RC
President at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Good last line of defence with capabilities to detect attacks but needs to reduce false positives

• "In most cases, the solution's ability to detect in the MITRE framework, and its ability to be able to detect attacks in any one of seven or eight different areas of the life cycle of an attack is very useful."
  • "The product needs to continue to offer better alerts. In particular, around false positives. It needs to reduce them from happening."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as the last line of defense for the customer. In regards to network security technologies that focus on protecting the network, the endpoint, if something gets through, someone brings it in, the endpoint protection will actually, as our last line of defense, detect it, prevent it from executing, and in some cases, actually remediate the issue. This solution is the last line of defense within your organization for events such as a breach and it also protects users.

What is most valuable?

In most cases, the solution's ability to detect in the MITRE framework and its ability to be able to detect attacks in any one of seven or eight different areas of the life cycle of an attack is very useful.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to the solution lacking any features per se.

In terms of reviewing the product, I've been dealing with it for about four or five years.

The stability isn't something that we measure. We're consultants and we just advise clients on if the solution is protecting them correctly or not. We don't look at stability issues.

As consultants, we don't look at scaling. It's not an aspect of the solution I can comment on.

We don't integrate or set the system up. I couldn't speak to how the deployment process happens, or how easy or hard it is. That's not an aspect of the solution we handle. We have nothing to do with implementing or managing the solution.

We don't handle the implementation process at all or advise clients on it.

We deal with a variety of other solutions in the market. It depends on which our clients are working with. We evaluate their security based on what they have. Sometimes it's Cylance, however, that's not always the case.

What other advice do I have?

We're consultants. We don't have a direct relationship with Cylance. We are working with clients on security, and handle assurance-type work for them. We're not specifically working with Cylance, however, in some cases, we may be providing it from a security review standpoint. We'd look at the client and at the product and ask: Do they have it configured properly? Are they using it properly in their overall security strategy? et cetera.

We're not managing it, we're not integrating it or installing in anything in that. We just look at it from a security review or assessment standpoint and tell the customer whether or not they have it properly implemented based upon what they're trying to accomplish.

Clients may use a hybrid or a cloud deployment model and may have it on various clouds, such as AWS or Azure.

I general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

LS
IT Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good security, cloud-based administration, lightweight, and stable

• "We are quite security-focused. Blackberry Protect as an endpoint solution for our service really delivers what we are expecting."
  • "We would like to see secure integration and multi-factor authentication to be able to access the administration dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using Blackberry Protect as our main endpoint solution, for threat prevention, script control, and scanning of malware. This is the core functionality of the Protect module.

We have the Blackberry Optics, which is the AI module of Blackberry Protect. It is called Blackberry Protect Plus Optics. The Optics feature logs all of the behavior of the servers. For example, when someone runs a PowerShell script and it blocks, it will learn the behavior and knows what to do the next time another user triggers that specific functionality.

It is currently deployed on-premises but our administration dashboard is in the cloud.

The agents are installed for our servers and reporting is to the Blackberry cloud.

What is most valuable?

This is still new to us. We have explored this solution and it fulfills our requirements, in terms of live malware detection.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the management of the application of agents, especially for us as an IT team the dashboard is much easier to manage in the McAfee solution.

We were looking to have a multi-factor authentication with the administration dashboard to log in, because it's cloud-based.

There is no integration with Google Authenticator and other solution providers.

We have been using Blackberry Protect for just less than a year.

We are two versions behind the latest one.

Definitely, Blackberry Protect is a stable product. We have not had any kind of blue screen of death or crosstabs.

It's really lightweight in terms of resource consumption as well and in terms of memory and CPU consumption, it's quite low which is very good for us for other applications.

It's a scalable solution.

We have approximately 150 people in our organization who are using it.

We are also using Microsoft Outlook to block any kind of unwanted applications, which our users try to run in the background.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You just click on the MSI and provide the key to register for it to sync to the cloud dashboard.

We have a team of seven IT resources who have an account under Blackberry administration.

We pay our license on a yearly basis and have just renewed for two years.

We have not evaluated other options. For the time being, we are very satisfied with what we have.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

There is always room for improvement. I would rate Blackberry Protect an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Blackberry Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BK
Security Domain Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Great protection against unauthorized applications but user interface is somewhat outdated

• "It secures different entry points into the network."
  • "The user interface is outdated."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for endpoint security. It protects your computer or any other device from any malware, APT or spyware. We are customers and I'm the security domain architect of the company.

What is most valuable?

What is valuable to me is the protection the solution provides against unauthorized applications. It secures different entry points into the network so that instead of being outside the internet, it's actually in the network and helps to protect internally.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's very outdated. The solution could also do with more help actions and explanations such as what has been identified, things like that.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The stability of the solution is awesome.

This is a very scalable solution and easy to deploy. We have about 2,500 users in the company which is pretty much everybody.

I would say it's really good because I've only had to use it once. The product is really low maintenance and easy to configure. So I really haven't had to do very much.

We moved over to this solution because it was more advanced at being able to identify how the malware is going to attack or how it's going to interfere with the operating system. There are just more tools to help security at the end point.

I wasn't involved in the setup, we have an IT department that deals with that. They were replacing another solution with this and the roll out took about a year to get to all the end users.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone thinking about implementing the solution to go through a testing phase and see how the solution interacts with the users and cost out the employee population of the company. I've had this experience in another company and sometimes when you roll out a new product it can really change the way users work, sometimes negatively, and it can impact the business.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

SJ
Head of IT Operations at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Lightweight, does not require constant updates, and we have great trust in what it delivers

• "The Application Guard and ByteGuard are useful features."
  • "The OPTICS component could be made more user-friendly with respect to giving people more information."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using CylancePROTECT and CyclanceOPTICS.

Our primary use case is an anti-virus solution.

It is deployed globally throughout the organization.

What is most valuable?

Cylance is quite lightweight and does not require constant updates.

The Application Guard and ByteGuard are useful features.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues that we have around our configuration, so I think that more training with respect to setup and configuration would be helpful.

I have been using Cylance for the past year and it has been in the organization for a couple of years.

This solution is very stable.

Cylance scales very well both on clients and servers. We have between 4,000 and 5,000 users.

I have not personally been in touch with technical support, but I know that when we have contacted them about anything in the past, they've been very responsive. Our account management team is very good, as well.

The company did use another solution prior to Cylance, but I don't know what it was.

The initial setup is very straightforward and the deployment took a few days.

We got a hold of the installation files and deployed them ourselves.

I think that the price we are paying is good for what it is. It could always be cheaper, but cheaper doesn't make it better.

What other advice do I have?

Cylance is a product that I recommend trying. It is different from the traditional products that are out there like Symantec, McAfee, and Sophos.

This technology is very good, very stable, and we have great trust in it and what it delivers. They also do health checks from time to time and they help, which is useful.

This solution works well but there is always room for improvement. Nothing is perfect.

HP
VP at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Lightweight, good support, and the protection against Word macros and scripts is helpful

• "The most valuable features are script blocking and macros within Word documents for stopping unwanted applications from running in the background."
  • "The process of whitelisting a script that you want to be able to run can be a little bit difficult, or awkward."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and CylancePROTECT is one of the products that we offer to our customers.

The standard configuration is an agent that is deployed to every workstation. It protects against malware, scripting, and other threats using its built-in AI business logic.

The dashboard is good.

There is not too much overhead, which is good because you don't want unnecessary things that just build in bulk.

What needs improvement?

The process of whitelisting a script that you want to be able to run can be a little bit difficult, or awkward. Some enhancements to this process would be an improvement.

I have been working with CylancePROTECT for about three years.

The stability is very good.

This is a scalable product. About 600 people in our organization use it.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support. However, we do have a support ticket, the odd time, and I would say that the support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

The management platform is in the cloud and there is an agent on each device.

We have an in-house team that deploys this product for our customers.

This cost of the license is approximately $5 USD monthly per user.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Akhlaq Ahmed
BlackBerry Cylance SME - Resident Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good endpoint protection, stable, easy to install, and the support is good

• "I like the AI and mathematical components that they use."
  • "It's a good solution but some features just need to be updated."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution as a customer and I provide services for my clients. We are system integrators and we use this solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

I like the AI and mathematical components that they use.

I like the pre-execution method of protection that prevents infection. It is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

I have already suggested features that need to be improved and Blackberry is already working on those improvements. For example, the interface and the Cylance Optics need to be improved a fair bit.

It's a good solution but some features just need to be updated.

I have been using Blackberry Protect for almost four years.

Blackberry Protect is stable. I have not experienced any issues with bugs or had any limitations with this Blackberry product. It's a good solution.

Technical support is good, but the response time could be improved. They can take two or three days to get back to you with a solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy to install.

It's not so heavily priced; rather, it's average and decent.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend going with Blackberry Cylance, it's good.

It's a very lightweight agent that doesn't put very much pressure on the computers, it's really good in terms of resources.

I would rate Blackberry Protect a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MP
Technology Specialist at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Innovative concept with good detection, scans, and machine learning

• "Has good RAM capacity for the power I need"
  • "It should have better support for Windows and Mac."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are that it's:

• Easy to use
  • Minimalist
  • Has good RAM capacity for the power I need.
  • Isn't bulky.

What needs improvement?

It should have better support for Windows and Mac.

I have been using Cylance for one year.

It's stable.

I haven't needed to scale. I use this solution daily.

I have used other free products.

You can't directly compare those solutions with Cylance because they're free products and Cylance is paid. It's not good to compare them.

I had a virus attack and malware on my PC even when I used the free solutions. I don't think it works. Those solutions were very bad. They did not have good detection. You can't rely on them because they're not paid for.

The initial setup was easy. It took around an hour and a half. We deployed it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is that it's a popular product and you should really go for it. Cylance is a new company with a very innovative concept. I really like its detection, its scans, and the machine learning.

I would recommend this solution. I'd rate Cylance a nine out of ten.

KO
Senior NOC Security Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
MSP
A flexible solution with robust endpoint malware protection

• "I find the actual overall endpoint malware protection the most valuable feature of CylancePROTECT."
  • "I'd like them to do software distribution too, but they said that that's architecturally not at the product line."

What is our primary use case?

We use CylancePROTECT for overall endpoint malware protection.

How has it helped my organization?

CylancePROTECT works really well with the way we work. It's flexible. It moves with people, whether you're virtual or working off-site or working here or whatever, it doesn't matter. We can manage it all in one place.

What is most valuable?

I find the actual overall endpoint malware protection the most valuable feature of CylancePROTECT.

What needs improvement?

I'd like them to do software distribution too, but they said that that's architecturally not at the product line. I'd like to see where they can push to avoid using another product to push the agents.

I have been using CylancePROTECT for almost seven years.

It's a stable solution, and I haven't seen anything bad.

CylancePROTECT's scalability seems very good. All the way from one to 100,000. We've seen it go both ways. All the way around. I've been in organizations that have had it too—they were much larger.

Technical support is very good and pretty responsive.

We used Carbon Black before and switched to CylancePROTECT because it failed.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Private Cloud
Download our free Blackberry Protect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.