BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite vs Microsoft Intune

What is BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite?

The BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite offers five editions to meet your enterprise’s evolving mobile needs. Growth can happen quickly, and the BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite is designed to provide a seamless transition to the more advanced capabilities in higher-level editions. The subscription model ensures predictable annual expenditures and eliminates upfront capital costs.

BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite is also known as Good for Enterprise, Good Mobile Messaging, Ubitexx Ubi-Suite.

Download the Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite Customers
Ashcourt Rowan, EMC Professional Services, Itochu, MBDA, North Hennepin Community College, PGGM, Rohde & Schwarz, US Navy
BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite Video

Archived BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite Reviews (more than two years old)

JL
Senior Manager at GDMS Canada
It allows us to secure these devices in a way we could not before, though The product releases are periodically unstable and cause further issues with the console and mobile devices.

What is our primary use case?

• Mobile device management for 400 business owned iOS devices in Canada.
  • Container apps for secure mail, browsing, app management, and secure remote access.

How has it helped my organization?

BlackBerry UEM is an improvement over BlackBerry Good for Enterprise - barely. We have good policy control with mobile devices and have a streamlined provisioning process with Apple DEP and BlackBerry UEM.

What is most valuable?

When the product works, it allows us to secure these devices in a way we could not before, and have control over the iOS updates and applications that we lacked.

What needs improvement?

• Support is terrible for the most part.
  • The product releases are periodically unstable and cause further issues with the console and mobile devices. When the product is stable, it's OK.

MD
Senior Adviser IT at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
It's easy to wipe the container remotely, but we need a third-party to manage it

• "It keeps things secure, it can remotely wipe the container and it's fairly easy to use."
  • "I'd like there to be more in the core product rather than having to buy additional products. For example, being able to trace your devices after an emergency is an additional product you have to buy to do that properly."
  • "It's too difficult to manage ourselves. We have to get a third-party in to do that. The fact that it breaks on some end-users' devices is also a concern and just the frequency and complexity of upgrades is not ideal."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for mobile device management and email and calendar on the mobile devices. It has performed very well. You get the odd device where you need to reinstall it because something is broken.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit is having email wherever you are and having access to your calendar wherever you are.

What is most valuable?

• Keeps things secure.
  • It can remotely wipe the container.
  • Fairly easy to use.

Three to five years.

We've had issues with devices not responding and needing to be reinstalled, but from the server side things seem to work, it seems to be fairly stable.

We're only a small organization so it has managed our number of devices quite well. I'm a bit concerned at how often and how complex it is to upgrade.

Occasionally we've had issues that we've had to refer to technical support and sometimes it has taken a little while to get the right answer from them.

We had Good for Enterprise and then BlackBerry bought them that's how we ended up with BlackBerry.

For me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor are capability, ease of use, and price.

We had to have a third-party to do the setup.

At times we've looked at everything that was in the market and Good and Blackberry were the only ones that had the capabilities that we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Have a look around. There are a lot of products out there now that have similar capabilities. BlackBerry may be a market leader but there is a whole lot of stuff it does that you may not require.

I would rate BlackBerry at seven out of 10 because it's too difficult to manage ourselves. We have to get a third-party in to do that. The fact that it breaks on some end-users' devices is also a concern and just the frequency and complexity of upgrades.

Find out what your peers are saying about BlackBerry, Microsoft, VMware and others in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Updated: September 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DP
Mobility Infrastructure Specialist at Enbridge Gas
User
BlackBerry support couldn’t figure out the issues in a timely fashion. We were able to utilize Android for Work-Premium in BlackBerry Android devices

What is our primary use case?

We used BES UEM mainly for our regulated users to lock down devices. It provided us with extra security that we couldn’t achieve with other EMM solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It didn’t help us because we ran into lot of issues, and BlackBerry support couldn’t figure out the issues in a timely fashion.

What is most valuable?

I value the way BES UEM was able to utilize Android for Work-Premium in BlackBerry Android devices.

What needs improvement?

Second level support needs to have strong knowledge of the product. My issues were always at the developer level.

TB
Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It has good ease of use, and it's intuitive

• "We can access emails within the active sync."
  • "It has a good ease of use, and its intuitive."
  • "The console needs improvement. It does not provide all the information that we are looking for as far as who has installed a certain product."
  • "As far as being able to remotely wipe a device, or remove it from the console, this is not simple to do. It is not a one-click motion, as it requires several steps."

What is our primary use case?

It is for our personal mobile devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to the product that we upgraded from, we have received great responses from our end users who are appreciative of the following:

• They can access their calendar in events better than the other product that we were using.
  • They can access their attachments.
  • It is a faster connection.
  • The interface is much better than what we had previously.
  • It is overall great for setup.
  • It has good ease of use.
  • It's intuitive.

What is most valuable?

• The security aspects of it.
  • Being able to access emails within the active sync.
  • It is a secure container product.
  • It having some browser capabilities and fast connectivity.

What needs improvement?

The console needs improvement. It does not provide all the information that we are looking for as far as who has installed a certain product. I understand this should be coming later, but it should be available now. There is a space for it now.

As far as being able to remotely wipe a device, or remove it from the console, this is not simple to do. It is not a one-click motion, as it requires several steps. So, clean-up on our side is not easy.

Trying to determine when enrollments have not been activated, or expired, is something that should be available within the console, but it is not there.

There are some gaps for our administrators to be able to do things a little bit easier.

Less than one year.

As far as stability, for the majority of this migration, it has been pretty stable. I do not have any complaints about it.

For scalability, the information that we were provided initially, it has helped us be able to scale this out with what we are trying to do, which right now is just email and web. If we needed to scale out further for additional applications, we probably would have to make sure that we can handle the number of connections. At this point, we have been just trying to do an apples-to-apples migration, and we are scaled well.

We are used to calling in for Level 3 support. In some aspects, since it is a good product that was revamped for BlackBerry, it has had its hurdles. I am used to them knowing the product inside and out, but it does take a few cycles to be able to get up to speed as to what we need.

A lot of issues that we are experiencing are being handled with upgrades. If it was just a simple how-to type of call, they are very good with that. If it requires additional troubleshooting and a deeper dive, with some of the issues that we have experienced, we have had to go find that person or two who knows the system very well. It would be beneficial to make sure that people are better trained for some of the tougher problems that come up with configuration.

We upgraded from Good, so we had no choice but to upgrade because it was at end of life.

The upgrade was simple, but it took a while to complete.

Over the years, we have evaluated other products to implement, but decided not to go with them.

The product that we were initially going to switch to, it had issues with being able to handle the upgrades that Apple was pushing. It caused some constraints with not being able to fully update their product and being able to update with the iOS updates. It caused a lot of confusion, so management was not satisfied with their level of response.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you read the planning guides, so you can thoroughly plan your architecture accordingly.

PB
Network Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I use it to access my emails, my calendar, and the web browser to look for work-related projects

• "It allows me to be able to access my email when I do not necessarily have my computer with me. I can also access my calendar when I am on public transport or outside of the office."
  • "Some users have complained that some features cannot be done through the BlackBerry Access Hub."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is secure, because it is a container. However, the way I use it is to access my emails, my calendar, and the web browser to look for work-related projects.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows me to be able to access my email when I do not necessarily have my computer with me. I can also access my calendar when I am on public transport or outside of the office.

What is most valuable?

Email, because it is the most important thing that I have to check.

What needs improvement?

The ability to integrate the calendar of BlackBerry applications, so I can put my personal information on the BlackBerry Calendar.

Some users have complained that some features cannot be done through the BlackBerry Access Hub. So, we are still working with BlackBerry on how to make this work. Other than that, everything is working correctly.

We have no scalability issues. We do have a project of greater infrastructure, but it should take time. We have discussed it with the BlackBerry engineers, so it should be fine.

Technical support is good.

For each new case, they ask the same question, "What could be improved?" They could keep records of what the client has installed in their company, so if they have to ask you a question once, then they could write it down. Then, they do not need to ask, "Can you send this, this, and this before we start looking into your problem?"

We did not have another solution before BlackBerry.

It took some time to put it into our infrastructure because we have a specific infrastructure. Then, we took the time to analyze what would be the best way to implement it in our company before we managed to find a solution.

I am not involved in the pricing and licensing.

We did an RFP, then we chose among the multiple vendors. BlackBerry turned out to be the best.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good on its own.

Take the time to focus on how the product will be integrated into the existing infrastructure to make it work the best way possible, which will result in the best user experience possible.

DW
Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is an easy setup. The configuration and installation guide are very helpful in setting up a domain.

• "There is very high flexibility for different setups of single users, so it can give a single use many different device types with different enrollment types."
  • "The newest features sometimes pop in very slowly."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is bring your own device scenario, not managing an iOS device, and keeping e-mails safely on our own private device.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using BlackBerry Work applications for accessing emails, calendars, and contacts. The users are happy to have an easy way to have access to emails on the go. The most important thing for us is to have quick communication by email and phone calls on mobile, because with many users, we are on the go every day, which is very good.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use for end users.

The security of the app is a valuable feature for us. It is mainly about storage data on the device and certifications. In addition, with longstanding BlackBerry customers, they appreciate it if you launched BlackBerry Work applications from a good technology company. Therefore, we introduced this product to our end users because it has the longstanding security name of BlackBerry on it, and we could use it safely on our side.

It is flexible to use. We can enroll multiple devices to use iPhone, iPad, and Android devices, with all that they entail. There is very high flexibility for different setups of single users, so it can give a single use many different device types with different enrollment types.

What needs improvement?

The newest features sometimes pop in very slowly.

More than five years.

It is a very stable product. We have around 400 users on it. They just use the BlackBerry Work application for about 5000 devices overall. The BlackBerry 10 device and Android are very stable and perform well in our everyday business.

We do not have any scalability issues at this time. We have enough service for quick communication on the devices. Therefore, we are very happy with it.

Sometimes tech support is excellent and very quick in replying and finding overages in detail. Other times, it is a very hard discussion when you are searching for something specific, and the system is turning over and over again. Overall, they are satisfying to work with though.

I started with S4 years ago. I moved over to the latest solution over and over again, so S4, S5, S10, and S12. Now, we are using the latest version BlackBerry UEM, and we are not using another mobility solution in our company.

The initial setup was easy to do. The configuration and installation guide are very helpful in setting up a domain, and it is very easy to set up a new domain. As we are a longstanding BlackBerry customer, we are very familiar with everythign in the router.

The product pricing is fine.

Sometimes, it is very hard to get an overview because there are so many different suites to find out what is the right thing for new customers. It is very hard to find because there are so many different licensing suite names. There is a whole suite, with four to six suite names, and they are all gold licenses and SIM-based licensing. There are very many options for us to choose from, which is good on one side, but on the other side, it is very hard to figure out what the best option is.

We sometimes look into comparing whether it is still the best option to be a BlackBerry customer or moving forward to Citrix, or something similar. At the moment, we are very happy with Blackberry UEM, so we are not looking to move away from BlackBerry.

What other advice do I have?

It has the easiest setup. You don't have to configure some picture changes in your firewall, and punching out holes in there. It has an easy infrastructure, which is very easy to explain, and very quick to obtain an overview.

We are able to get our hands on pre-release software and share our feedback safely with the product management. Also, this is the same in the case of feature enhancements.

JP
Mobile Product Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to protect data by removing it from devices, when we need to

• "The functionality with UEM and BlackBerry Works, the shared calendar, is a massive improvement for us."

What is our primary use case?

It's corporate. We own devices, and there are BYOD devices nowadays. We're in quite a high-security environment in the finance world, so we have to make sure that we are able to contain our data. UEM and BEMS allow us to be able to remove data from devices, when needed, and protect it.

How has it helped my organization?

The functionality with UEM and BlackBerry Works, the shared calendar, is a massive improvement for us. We've always been asked for that from the early days. The extra security that goes with it is also helpful. We have had some issues, and we are asking for some improvements. But I think the move from Good for Enterprise to BlackBerry Work is positive for us. We're getting very positive feedback on the user experience.

What is most valuable?

Email, obviously; to enable our users to keep in touch with the office. But also we're moving towards a BYOD kind of environment, so it's good that we can offer our users access to their mail but still not infringe on their devices.

What needs improvement?

One issue that is very annoying at that moment, that we're having an argument about with BlackBerry, is the inability to remove the signature automatically from the server. So when I open BlackBerry Work and send an email, the default is to have www.blackberry.com there, which is not great for us. We're having to tell our users that they have to remove that and set their own signature, which is fine generally, but some of our execs don't like doing things like that.

We're also having some issues with classifications at the moment, for emails.

Still implementing.

We've had no issues with stability. We've pretty much got our disaster recovery plan set up, so we're fairly good on that point.

In terms of scalability, everything is fine. We over-engineer and we work very closely with one of their engineering resources who is coming up with the design. We're not having any scalability issues at all.

Brilliant. We have always had really good support from the guys. They've always been good and sometimes we're very demanding. They have been brilliant.

We've had BlackBerry, BES 3.6 was where we started. That went through to where we are now, UEM. We then introduced, from a BYOD point of view, Good Technology, so GFE 7, GFE 8, and we also used MobileIron for some of our corporate devices to protect them. The move to UEM was because we need to make sure that the security is there, so we're moving back towards that now.

We've had BlackBerry around for so long that we're all fairly used to the requirements of it.

Historically, we had it in the bank and we were aware of its capabilities. We did, at one stage, go out and have a look at what else was there, but decided that they weren't actually what we wanted or fit for our purpose. We do constantly look.

What other advice do I have?

I've always backed BlackBerry, in fairness. I've always liked it from a very early stage. My advice would depend on where you are. We're in a very restricted, audited environment, and it does everything we need it to do. If you want to protect your stuff, then it's probably a good way to go.

I think it's a very solid product and people generally like it. We're at very early stages of moving from GFE (Good Technology for Enterprise) to BlackBerry Work, so we're seeing tasks and notes which the general population of the bank hasn't had before. But unfortunately, we're only in a technical pilot at the moment. We go to pre-live user pilot next week, so I could probably give you more feedback then, but everything seems to be fairly good at the moment and people are enjoying it.

It has always worked for us, although I'm slightly biased because I manage it and put it in. But unless there is an outside issue somewhere, like the phone network or the like, it's reliable. I can be out and about and get my emails. They come in quicker than they do to Outlook, so it does everything I need it to do when I'm out on my mobile device.

MC
    Infrastructure engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Containerization allows us to keep personal and corporate data separate, though better integration with AD is needed

• "The containerization of the BlackBerry Dynamics is the most important thing for us. It allows us to keep personal and corporate data separate on a personal device. It allows us to wipe the corporate data while leaving all the personal data in place."
    • "I would like to see better integration with our AD. Instead of having to use Active Directory groups, we'd like to use Active Directory attributes instead. There is a lot of overhead in managing. Whereas, if we could key on something tied to HR, or some other feed indicating who they are or what role they have, and manage them that way, that would be much preferable than having to manage people with Active Directory groups. Because, if people move roles, then we have to make sure that we move them from one Active Directory group to another, which is hands-on, a lot of overhead."
    • "They could improve their QA. There are many times where something will be released, a new client will be released, and something gets broken. Or they do a release and they don't take into consideration how some people may be using parts of it. Even though it's supported, they release something and it breaks it because they weren't aware of it. The biggest thing for me right now is, I would like to see improvement in their QA. I'm tired of getting broken software."

What is our primary use case?

Email contacts and calendaring on mobile devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows our mobile users to access email, contacts, calendaring, documents, and collaborate with users, all on their own mobile devices. They no longer need to always have their laptops with them to respond to an email, to edit a document, or to share information with fellow employees, or vendors.

What is most valuable?

The containerization of BlackBerry Dynamics is the most important thing for us. It allows us to keep personal and corporate data separate on a personal device. It allows us to wipe the corporate data while leaving all the personal data in place.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with our AD. Instead of having to use Active Directory groups, we'd like to use Active Directory attributes instead. There is a lot of overhead in managing. Whereas, if we could key on something tied to HR, or some other feed indicating who they are or what role they have, and manage them that way, that would be much preferable than having to manage people with Active Directory groups. Because, if people move roles, then we have to make sure that we move them from one Active Directory group to another, which is hands-on, a lot of overhead.

Also, they could improve their QA. There are many times where something will be released, a new client will be released, and something gets broken. Or they do a release and they don't take into consideration how some people may be using parts of it. Even though it's supported, they release something and it breaks it because they weren't aware of it. The biggest thing for me right now is, I would like to see improvement in their QA. I'm tired of getting broken software.

I would also like to see continued integration with the Microsoft suite of tools, Microsoft Word, Excel, etc., on a mobile device. Continue to improve that experience. Continue to move down that track, and partner with Microsoft, and other vendors, so we can make it a fully functioning suite; that we don't have to manage things on separate consoles. They should continue their strategic partnerships with others in this space, continue to move forward and allow us to have the integration that our customers want.

Three to five years.

We haven't really had problems with stability in the recent past. We were on legacy Good for a long time and it had eventually become stable. We had some problems early on. We had problems with different products being stable. But lately, except for the QA that I mentioned before - the quality analysis they do, especially on the new products, especially on their clients - it's been relatively stable.

Tech support is much better now, but only because I'm integrating with Angie Simpson, our account rep. But if I don't get her involved early, I often end up on the phone with people who appear to know less than I do. They spend time going over a lot of stuff that I've already gone over, or they don't understand the product as well they could. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it occasionally happens if I open a ticket out of the blue without Angie knowing about it. If I let Angie know I'm opening a ticket, she usually makes sure it gets in the right hands very early. But I really would prefer that I not have to go through that route. Sometimes I have to make a call in the middle of the day, or we have to open a ticket in the middle of the day. Sometimes it's a shot in the dark whether you're going to get an analyst or someone who is familiar enough with the product.

We've used two vendors. We've used BlackBerry, then we moved to Good Technology, then BlackBerry bought Good.

When we originally switched from our old solution to Good, it was the ability to manage Android and iOS devices, and manage based on personal versus corporate data. That allowed us to keep all the corporate data in a container, separate from the personal data, and we could just wipe the corporate data if needed. It was really around the BYOD phenomenon that happened back in 2012, 2015, when iOS devices and Android started coming online and enterprise people wanted to bring their own devices. They didn't want to use BlackBerrys.

There are a lot of requirements with their applications, and there are a lot of different firewall rules that have to be in place. For our environment, that makes it difficult and a struggle sometimes to get upgraded, or when there's new functionality or new firewalls, because of all of our different firewall requirements, and the way we segregate our systems.

There's a lot to learn. Their product has a quite a bit, and learning it and realizing its potential takes a lot of work and a lot of study.

In my opinion, we're paying an awful lot for what we get, compared to other vendors. I don't deal with the pricing, but it does seem to be a bit pricey for the things that we get, especially, when you compare them to other vendors, such as VMware, Citrix, who have all bought up other players in this space. VMware offers AirWatch free as part of their packages. It's difficult to compare them to those because BlackBerry just does this, but it does seem to be a bit pricey in the space, compared to some of the other vendors.

We did have other options. Good Technology was the first really real player in the BYOD space that met our needs. BlackBerry wasn't there yet. The other vendors were just starting out in that space, and Good had been doing it for a while. When we started looking at it, they were the most mature in this space, and they were the ones that best met our needs.

We have looked at VMware's AirWatch, we've looked at MobileIron, we've looked at Intune, Citrix Solutions, Zendesk. We look at most of the top players which are recommended by industry reviews.

What other advice do I have?

My advice depends on what industry you're in. If you are in a highly regulated industry such as ours, you need to take into consideration the ease of use of the product. We are in the highly regulated insurance industry, and from a security standpoint, BlackBerry best meets our needs.

If a solution is not easy to use, people will just find something else to use. If you make it too difficult for them to use the product, make it difficult for them to edit documents, view emails, or share content, they'll find ways, outside of the container and the space to do the same thing - such as personal email, personal shares - as opposed to using the corporate mobility suite.

I give Blackberry UEM a seven out of 10. From my customers' standpoint, it's reasonably easy to get set up. It's just there, and it just works. There is a lot more functionality we would like to release to our customers but, due to infrastructure restraints on our part, plus all the requirements that are always in place to install or stand up new infrastructure, or integrate with any new releases, it takes us some time to do that. We're working on that, and some of that is our issue. But, the on-premise solution, which we're using now, makes it difficult to easily get up and going, and get into our customers' hands, and get them trained on it.

Harry  Wang
    Messaging Engineer
    Every version upgrade has been straightforward

• "Whenever we have issues, people rely on the ability to check messages promptly."
    • "Every version upgrade has been straightforward."
    • "From the past to the present, before mobility location, we frequently required a restart."

What is our primary use case?

The primary reason that we use it for is notifications.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite (BEMS) or its predecessor, users could not be notified of their mobile messaging arriving on their device. They had to pull it, but this is a push function. Users rely on it. People want to know where to get devices when a message arrive.

Whenever we have issues, people rely on the ability to check messages promptly.

What is most valuable?

The primary usage for BEMS is Apple pushing notifications for email. Without that, it does not work, but that is the primary feature for which we use it. There are secondary features, such as link, but it is not a critical feature.

What needs improvement?

For BEMS, they could configure the secure documents to be easier to work with protective documents. However, this is not a critical app at this point that we use, so I am not chasing after it.

From the past to the present, before mobility location, we frequently required a restart. The newer version is better in this regard. Things do not get disconnected as much as before when, for example, we do an Exchange update, then Exchange service was interrupted. When this happens, chances will be that we need to restart the enterprise core services on the BEM Server to reconnect a everyone. Now, this particular issue is happening far less than before.

The newer version is pretty stable.

For our company, scalability is not a problem. It is not even approaching anything that I would need to be worried about.

BlackBerry tech support overall is pretty good. We have premium support, so I do not have anything negative to mention.

Previously, we did not use anything else. In this company, it has always been BlackBerry and Good (which BlackBerry bought).

Every version upgrade has been straightforward.

We may have looked at other MDM solutions other than the BlackBerry line of products, but it is the product that is already in place.

What other advice do I have?

It is a straightforward product, but it definitely needs support.

NR
    Senior Technologist at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has allowed us to manage many different mobile device platforms all through a single pane of glass

• "It has allowed us to manage many different mobile device platforms, like Windows 10, Android, Apple, and BlackBerry 10, all through a single pane of glass."
    • "It does support hardware and operating system configurations from every angle."
    • "I would like more support for Google Chromebook operating system, so I could manage it."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily for mobile device management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to manage many different mobile device platforms, like Windows 10, Android, Apple, and BlackBerry 10, all through a single pane of glass. It has been quite effective at doing this.

There has been improvements in how we know what software is available on devices, so there is better reporting. It has given us good visibility for maintaining compliance as far as operating system versions go.

It is a very comprehensive solution.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features. Some of the features that I find most valuable are how we can manage devices by device model, device type, and operating system. We can create device groups, user groups, and control. We can push special policies based on user end device groups, so this is a very important feature for me, because it allows me to separate different vendor devices and be able to report on them and control how we manage them.

In terms of flexibility, it is another level of functionality which you can provide for addressing a variety of business requirements, from managing mobile devices to pulling applications. It does support hardware and operating system configurations from every angle: How the business wants to use it, how it is installed by technical teams, and how it is supported. It is flexible. There is a cloud offering, as well, which we have not tried.

What needs improvement?

I would like more support for Google Chromebook operating system, so I could manage it. Also, I would like more management support for Apple computers.

More than five years.

There were some issues during the upgrades in the past, but that was far in the past. Recently, I can't say that I have had any stability issues.

Scalability seems to be working well. We have not had any of our UEM servers peak. We have around 1200 user managed devices, and we have never had any issues with that scaling option. It seems to scale well with that amount.

The technical support is great. We have an advanced support agreement, and we go to the Level 2 support. They are knowledgeable and know the product well. They are able to deal with our issues quickly and effectively.

We were on a competing product called BoxTone, but that was acquired by BlackBerry.

That is as far back as we go in terms of competing products.

The initial setup was very straightforward. However, I have been through the setup many times. If I was a new user or new IT staff setting up a server, it would still be very straightforward and intuitive, since there is not a lot of clicking.

You just click next, next, and you install the software. You can figure out what it needs, so it is very straightforward.

That is where it is a bit challenging for us, because there is a lot of value-add in the product with a lot of different features. With the new licensing model, there seems to be a significant increase in cost, which makes it difficult to push forward and talk with the business to say, “Here are all these other features that we can leverage. By the way, here is the increase in the cost."

That is where there are some difficulties, trying to get budget for some of the new features. Then again, the business also comes back wanting to use those new features. I am specifically referring to the good integration points. For now, the business is happy with just mobile device management. We did get a cost for those newer licenses, and the price is up there.

It seems like the licensing costs are somewhat justifiable just because of all the extra features that you are getting. If there was a licensing option with MDM only explaining its cost and spell that out in their licensing model, which is user-based, that would probably help customers more. This way they understand what the costs are and why some costs are more and some are less.

We have been a BlackBerry shop for a very long time. We did look at another option a while back, which was BoxTone, but we went back to Blackberry because of the simple pane of glass capability.

However, we are looking at Microsoft Intune, which is a competing product. We have not moved to it, but we are investigating it.

What other advice do I have?

You should do a proper architecture assessment and know how the product will scale and fit in your environment. Will you need more than one server, or just the one server, for all your usage?

Definitely do some planning from a disaster recovery perspective about where you want to have your UEM servers running in the event of a disaster.

Do some thorough planning on licensing. Pick the pieces that you need carefully, because there is a significant licensing cost.

SG
    technical support analyst lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Security is the most valuable feature. It ensures all communications are secure and PCI compliant.

• "Security is the most valuable feature, because we are a financial institution. We have a large number of clients and we have to make sure all communications are secure and PCI compliant."
    • "The entry level support needs improvement, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that we do not have premium support. Therefore, we have to go through Level 1 support for any issues."
    • "It would be nice if there was an easier way for team members to get onboarded in regards to what they have to do on the device. There are some programs like Apple DEP and Samsung Knox. Unfortunately, with these programs, to get existing users onto them, you have to factory wipe your device. If it did not have the DEP capabilities, it would be nicer if it did not have so many steps to go through. That is our biggest complaint from team members. It has too many steps."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mobile security and team members being able to access email and other functionality, in a secure manner.

We were previously on Good Control, then we upgraded to UEM.

How has it helped my organization?

We have client audits, as well as financial, government, and security audits, that we have to comply with. Mobility is always on these audits. Typically, when we provide whichever client or auditor with what mobile solution that we utilized to secure our mobile data, we usually do not have any issues passing audits from a mobile perspective because of the security around the containerized security versus using something else that would use a native email app from an iPhone or an Android.

In addition, we do have a lot of functionality additional enhancements enabled in our test environment that we will be rolling out in the next quarter.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The entry level support needs improvement, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that we do not have premium support. Therefore, we have to go through Level 1 support for any issues. Typically, by the time I have to call in a ticket in, I have already done all the Level 1 or 2 support on my end. This can be a little frustrating when you are trying to figure out an issue. The company is finally going to be signing up for premium support when we do our renewal (fingers crossed). That is my personal frustration. I have been working with the product since it was Good for Enterprise, then Good Control, and now UEM. I know our environment, so I get a little frustrated when I have to put a support ticket in.

There is always room for improvement. It would be nice if there was an easier way for team members to get onboarded in regards to what they have to do on the device. There are some programs like Apple DEP and Samsung Knox. Unfortunately, with these programs, to get existing users onto them, you have to factory wipe your device. If it did not have the DEP capabilities, it would be nicer if it did not have so many steps to go through. That is our biggest complaint from team members. It has too many steps.

We are trying to get it to that point where our user experience is better. We want to be able to provide them with more functions and features (because of our environment), and it is coming, hopefully by next year. What we are striving for is to provide our team members with a better mobile experience.

There have been a few times that there have been issues from the BlackBerry perspective that have caused a lot of headaches in our environment. Thankfully, it has been few and far between. For example, we had one time where there was an issue that caused devices to fall out of compliance because of something with Knox.

For the most part, it has been stable. It is unfortunate because you are dealing with mobile devices and you have to rely on the team member to work from their mobile device. There are times where we have issues because team members are not properly updating their phones and their Blackberry apps, regularly. There is no way to replicate all the variables out there: All the different types of device models, different types of operating system levels, and versions of apps on their phones.

If they have a version from three versions ago, I have no way of replicating that on a device to see what could be causing their issue. The only thing we can do is deactivate them, upgrade their iOS, and reprovision them. This way they have the latest, greatest everything and hope that the issue does not reoccur. With the App Store, there is just no way to get older versions of apps.

No scalability issues with the current version. We have had some issues with the previous version that we were on, but it seems to be a lot better now with the newer version.

As with any company, you will have some support staff that have been there a little bit longer and have more knowledge, then others you can tell have to keep putting you on hold to check with somebody else. I wish they would just put me through to the other person versus trying to be a go-between.

We were originally a BlackBerry shop in regards to Blackberry devices, then we started with iOS devices. We went with Good for Enterprise, so we were Good for Enterprise when were on IBM Domino. Then, when we decided to migrate from Domino to Exchange, we went with Good Control. Now, we are on UEM. We finally got rid of all our legacy BlackBerry devices, so we are strictly iOS right now, and all of our mobile iOS devices are on UEM.

Because we were upgrading from Good Control to UEM, it was very complex to do that method. I have a separate UEM environment on the international side where we did not have to do the migration from Good Control to UEM, setting up the policies and everything, and getting everything working over there was much easier. However, upgrading from Good Control to UEM, it is very complex.

I have not done the final step which is the big database sink. This scares the living heck out of me.

I have been told it is a little pricey.

Back when we were looking at iOS devices, we did a demo with AirWatch and tried to test the IBM MaaS360 solution. The MaaS360 was not sufficient enough for our information security department. A couple other ones that we looked into did not have the security perimeters. AirWatch was more comparable, but because of the investment that we already had with Good for Enterprise, and it was familiar to the team members, our management decided to stay with Good, which then morphed into BlackBerry, versus attempting to go with a different product.

What other advice do I have?

If you are trying to go from Good Control to UEM, I would highly recommend going the rip and replace method. Where you set up a brand new environment and go make your users have to deactivate off of one and activate on the other.

We tried to go with a method of being the least invasive for our team members, and in hindsight, I wish we would not have done it. It seems like there is more room for issues.

Our biggest concern is security, and Blackberry definitely meets our requirements in regards to security, which is why we still have it.

AM
    IT Sys. Admin Front office
    Enabled us to build strict security with Kerberos; users don't have to fill in their AD password on their devices

• "It was an improvement when we got the Tasks and the Notes as well as Connect for Skype For Business."
    • "The most important feature is Blackberry Work, for sure, because that is where you have email."
    • "What we don't have at the moment is RDP from the device to some kind of PC. Another feature would be access to a delegate's mailbox and I think that is to come in one of the next releases. There have been a lot of requests for that type of feature where, for example, a secretary can access the mailbox of the boss."
    • "The only thing is that the UEM service is a little slow. We have a product production environment, and a test environment and both of them are a little slow. When you are using the UEM Web interface, it takes time to load."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to get mobile access for things like email, that is the most important thing; when you're traveling or not at the campus. We use it for access to email, to the internet and to office stuff when not in the office.

How has it helped my organization?

People were used to accessing their email, etc., as we had BlackBerry Enterprise Service before. That's the biggest benefit, that you have your access to email, agenda, to your contacts when you're traveling around.

It was also an improvement when we got the Tasks and the Notes as well as Connect for Skype For Business. Those are the apps that brought improvement

What is most valuable?

The most important is BlackBerry Work, for sure because that is where you have email, and access to the emails is the most important thing for the users.

Access to the internet is also important, as well as calendar. The personal information management - email, calendar, contacts - are important, as well, perhaps as the Outlook features Tasks or Notes. Those are the most used.

What needs improvement?

What we don't have at the moment is RDP from the device to some kind of PC. That would perhaps become important. I don't know if that's coming from the BlackBerry Apps environment, or if that would be from a third-party.

It might also be good to have some SAP apps. That's not in the BlackBerry, but it's in the container. Because we all have our business apps in the BlackBerry container, I count them as also being business apps.

More than five years.

It's really very rare for us to have had got problems with stability of the environment. For, a minimum of one year it has been running without any problems. There was an issue, where we configured something, and we had a problem with stability. But other than changes to the configuration, we have not had any problems with the stability.

We haven't really had any scalability issues. The only thing is that the UEM service is a little slow. We have a product production environment, and a test environment and both of them are a little slow. When you are using the UEM Web interface, it takes time to load. I don't know if that is because of the number of users, but generally, scalability is not a problem. If we had a very large number of users to add, I think we would find a solution, so that should be no problem.

We are quite satisfied with the technical support. It's running quite well. It's quite easy, no problem to open up a ticket. Our technical account manager is also very good because he checks for a solution, or perhaps he can push a ticket a little. But overall, we have had a good experience with their support.

We were using the old BlackBerry solution, BlackBerry Enterprise server. Then we switched to the Good solution. And then Good Technology was bought by BlackBerry and we were using BlackBerry again.

The setup was a bit complex because of our requirements. We had to build very strict security. We wanted to do the whole thing with Kerberos, so that you don't have to fill in your Active Directory password on the device, and that was a bit complex.

The normal setup is not too complex, but if you want to have an extra-secure process with Kerberos authentication then it's a bit complex. When you want to do it like we did, you need help. I don't think it's really possible to reach that level by yourself.

When I talk to our account manager, or with our sales guy, they both say we have one of the most secure environments, and one of the most perfectly built-up environments they've ever seen. So we reached a very good level there.

We looked at several solutions, comparing BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite vs AirWatch, and Absynth, which came up a few years ago. We had a closer look at Abysnth but it wasn't able to deliver the way we wanted it so they were out. We had a close look at Good Technology and then it was acquired quite fast.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise having somebody supporting you when setting it up because you can create a very secure setup. As we are in the defense industry, we wanted a secure setup and used consulting and support to create a good setup. If you create such a setup, a secure setup, you will have a really fine solution.

I rate it an eight out of 10, which is quite good. It is not perfect, but it's on the way to perfect. If there are a few more features and there is a little more advancement, I think it's a very good solution. We have a good solution, satisfied customers within our company. The stability is very good. It is running quite well.

KL
    Moblity lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Container application gives us the most secure possible setup

• "It gives us the ability to have a container and the most secure possible application."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the PIM, it's a personal information manager: mailbox, browsing, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important aspect was for us is to have better security. It gives us the ability to have a container and the most secure possible application. It gives us the most secure situation.

What is most valuable?

The mailbox. The mailbox is the most important and is the feature we use most.

What needs improvement?

Currently, I don't have any suggestions because it does the job perfectly. It's really great to have a container application. For us, that is the most important part.

It's very stable. There were some very minor and specific issues, but no larger issues.

No issues with scalability at all.

They provide quick replies, they're very kind and perfectly professional. I have no problem with tech support.

We have VMware AirWatch but not for this use case, so we can't compare. We needed it to have a container application. We have a very sensitive user population, in terms of security. Our clients need the most secure usage. That's why we switched to BlackBerry, the security is outstanding.

The previous product was Good Technology for Enterprise. The main concern was to continue with BlackBerry, the new products, and not change.

The management and implementation were done by me, I'm the solution architect. There was no problem with this. It was very simple.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate to contact the vendor for help, if needed. Also, be sure that your use case is met by the product; for example, the security. Perhaps you don't need to have security because your environment is not very sensitive. Check issues like that.

I give it a 10 out of 10. All our user adoption is done, and the experience has been very good, no problems.

DL
      Head of Mobility at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Improves our users' collaboration with clients, but zipping and uploading logs takes too long

• "It was a big improvement to activate applications with one authentication. That was a big plus for the user experience."
      • "The most important features would be instant messaging and the security that we get from the containerization."
      • "I know for the BlackBerry Connect, our users want to see more features, such as audio and video. I know the current version doesn't have that."

What is our primary use case?

The BlackBerry Suite is used for mail, collaboration, instant messaging, and secure browsing.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the ability of our mobility users, such as business partners, to collaborate with their clients a lot more freely and without having to carry multiple devices.

It also improved the way all the applications work together. The activation feature was a big improvement from the UEM. It was a big improvement to activate applications with one authentication. That was a big plus for the user experience.

What is most valuable?

The most important would be instant messaging and the security that we get from the containerization.

When I say security, I mean policies that we can put down, not allowing our data to be leaked. Since we're a BYO shop - bring your own device - we like to make sure that the company's data is secure and not being leaked.

What needs improvement?

It takes a lot of time to export the logs, zip them, and upload them. With Good Technology, there was actually a feature from the GUI, right from the console, I was able to send the logs. I was able send my server logs to Good and that was very convenient. What I'm noticing now, and it feels like I took a step back, is that I have to zip logs again and upload them. And that takes a lot of time.

I know for the BlackBerry Connect, our users want to see more features, such as audio and video. I know the current version doesn't have that. I think that's one of the major features in the collaboration when it comes to the messaging part, the Connect.

It is very stable. I haven't had any major outages. The only issue we have, and I don't think we have too much control over it, is when devices, OS's such as iOS, do an update that breaks the application. That's usually beyond our control.

The scalability is great for our organization. I haven't had any issue with performance.

Technical support is above average. The only thing I would like them to improve is, when I open up a case, I don't want to have to see the script requiring me to tell them what version I'm on, what patch, serial number, etc. I feel that as soon as I open a case, that information should already be uploaded. I shouldn't have to give my version I'm running every time I open a case.

In terms of taking care of us, it depends on what the escalation point is. If it's an emergency, usually I usually get a call right away. We have Premium Support so we do get good support. In terms of the amount of time, sometimes they tend to investigate or we have to inform them to escalate to an engineer for certain things. But, overall, it's above average.

Previously we were a Good Technology shop and Good was purchased by BlackBerry. Before this product, we evaluated VMware AirWatch and I think the better move was just going from Good to Blackberry because, at the time, it was still the better solution.

The setup wasn't complex. It was a lot better than the older versions, and that is because they integrated the Good Technology. The Good Technology, I have to say, was really good.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good, secure product. It still needs a little more development to grow. I would say test it and see if it fits.

Overall, I give it a strong seven out of 10. The reason is that work is needed when it comes to other platforms, such as Windows and Mac. But as for mobile devices, I think they're spot on.

it_user3222
      Manager of System Security with 501-1,000 employees
      Not the sleekest of solutions with a rather clumsy user interface but a good choice if you need true data protection

Valuable Features:

The container approach gets you separation between private and corporate data. This does mean that you eliminate the risk of wiping private data during a remote wipe as well as remove the risk of data leakage between when the device is lost and when it is wiped.

Room for Improvement:

Clumsy user interface Expensive No cloud delivery platform Iffy support for O365

it_user1875
      Director of IT at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Device agnostic and provides access in a controlled manner. I wish the interface were more robust.

Valuable Features:

Provides access to our Lotus Notes system in a controlled and managed manner. Is device agnostic with a similar interface for the gamet of devices in the market.

Room for Improvement:

The application is consistent across devices, but the interface is not as robust as you would expect for an enterprise solution. The application should have more user functionality and interface better with the independent operating systems it runs on.