BMC Helix Discovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BMC Helix Discovery is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top IT Asset Management tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: BMC Helix Discovery vs ServiceNow

What is BMC Helix Discovery?

BMC Discovery, formerly ADDM, is a digital enterprise management solution that automates asset discovery and application dependency mapping to build a holistic view of all your data center assets and the relationships between them.

BMC Helix Discovery is also known as Discovery, ADDM, Atrium Discovery & Dependency Mapping.

Download the IT Asset Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

BMC Helix Discovery Customers

Windstream Communications, News UK, Mercator Group, Wageningen University and Research Centre (WUR)

BMC Helix Discovery Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BMC Helix Discovery pricing:
  • "BMC is available for a reasonable price compared to ServiceNow — it's half the price."

BMC Helix Discovery Reviews

Arben Klaiqi
Configuration Management Lead at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good data modelling and excellent technical support

• "The data models are the most useful aspect of the solution."
  • "The monitoring tools could be more stable."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used on event management flows to automate items. It has mapping capabilities to help the organization to see what they have in terms of infrastructure. You're able to see if there's an outage or certain KPIs, and so on. It can do many useful things.

What is most valuable?

The data models are the most useful aspect of the solution.

The product has been quite stable.

There are plenty of item capabilities that make the solution excellent.

The technical support is excellent and extremely helpful, even though they know we are not continuing with their product.

The scalability is pretty good.

The deployment is very fast.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring tools could be more stable. Their TrueSight offering isn't as good as it could be.

I've worked with BMC Remedy products since 2008 and Helix Discovery since it was deployed in 2019. It's been approximately one and a half years.

The solution is a giant when it comes to enterprise service management. With ServiceNow Discovery, you have to have it in every region or in every data center, with a mid-server available in order to be able to scan the devices. Right now, we have only 2 servers. Once we move to Service Now, we'll have 27 mid servers in all of the locations to be able to scan what we can scan today using Discovery.

The scalability is much better in BMC Discovery rather than Service Now as you can integrate with basically everything - including APIs and tools. While in ServiceNow, you have to build patterns to be able to do the same tasks. It's not as out-of-the-box.

We have approximately 185,000 users. Ours is a massive worldwide company.

We will not increase usage. Unfortunately, our plan is to de-install it in January.

Technical support has been great.

We use premier support, which BMC offers, and I have never met more professional people than those who work in India. They are great. Even now, when they know that we are going to de-install their product, they are helpful. They reach out to us and offer help, even inside information, like how should we do certain tasks. They offer so much help. I'm impressed with them.

While we are still working with BMC products, we are going to switch now to ServiceNow.

For BMC Discovery, it took approximately two to three hours to be able to open all the ports and firewalls and stuff like that and to install the application. The application itself took five minutes, and therefore it was not so hard.

If you compare it to ServiceNow, it's approximately the same. Mostly, it was internal processes that slowed us down. The installations themselves are very, very fast.

I have a team that backs me up. I'm working as a service asset and configuration management lead. I've got a managed services team sitting in Bangalore that helps me with the operational side.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of any consultants or integrators or any outside help at all.

We do need to pay a licensing fee, although I'm not sure what the exact cost is. You have a floating license, which does not cost anything. However, when it comes to fixed licenses, such as licensing for administrators and stuff like that, you have to pay.

I can say that they are far less expensive than ServiceNow, which is quite costly.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with BMC.

We're using the latest versions of the solution within our organization.

We use both on-premises and cloud deployment models at this time.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

AR
RPA-WLA BU DIRECTOR at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable and easy to setup

• "A valuable feature concerns the ability to integrate with different solutions."
  • "It would be nice to see more updates to the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the latest version, which is 20.

We use the solution to explore the infrastructure, servers and network devices, in respect of the database, services and storage devices and the topology into the devices.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature concerns the ability to integrate with different solutions. BMC Helix Discovery can integrate with BMC Helix ITSM and ServiceNow ITSM. ServiceNow is another solution, and so BMC Helix Discovery provides the information and data about the devices. It is important to have visibility of the complete infrastructure in one's organization.

What needs improvement?

While I consider the solution to be good, it should better be able to integrate with other solutions.

The solution does not offer 100 percent availability, but 99 to 99.5 percent.

It would be nice to see more updates to the solution. Every two months it delivers new features which contain new infrastructure and configurations.

I have been using BMC Helix Discovery for a long time, eight years.

The solution can be scaled without a problem to match the growth of one's organization. This can be done easily, as the resources can be rolled to the infrastructure solution.

There are two types of support, that of the vendor and the other being full time. We are prioritized and receive the support only in English. The other support, which is global, involves the partner and is conducted in one's local language. The support can be provided with ease and customers state their preference as being in the local language.

In brief, the support is provided quickly. It varies with the priority level of the request.

The initial setup is easy.

While it varies with the number of discovered devices, implementation of the solution lasts two weeks.

It takes, perhaps, a couple of weeks to discover 200 devices. In a month, one can use the complete solution and have the benefit of its use.

The primary functionality of the solution ranks well against other solutions in its ability to discover the topology of devices, the connection into them and its relationship with different services.

What other advice do I have?

We can use the solution both on-premises and on-cloud.

I would recommend this solution to others. It provides beneficial information.

I rate BMX Helix Discovery as a nine out of ten, as it is a good solution, but it should have better integrative capabilities with others.

Find out what your peers are saying about BMC, ServiceNow, Device42 and others in IT Asset Management. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Arben Klaiqi
Configuration Management Lead at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automates application discovery and dependency mapping

• "BMC provides great support. As managed service support, they are gold."
  • "The CMDB could be improved. Getting data from the CMDB is the greatest challenge."

What is most valuable?

The modeling, service mapping. The start anywhere application mapping approach is actually a really good solution for those who use map services.

What needs improvement?

Also, integration with the system, the platform itself, can be difficult. For best results, you need to integrate with internal vendors.

I have been using this solution for roughly six years.

BMC provides great support. As managed service support, they are gold. It's not the product itself, it's the managed service. They make this product; they can do whatever you want. They can build everything — it's perfect.

BMC is available for a reasonable price compared to ServiceNow — it's half the price.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.