BMC Helix Discovery Overview

BMC Helix Discovery is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top IT Asset Management tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: BMC Helix Discovery vs ServiceNow

What is BMC Helix Discovery?

BMC Discovery, formerly ADDM, is a digital enterprise management solution that automates asset discovery and application dependency mapping to build a holistic view of all your data center assets and the relationships between them.

BMC Helix Discovery is also known as Discovery, ADDM, Atrium Discovery & Dependency Mapping.

Download the IT Asset Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

BMC Helix Discovery Customers

Windstream Communications, News UK, Mercator Group, Wageningen University and Research Centre (WUR)

BMC Helix Discovery Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Doug Hynes
Manager, Solutions Engineering at Fusion
The initial setup is amazingly straightforward because the entire system is provided as a virtual deployment

What is our primary use case?

BMC Discovery for our customers is a tool that you can put in your data center to discover all the different data center tooling for servers, physical or virtual, storage, etc. Or, BMC offers a cloud-based solution, which can also do the same level detail in your data center. In addition, it now has the features to be able to go and discover things on Azure, AWS, GCloud, etc.

• "It is agentless, which means you don't have to install anything on all the different pieces of hardware that you are looking to discover."
  • "It now comes with a very flexible deployment solution, whether you want to keep it inside your data center or want to have the cloud, depending on if you're cloud forward or not."
  • "The speed at which it's able to collect a wide-range of information, then make it useful for you, like asset management, knowledge management, and incident management."
  • "I would like to see the ability to scan some of the newer cloud platforms. I know that BMC has them on the roadmap, and they are coming soon, but they can't come fast enough. Being able to scan more of GCloud, Alibaba Cloud, or whatever the public clouds that our customers are buying, we need to make sure that Discovery can find them as well."

What other advice do I have?

Whenever a customer says "I wish the solution had the ability to find this device," I can generally say "Well, it can." That's why I'm so proud that BMC sells this tool and I'm able to provide it. It's because whenever a customer says "Can you find this? Can it discover this?" Yes, it can. I have very little experience where a customer has asked me "Can you find this," and I'm not able to find it. In terms of the tools that BMC sells and tools like this on the market, there is no match. It is a ten out of ten.
Technical Consultant - Service Assurance & Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Accuracy and clarity are vastly improved for the service lines

What is our primary use case?

We use the tool to deliver our Configuration Management service - asset discovery and service modelling.

• "Start anywhere application modelling brings a fantastic opportunity for users to see what is where."
  • "Accuracy and clarity are vastly improved for the service lines."
  • "A review of end of life data would be nice."
  • "Management of its own application infrastructure and integrations with other BMC tools."
Product Categories
IT Asset Management
Download our free IT Asset Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about BMC, ServiceNow, Micro Focus, and more!