BiZZdesign HoriZZon OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BiZZdesign HoriZZon is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Architecture Management tools. It is most often compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: BiZZdesign HoriZZon vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect

What is BiZZdesign HoriZZon?

HoriZZon is a technologically advanced product that leverages cutting-edge web, cloud, data integration, collaboration, social and analytic technologies. On one hand, it enables architects and analysts to analyze potential change scenarios, design better processes, and assess risk. On the other hand, it helps business stakeholders create, navigate, analyze (e.g. by using color or label views), use on demand charts, or free format explore (impact of change) the content in the repository.

BiZZdesign HoriZZon is also known as HoriZZon.

Download the Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

BiZZdesign HoriZZon Customers
VIVAT Insurance, Huf Portuguesa, Erasmus University, Royal Bank of Scotland
BiZZdesign HoriZZon Video

Archived BiZZdesign HoriZZon Reviews (more than two years old)

Sr Manager Enterprise Architect at CSL Behring
Fast loading, easy to use, and has strong modeling capabilities

• "The feature I find most valuable is that the start times and loading times are short. It takes only a few seconds to load the repository and whenever I want to open diagrams, they are there almost immediately."
  • "The repository of duplicate objects is bad."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for enterprise architecture diagrams. We are working with ArchiMate and we have several hundred diagrams for specific purposes, like current state architecture, future state architecture, capability maps, and road maps.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is that the start times and loading times are short. It takes only a few seconds to load the repository and whenever I want to open diagrams, they are there almost immediately. So you don't have to wait long for diagrams to open. What's more, you have "undo functionality", and it has some great features because each object has icons where you can set functions, like when you want to connect with somebody else.

The program also has a bulk edit feature where you can insert multiple objects by entering a list of names, after which you can say which object types you want to have. The program then creates five or six of these object types. This also helps click editing.

It also has an import feature so you can import, like Visio diagrams for example. We've been importing the Visio diagrams exported from the other products we've been using. If we want feedback on that, you can have it on that system as well. You may need to do some tweaks like if the background is using an XML file, which I think is quite outdated, you just enter these things and then it is imported correctly.

The program also supports the ArchiMate exchange format, which has been specified by our group. So when you're using ArchiMate, this is a free product. I highly recommend ArchiMate because it doesn't have an enterprise repository. It is most efficient because it's running on the desktop, it's very fast and it has a context tool. So whenever you forget what a specific icon is, it has a quick help feature.

What needs improvement?

The repository of duplicate objects is bad. There is a function to identify duplicate objects, but if you don't recognize that they are duplicates, it becomes a problem.

Also, the repository is not easy to handle it because it just shows you a list of objects in the scroll books. For example, if you have 2000 applications, it is not really feasible to scroll 2000 objects.

Thirdly, the query engine is very awkward. If you want to use queries to define viewpoints in anything, the queries are very cryptic. It takes you a really long time to get to it. It does, however, have a query feature but the query only works on objects and not on relationships. It can show you where the objects with the match are, but it doesn't allow you to search, for example, on relationships that way.

What's more, Enterprise repository doesn't allow you to store documents. I thought we were able to store documents, like Office documents for example, and that one would be able to open them from there. But this flexibility is not offered.

You often get error messages so perhaps the developers can improve their product by using customer feedback because I think that's important.

I've been using this solution since the beginning of this year.

The program stalled twice during these few months that I've been using it. I think it's acceptable because, as far as I can remember, I didn't lose any data. I think it is quite stable.

BiZZdesign is supposed to be used by many users - more than what our company has. We have only five users. So I can't tell you how it really performs under a huge load. With the number of people in our company, everything runs smooth and there are no performance issues.

There is a limitation, though. You need to use either Chrome or the old Internet Explorer. I didn't actually check the other browsers, but we have found that it runs best on Chrome. I found that the program was very slow on Firefox. If anybody has issues with Chrome, he should look at using the current version of BiZZdesign.

When we have technical issues, the person who helped us, was most experienced and he managed to solve our problem.

We also used iServer and Archi so when somebody wants to work with ArchiMate as a modeling language, this would be my strongest recommendation. It's a standard published by the open group. They have training courses available, you can certify, and you can find a vast amount of material on this on the internet.

These two solutions are really fast and you can also define your properties in the repository to enhance your reporting features. I've been using it now for four or five years and I'm always astonished by its functionality and strength.

The Office iServer portal is quite flexible and gives you access to all the information and you can even define who's able to see what. With BiZZdesign you have more interaction. I saw in the demos that you also can successfully build diagrams and color code them based on some performance features.

This solution helps you to have multiple modeling techniques in parallel so that you can define a model based on ArchiMate. You could have another one in the same repository based on BPMN and so forth. All of this is built into the design. This is what I really like about BiZZdesign. And we did consider using iServer, but we didn't have this with iServer. With iServer, you must pay for extra packages. When you say value for money, I would say you get more when you look for multiple modeling, but when you need work on the repository for harmonization, the data is very important and run reports from it.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution a seven or eight out of ten, because of the missing features. I like its strong capabilities of modeling and I am impressed by the fact that it is easy to use.

JL
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A poor user experience and system instability made this solution too frustrating to work with

• "The initial setup of this solution was very straightforward."
  • "We tested it, and we had support from BiZZdesign, including patches, but it just didn't do what we wanted."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution was architecture modeling and ArchiMate. We have now switched and are no longer using this solution.

It was deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

We had a lot of problems with BiZZdesign, and I was happy when we switched to another tool. At first, we used the file server for sharing models, which didn't work because it freezes BiZZdesign. We switched to a database while still in a pilot project. Even then, we found that a lot of the functions were grayed out and unavailable for unknown reasons.

We tested it, and we had support from BiZZdesign, including patches, but it just didn't do what we wanted. It was too frustrating. I know that in the meantime there has been a new version and that they have improved, but I never gave it a try because it was too frustrating.

The user interface is in particular need of improvement. Every supplier of these tools knows how to make systems to let users model architecture, maintain relationships, and stuff like that. But, the user experience is of the main importance. You want to model quickly, and usually, you want to model in a team and to collaborate on the same model, and this is where I think BiZZdesign could improve.

Technical support for this solution can be improved.

This solution would benefit from the inclusion of support for different models, beyond ArchiMate-based and architectural, for other kinds of users. This might include strategy or business-wise modeling.

I trained on this solution for about six months.

The version that I have seen is not stable.

The version that I have seen is not scalable. That is when the problems arose.

We contacted technical support when we had our problems. The tried helping us, but I'm not saying that I was satisfied. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate them a five, or six, max.

The initial setup of this solution was very straightforward.

The deployment took perhaps half an hour when we were installing locally, and then using a file server. When we switched to a database, we needed the organizational procedures. So, this takes a little longer. Overall, it is not a problem for BiZZdesign.

We deployed this solution ourselves.

We did evaluate other options before choosing BiZZdesign, although I am not sure why we selected this option.

What other advice do I have?

We have now moved to a new solution that works. The most important things are stability, collaboration, and of course, the user experience. Stability is a very important part of the user experience.

I do not recommend using BiZZdesign. It is too much of a niche solution. Solutions like Enterprise Architect, or Visual Paradigm, are much more usable for the different kinds of audiences and users. For example, with Visual Paradigm, you can also model business processes and UML models.

I would rate this solution a one out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about BiZZdesign, Sparx Systems, Avolution and others in Architecture Management. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PH
Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Powerful tool with many features and powerful editing functions, strongly supporting modeling standards.

• "The powerful editing function in teamwork project-based, common or shared modeling, based on a powerful repository and knowledge sharing in a portal are the most valuable features. These are the most important features for me. I can add the integration of individual modeling notations like Archimate plus BPMN and DMN, and so on. We travel from one location to another and the tool allows us to keep track."
  • "It should be more open to integrating with other existing tools. Although there has been progress in the past."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use cases are for consulting on enterprise architecture and support of digital transformation, and I also use BiZZdesign as a tool.

What is most valuable?

The powerful editing function in teamwork project-based, common or shared modeling, based on a powerful repository and knowledge sharing in a portal are the most valuable features. These are the most important features for me. I can add the integration of individual modeling notations like Archimate plus BPMN and DMN, and so on. We travel from one location to another and the tool allows us to keep track.

What needs improvement?

The user interface and connectivity could use further improvement. The interface could be more user-friendly and intuitive. There was a big step between version 3 and version 4. I still have to learn how to use a lot of functions in version 4. I'm looking for further adjustment or adaptation to Windows style because for me it's a little difficult to switch the experience between both tools. I guess that the tool is adapting and converting to Windows step by step.

It should be more open to integrating with other existing tools. Although there has been progress in the past.

Some of my clients need a translation of the menu into Eastern and Central Europe languages, but EA professionals are able to work in English, so it's not critical.

I have been using this solution for the past five years.

It is stable although there have been a few cases where it shut down. But the instances were a lot less than Windows itself.

Scalability is up to my needs because I model just a few thousands of objects and it's powerful and scalable enough. Hopefully, it will continue like this for bigger clients also.

Only one technician is maintaining the solution itself and one enterprise architect on the client side. It only requires a small team for maintenance.

I would rate their technical support a four out of five. It's sufficient because when I need something explained or to know, for example, how to do imports, the service desk really carefully solved my needs. Also published user/solution documentation is in the current version very comprehensive, I am satisfied.

Before this solution, I would make a model in Visio, PowerPoint and such, not enterprise architecture management tools.

The first time I set it up years ago, it was really difficult for me to customize it because I am more of a business guy than a technician. Now it's much easier because of the metamodel editor that this solution now has so now it's much easier.

Deployment takes about a few days or weeks. It's easy to use and adapt it, but it's a little bit difficult to negotiate with the client in terms of what to implement, what to be modeled, what kind of methodological backgrounds will be used.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to plan and think in advance, to be prepared in terms of what to model, for what purpose and for whom, and to prepare an internal enterprise architecture framework. Then only afterward implement it into a tool because the tool will guide you. But if you don't know what you want it's really open and customizable, but will not guide you. It's really important to work a few days or weeks on your framework and then easily implement it in the tool.

The other advice I would give is from the beginning be in touch with C level management as a sponsor of enterprise architecture and use the reporting possibilities of the tool to satisfy them with insight into the architecture.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten because it's really powerful and I still haven't been able to take advantage of all if its many features.

Owner with 51-200 employees
I used the software to import catalogs with applications, interfaces, contracts, and other artifacts, but the interface is outdated and only available for Windows.

What is most valuable?

BiZZdesign Architect makes separates model from views and has a quite extensive set of analytical stuff built in to be very useful in complex environments. Typically enterprise architecture management and strategic portfolio planning can be supported with these tools as the architecture capability matures.

How has it helped my organization?

Next to a useful tool for strategic planning it is really helpful in a less mature environment as well. I used the software to easily import catalogs with applications, interfaces, contracts, and many other artifacts to start the modeling of my scope of concern pretty fast and come to compelling results for a plateau planning and roadmap.

What needs improvement?

It is only available for Windows right now and it really is an outdated interface and framework that is being used. As a Mac worker I really hate that and therefore any other product with less features would be considered a really good alternative.

I find the licensing model not fitting the market.

10 years

Nope. No issues with deployment. Easy installer. It just works.

Yes, it can crash. Save your work frequently!

Nope, no issues and no need.

Good - 8

Good - 8

I used Archi at first but this is only for creating views and not for maintaining a model, which in the core is the real architectural work.

Straight forward. You have to tune to get the best practice results out of the tool. A course is highly recommended.

in-house.

n/a

You need good tools. Just choose one and be good at it!

Yes but not to much. I was certified in the tool, archimate and togaf at Bizzdesign headquarters so it is mainly because of that, that I use this product.

What other advice do I have?

Choose wisely. I did not take the time to investigate on other tools until now. I am willing to let Bizzdesign Architect go for a good Mac solution that also has a separation in model, views and analytics.

Download our free Architecture Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about BiZZdesign, Sparx Systems, Avolution, and more!