LQ
Executive Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A mature product with good automation and very good stability

• "The product itself is quite mature."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved. It's a bit expensive right now. They should work to make it more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for test evaluation. It makes the process very easy.

What is most valuable?

The automation of the processes are very good. It's the most valuable feature of the solution.

The product itself is quite mature.

What needs improvement?

At this point in time, we're very satisfied with the solution. I'm not seeing any features that are missing on it. I handle the business development side and I'm not really using the solution on a technical level, however.

I've been using the solution for about three years.

The stability of the solution is quite good. We haven't come across any glitches.

The solution is quite scalable and robust.

Right now, we have about 15 to 20 people in the company using it.

We've used technical support from Blue Prism in the past and we've been satisfied with the level of service they've provided. We find that we get good service and support from them.

We do tend to use different solutions. We don't use the same solution for every client or even the same kind of implementation.

The initial setup was quite complex. In comparison to other RPA implementations, it's difficult. We had some difficulties when it came to estimating the actual amount of man-hours it would take to set up the solution, and the actual effort needed.

The deployment took a few weeks. We had seven people working on it. Most were engineers. Once it's set up, however, it only takes about one person to handle the maintenance.

We handled the entire implementation in-house using our own team.

Although I don't know the exact costs, my understanding is that there are different definitions of licenses.

We evaluate many options when seeking out what will work best for our clients and their projects. We often look at, for example, UiPath and Automation Anywhere. Ultimately, the client will decide on which solution to use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm quite sure that we are using the latest version of the solution.

We're a software company, so we develop applications and solutions for other companies. If the client looks at Blue Prism and wants it as the robot that will be used as the implementation tool, then that's when we'll use it.

I'd recommend the solution. Blue Prism is a good product. I'd recommend that others make sure that the effort, in terms of the estimation of time and man-hours needed are done in a proper manner. Users implementing the solution need to make sure that they know the processes in detail. They need to understand the manual processes before they can actually automate them. This will help achieve a better estimation of costs.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

SB
Head of Solution Development at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Provides flexibility and simplicity in building automation

• "The ease of building automation and the development environment"
  • "Lacking advance features like CIO and optical character recognition"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for automation. To date, we have automated approximately 50 use cases for different functions including finance, order management and fuel pricing. Most of our projects are finance-related and we use the product on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be Object studio - the ease of building automation, the development environment where you basically build the flows and the logic. The other aspect of value is its support for security controls and data integrity.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by including advance features like OCR - optical character recognition - which are currently not native to the product. We are looking at integrating Blue Prism with other products. They've told us that Blue Prism Decipher is coming with intelligent document processing solution, but I haven't seen it.

It would be good to see OCR integration and OCR capabilities included in the solution and, of course, going forward, artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities.

I've been using the product for the past year.

We haven't had any major crashes or bugs in the product.

It's quite a scalable product.

Technical support have been very responsive.

We previously used a different solution that was a desktop-based automation tool. Blue Prism is a server-based product that is a more mature and stable product compared to what we were using earlier. The differences between the two products are not related to whether it's on cloud or not, this is just a better solution.

Initial setup was not too difficult, the difficult part was our own infrastructure and the cloud set up. We had internal resources and consultants helping. The  whole setup and deployment of the solution took almost three months which included architecture of the infrastructure, installing Blue Prism and starting automation.

We have developed in-house capability on RPA, though we did get initial support from external consultants.

It's a little too early for us to be able to judge the ROI because we have a long-term view of investment and returns. We expect the return to pay off in four to five years, and we're still only in the second year. If you take the complete investment in the whole Blue Prism RPA center of excellence the ROI is still a few years away, but initial results look promising.

We pay to receive enterprise support, so that should be taken into account for anyone wanting to implement the system.

Yes. Along with Blue Prism we evaluated Automation Anywhere, UI Path and NICE.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that anyone using this solution leverage expertise from Blue Prism, which is offered for the first six months. The consultancy advisory services are useful.

I would rate this product an 8 out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Blue Prism Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MT
RPA Lead Architect and Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Clear and consistent tool that offers valuable debugging features

• "Once it does the monitor, it collects the respective data and creates an output that is required for reconfiguration."
  • "The main issue is screen scraping with Blue Prism gives us a big challenge because we need to define which technologies are web-based have been built instead of by itself discovering the technology that it is built on."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for reconfiguration. We use it to do our monthly reconfiguration reports. We have an Excel sheet and it logs in to a web-based application and needs to compare the monetary amount of each and every agent of the product. Once it does the monitor, it collects the respective data and creates an output that is required for reconfiguration.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we use version 6. Solution 6 has better features when compared to the 4.5 version. The main issue is screen scraping with Blue Prism gives us a big challenge because we need to define which technologies are web-based and have been built as opposed to it discovering the technology that it is built on. Whether it's a Window-based or Java-based application.

I have been using Blue Prism for about the last two and a half years.

In terms of scalability, we have a control tool where we can add a respective robot. We do automation through the control tool and deploy the solution to let us procure the machine. We can use the scalability for a lot of different issues but the control room itself does not have the dashboard kind of ability. It really doesn't have the ability to monitor how many bots there are.

We used to contact Blue Prism for license parts and if we need another consultant.

Technical support is not as flexible as UiPath but it is very low profile maintained technical support. They fix issues that commonly occur in our RP. Everybody can know the types of issues that can occur and the solutions for them. But they offer very restricted support, only the team would know how to resolve an issue. Blue Prism doesn't offer public solutions to common issues whereas UiPath is really transparent. It offers different solutions to the world.

The initial setup is really straightforward overall. Whereas the other tools require more space for installations.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very consistent end product but recently, I don't think they have any more upgrades to release. It's a very clear and consistent tool but it's restricted when it comes to the ability to integrate with other tools.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would rate it this because when compared with UiPath and Automation Anywhere, they do not provide the debugging option and other features that Blue Prism does. Blue Prism offers a better solution.

Sumanth-Babu
Application Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good user performance with an easy deployment and reliable stability

• "The user performance is the most valuable feature."
  • "The cost is a bit high. Other tools are much cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

In general, we have primarily used the solution to automate a few processes related to payments, accounts payable, and account queries.

What is most valuable?

The user performance is the most valuable feature.

The ease of deployment is great.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to simplify the user interface. It could be much better and much more appealing.

The cost is a bit high. Other tools are much cheaper.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't faced any problems with it yet and have not run into any bugs or glitches.

We haven't yet scaled extensively, but the solution allows for enough scalability to meet our needs.

We have about 15-20 people currently using the solution. Most are admins, engineers or developers.

I've never personally been in touch with technical support, but my team has been. Since I haven't been directly in touch myself, I cannot speak about any direct experience.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is the first product we've implemented.

The initial setup is straightforward. However, those setting up the solution are required to have some a bit of knowledge on the product itself. Deployment took about four months because our use case was quite complicated.

We handled the implementation ourselves with the help of some people on our team.

We pay about $15,000 per quarter in licensing costs. We don't have to pay for any other extra costs. There isn't, for example, an extra cost for technical support. We just pay the licensing.

We evaluated a lot of other solutions before deciding on this solution. We evaluated, for example, Automation Anywhere and UiPath.

What other advice do I have?

I can't remember the version we're currently using.

If you are a company that is looking for a solution that is easy to deploy, this would be the perfect solution for you. There are other options to look at as well, so it might be good to compare before choosing one.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

LT
Research Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good security and scales well, but the pricing needs to be more clear

• "The most valuable feature is security."
  • "The vendor does not make their pricing clear when you are searching for it, which is something that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and we provide consultancy services to our clients. Part of our service is the recommendation of products and solutions to fit the requirements of our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security.

What needs improvement?

The vendor does not make their pricing clear when you are searching for it, which is something that needs to be improved. When we are researching solutions for our clients, it is important for us to be able to give them at least some generic prices or the cost of licenses. It would help in the decision-making process.

This particular product from Blue Prism is new for us and we have only been working with it for about a month.

Stability is one of the ingrained qualities. Where it is deployed, it has to work smoothly.

It is important that when updates are released, they are easily manageable. That is one of the important things.

This is the type of solution that has to be scalable.

We have not had a need to contact technical support at this point.

The initial setup and deployment are complex. It is being deployed over multiple locations in the public sector. There are a number of branch offices and the different units have to be able to work together. It is also important that we minimize disturbance and interference with their operations during the deployment.

The deployment takes place over months.

We are in the process of evaluating several solutions for our clients. One problem with Blue Prism is that compared to Automation Anywhere, it is lacking in publically available information that describes it. This makes it more difficult for our customers to make an informed decision about implementing it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
AI
Business Application Manager at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Customizable, a GUI that is easy to use, and the community support is good

• "The most valuable feature is the customizability."
  • "Having more AI functionality would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Blue Prism for unattended automation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the customizability. It is very easy to edit packages, where you can download a package and it is 90% of the way there.

The GUI is nice.

What needs improvement?

Having more AI functionality would be an improvement.

We have been using Blue Prism for two months.

This is the most stable RPA product that I have reviewed.

We have three developers working with the product and there are 60 or 70 end-users who are benefiting from the automation.

I have only reached out to technical support on one occasion and I felt that it was fine.

The community support and documentation are much better than I thought.

The initial setup is straightforward. Installing the software might take a few hours.

I am working with a partner but they just sent me the disk and I installed it myself.

In addition to Blue Prism, I evaluated UiPath and Automation Anywhere. I found that Blue Prism was the most stable and it is very reusable. These are the two reasons that I selected the product.

We did not choose Automation Anywhere because it was the wrong type of automation. We wanted a more unattended bot. It is more for people with no programming skills.

The difference between Blue Prism and UiPath is that with Blue Prism, we were able to ramp up better. We took the training for both products and implemented the same five use cases. For me, it was more painful to do it in UiPath.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I haven't found anything that I can't do with this platform. It is a product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

SN
Senior Program Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good backend office automation capabilities and competitively priced

• "This solution comes with a lot of good features."
  • "Selecting the right business processes that are stable enough to automate can be challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and we implement RPA solutions for our customers, such as the Blue Prism Thoughtonomy Virtual Workforce.

We have implemented this solution in a number of different industries including IT, insurance, banking, consumer industries, and retail. We have used it in any industry that you can name, including the airlines.

The deployment model and environment vary based on the requirements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backend office automation.

This solution comes with a lot of good features.

What needs improvement?

Introducing new ways to accelerate the automation journey would be a real help.

I have been using Blue Prism for more than ten years.

This solution is pretty stable. Some of our clients have automated complex processes and it works well. We have seen no issues with it.

We have not seen any problems with technical support. Extended support and training are available.

We use multiple RPA products including UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism, WinAutomation, and WorkFusion. The choice of product depends on the customer and their requirements.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the use case. There are deployments that happen in a week, whereas in other cases, it will take a month or two. It is a question of finding the right process to automate and validating stability. Really, it is more about governance and how they go about process discovery.

There are many RPA solutions available from different vendors and the pricing for Blue Prism is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of RPA vendors available, each with pros and cons. Blue Prism has a lot of capability but the key concern is identifying business processes that can be automated.

Prasad Gangiredla
Technology Director at Randstad USA
Good automation for Google Sheets, and offers support for custom coding

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to write custom code."
  • "I would like to see a web-based control room, rather than the one that is in-built with the desktop version."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Blue Prism for the automation of Google Sheets. We were helping our finance department in automating their processes that include Google Sheets, email, and web-based applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The latest version, 6.6, has introduced a lot of new features that are helping to make our lives easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to write custom code. This makes it more helpful than Automation Anywhere or other RPA tools.

The control room is good.

In the latest update, the Google Sheets automation works well. In the prior five versions, this was not user-friendly and did not work well.

The visualizations for different automations are good.

What needs improvement?

Integration with different databases would be an improvement because there are certain things that are not compatible with Blue Prism.

The is much improvement needed in the hyper-automation components, such as insights.

We would like to have more reusable components from different vendors, as it would make things easier for us. For example, drag-and-drop downloads that can be used within our automations.

We have been using Blue Prism for more than three years.

We are using both Automation Anywhere and Blue Prism for automating our processes. The ability to write custom code in Blue Prism makes it more helpful than Automation Anywhere.

Private Cloud
Download our free Blue Prism Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.