HW
IT-Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
A highly-integrated solution that could be more simplified

• "It's a very integrated solution."
  • "It needs to be more comfortable for the end-user."

What is our primary use case?

Overall, within our company, there are over 15,000 end-users and 400 incident management members using this solution.

What is most valuable?

You can do some customizing if you want, which is great. It's a very integrated solution. You have incident management, change management, release management, and asset management — all of these things work very well together.

What needs improvement?

Their customer service catalog (where a customer can order some products) could be improved. This product is not the best, but they are working on it.

It needs to be more comfortable for the end-user. You need to be able to order some products.

I have been using this solution for over ten years.

This solution is very stable.

It's very easy to scale. You can connect one server to another and scale them together if you want.

We have a support partner that handles all of our BMC support-related issues.

For us, the initial setup was complex because we needed a lot of customization done.

We have a team of four staff members, including myself, who look after all maintenance-related issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend BMC Helix ITSM. There are two solutions to look out for: BMC and ServiceNow. I think both solutions are great solutions but I can't say which one is better.

For a smaller company, a solution like JIRA Help Desk may be better. BCM can be quite complex as there are many modules that are not easy to handle.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

If they improved the workflow and processes, simplified the initial setup, improved the UI, and the digital workplace catalog for the end-users, then I would give this solution a rating of 10.

Will Sefara
Managing Director at Will Consulting
Digital workplace is good; log in process is unnecessarily complicated

• "The digital workplace is appealing."
  • "Log in process is unnecessarily complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a service management specialist and I'm in partnership with BMC.

What is most valuable?

I like the digital workplace, it's an appealing feature for me.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues with the solution is the requirement to provide a lot of information in order to log a request. I'm not talking about end users, technicians or engineers need to provide too much information to initiate a work order or an incident. It doesn't flow; access should require minimal effort. They should consider using ITIL principles and not just IT.

The initial setup required an engineer for configuration, to load data on the system. The datasheet form isn't user friendly, a client wouldn't be able to fill it in, a tech savvy person is required.

I like the tools BMC offers but it's very expensive.  The pricing model needs to be revisited.

What other advice do I have?

BMC is definitely not for small businesses, especially those in Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. It's difficult to get small businesses onto BMC because of the cost. For functionality, I would give this solution an eight out of 10 but I have a serious problem with the pricing and that brings my rating down to a six.

Learn what your peers think about BMC Helix ITSM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Practice Director, Global Infrastructure Services at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Lightweight and easy to use but integration could be better

• "Helix is more lightweight than these tools. It's a traditional tool that was developed more than 10 years ago. Ease of use is the operative word."
  • "Integration could be better. If something doesn't work well with some tools and operations, then management becomes difficult, so you have to integrate other tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use BMC Helix for application discovery and dependency mapping the area of the nCode. It's one of the best programs we've used. We usually serve around 10 to 20 customers with this solution but it's fewer than 10 now.

What is most valuable?

Many other tools are similar. I've used these tools and find that they meet my requirements. Helix is more lightweight than these tools. It's a traditional tool that was developed more than 10 years ago. Ease of use is the operative word.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. If something doesn't work well with some tools and operations, then management becomes difficult, so you have to integrate other tools.

We've been using Helix for at least 10 years.

It is very stable and scalable.

I haven't really done the installation, so I do not know how complex it is.

The license is yearly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, I would rate it a seven. Before adopting, I would recommend evaluating how well all the options are suited to your requirements.

PB
Head of Customer Operations at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Good support and follows good standards and frameworks

• "The standards and the framework that it follows are most valuable. It has an ITIL and out-of-the-box framework."
  • "They should add some of the bolt-ons into the initial setup, such as chat."

What is our primary use case?

It is basically in for the management and problem management.

What is most valuable?

The standards and the framework that it follows are most valuable. It has an ITIL and out-of-the-box framework.

What needs improvement?

Certain features can be improved. We find ourselves having to make a lot of customizations to make things work for us.

They should add some of the bolt-ons into the initial setup, such as chat.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is reasonably good.

It is scalable.

Their technical support is pretty good.

It was quite complex from memory. It was over three years ago, but it was quite complex.

We did evaluate other options. There were business reasons for choosing BMC over other providers.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise making sure that you have the expertise to administer the system.

I would rate BMC Helix ITSM an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud