Bitbucket Overview

Bitbucket is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Version Control tools. It is most often compared to Bitbucket Server: Bitbucket vs Bitbucket Server

What is Bitbucket?
Store all of your Git and Mercurial source code in one place with unlimited private repositories. Includes issue tracking, wiki, and pull requests.
Bitbucket Buyer's Guide

Download the Bitbucket Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Bitbucket Customers
Oscar Insurance, Fugro Roames, Splunk, Rakuten, Red Giant, Met Office, Trulia, Onfido, TriNet, Orbitz Worldwide, Ames Research Center, Sotheby's
Bitbucket Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Bitbucket pricing:
  • "Licensing is on a monthly basis, it's available on our website. They have a free version, the pro version and then they have an enterprise version, and we're using a kind of the middle of the pro version for about $7 per user per month."
  • "You have to buy additional licenses when you exceed 50 users."
  • "With our small number of users, our licensing fees are approximately $10 USD per month."

Javad-Talebi
Team Leader at Turk Telekom
Hosts our core code and has had perfect stability

What is our primary use case?

Actually, I have an E-commerce product on that solution and store it there. I deploy the product for each customer and they use it. I'm trying to use the cloud system as my center for distribution. I use Bitbucket for hosting the core code.

• "This is a very dependable product that is easy to use and it has an excellent GUI interface."
  • "There are many places where the product could be expanded to make it a more complete solution."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight. I love this product, so actually eight may actually not be good enough for the rating. On the other hand, there is a lot that could be incorporated or improved.
Nachu Subramanian
Head of DevOps Engineering Center of Excellence at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides great features not available elsewhere but access to technical support is severely lacking

What is our primary use case?

We have around 700 users for this product in our company and a maintenance team of four people. I've recently put in an order to increase that to 1,000 users in the near future and hope to bump this up to 2,000 users down the track. We are end users of this solution and I'm the Head of the DevOps Engineering Center.

• "Code check in and code version control."
  • "Could provide some default branching options for users to adopt."

What other advice do I have?

I would have given Atlassian a nine out of 10, but because of the technical support issues and pricing, I would give them a seven out of 10 rating. I wouldn't even complain about the cost but they really need to improve their support model.
Learn what your peers think about Bitbucket. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CP
Vice President at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A more professional version than open source solutions with better facilities

What is our primary use case?

It's a source control system. We have lots of source code and we wanted to move to Git and there are a lot of different Git solutions out there, including free stuff. But we liked the features of Bitbucket, because it takes off some of the sharp edges, so to speak. It's a more professional version than the free open source Git that's widely available.

• "We have a couple of different tools that allow us to tie source code changes to report bugs. It's integrated with a bug tracking system and also integrated with what requires a tracking system. So we have better facilities. We get with the command line and can type all that stuff in and get the same kind of trust, but when we d it all manually, it's not likely to happen."
  • "Even with the automation, we've had some situations where we've had mistakes. They've integrated things into the wrong place, so there's a fairly steep learning curve."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting some Git training. Something like 85% of all developers use Git. So it's like the defacto standard for source control. Bitbucket is a brand of Git that has some nice features on top of the core functionality. The biggest lesson learned was, we should've done a little bit more training for the developers. It was very informal and should've probably been more formal, not necessarily sending everybody to university or a class, but a little more hand-holding. I would rate it an eight out of ten. I give it this rating because there was the integration with the other tools.
PederHerborg
CEO at Fiftytwo A/S
We get seamless integration and it is stable and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as source repository. We use it to store all the source codes. So we basically use it for easy management of access to the source repository and creating pull requests. It also helps us to manage and get an overview of the different branches we have. It integrates into JIRA seamlessly so you can see the task effects on a JIRA task and Git.

• "What I liked the most about this program is that it integrates seamlessly with JIRA."
  • "I think the developers are constantly working on improving the pull requests support."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they are looking for a stable on-premises solution, Bitbucket is the obvious choice. They can even use it if they are looking for a cloud solution, but we have a restriction that we have to run it on-premises. Therefore I think it's the smallest, best solution for us. I think it's worth paying for the extra features because otherwise you end up spending a lot of time configuring open source products. On a scale from one to 10, I rate Bitbucket a nine.
OB
Chief Information Officer at a recruiting/HR firm with 11-50 employees
A secure and cost-effective solution for code tracking and management

What is our primary use case?

We develop our own applications and all of our source code activities are managed and tracked on Bitbucket.

• "Bitbucket is a standard git implementation with perfectly coordinated screens, it's secure, and we have had no problems with it."
  • "The installation of Bitbucket on our server was not as easy as other Atlassian products, so it is something that can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is good and it covers all our needs. Periodically, I receive announcements from Atlassian, mostly concerning the security features. They are fixing the newly discovered vulnerabilities and also, there are some other improvements in the features. Normally, I am not affected by the new features because we don't require them. My advice is to start using this solution because it works very well and we are very satisfied with the functionality. If somebody knows how to configure git for libraries then they can implement Bitbucket as well. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Stanislav Ivanov
Quality Assurance Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A fast initial setup that is scalable and stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for managing our own repository.

• "The initial deployment is rather straightforward and only takes 30 minutes to an hour."
  • "The solution is not user-friendly. Right now, the solution is not so easy to understand. It needs to update its design and overall user experience."

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. We use the solution pretty extensively, but it depends on the client and the project. I'd suggest those considering implementing the solution try all the functionalities in the trial period. That way you can decide if it will work for your projects. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Product Categories
Version Control
Download our free Bitbucket Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.