BigFix Overview

BigFix is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to SCCM: BigFix vs SCCM

What is BigFix?

HCL BigFix provides complete visibility and control into all endpoints through a single, collaborative endpoint management platform that enables IT/Security Operations to fully automate discovery, management and remediation of endpoints, whether they are on-prem or in the cloud, regardless of location or connectivity. BigFix bridges the gap between IT and Security Operations, drastically reducing remediation times and costs. With BigFix, enterprises can protect endpoints running Windows, UNIX, Linux, and macOS by achieving greater than 98% first-pass patch success rates and enabling continuous endpoint compliance. Unlike complex tools that cover a subset of endpoints and take days or weeks to remediate, BigFix can find and fix endpoints fast.

BigFix is also known as Tivoli Endpoint Manager.

BigFix Buyer's Guide

Download the BigFix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

BigFix Customers

US Foods, Penn State, St Vincent's Health US Foods, Sabadell Bank, SunTrust, Australia Sydney, Stemac, Capgemini, WNS Global Services, Jebsen & Jessen, CenterBeam, Strauss, Christian Hospital Centre, Brit Insurance, Career Education Corporation

BigFix Video

BigFix Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Informat76c6
Information Security Systems Specialist at a university with 10,001+ employees
Feb 27, 2019
Enabled us to have a highly successful endpoint patching program for the past decade

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for information security-related functions, like patching and threat detection.

• "It's enabled us to have a highly successful endpoint patching program for the past decade. It's been enormously successful there. It's also become a core part of many of our business processes, from compliance monitoring of endpoints, encryption management, key escrow, and local administrator password escrow. It's built into our inventory. It's very much everywhere."
  • "Around the scalability concern, I would like to see the ability to run teamed, clustered, or hierarchical root servers, in order to provide a more robust, high availability system. The single monolithic root server model does somewhat bother me."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a solid eight out of ten. It's definitely not better than that, because it has a lot of Legacy code, a lot of early design decisions that it's still limping along with. On the other hand, I haven't found anything better out there. There are other competing products in this space, but nothing has convinced me that there is any compelling reason to switch. A lot of the value that we've gotten comes from the people that we're involved with, and the relationships that we've built with the community and vendor over time. I haven't found something that has a better security design…
ITEngine2f5e
IT Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 26, 2019
Servers are patched more consistently than they have been previously but there should be improved integration of user security between different products

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for automated server patching. It integrates with our change management tool. It replaced SCCM for Windows.

• "Servers are patched more consistently than they have been previously."
  • "I would like to see the integration of user security between the different products to be improved. There's separate security for compliance, separate security for web reports, and the console, and you have to manage those things separately."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BigFix an eight out of ten. It's powerful, has low administrative overhead, it's reliable, and not too expensive. Not a ten because there's always room for improvement.
Learn what your peers think about BigFix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technica6700
Technical Lead at a university with 1-10 employees
Feb 26, 2019
Helps collect information on endpoints to assist my team in troubleshooting break/fix tickets but stability isn't always consistent

What is our primary use case?

I use BigFix to help collect information on endpoints to assist my team in troubleshooting break/fix tickets. I also use it to proactively create solutions for problems that come up and to help with patching of individual applications as well as for checking for compliance on an operating system level.

• "Being able to intelligently create reports, gather data, export CSVs and give that to the leadership of some of the client groups that my team supports has helped my organization."
  • "The stability is generally pretty good. The one thing that we came across is the battle between load on endpoints and load on our servers and relays versus how quickly, effectively and reliably actions can be taken. I'd like to not have to take an action on a system while I'm working with someone and then have to say whether something will happen between five seconds or thirty minutes from that point."

What other advice do I have?

My experience is that you can get really deep and detailed with this solution and the sky is the limit in terms of how complicated you can get if you're willing to dig in and spend the time to learn how BigFix works and invent some of your own processes.
Daniel-Mitchell
Senior Server Systems Enigineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 26, 2019
Enabled us to reduce compliance reporting from about 100 hours per server to less than six

What is our primary use case?

We use BigFix as our primary automation platform. We use it to tie in disparate tasks and services that we need to apply to our servers. We use it for patching, reporting, and compliance.

• "We are able to use BigFix through API connections to automate and reduce resources and time. The product's been great for us. It's increased the security posture ten-fold and it's increased our visibility across our endpoints enormously."
  • "I would like to see API connectivity, built-in API connectors to the standard toolsets, whether it's for your ServiceNow or your Qualys. More API connectivity to make it easier to integrate to other tools."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a ten out of ten. It's worked for what we wanted. It's provided one screen to look across different OSs. It's also provided speed and flexibility. We're able to integrate it to all of our tools, do things to other servers and automate things that aren't done on one platform. My advice to someone considering this solution would be to find a tool that can span as many OSs as possible. If you're using three different patching tools to approach three different OSs, you're probably lost.
BigFixBrad
Engineer with 10,001+ employees
Feb 26, 2019
Drastically reduced the maintenance window period to patch and reboot servers

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the automation of patch compliance.

• "BigFix has drastically reduced the maintenance window period to patch and reboot servers."
  • "I would like to see a web UI SDK so we could take what is provided currently and be able to build our own customized web UI for particular customers that want to sell service."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a ten out of ten. It hasn't changed much since it's inception, so it's a superior product and it's just going to get better with the expansion of the API endpoint security and WebUI. If you're considering BigFix, you should look deeper than just what's on the retail box of patch and compliance and software distribution. Look at the platform, what it can do on the back, and the relevance language, and the reporting capabilities. There's a lot more to this that you can use in your DevOps org to accomplish automation tasks.
Technica91c3
Technical Engineer at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Feb 26, 2019
Tremendously reduced the amount of work that we had to do on each server in a centralized manner

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for endpoint management.

• "Prior to BigFix we used Altiris, which was distributed. We had to manage multiple servers, and duplicate the tasks that we did on each server. BigFix tremendously reduced the amount of work that we had to do on each server in a centralized manner. We could minimize the work that we had to do, and we had a lot more control over the tasks and what machines they ran on."
  • "I would like to see for it to be a little easier for new users to be able to learn and create relevant statements. In my opinion, that's the hardest part for bringing on new people that haven't had BigFix experience. Being able to have easier ways to build relevance in ActionScript would be the biggest improvement I'd like to see."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the training aspect of getting new users up and going on the technology. That would be the only downfall because it does take quite a bit of time to train new users. As far as the power, it's by far the best. If you're considering BigFix look at the power that it allows you to have visibility into your system. If you don't have visibility into your systems, it takes a lot longer to get something resolved. Whereas if you can instantly get that information back from your client that's having a problem, being able to know that that issue…
ProductLfae0
Product Line Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 26, 2019
Enables us to keep systems up to date, deploy new drivers, and find the information we need in the case of security incidents

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for compliance management, patching, and security configuration management.

• "It allows us to quickly deploy capabilities that we need, whether it be security or non-security. We use it to keep systems up to date, deploy new drivers, find the information we need in the case of security incidents. The capability allows us to gather a lot of information very quickly and it also allows us to have a centralized reporting feature and a centralized deployment capability which is nice."
  • "The scalability of the web UI product doesn't scale to the size that we need for our implementation so it needs to expand. I would also like to see the capability to develop on the back of the web UI capability. There are lots of web features and integrations that we could do with web UI that it would be nice to be able to put on top of what's already there, rather than waiting for IBM to develop what we need."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven or eight out of ten. The pain points that we have are particular to us just because of the size of our implementation, the number of endpoints, etc. Overall, I think it's a great product and a product that most people would really get a lot of benefit out of. The things that we struggle with are things that are particular to our organization. If you're considering this solution, get involved with the user community early, make relationships with the development organizations, learn how you can advocate for yourself. User group kind of things are the best way to learn…
Securitye35b
Security Engineer at a university with 1-10 employees
Feb 26, 2019
Enables us to immediately patch all instances of endpoints that are vulnerable to antivirus and initiate scans

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for endpoint patching and to deply operating system level patches to seventy-five thousand plus Mac and Windows endpoints.

• "Before we had BigFix, we had problems with some malware. BigFix allows us to immediately patch all instances of endpoints that were vulnerable to antivirus and initiate scans. That's key."
  • "I want to see a solution for being able to deploy automated software to a Mac running OS X 10.13, something that's going to deal with kernel exceptions and answering prompts for user permissions for data folders and whatnot. They need to really streamline and automate the Mac software deployment."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BigFix a ten out of ten. It has saved me so much time in patching alone. The capabilities it gives me for very granular targeting of endpoints based on whatever criteria that I can come up with is great. It is very simply a tool that can do just about anything. There is always room for improvement. I want to see better capability in Mac software deployments. Apple changed some of their policies, so I'd like to see BigFix get up to speed with that. I would advise someone considering this solution to jump heavily into the community features. The BigFix forums are fantastic, we have…
reviewer1014810
System Administrator at a university with 10,001+ employees
Feb 26, 2019
Enables us to make sure that we're not leaving ourselves vulnerable to exploits

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for security patching and application patching.

• "From a security standpoint, it allows us to make sure that we're not leaving ourselves vulnerable to exploits and things like that. That's the biggest advantage that we see to the product from a security standpoint."
  • "I would like to see more custom content."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BigFix an eight or nine. We've been using it for a really long time and we're happy customers. I would advise someone considering BigFix to split it up and compare it to what you're looking at. You'll see that it can do more than other competitors.
BigFixAdcb76
BigFix Admin at a university with 10,001+ employees
Feb 26, 2019
We went from patching thousands of machines by twenty to thirty people to one person

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for patch management, software distribution, inventory, and power management.

• "We are able to go from patching thousands of machines by twenty to thirty people to one person."
  • "I would like better support on the backend."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an 8.5 out of ten. BigFix has a great community, there's a lot of people that believe in it, it's whatever they advertise, and they listen to customers' feedback. We are heavily on-prem and with BigFix we have that option of staying on-prem.
BigFixAddb6e
BigFix Admin / Win SysAdmin at Costco Wholesale
Feb 26, 2019
We can grant access via role base depending on department status from a single console

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for the server side patching and compliance remediation. We use it for all of Windows server patching, remediation, vulnerability scanning, and inventory management of IBM licensing.

• "Between the user groups, the community, the AVP support, the direct access via technical route and the PMR support, half the time I don't even need to do a formal PMR because the solutions from the community resolve whatever issues we're having. It's the best community and support based system I've ever used."
  • "I'd like to see better integration, with the different applications within BigFix. Instead of sometimes feeling like four or five different applications, they need to be integrated a little better within themselves."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. An eight because of the stability and the ease of use. Not a ten because I'm looking for more modernization, but I do have to give the BigFix community credit because they seem to listen to us. I would advise someone considering this solution to talk to the community. Talk to the BigFix users, ask their honest opinion on what they think is good and bad about it.
Fernando Martinez
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 25, 2019
Helped us to identify the compliance of devices and has also improved the way that we manage our software inventory

What is our primary use case?

We use BigFix to manage Windows and Mac OS. We also use it for deploying patches and software across the company.

• "BigFix helped us to identify the compliance of devices and has also improved the way that we manage our software inventory for reporting to vendors."
  • "I would like to see improvements in the Web UI program and also a BigFix console for Mac OS."

What other advice do I have?

SCCM is a complex solution that needs a lot of licenses which means a lot of money. It only supports Windows and BigFix can be deployed across Linux and Microsoft operating systems. I would rate BigFix a nine out of ten. Not a ten because there are some improvements that can be done to the product and the support that we get from the vendor needs improvement. BigFix can do almost anything. You should know how to use it based on your specific requirements, but it can do almost anything.
Joshua Hickok
Senior Security Consultant at Tech Data Corporation
Feb 25, 2019
We went from manually patching machines to being able to "set it and forget it" and get good results on first-pass patching

What is our primary use case?

I'm a long time user for endpoint management and now I do consulting so I design solutions for end customers.

• "It has improved my organization because we can automate a lot of tasks. We went from manually patching machines or doing our best and having very little visibility into it to us being able to set it and forget it and getting really good results on first-pass patching."
  • "I would eventually like to see a SaaS offering, a cloud-hosted BigFix instance where we only have to put a relay in our environment."

What other advice do I have?

BigFix is way better than SCCM. SCCM doesn't do MAC OS or Linux. It takes a lot of time to manage, it's a lot of work, there are all kinds of ports that you need to open, and it's just a pain to manage. I would rate BigFix a nine out of ten because I really enjoy the tool but there's always room for improvement and there's always something to add. I've been really happy. There's a close-knit community. It's super easy to get help. They're always adding new features. I'm very happy with it. I would advise someone considering this solution to try it out. Set up a demo, give it a shot, turn on…
Tanyalynnette Grimes
CEO/ Chief Strategist at GreenWave Tech Corp
Feb 25, 2019
We're able to make sure that our endpoints are secure, regardless of the location on or off network

What is our primary use case?

We help our customers and ourselves do vulnerability and compliance implementations, licensing compliance, and patch management solutions.

• "DOWNLOADING-PATCHES; It has also helped to reduce network traffic when it comes to downloading patches. By only having to download the patch once to the central location and then utilizing the relay structure to then download the patch to a specific site and then everything gathering at local, it greatly reduces the bandwidth of multiple endpoints."
  • "We're a partner, so we deliver technical support to customers. When we need to talk to the product support, traditionally, with the product over the last five years, I would not say support has been supportive. I hope that changes."

What other advice do I have?

SCCM was a product that was originally designed to deploy Microsoft Office and to patch some of the underlying structures of the Microsoft operating system. It was never designed to be a large-scale security compliance or endpoint management tool. So when you look at it from those foundations, it doesn't compare. SCCM is a free product that's offered as part of an ELA agreement that can do those functions and features, but it's not designed to do it. I would rate BigFix a nine out of ten. It is a world leader in the patch management, vulnerability management, and security compliance space. Not…
John Livinston
CEO at Verve
Feb 25, 2019
Allows for visibility into the OT that didn't exist before and has helped our network tracking when it comes to downloading patches

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for BigFix is in the industrial environment, we put BigFix into industrial facilities.

• "It allows for visibility into the OT, the industrial environments, that didn't exist before which is a big piece and has benefited my organization. Second, the speed at which people can patch is night and day versus SCCM scan or another similar solution."
  • "I would like to see different types of reporting and the ability to integrate closer with the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because the reporting side of things could be improved and I'd like to see how they're going to fit it in with the cloud. I would advise someone considering BigFix to look at it and try it. It's really easy to say SCCM is free so you'll just use it but you don't know what you're missing until you actually give BigFix a shot and try it. It's dramatically easier. It significantly reduces the time and effort that it takes to do things and it's more certain. You know what you've got rather than getting in there and guessing each time.
Sean Seymour
Senior Developer at Jack in the Box
Feb 25, 2019
Improved reliability upon the delivery of software and has helped reduce software expenses

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to develop custom content to deliver to restaurants.

• "It has improved reliability upon delivery of software and has also helped reduce software expenses. The extensibility of BigFix helps to create custom solutions where we may have considered purchasing something instead."
  • "I would like to see much better web reporting because as it is now, it's convoluted, basic, it's not modern, and there are limitations to it."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. You can see all of the code of the custom content that is created for you. That's huge. With a lot of proprietary solutions, it's a black box where you can't see what they're doing and when it messes up you're on your own. With BigFix that was huge because if something goes wrong then you can create your own copy and start troubleshooting it. I would advise someone considering this solution to have a developer on staff to fully leverage the features of it.
Andrew Laurence
Systems Analyst at a university with 10,001+ employees
Feb 25, 2019
Enables us to to build custom content and scale to additional endpoints without increasing staff time

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for patching all of our systems and maintaining their security compliance.

• "It enables us to patch our systems quickly and within expectations and to increase our volume as needed. It has also helped us compress our patch sites. We used to do it monthly but now we do it weekly."
  • "I'd definitely like to see additional feature parody in the web UI versus the console. There are certain things that you can only do in the console and they're very cumbersome to do, like secure parameters, for example. That's definitely something that has a wide degree of utility but it needs to be easier to surface. At this particular juncture between the transition, between the legacy console and the web UI, it's hard to justify dealing with the cumbersome aspects of the legacy console when theoretically everything's been through the web UI."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten and I'd advise someone considering this solution to start with one relay. Remember that it is a root shell robot. If you can do it on the shell you can do it with BigFix.
Ben Cotton
Founder at CyFIR
Feb 25, 2019
Increases our efficiencies on the remediation phase of our engagements and enables us to spend fewer consulting hours

What is our primary use case?

We rely on BigFix to provide patch remediations in conjunction with instant response engagements that we have. Once CyFIR finds a problem, we tend to leverage BigFix to automate the solution across the entire environment.

• "We rely on BigFix as part of our consulting engagements. It's more efficient from a visibility and discovery standpoint on the initial phase, the consulting engagement. It also increases our efficiencies on the remediation phase of our engagements."
  • "I'd like to see better API integration with BigFix. We have some tremendous API capability inside of CyFIR and the ability to take textual search results, for example, and bring that back into the BigFix dashboard. This would be of extreme interest to us and our customers."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 9.5 out of ten. It's pretty close to being perfect. It's stellar.
Endpoint84a2
Endpoint Management Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 24, 2019
The ability to customize the content to do what we need it to do is very powerful

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to import management across all of our stores, desktops and server infrastructures.

• "Having higher visibility on patching level, on patching successful, and non-successful has been a way that BigFix has improved my organization. Also, the ability to customize the content to do what we need it to do is very powerful and very flexible for us. Finally, in the area of custom interfaces like REST API really gives us the ability to provide for our external customers."
  • "License management isn't quite as easy as it should be to deal with the licensing. You need to take the server down to import the new licenses which I find to be annoying."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It's incredibly flexible. I've managed and worked with several endpoint management solutions like ITMS, or ZENworks. I haven't worked with SCCM, but it's like if SCCM was a Ferrari, BixFix is an incredibly tweak-able, tunable, indie car. It can do a lot of cool stuff but you have to tweak it, and you have to know how to use it. I would advise someone considering this solution to throw out all of your expectation on how you think things need to work. Throw out how you did things before. Don't try to shoehorn what you did before into a product you might move to…
SystemAnbeb8
System Analysis at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 24, 2019
Our upgrades are much more refined than the manual processes we did before

What is our primary use case?

We use it for patching our AIX servers and we also use it for deploying and up keeping our Tivoli workload scheduler application.

• "The most valuable feature for us is the ability to manage TWS, the relevance is really what sets it apart. Also, using it as a software deployment tool is the key for us."
  • "I'm looking for them to make big web UI improvements."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a ten out of ten. It's very useful, very powerful, and you can do a lot with it. I would tell a colleague who's considering this solution to check it out, it's great.
Technolo49bf
Technology Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 21, 2019
The stability is good overall and provides real-time insight of the endpoints

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for content automation and application delivery.

• "The use of fast query has been extremely valuable providing insight in real time of the endpoints."
  • "The self-service application seems to need some work to replace the client UI. There are a lot of pop-ups if you use a baseline as the object that you're setting to a workstation. Unless you're using web UI, the message is not customizable in the user notification."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. The applications are stable, although at times a little dated on how they display information or how they chunk through information. It's stable and it functions. The best advice I can give is to reach out to the user community when you're running into trouble. You'll find a lot of the answers have already been asked and answered for you on the forums.
Securityabc9
Security
Feb 21, 2019
Our patch cycles are much faster, they usually happen within a few days or less

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for endpoint configuration management.

• "The most valuable feature is the patching."
  • "I would like to see more emphasis on using the web console, to have the same power as the full fat client console that they do they now. It's a lighter way to log in and it would be faster for our operators to do their work. The console tends to take a long time for a large number of clients."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would advise a colleague considering this solution to definitely understand what your needs are and see if the product meets those needs. Don't try to shoehorn your needs into a tool.
Connie Lamicela
CTO at ESM Technology
Feb 21, 2019
Incredibly fast and accurate in patching, reporting, and remediation

What is our primary use case?

Primarily my clients use it for being able to not only patch but also to be able to detect and remediate vulnerabilities in their environment. In addition, to be able to provide an accurate inventory of both the hardware and software of what they currently have deployed.

• "BigFix is incredibly fast and accurate in patching, reporting, and remediation."
  • "I would like to see more integration with external data."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it ten out of ten for reliability, dependability, and being able to get the job done the first time around. Try it in a test run, you'll be really satisfied with the results.
Onyegbule Uche
Technical Consultant at Activedge Technologies
Feb 20, 2019
Easy to use, cheaper than the value, and there is tons of support from the BigFix community

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for patch management and software distribution.

• "I would advise someone considering this product to go for it. It's easy to use, cheaper than the value, and there is tons and tons of support from the BigFix community. With almost every challenge we have someone who has encountered it, and you will have a solution right away."
  • "To make it a ten they should improve the licensing. Second, if they could have one environment for everything it would be nice. For you to install compliance you need to install the server, and then you add the modules. For you to install inventory you install the server and then you add the modules. It's not easy to do. When I was doing it before I learned it, it was not straight forward."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this product to go for it. It's easy to use, cheaper than the value, and there is tons and tons of support from the BigFix community. With almost every challenge we have someone who has encountered it, and we will have a solution right away. I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a ten they should improve on the issues stated above
Shalva Narayan
Project Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Feb 18, 2019
Enables us to build a robust infrastructure but isn't user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

I have various use cases for this solution. It has many varieties of infrastructure. For example, if you have a very high bandwidth in your network infrastructure, it will work very well. If it doesn't have an internet connection, it also works very well. If you have a lower bandwidth within your offices, it will also work very well. This is lacking in many other tools.

• "My company provides support services to a lot of customers and companies. We have reduced a huge amount of man-effort. Along with the man-effort, we have reduced the timeline to fix the compliance and security gaps. We have an unbroken record. The documentation clearly says that we have done the patching of newly released patches, including Microsoft and third-party patches, in up to 80% of the computers, within 72 hours of the release of the production. That was a very massive benefit that we have seen. When I talk about the 80% endpoints, it is 100 or 200. I am talking about 25,000 endpoints."
  • "I would request them to build a robots, or an easier way for integration with the other tools, like ITSM tools."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. It has great scalability and customization. It also has one console that can be used for many endpoint management tasks. I deducted two points because BigFix is not a brand that you can just use. It is not very user-friendly. You need to have some training before you use the tool.
Uffan Khan
Information Security Analyst at Cleveland Clinic
User
Nov 22, 2018
Patch management makes it easy for out-of-band and in-band patching

What is our primary use case?

* A central engine for endpoint posture improvements * Excellent compliance reporting with customizable dashboards * Scalability and expandability support any heterogeneous environment.
Nirmal Kumar
Talent Acquisition Executive at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 8, 2018
It helps us manage over 25,000 workers at our work stations. Sometimes there is a lag time for this product.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for department management. It helps us manage about 25,000 individual workers, who are all at work stations.

How has it helped my organization?

The product is less costly when compared to other solutions, and this is a good solid solution for what we have paid.

What is most valuable?

It is very flexible, and very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a system to erase a virus and then create an analysis to find a virus. This would be a nice additional feature for the product. In addition, sometimes there is a lag time for our users.

More than five years.

The technical support was pretty…
Yogesh Bhatia
AVP, aPaaS Engineer at Barclays
User
Oct 8, 2018
The product is complicated to use, but the plugin development options are great
It has plugins development options, which are great. However, the product is quite buggy and complicated to use.
Ravi Khanchandani
Founder Director at Techsa Services Pvt Ltd
Apr 10, 2018
A single tool for patch compliance, security compliance & software compliance of an entire compute infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

* Patch Management * Software Distribution * Security Compliance * Software Compliance

• "Patch Management for a variety of operating systems makes it valuable as we can rely on a single tool for obtaining patch compliance of the entire compute infrastructure."
  • "Relay selection and availability needs improvement as an incorrect relay selected can cause network chokes."

What other advice do I have?

Get started with BigFix.
SrinivasMurthy
IT Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 16, 2018
Patch compliance reached 100%, but needs to improve Internet-based client management

What is our primary use case?

Server management patch management and software deployment, where we have multiple platforms, such as Windows Servers, Linux, Unix, etc.

• "Patch management, because it very much improved the patch compliance and has the capability to manage Windows and non-Windows clients."
  • "Needs to improve Network Access Protection (NAP) technologies to prevent computers with vulnerabilities from gaining access to networks."
it_user763842
Manager of Outsourcing Projects Department & ISO20000, ISO27001, ISO22301 Management Representative at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 15, 2017
Software deployment in distributed environments, as it provides control over compliance and saves time

• "Vulnerability scanning and patch automation."
  • "There is no support for patch management on SLES on IBM pSeries (only the Intel platform is supported)."
it_user765258
Rational Architect, BigFix & MobileFirst Protect Technical Presales at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 15, 2017
The architecture for patching and the 100% correct reporting makes it stand apart from other solutions

• "The architecture for patching and the 100% correct reporting makes BigFix stand apart from other solutions."
  • "The new EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) feature, Detect, is new and still needs a few updates."

What other advice do I have?

You will not be impressed with the looks of the reports, but they are accurate. The BigFix.me forum is a great place to learn from others.
it_user765255
Senior Desktop Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 14, 2017
Allowed us to proactively seek out issues as well as quickly react to issues and target only computers which needed fixes

• "Ability to run custom reports and custom relevance."
  • "We need a much better multi-tenant option."

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. Spend some time really learning about the capabilities and how things are organized within the product. Then, spend some time really planning your structure and how the organizational groups should play out. It will make things a lot easier down the road when you need to send something to just one area of your business. Unfortunately, it is usually after a product is implemented that we truly understand how to best implement for our environment.
MartinCarnegie
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 1, 2017
Provides a single pane view into the entire environment.

• "Pre-packaged support for many third-party applications such as Adobe, Google, Mozilla, Sun (Java), WinZip, and others."
  • "IBM has not focused on the Web Reports capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

IBM BigFix is simple to implement and can quickly provide insight into the environment. By looking for “pain points” that the various groups have, IBM BigFix can be used to quickly assist. As an example, the Windows server team would at times leave themselves logged into a server which would cause account lockouts. They did have PowerShell scripts to detect this, but they took a while to report back and if the system was behind a firewall, they would not see it. By using IBM BigFix, we were able to collect this information (default data collection) and present it in the console. Another…
it_user763848
Project Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 29, 2017
This tool offers the capability to bundle a script ahead of patching, so maintenance and the corresponding patching is a click of a button

• "In terms of vulnerability management, it gives tough competition by providing a single management console with multiple benefits."
  • "The tool should be more friendly in terms of Web UI and should be having better vulnerability scanning mechanisms so a third-party application is not required to fulfill that aspect."

What other advice do I have?

It is a niche tool with good exposure to required customization and automation, but still requires quite a lot of expertise to handle in comparison to its competitive tools.
it_user687204
BigFix Solution Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 27, 2017
Software distribution and patch management are the most valuable. Patch management is the native first usage of this product.

• "Software distribution and patch management are the most valuable."
  • "The console interface is not friendly, and requires training before using it in production."

What other advice do I have?

During deployment and design of this product you must involve the services that will use the product. You have to change the mindset (concept) of your team if you used another product in the past.
it_user634896
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 20, 2017
Being able to see inside every asset that we have and finding those assets are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

You've got to do a proof of concept and a proof of technology. Get it in there and see what it can do. But more importantly, as you're putting it in, see how quickly you can do it and then see how easy it is to remediate those vulnerabilities. You'll be amazed. When it comes to selecting a vendor, it's got to be brand. You have the big names: Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, and all that good stuff. But price has to be considered as well. If you can get a great product at a good price, it's very important.
it_user634935
Infrastructure Solutions Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 19, 2017
We use it to automate Windows and on AIX boxes to automate patch installation and OS upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, without any hesitation, I would recommend that you should implement and use it. Try it out!
it_user634920
System Engineer at a wireless company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Apr 19, 2017
Provides consistency and hits all of our endpoints.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful. It's a super powerful tool. It can be unforgiving, i.e., if you do some of the things wrong, it can be a nightmare. There are a couple of things that we've learned in our environment, especially with the APIs and some of those things that can be devastating, if they're done wrong.
it_user634818
IT Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 14, 2017
The most valuable feature for me is being able to reach all systems at once

What other advice do I have?

It's great if you're looking for an all-in-one inventory management, patch management and security tool. Now they have also added Detect, which is an awesome response tool. It's almost getting to a one-stop shop solution for inventory and patch management and automation.
ITManagebec3
IT Manager at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 14, 2017
We use it for planning a lot of distributions.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to us, see what are your challenges and go for it!
it_user634893
Senior System Admin at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 14, 2017
The solution has improved our compliance levels overall.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely look at BigFix to consider it as a solution.
it_user634902
Assistant VP at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Apr 14, 2017
The most valuable feature for me is patching, because it's helped me to make sure I am always compliant.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise them to just do it.
it_user476493
Senior Implementation Analyst at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 13, 2017
The most valuable feature of this solution is its ease of use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves the productivity of our organization, by helping the technical guys in our team.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more of the extended reporting feature. It would help the technical teams, so as to drill down into the reports further.

The stability is good.

Scalability is also good.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is giving us the results that it's meant for. You should definitely take a look at it. The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are the reliability, cost and technical support.
it_user634929
It Compliance Specialist at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 12, 2017
The endpoint management capabilities provide vulnerability assessment, compliance, and make sure that they are up to date on multiple platforms.

What other advice do I have?

It is a highly effective tool if you're cross-platform. It really gets the job done simply. I really do dig it. I had worked with it previously, got a different job, not using it. After a little bit I came back and just looked for a job that was still using the BigFix tool. I sought out jobs specifically looking for it. Knowledge of the tool is important when selecting a vendor. Anyone can come and take you out to lunch, or wine and dine you. That's fine, they all do it. But to be able to have someone walk up to you and know how the tool actually functions is most important to me. I don't know…
it_user634833
Admin at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 4, 2017
It has one central location to manage all the different platforms that we have.

What other advice do I have?

This product is extremely easy. If you've never implemented this type of three-tier architecture tool, then you don't know it. But, for anybody who has carried out such an implementation before, it is very straightforward. Support is the most crucial criteria while selecting a vendor, because when things hit the wall and everybody's heated and trying to finger-point, you want someone that have the backbone to say, "We'll take care of it." IBM can do that. They never try to say, "No." They take the heat really well and they control it. Big corporations are looking for that kind of security that…
it_user634815
IT Specialist with 5,001-10,000 employees
Apr 2, 2017
Enables us to handle data from other vendors with the scale for our servers.

What other advice do I have?

See if the solution has good capabilities for them and if the solution can communicate well. Integration with many vendors is necessary.
it_user634923
Infrastructure Security Ops Manager at The Walt Disney company
Mar 31, 2017
The most valuable feature for me is the multi platform which is customizable so we're able to do API integration throughout our entire network.

What other advice do I have?

I would really encourage them to look into it and take a look at its abilities and think of it as a platform and not just a patching mechanism. Some people think BigFix is just patching. It's a lot more than that so I would ask them to look at the bigger modules.
it_user634926
Senior IT Manager at Technology Brands
Mar 31, 2017
The most valuable features for us are scalability and reliability.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give is not to be turned off from the learning curve. There is a little bit of a learning curve to it. But that learning curve is there for a reason and the talent that goes into actually using BigFix properly takes a little while to tune, but that is what makes BigFix so powerful. That being said, as a result of that you're going to get reliability and scalability and a much faster response time than probably most products out there.
Tony Trama
Director of Security Solutions at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 31, 2017
It allows for a thin infrastructure that can be exploited by the customer for multiple purposes.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it!
DataSecu4c81
Data Security Officer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 31, 2017
It helps maintain our environment, so all of our systems are patched and up to date.
ServerSy231e
Server Systems Engineer
Mar 31, 2017
It's easy to use, gives you great visibility into your environment, customization of your reports, and the community of users that you can pull experience and knowledge from.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it.
LeadsSys47c3
Leads Systems Analyst at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Its extensibility is valuable

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give depends on the problem that you are trying to solve. I spoke with a number of people at an IBM conference (users looking for a high-end endpoint security software who were potentially going to install BigFix), and they had nothing but good things to say about the tool and the people supporting it. It's a well-developed tool, supported by people who are passionate about it.
it_user634956
Lead Compliance Architect
Mar 30, 2017
The most valuable feature is its flexibility and the fact that there's one agent that allows you to do different things.

What other advice do I have?

Understand where your focus is going to be. Then, based on your focus, start moving in that direction and then, don't get so myopic with your focus that you don't see the capabilities it can provide, where it can become a universal tool to help you solve a lot of problems and potential endpoint security risks. You don't want to compete in your organization with other tools that provide the same capabilities. Consolidate your efforts into BigFix and get rid of those competing tools. Put the money into the support, the services and the innovation it provides. Openness and honesty are the most…
it_user634917
Systems Engineering at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Mar 30, 2017
With Inventory Services, the speed is key.

What other advice do I have?

I would say I would give it a nine. Only because as I stated earlier, web reports, if that were to improve, I'd give it a ten. There's always room for improvement. Really understand what your environment is like. Make sure that your network team is engaged with all of that.
it_user631689
Systems Engineer at Carolinas Healthcare System
Mar 26, 2017
Every PC that we have has to come in, and this product records it, adds software to it and also inventories it.

What other advice do I have?

If they are able to get it into the environment and run some type of proof of concept and be able to kick the tires a little bit, that would be the best way go with any product.
it_user573
Tech Support Staff at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
May 3, 2012
Great for deploying software packages or computer configurations

Valuable Features:

Easy to use. Dynamic to the needs of the company.

Room for Improvement:

There is limited support or assistance when creating new deployment tasks.

Other Advice:

New tasks require significant time investment; however, once the tasks are in place it makes upgrading or installing software extremely easy. The software is dynamic enough that there is very little that you cannot manage remotely.
Download our free BigFix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.