Bitbucket OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Bitbucket is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Version Control tools. It is most often compared to Bitbucket Server: Bitbucket vs Bitbucket Server

What is Bitbucket?
Store all of your Git and Mercurial source code in one place with unlimited private repositories. Includes issue tracking, wiki, and pull requests.
Bitbucket Buyer's Guide

Download the Bitbucket Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Bitbucket Customers
Oscar Insurance, Fugro Roames, Splunk, Rakuten, Red Giant, Met Office, Trulia, Onfido, TriNet, Orbitz Worldwide, Ames Research Center, Sotheby's
Bitbucket Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Bitbucket pricing:
  • "Licensing is on a monthly basis, it's available on our website. They have a free version, the pro version and then they have an enterprise version, and we're using a kind of the middle of the pro version for about $7 per user per month."
  • "You have to buy additional licenses when you exceed 50 users."
  • "With our small number of users, our licensing fees are approximately $10 USD per month."

Bitbucket Reviews

Nachu Subramanian
Automation Practice Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides great features not available elsewhere but access to technical support is severely lacking

• "Code check in and code version control."
  • "Could provide some default branching options for users to adopt."

What is our primary use case?

We have around 700 users for this product in our company and a maintenance team of four people. I've recently put in an order to increase that to 1,000 users in the near future and hope to bump this up to 2,000 users down the track. We are end users of this solution and I'm the Head of the DevOps Engineering Center.

What is most valuable?

It's the code check in and code version controlling.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in terms of the branching strategies. Instead of leaving the branching strategy for users to decide, Bitbucket could provide some default branching options for users to adopt. For now, users need to configure branching strategies from scratch as there's no template for the code branching. If they came up with a couple of default budgeting strategies, it could be used immediately. For example, there's a branching strategy called GitFlow, which is widely used in the market. It could be included in the tool as a template and adopted quickly and used immediately rather than having to create it from scratch.

Secondly, when it comes to the code reviewer, there's no way to restrict the number of reviewers, it can only be modified by the project managers on the fly and we don't want the project managers modifying the code reviewers. It should be restricted to the tool administrators. This is another gap in the solution. They really need to give out of the box integrations to all DevOps tools and the cloud tools without the need for additional plugins.

I've been using this solution for five years.

This is a stable solution and has a very good backup mechanism. There's only an issue if you don't have your backup running and there is a hardware failure or if the database goes out of sync. If that happens, recovery of Bitbucket is very, very complex.We encountered an issue as a result of some incorrect commands triggered by our engineer and it was very difficult to recover. We had to engage the Atlassian product engineers and they also had problems. Eventually, we had to recover each and every line of code manually. If you're using Bitbucket as a code repository or a version controlling tool, users need to ensure that the necessary backup for the file system and databases is configured appropriately. If not, then your recovery will be impacted.

It's a very scalable solution especially if it's hosted on cloud. The only thing is that the developers need to be aware of the number of code branches that they are creating, and carry out the proper housekeeping of the code. If that doesn't happen then the growth of Bitbucket will be enormous, and it might encounter some disk utilization related issues. I would suggest not to rely fully on the tool's capability for scaling up and down. Users need to be aware of what needs to be cleaned and housekeeping required. That aside, it's very scalable.

The technical support of the solution is problematic. If you subscribe to 24/7 support then you're fine. Otherwise they're available eight hours a day, not necessarily during your business hours. Unfortunately, there is no phone number to call the customer care directly which is frustrating. The only option is to raise a support ticket and then wait for them to reply; most of the time they try to avoid the calls and do most of the communication through the support ticket, which is very painful. I've worked for other large companies where they provide a dedicated phone number for customers and escalation of the ticket can be requested. Atlassian is a very poor support model

I've been impacted a couple of times. Even if you put in an escalation request you only get a reply when they get to it and turn on the escalation in their own sweet time. It's very difficult and frustrating. Instead of going for the Atlassian support, we paid a third party vendor, an Atlassian support partner, and we took an annual maintenance contract with them.

Atlassian don't want their customers dependent on them but want them to take up support services from their preferred support partners. There are different levels and if you need something urgently, they'll suggest you contact their premier support partners. It's not a good model and I would rate them poorly in this regard.

I still use Jira and Confluence and have done for many years. It's the same support model for all tools, just like Bitbucket.

The initial setup is not very complex. It took us about a week, perhaps less.

The price of Bitbucket is on the high side, but I think that's because of the tool's capability, which is justifiable. If you're purchasing for a smaller number of users then the license cost per user is definitely expensive, but if you buy a greater number of licenses, then it likely becomes a little cheaper.

Atlassian is a very clever company. They sell the base product a little cheaper, and on top of that they sell many important plugins or add-ons which you need but which are also expensive. You might think you have a reasonably good deal but the base product will not have some of the important features and if you look at the final cost, it's a little expensive. But the tool has good capabilities and very good features not explored by many other Git based version controlling tools like GitLab or GitHub.

What other advice do I have?

I would have given Atlassian a nine out of 10, but because of the technical support issues and pricing, I would give them a seven out of 10 rating. I wouldn't even complain about the cost but they really need to improve their support model.

CP
Vice President at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A more professional version than open source solutions with better facilities

• "We have a couple of different tools that allow us to tie source code changes to report bugs. It's integrated with a bug tracking system and also integrated with what requires a tracking system. So we have better facilities. We get with the command line and can type all that stuff in and get the same kind of trust, but when we d it all manually, it's not likely to happen."
  • "Even with the automation, we've had some situations where we've had mistakes. They've integrated things into the wrong place, so there's a fairly steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

It's a source control system. We have lots of source code and we wanted to move to Git and there are a lot of different Git solutions out there, including free stuff. But we liked the features of Bitbucket, because it takes off some of the sharp edges, so to speak. It's a more professional version than the free open source Git that's widely available.

What is most valuable?

We have a couple of different tools that allow us to tie source code changes to report bugs. It's integrated with our bug tracking system and also integrated with our requirement tracking system. So we have better facilities. We could integrate these solutions using command line "hooks", but when we do it all manually, it's not likely to happen.

What needs improvement?

Even with the automation, we've had some situations where we've had mistakes. Developers have integrated code into the wrong place by mistake, so there's a fairly steep learning curve.

Being in the cloud and using large repositories can be slow. They should improve synchronizing very large repositories.

I have been using Bitbucket for six months.

It's pretty stable. We just had one incident where one of our developers somehow got access to somebody else's code using his own credentials.  He logged in like he normally does but could not see our source code; all he could see was somebody else's source code instead. That's a security problem. They cleaned it up somehow and the next time he logged in, there was no issue.

We don't have any issues with scalability. And no issues with availability today. It's on the cloud that you look for is, it's accessible worldwide, it's always working and you don't have to rely on your IT to keep it running.

There are around 100 users in our company. Their roles are Developers, DevOps, and QA.

We use several different source control systems and it's a big deal to change.  All the groups that were interested have now made the jump.

I haven't contacted customer support. When we had the incident with the employee logging in with his credentials, we called support and told them this one guy had a problem. Other than that incident it's been stable and available. No real complaints.

The setup was kind of complex. We started out with some simple examples and that was easy enough. But then when we went to migrate real code repositories, we had to get into what they call large file storage, which was complex to set up.

The deployment took about a month with a small focus group and I would say it probably took two or three months to get everybody comfortable using it.

We use it on the cloud. It's the latest and greatest. You don't have to pay for maintenance and you get automatic updates and hardware and backups and all that nice stuff. I paid a little premium for it, but you get a lot of benefits.

Licensing is on a monthly basis, it's available on their website. They have a free version, a pro version and then they have an enterprise version.  The Pro version is kind of the middle of the road for about $7 per user per month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting some Git training.  Something like 85% of all developers use Git. So it's like the defacto standard for source control.  Bitbucket is a brand of Git that has some nice features on top of the core functionality.

The biggest lesson learned was, we should've done a little bit more training for the developers. It was very informal and should've probably been more formal, not necessarily sending everybody to university or a class, but a little more hand-holding.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I give it this rating because there was the integration with the other tools.

Learn what your peers think about Bitbucket. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PederHerborg
CEO at Fiftytwo A/S
We get seamless integration and it is stable and easily scalable

• "What I liked the most about this program is that it integrates seamlessly with JIRA."
  • "I think the developers are constantly working on improving the pull requests support."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as source repository. We use it to store all the source codes. So we basically use it for easy management of access to the source repository and creating pull requests. It also helps us to manage and get an overview of the different branches we have. It integrates into JIRA seamlessly so you can see the task effects on a JIRA task and Git.

What is most valuable?

What I liked the most about this program is that it integrates seamlessly with JIRA, which really adds value to our organization. I also like it as a pull request feature, even though that feature can definitely be improved.

What needs improvement?

I think the developers are constantly working on improving the pull requests support. It already works quite well, but there are still some issues with the support of the workflow and how to actually measure the time you spend on using reviews for pull requests compared to the time you actually use for doing the task. I am not really sure how that should be handled. I don't have a good solution for it yet.

I have been using Bitbucket for three to four years.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Bitbucket. It just works as it should.

The only thing I've experienced with the scalability is that you have to buy additional licenses when you exceed 50 users. That's more related to the cost model. I don't think I've experienced any scalability issues with it so far, however. I didn't expect to either because it's primarily hooked up to Git, that's the source repository.

Only when we misuse Git, like when we add large binary files to a source repository, it doesn't go that well. That's because we don't use it like it was intended to be used. It has nothing to do with Bitbucket - it's more about Git.

I haven't used their technical support yet.

I don't know exactly what the program costs, but it depends on how many users you have. We recently upgraded from 50 to 100 users, and I think it's public on the website. I am not sure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they are looking for a stable on-premises solution, Bitbucket is the obvious choice. They can even use it if they are looking for a cloud solution, but we have a restriction that we have to run it on-premises. Therefore I think it's the smallest, best solution for us.

I think it's worth paying for the extra features because otherwise you end up spending a lot of time configuring open source products.

On a scale from one to 10, I rate Bitbucket a nine.

OB
Chief Information Officer at a recruiting/HR firm with 11-50 employees
A secure and cost-effective solution for code tracking and management

• "Bitbucket is a standard git implementation with perfectly coordinated screens, it's secure, and we have had no problems with it."
  • "The installation of Bitbucket on our server was not as easy as other Atlassian products, so it is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We develop our own applications and all of our source code activities are managed and tracked on Bitbucket.

What is most valuable?

We are satisfied with the user interface.

What needs improvement?

The installation of Bitbucket on our server was not as easy as other Atlassian products, so it is something that can be improved. The same is true for the upgrade process. I have upgraded it twice, and it is similar to the initial installation.

I have been using Bitbucket for two years.

We have had no problems and I'm satisfied with the stability. We use it quite heavily because all of our applications and updates are handled on different branches in Bitbucket.

I cannot say much with respect to scalability because we are a small company with a maximum of five people who are using the product.

In the two years that we have been using Bitbucket, we have not needed any support.

Prior to using Bitbucket, we were using the freeware version of SVN. We switched because Bitbucket has better features, especially for source code maintenance.

The initial setup was a little bit complex. It requires more intervention on the Linux console than the other Atlassian products. You need to adjust more files, for example.

It took us about a month to deploy and three people were involved in the process. Only one person is required for maintenance because it is generally maintained by Atlassian.

The deployment was done by our in-house team.

We have seen ROI but I cannot easily quantify it with numbers.

We are using the minimum package with ten users and we are happy with the price because we are a small company. With our small number of users, our licensing fees are approximately $10 USD per month. There are no fees in addition to this.

We evaluated GitHub but we require our own server for source code management.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is good and it covers all our needs. Periodically, I receive announcements from Atlassian, mostly concerning the security features. They are fixing the newly discovered vulnerabilities and also, there are some other improvements in the features. Normally, I am not affected by the new features because we don't require them.

My advice is to start using this solution because it works very well and we are very satisfied with the functionality. If somebody knows how to configure git for libraries then they can implement Bitbucket as well.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Kajal Panwar
Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Overall easy to use, simple code sending, but more documentation needed

• "The solution is easy to use. If I need to check out my latest code or I need to send my local code to the depositories it is simple. Overall it is has been a good experience from my side using this solution."
  • "One of the areas the solution could improve on is when there is a merging conflict it is quite confusing. When I am having a merging conflict I get stuck on the page, then I need to search how to handle the particular problem. For example, finding what the commands are which can be used."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Bitbucket for the code checking and tracking of our project depositories which we have locally. This includes code changes in software development.

How has it helped my organization?

Bitbucket has helped our company stay current with our updated code daily.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. If I need to check out my latest code or I need to send my local code to the depositories it is simple. Overall it is has been a good experience from my side using this solution.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas the solution could improve on is when there is a merging conflict it is quite confusing. When I am having a merging conflict I get stuck on the page, then I need to search how to handle the particular problem. For example, finding what the commands are which can be used.

I might not have the proper knowledge of it. However, the merging processes can be difficult and could be made easier. Overall there should be better documentation available. When I first started out it would have been very helpful because I had to search to find out how to use the solution.

In an upcoming release, the solution could improve the collaboration. Additionally, there should be some startup tool or features for whenever we have local changes or updates it will prevent us from submitting any change unless they have been removed locally. For example,
there should be some sort of command tool that can remove my local code first and then checking it by taking code from the latest one to resolve it.

I have been using Bitbucket within the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution is good. However, there have been times I had to close the program down and restart it.

The solution is scalable and it is not very difficult to do.

We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization which includes various teams, such as the automation department.

We use this solution every day and frequently, we plan to continue using it in the future.

I have used a previous version that was not user-friendly. Additionally, I have used GitHub.

We have one technician that does the maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Bitbucket a seven out of ten.

Stanislav Ivanov
Quality Assurance Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A fast initial setup that is scalable and stable

• "The initial deployment is rather straightforward and only takes 30 minutes to an hour."
  • "The solution is not user-friendly. Right now, the solution is not so easy to understand. It needs to update its design and overall user experience."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for managing our own repository.

What is most valuable?

I don't have too much experience with Bitbucket; I use GitHub more often.

It's easy to switch back and forth between Bitbucket and GitHub.

What needs improvement?

The code review and creation of requests need improvement. In GitHub it's much easier and broader and that makes everything easier to see.

The solution is not user-friendly. Right now, the solution is not so easy to understand. It needs to update its design and overall user experience.

I've been using the solution for several months.

The solution is relatively stable. It's much more stable than GitHub.

The solution is fairly scalable. I'm not sure if scaling affects pricing, however. We often have around 100 users on the solution, but it depends on the project.

I've never had to contact technical support.

We did previously use a different solution. We switched to Bitbucket when we switched projects.

The initial deployment is rather straightforward and only takes 30 minutes to an hour.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

We use the solution pretty extensively, but it depends on the client and the project.

I'd suggest those considering implementing the solution try all the functionalities in the trial period. That way you can decide if it will work for your projects.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.