BlazeMeter OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BlazeMeter is #7 ranked solution in top Performance Testing Tools, #10 ranked solution in top Test Automation Tools, and #13 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. IT Central Station users give BlazeMeter an average rating of 8 out of 10. BlazeMeter is most commonly compared to Apache JMeter: BlazeMeter vs Apache JMeter. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is BlazeMeter?
CA BlazeMeter ensures delivery of high-performance software by enabling DevOps teams to quickly and easily run open-source-based performance tests against any mobile app, website or API at massive scale to validate performance at every stage of software delivery. The rapidly growing CA BlazeMeter community has more than 100,000 developers and includes prominent global brands such as Adobe, Atlassian, Gap, NBC Universal, Pfizer and Walmart as customers. Founded in 2011, the company is headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif., with its research and development in Tel Aviv.

BlazeMeter is also known as JMeter Cloud.

Download the Performance Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

BlazeMeter Customers
DIRECTV, GAP, MIT, NBCUniversal, Pfizer, StubHub
BlazeMeter Video

Archived BlazeMeter Reviews (more than two years old)

RM
IT Systems Development Manager at Autostrade per l'Italia
The addition of structure to our load testing process has saved us time

• "BlazeMeter has allowed us to simplify and speed up our load testing process."
  • "A possible improvement could be the integration with APM tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use BlazeMeter to perform load testing on our different web portals. Starting from JMeter scripts and based on users' behavior, we use the BlazeMeter workspace to adjust ramp-up. We study contemporary users and different scenarios in order to meet business expectations in terms of the required SLA.

How has it helped my organization?

BlazeMeter has allowed us to simplify and speed up our load testing process. Before BlazeMeter, we used to set up an ad-hoc infrastructure with no formal structure in terms of the scope, or how and when to provision it. This meant additional costs in terms of resources and time for managing the load-test infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The reuse of JMeter scripts has allowed us to have continuity with the past, meaning that we didn't need to change the way we write scripts and collaborate with business users. Furthermore, it has given us a common way to modelize our campaigns with different technical partners, or different development teams.

What needs improvement?

A possible improvement could be the integration with APM tools. Different plugins for the most common APM tools could help to reconcile traffic charges with application behavior. For example, a root cause analysis of bottlenecks or analysis of non-linear behavior in applications.

One year.
reviewer1080093
User
Enables us to monitor our application instances as well as our database to see where the bottlenecks are

• "It has helped us simulate heavy load situations so we can fix performance issues ahead of time."
  • "My only complaint is about the technical support, where sometimes I found that they would not read into and understand the details of my question before answering it."

What is our primary use case?

We use BlazeMeter to run simple POST requests against our application to simulate heavy load. We can then monitor our application instances as well as our database to see where the bottlenecks are.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us simulate heavy load situations so we can fix performance issues ahead of time. This ensures that we are ready for real customer load.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is simply the ability to have a basic POST request while simulating many users at one time. Being able to determine either a number of iterations or having all users hit the application for a duration, are both useful options.

What needs improvement?

My only complaint is about the technical support, see further details below regarding customer support.

It would improve the product if their Chrome extension allowed you to modify the JMeter settings.

Less than one year.

So far I haven't encountered any issues so it seems very stable to me.

We have only used basic, but for one thousand users, it works great.

Their support is pretty good and normally gets back to me within one day. One time, instead of the support rep taking the time to understand the details of my inquiry and source of my confusion, they pointed me to documentation to assist me in finding the answer on my own.  On the documentation page, I had to go into a few links in order to find the answer. The rep could have easily said "here is the documentation where we have the information, and you'll need to go here and do this to fix your problem."

I appreciate when support makes it feel like they understand your exact issue and then tell you exactly how to fix it. I also prefer when support gives you exactly what you need as they know the product best.

BlazeMeter was the first tool that I used.

I found the initial setup to be pretty simple. I'm using JMeter, so I had to do a bit of research myself on how to change some of the JMeter settings that their Chrome add-on does not allow you to modify.

This solution was recommended by a colleague, and I did not evaluate other options.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Apache, Micro Focus and others in Performance Testing Tools. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OM
Data Modeler Manager / Application Development Manager at CIGNA Corporation
Easy integration of open source tools

What is our primary use case?

To load performance testing of web/mobile apps.

How has it helped my organization?

WIP.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity Easy integration of open source tools Moderate migration of ALM scripts.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

What is our primary use case?

To load performance testing of web/mobile apps.

How has it helped my organization?

WIP.

What is most valuable?

• Simplicity
  • Easy integration of open source tools
  • Moderate migration of ALM scripts.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

reviewer1006989
User
Enabled us to identify bottlenecks in our infrastructure and better prepares us for large amounts of traffic

What is our primary use case?

We have an AWS elastic beanstalk Node.js express backend with Mongodb that we expect to experience a significant amount of load in the coming weeks.

How has it helped my organization?

BlazeMeter has allowed my organization to identify bottlenecks in our infrastructure and better prepare for large amounts of traffic.

What is most valuable?

The test scenario definition feature is extremely easy to use and makes configuring tests an extremely fast process. I have found this feature to be the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

More runs per month for the basic plan would be useful. Also, being able to stream logs from AWS and integrate them with the test reports would be excellent.

Less than one year.

This solution seems very stable.

The product seems extremely scalable.

Great and responsive!

No, this was the first solution.

It was extremely easy to get set up.

In-house team with a lot of expertise.

Cost is a little high but is reasonable for a startup at our scale. For personal use I believe the pricing for the paid plans is a bit out of reach.

BlazeMeter was the clear choice for our infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Excellent product!

it_user577332
Development Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Can quickly scale out a load test across the world, to simulate realistic world traffic conditions.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to quickly scale out a load test across the world, just to simulate realistic world traffic conditions.

How has it helped my organization?

For us in particular, we're a product that gets heavily used during the election season. We've always had trouble handling this burst in the past, so this past year, I've started using BlazeMeter at this company. We took from January to July using BlazeMeter to really model out what the traffic looked like in previous years and to be able to handle the load when November came and it went through just fine without a glitch.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, it's heavily based on putting a load on systems through API endpoints/HTTP endpoints. There is a lot of existing tooling out there in organizations that deal with a Selenium-based test and they only have a Selenium web driver option right now, which is not the nicest thing to use. Organizations currently have Selenium tests written and, like us for example, a huge suite in Java. It would be nice to be able to just throw them in there.

I’ve been using BlazeMeter for about four years.

This is a cloud-based solution. I've never really had any trouble with it.

We have not had scalability issues for our needs. We're talking about scaling stuff out to hundreds of thousands of requests per second and those in turn generate a lot more traffic internally. So with whatever we use, it's perfectly fine.

We did not use technical support.

We didn't have a previous solution. I personally came to this company in the past year and a half. I've always used BlazeMeter at my other companies and there was a big, gaping hole here. They were doing everything manually with running JMeter tests and this was just a natural fit.

For this audience, if you know JMeter, everything is pretty straightforward. You just sign up and upload your test. As far as support goes, if you do run into stuff, they have a little button on the side that lets you chat with them.

This is all in-house.

That's tough to calculate, but I can tell you that BlazeMeter helped increase quality-of-service (QoS) which in turn leads to customers having a positive experience with the product. That, of course, leads to less churn which is a good thing.

The pricing works. They're flexible. They work with you.

There was LoadStorm, loader.io, and blitz.io.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely ask your engineering staff if they're familiar with JMeter. If they're not, it would be good to get a quick two-hour tutorial on it and then BlazeMeter will make a lot more sense.

it_user587709
User
For heavy load testing on a specific application, we did not encounter any stability or scalability issues.

What is most valuable?

We were doing load testing. We were testing web servers, and we needed to confirm that our servers were performing as well as the old ones.

How has it helped my organization?

One example of what happened is that we noticed that there was a significant difference between our two sites. It turned out that there was a configuration on the network side so after we fixed that, the performance was much better.

It helped to identify where there were problems, and then we could go investigate and figure out what was going on. We didn't just do one test, but this was a one-time sanity check on the new environment. One time lasted three months, but during that time, I would say we did it once a week.

What needs improvement?

There was one feature that I wanted that they didn't have. The feature was starting two tests simultaneously, but keeping the data separate, and showing separate graphs from two different test instances on the same display.

What happened is that I was trying to run two tests at the same time so I would have to do one in one window, one in the other window, and there was a few seconds difference, which was okay. Then, I would have to take the tests in one browser, and compare them to the tests in another browser.

If they could combine functionality and put them side by side with the same scale for me, that would've been ideal. I was using one standard testing configuration.

We used it, I would say, for three months, to do performance testing on a very specific application.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

We didn't have any scalability issues. I can't remember how many users we had. We weren't doing incredible load testing. We were just using heavy load testing. There were no issues on the BlazeMeter side.

I would rate the technical support as 9/10, as I used it quite a few times. There was one instance where there was a timing mixup with a support engineer, which I was disappointed about, but the service was totally great. I would call them up with a question, they would answer it. It was fine.

I did not use any solution previously. I chose them because somebody else in my company had used them before, and had told me that they were very good.

The setup was straightforward. We had a very simple setup. We had a very simple testing scenario. After I watched the one-hour video, how the thing works, and then it showed up your URLs to test, I entered that, and there were two options we had to choose. Technically, it was very straightforward just for pure load testing.

The pricing was straightforward. That was no issue. To have the features, the special features that I wanted, realistically it could've been cheaper, but you get what you pay for. It was fair pricing, it was just a lot for our purchasing pipeline.

I did a small evaluation, not very intensive. I would say a very small evaluation. Nothing significant.

What other advice do I have?

I would say use it, but people also have to know that they have to do their own due diligence and they have to make sure that their servers are okay. My advice would be to gather statistics on the servers as the tests are running, so that if the test indicates that there's something wrong, you can quickly look to the CPU, to the memory, to get an idea if it looks like it's an internal issue, or if it looks like it's an external issue.

it_user613551
Lead Software QA Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It can push large numbers of simulated users at our applications and provides access to detailed reports.

What is most valuable?

The ability to push large numbers of simulated users at our applications and having access to detailed reports: This helps us to have peace of mind that our apps can stand up to production-level loads and beyond.

How has it helped my organization?

We no longer have to guess whether deploying new code will affect performance or not. This ensures we are ready to meet customer demand, even at peak traffic times.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have better insights when tests fail to run properly or when the load engines occasionally break. There have been times when a test fails to start, sometimes due to a bug in my script and other times due to a problem on BlazeMeter’s side, that have required contacting support. It would be better if the interface proved enough feedback via logs, etc., for me to determine the cause and possibly fix it without needing to wait for BlazeMeter support.

I have used BlazeMeter for three years.

Occasionally, we have long wait times or trouble starting tests.

One load engine was not sufficient to run the JMeter scripts that I’ve written. Scaling up to seven load engines largely eliminated these issues.

Support is adequate. Getting initial responses for support issues can sometimes be slow.

It was very straightforward to upload the JMeter scripts and supporting files, and start running tests.

It is somewhat expensive, but the amount of testing and peace of mind it gives us is well worth the cost.

We considered creating our own internal JMeter farm, but in the end decided BlazeMeter would do a better job of end-to-end testing.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to improve your website performance and ensure maximum uptime by load testing your system from end to end, then there is no better solution that I have found. It is extremely simple to setup.

it_user613536
QA Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We are able to see the errors compiled, along with their responses.

What is most valuable?

The metrics are a great feature for analyzing each test. Being able to see the errors compiled, along with their responses, has been very useful.

We also love having the ability to compare multiple test results in one screen. The multi-test feature is very useful as well. The ease for creating tests in BlazeMeter has been wonderful.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to run performance tests in order to help determine if we can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The ability to run node.js scripts needs to improve.

I have used this solution for around two months.

We have not encountered any particular stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The setup was pretty straightforward.

It would be nice to have more flexible pricing options.

What other advice do I have?

Having a simple setup and being able to get the tests up and running right away, is the key for this solution.

it_user607422
Software Developer at a media company with 51-200 employees
The URL testing is valuable. It is not a complete load-testing solution.

What is most valuable?

Other than URL testing, there are no pieces of this software that are actually useful to us.

How has it helped my organization?

We were planning to load test this product for a significant release. It was somewhat helpful.

What needs improvement?

There are only certain features that actually work. Their URL testing and JMeter tests work only if testing URLs. If testing anything else, like WebDriver tests using JMeter and BlazeMeter, they do not work.

We have used it for close to two years but we are planning to NOT extend our licensing.

We had stability problems several times and we lost all our credits.

We did have scalability problems.

Technical support was OK for some situations.

We did not use a previous solution.

Setup was straightforward and simple.

I feel it’s overpriced unless they fix several things on their end.

We did evaluate other options, but we chose this one because setup was easy.

What other advice do I have?

Look for your needs. This product is not a complete load-testing solution. It does offer certain types of load testing like URL testing but, other than that, we did not find them useful.

it_user602865
Senior Quality Assurance Automation Engineer / Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
I like the ability to spin up as many load generators as I need, and get statistics on response times and the load generators themselves.

What is most valuable?

I really like the ability to spin up as many load generators as I need, and get statistics on response times and the load generators themselves. BlazeMeter support and flexibility is also hugely valuable.

To accurately test load on a webserver it takes traffic (load) from multiple “load generators”.
A load generator is a machine running load testing software (like Jmeter).
Clearly, one couldn’t accurately test 10 load balanced webservers with traffic from a standard desktop.
If one did and saw performance issues, the most likely source would be the desktop doing the testing, or the connection.
If no performance issues were seen it could be that the desktop was not able to emulate the specified load.

One blind spot of Jmeter is it does not tell the user how many threads their machine can handle. Users need to know how to monitor. Most users don’t, and set the threads higher than the machine can handle.
Blazemeter:

- Handles all that complication and makes using Jmeter simple

- Has expert staff that can point you in the right direction if your tests are not working

- Allows users to select how many load generators (machines running Jmeter) will be used during a given test.

o There are a few different contract options (1 server, 5 servers)

o Custom contracts for any number of servers you need. I really appreciate their flexibility on the contracts.

How has it helped my organization?

Building an in-house group of load generation JMeter servers to load test usually takes time and effort. BlazeMeter makes all that simple.

I have used JMeter for 4 years and BlazeMeter on and off for 2 to 3 years.

There were some minor issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues here. Scalability is one of the wonderful parts of working with BlazeMeter.

Technical support has been great.

I’ve used JMeter from several load generator servers I set up to work together.

Initial setup was easy.

If you don’t see the option you need, just ask them. You’ll be able to get a custom contract. It is not free, but it is a fantastic deal compared to anything else out there.

Most recently I have been using a custom contract with Blazemeter rather than a standard month to month contract. That allows me to pay by test hours times servers used. So I can spin up as many load generators as I need. The statistics on response times and the load generators themselves are standard Blazemeter features available to anyone with a contract. BlazeMeter support has several times helped me figure out what was going on with my tests, that saved me a chunk of time. It's always nice to have some insight from a true Jmeter expert.

We considered setting up our own set of load generation JMeter servers. We also looked at HPE LoadRunner and SoapUI.

What other advice do I have?

BlazeMeter is an easy way to get really accurate results from JMeters that you already have without having to build a set of networked JMeters (e.g., one with the UI running a bunch GUI-less slave machines).

it_user602877
Senior Performance Engineer/ Staff Qa Member at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
It can generate a heavy load and provide a report that shows how the system behaved under the load.

What is most valuable?

Ability to generate heavy load (up to 5000 concurrent users)

Provide performance transactions summary & statistics

These features are valuable because, in my company, there is a requirement for the product to support up to 5000 concurrent users. As a performance engineer, it’s important to have a tool (like BlazeMeter) to generate heavy load and at the same time provide a report that shows how the system behaved under the load and provide performance statistics.

How has it helped my organization?

By using this tool, a performance engineer was able to identify performance bottlenecks, and after fixes was applied, overall product quality improved.

What needs improvement?

It would be very useful if there was a mechanism to schedule performance runs.

For example, a mechanism to automatically schedule performance tests execution, by using the calendar scheduler. This way, it would be possible to schedule multiple runs overnight, without the need to manually start each performance test.

I have used BlazeMeter with JMeter 3.0 and Java 1.8 for six months.

Stability was great; no issues.

Scalability was great; no issues.

I did not contact support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

I think prices are reasonable.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent and reliable tool. I liked it very much.

it_user602418
Test Manager
It helps us procure the required load generation infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Load generation over cloud is the most valuable feature. This feature is most valuable for us because we use BlazeMeter for load testing. This helps us procure the required load generation infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

I have used BlazeMeter personally and my experience has been:

Whenever we want to provision more load generators (10 or more), it takes too long to initiate the test. Sometimes, the load generators have not even started and after waiting for 10 minutes or more, we get to know that we need to restart. This creates an awkward situation, when the client is also monitoring live execution and waiting for the test to start.

I have come across multiple instances, where the actual test was run for x hours but the server hours that were deducted from my account, were on the basis of x+1 hours. I have to keep monitoring the usage report frequently and request for credit back of all such server hours. Although, I get them back without any argument with the BlazeMeter team but still, it creates an overhead for me.

It needs to improve the server hour calculation and the provisioning of load generation machines.

I have used this solution for more than six months.

We had some stability issues; sometimes the load generators do not start at all.

We encountered some scalability issues. The start time for load test increases with the increase in number of users to be simulated.

I would give the technical support a 5/10.

The setup was straightforward.

The pricing could be more competitive.

We did not evaluate any other options.

it_user574479
Principal Consultant - Business Analysis / Project Management / Account Management at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
A cost effective way to scale our existing JMeter load tests.

What is most valuable?

The ability to scale JMeter tests easily. This isn't possible with traditional load testing approaches.

How has it helped my organization?

BlazeMeter allows us to easily run our existing load testing solutions at massive scale.

All of our consultants can use BlazeMeter. Traditionally our tests were run in JMeter and this was limited to technical users. BlazeMeter allows the use of the same tests but in a more user-friendly environment where all of our consultants can run the tests and access the results.

BlazeMeter is a cost effective way to scale our existing JMeter load tests.

What needs improvement?

Running of multi-tests could be improved to make it easier to create them. Apart from that nothing else springs to mind.

The application has been stable in most of our tests to date. We experience the odd bug, but BlazeMeter are quick to resolve any issues.

We have tested up to hundreds of thousands of concurrent users and the system performed well.

Easy to use and effective.

Initial setup is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I look at ease of use, support, product maturity, and their partner model.

BlazeMeter is a great solution to run your existing tests. You will need detailed knowledge of JMeter to get the most out of your testing and BlazeMeter offer comprehensive training if you are new to this.

Chief Technology Officer at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
We like the ability to run a test repeatedly and that it is easy to make small changes to the test.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to make small changes to the test without reconfiguration, so we could step increases in load and find the limits without risk in breaking the test scripts. Consistent testing allows for confidence in the results and ease of use by the team.
  • Integration with New Relic - provides insight as to why the test had the results and how we can improve them. New Relic was already in our tool belt, so it was nice to not need to change to an unfamiliar tool.

How has it helped my organization?

Provided an easy to use tool to measure the performance of our most critical business application, along with the expertise of BlazeMeter to properly generate the test case.

It has allowed us to test the impact of vendor updates to their software on the performance of the web component, which we are now doing as updates get released (6 month release cycle, so only one retest thus far).

System Administrators are performing the testing, as the software isn't ours and we don't presently develop our own software this was a new need and we don't have anything to compare to other than anecdotal evidence from users. We were able to compare results post-testing by comparing Google Analytics data and found that the improvements we put into place as result of the testing did have positive effect on both pageload and generation timings along with improving the overall conversion rate for the tool as well.

What needs improvement?

It's a rather expensive tool for running just a few tests — which is our primary use case, if there was a pricing structure that met our use case price wouldn’t be of concern. Worth noting is that we requested they donate our use of the tool — and they did donate the tool for our use — so it did not cost us anything (which we are very thankful for as a nonprofit).

We encountered no stability issues in using it.

We encountered no scalability issues, though we were testing at relatively low volumes.

Any questions we had were addressed promptly by knowledgeable individuals.

We wanted a solution that was easy to interpret and wouldn't require custom tooling beyond building the test. JMeter was the right tool for the job, and BlazeMeter's expertise and easy to use interface allowed us to readily view and compare results without needing to build a custom workflow.

Creating the JMeter test case required some time on our part, partially due to JMeter not supporting JavaScript and the application we were testing requires JavaScript support. We were able to create a test to work around that limitation, but that's more due to BlazeMeter utilizing JMeter than it being a limitation of BlazeMeter as a platform.

Cost is critical as a non-profit, and they donated our access as noted prior. Functionality is also critical — and they had the function we needed, were easy to configure, and integrated with New Relic which saved us a lot of time.

The alternative was to use Open Source tools to analyze the results, this solution was selected as we felt it would be faster and easier than rolling a custom solution which just wasn't warranted for how simple our situation is.

What other advice do I have?

It's free and easy to sign up and try, so give it a whirl and see if it meets your requirements. We found it met ours and more, helping us gain confidence from our customers and solve a nagging problem in the performance of a third-party application.

Download our free Performance Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Apache, Micro Focus, and more!