from Azure. They operate something in the Azure cloud, and that's a very secure way to connect to the Azure cloud.

What is most valuable?

It's one of the most secure products in the market.

They have very good support. They have really have great support.

It's everything that we need. It's like a Swiss knife. We can do everything with that to produce what we need for Privileged Remote Access reasons.

Every three to six months they bring new features like processes, access processes, and things like that, which are unique in the market. I have not seen other solutions offering what they offer.

The documentation is really great. It's cool. You can download all the documentation you need at any time. They've done it in a great way.

The API is great and we can automate anything that we need with the product.

If you know what you are doing, it's not a difficult setup.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is excellent.

The solution offers many great integrations.

What needs improvement?

I cannot say that the solution is lacking any features. It has everything we need right now.

They could probably integrate a wizard or something like that to add a new use case. It could be something that makes it easier to add a new use case. That's something they could probably improve. I'm not sure about this, however, as the direction is anyway going more and more in the direction of automation. That said, for a beginner customer who is starting from scratch, probably a wizard would be a good feature to add.

The on-premises version is not as easy to set up as a cloud deployment,

We've used the solution for about five years. We started using it pretty much from the moment it came out. We have worked with the solution for a while. We've benn BeyondTrust resellers, however, for 15 years.

It's got great stability. It's really great. In all the 15 years I used the remote support solution, and the five years we used the PRA solution, we never have seen an unstable situation with any of the components of the product. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. You can do a worldwide rollout of the product. This is an Enterprise product, and so the scalability allows you to expand over multiple countries, over multiple locations, with their technology.

The company is best suited to enterprise level organizations - specifically medium and large ones.

They have really great support. If you have to call, for example, someone at Microsoft, you need to wait in a queue about 30 minutes, or here in Switzerland, some companies, have outsourced the support to other countries. Then you have to wait in a queue and wait for a person which is helping you. At BeyondTrust in all these 15 years, normally you have a wait of one or two minutes, and almost immediately you have a person in the chat, which helps you, and a competent person. They are very quick and very responsive.

This is an on-premise product. You cannot really compare with the other products from the cloud, which you just click and then work. There is a setup process, and you need an admin with a certification. It's not so easy, however, if you have the right guys in place, then it's no problem.

Normally, anyway, this is an Enterprise product, and in the company, you have a person which is administrating this product. BeyondTrust is an Enterprise solution, and therefore, you have to do some kind of rollout as well.

Typically, users will see an ROI within about a year or so. It gives you the best tool to your employees they can have in that area. And therefore the return of investment comes very fast.

The pricing depends on the model you choose. You can have it as a cloud version or you can have it as an on-premise version and therefore the prices vary. The initial costs are normally a little bit higher than with other products, however, after two or three years, it's a bargain. It's just that the initial cost is a little bit higher. That said, due to the functionality it gives to your team, the return of investment comes very fast.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller, not an end-user.

While we do use different deployment models, many of our clients are government-related and therefore we deal a lot with on-premises deployments.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's definitely on the upper level, well above what else is available.

I would recommend that those considering using the solution do a certification course similar to when you install Windows server or something like that from Microsoft where you can become a Microsoft certified professional, and you can attend a class and then you can do an exam about the product.

I recommend that a company which uses the product has also a certified admin. It makes it lot easier. That way, they can really profit from all the functionality the product has. The product has many functions however, you need to give it to a person with enough know-how. Otherwise, the company will not use all the features the product offers.

JL
IAM Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A simple, stable, and secure solution that is FIPS compliant and is easy and quick to deploy

• "Its security, simplicity, and ease of deployment and maintenance are the most valuable. It is FIPS compliant, so it goes through severe penetration testing every one year or two years. They have to maintain this compliance. It is very safe. Customers have been using it in the last eight years because of the simplicity of getting it deployed quickly. Most of the people using the solution had been hacked already, so they needed it quickly. As compared to the other solutions in the market, it can be turned on in production very quickly. You don't really need to have a server. It can be deployed very rapidly on VMware or Hyper-V, and you don't need to do an installation. It is a kind of an all-included package that you just deploy in a VM environment. It is basically a VM that is specifically built for a customer. The way the PRA data solutions work is that you need to build them for each customer because of being hard-coded with their SSL certificate, their web page name, and all that."
  • "It would be very nice if it has an enterprise vault. Currently, it can interact with Password Safe, which is a separate solution and equivalent to Thycotic Secret Server. Instead of having Password Safe as a separate entity, they should combine it with BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access. They have done it in some way, but it is not an enterprise tech solution."

What is our primary use case?

I have a hundred different use cases. They're all different because every customer is different. One of the top use cases is where a third-party vendor needs to internally access one of the servers or applications.

What is most valuable?

Its security, simplicity, and ease of deployment and maintenance are the most valuable. It is FIPS compliant, so it goes through severe penetration testing every one year or two years. They have to maintain this compliance. It is very safe.

Customers have been using it in the last eight years because of the simplicity of getting it deployed quickly. Most of the people using the solution had been hacked already, so they needed it quickly. As compared to the other solutions in the market, it can be turned on in production very quickly. You don't really need to have a server. It can be deployed very rapidly on VMware or Hyper-V, and you don't need to do an installation. It is a kind of an all-included package that you just deploy in a VM environment. It is basically a VM that is specifically built for a customer. The way the PRA data solutions work is that you need to build them for each customer because of being hard-coded with their SSL certificate, their web page name, and all that.

What needs improvement?

It would be very nice if it has an enterprise vault. Currently, it can interact with Password Safe, which is a separate solution and equivalent to Thycotic Secret Server. Instead of having Password Safe as a separate entity, they should combine it with BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access. They have done it in some way, but it is not an enterprise tech solution.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It is very stable. In eight years, I've never seen a bug.

Our clients are large businesses.

I used to work there. I know this stuff by heart, so I don't need to call them.

It is easy to set up. The complex part is to explain all the beneficial features and functionality to the customer because it can pretty much do everything. Discussing the environment and use cases is where you spend most of the time before you do the deployment.

Its deployment can be done very quickly. It can be deployed within 24 hours, which is useful if there is any hacking or breach. After that, you can add more complexity to it and configure it for a use case.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BeyondTrust Privileged Remote Access a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about BeyondTrust, Citrix, TeamViewer and others in Remote Access. Updated: September 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BrunoMassoutier
Head of Communications at Stadt Winterthur
A easy-to-use solution for providing multi-platform remote support

• "The most valuable feature is that this solution can be implemented regardless of the operating system."
  • "Changing your password should be simplified, and there should not be a charge for it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide remote authentication for a support system that we are providing. We have a data center with many different products that are based on Windows, Linux, and hardware appliances.

How has it helped my organization?

There are many different ways to configure this solution in order to provide what we need. Depending on the kind of system that we're supporting, we can directly access the server, and application, or even a web page.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that this solution can be implemented regardless of the operating system. It can be used with Microsoft, Linux, Unix, and Cisco, and we can use the same product to access every different service.

This solution is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

Changing your password should be simplified, and there should not be a charge for it. For every server that we are supporting, we have an administrator password to log in. This is for remote access and remote support, and we do not like to give this password to the local support people. I would like to be able to assign a dedicated password that can be used only for one day. There are other products that can do this.

We have been using this solution for one year.

We built this system with redundancy and we have never had a crash or any other problem with it.

We deal with a person from the vendor to handle our maintenance, and we never have to contact technical support directly. We are very happy with the support.

This initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

It is not very easy to implement because there are so many types of servers. It depends on the knowledge of the person. However, if it is properly defined then it is very simple to use.

The length of time for deployment depends on the implementation. If everything is known then it can take one to two hours. In other cases, it can take a week or two.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Remote Access
Download our free Remote Access Report and find out what your peers are saying about BeyondTrust, Citrix, TeamViewer, and more!